Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Tried incorporating some of readingatwork's comments. I lightened the big panel, and went for slightly fewer saturated colors. Anyway, I am done fiddling with this page, I've been working on it for way too long!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I really like the color palette you went for with the city! I think the increased amount of white helps convey the coastal city element too :)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Tried incorporating some of readingatwork's comments. I lightened the big panel, and went for slightly fewer saturated colors. Anyway, I am done fiddling with this page, I've been working on it for way too long!!

Nice! Definitely an improvement!

Kota
Jul 17, 2002

I paid how much for this?!

DrSunshine posted:

Oh man, that looks great! You've definitely leveled up!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

readingatwork posted:

A couple thoughts.

First, I love the line art. That city is fantastically designed and the detail is amazing. The coloring though isn’t working for me at all. It’s messily applied, which conflicts with the more precise line art, and feels “muddy”, as you said.

A lot of this is caused by the colors you use for base colors and shadows. As a general rule if you are lighting an object with a warm light the shadow will be a cool color, usually a gray-blue of some kind(and the opposite goes for cool lighting). You should NOT be just using a darker version of the base color. Ever. Here’s an incredibly lovely example of what I’m talking about with a yellowish light source.

Also, desaturate your brightest colors a bit. I’m seeing several colors here that are at 100% saturation and that’s generally a big no-no. Particularly regarding blue, which is an attention hog to begin with. If an element isn’t supposed to aggressively dominate a scene consider dragging that color bar a bit more towards gray.

Finally, limit your color pallets a bit more. Your cityscape has colors from all over the color wheel. Try instead to find 2 or 3 major colors and a couple slight variations of each and then work with just that. As long as it’s clear what’s light/shadow or warm/cool you can get away with a LOT even if it’s not perfectly accurate to real life.

Hope that’s helpful. Feel free to ignore me if somebody who actually knows what they’re talking about chimes in.

E: And yes, practice like mad. That’s always the most useful thing.

thanks, I lot of sound advice.
Also, some of these bright colors will disappear when converted to CMYK, though, I don't know if anybody still cares about printing, but I have to.

I got a bit of a shock that I found a magazine publisher who will actually pay for a side project that I handed in for a subsidy.
I even got a small subsidy from the Flemish government too. Though, that's more for a more alternative project that I'll be doing after this album, I guess.
This will be more of a 'broad audience' comic about a mid-life crisis dude, who decides to start skateboarding again after 30 loving years.
ABSOLUTELY NOT based on real life in any way.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

Also, some of these bright colors will disappear when converted to CMYK, though, I don't know if anybody still cares about printing, but I have to.

It's been a while since I've dealt with printing but I remember that being a huge issue as well.

DrSunshine: You may want to do a test print of one of your comics to see if you'll hit any snags with color fidelity since I remember that blue is one of the colors that looks the most different when printed. On a screen it really pops because it's being made with light but on paper it looks way more dull.

quote:

Congratulations! It came out good. I love that I can tell exactly what's going on even though I can't read a single word of it.

Well, except for "huh?". Apparently that word is universal.

Do you have a Twitter/website/etc I can follow your art at? (The same goes for everybody in the thread btw I'd love to add people to my reading list)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

readingatwork posted:

Do you have a Twitter/website/etc I can follow your art at? (The same goes for everybody in the thread btw I'd love to add people to my reading list)

Well, I have my website
http://mrfart.be/
which has a 'new' old comic strip weekly, but I should really translate some newer comics in English and upload them.
Same goes for tapas:
https://tapas.io/series/Captain-Anchovy

sometimes I put them on twitter but I often forget.
I tried insta, but basically had to re-cut everything, and didn't want to bother.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

It's been a while since I've dealt with printing but I remember that being a huge issue as well.

DrSunshine: You may want to do a test print of one of your comics to see if you'll hit any snags with color fidelity since I remember that blue is one of the colors that looks the most different when printed. On a screen it really pops because it's being made with light but on paper it looks way more dull.

Ok, maybe, but I don't think I ever said I intended on it ever being printed! The thought of seeing my comic on paper has literally never crossed my mind until I read mrfart's post! Maybe someday I'll purchase a domain for it or something.

EDIT:

I forgot to do a cover page!! So I made one.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 13, 2020

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Workin' on a little comic for my 6th grade students - I'm doing an online summer course to teach some of the fundamentals of cartooning, ie, character design, composition, layout, etc, and I'm making 3 'story prompts' for them to pick up and take any way they want. This is the first, the beginning of a sci-fi story. I love drawing these simple, big-headed characters, which I've dubbed 'Bobs', and I've deliberately tried to design everything with simple shapes that shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 15, 2020

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Your "Bobs" are adorable, can I be one of your students?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Your "Bobs" are adorable, can I be one of your students?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Workin' on a little comic for my 6th grade students - I'm doing an online summer course to teach some of the fundamentals of cartooning, ie, character design, composition, layout, etc, and I'm making 3 'story prompts' for them to pick up and take any way they want. This is the first, the beginning of a sci-fi story. I love drawing these simple, big-headed characters, which I've dubbed 'Bobs', and I've deliberately tried to design everything with simple shapes that shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

They remind me of Kerbals :jeb: I like them!

Will you be teaching the kids about coloring too? The clean linework seems ripe for color, and I'm wondering what you'd picture for it? It'd also be interesting to see what the students' interpretations would be as well.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

DrSunshine posted:

They remind me of Kerbals :jeb: I like them!

Will you be teaching the kids about coloring too? The clean linework seems ripe for color, and I'm wondering what you'd picture for it? It'd also be interesting to see what the students' interpretations would be as well.

Don't really have enough time to color anything, but the kids usually do their own thing!

Well, if you want to see some of them colored - I've been using comics for my classes for a long time, but only as a prompt for english dialogue. I scanned a ton of 'em and put them up over here - https://bobworldblog.wordpress.com/- Here's a few choice ones -

EDIT - Just about wrapping up the other 2 comic prompts.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 17, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
So good so good so good :allears:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally started making a comic called John Doe about a guy stuck in a computer simulation. My goal is to get the first chapter done before the end of the year (approx 12 pages). Let's see how far we get!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Godspeed in drawing that hallway floor 100000 times

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm getting a bit of a Jhonen Vasquez feel from the character drawing style, and I am digging it. It is somewhat of an incongruously-detailed hallway, especially the floor, and I wonder if the detail in the flooring takes away some of the attention from the other details of the surroundings?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

Godspeed in drawing that hallway floor 100000 times

Well we leave the house at the end of the chapter so when you think about it it's really only about 100 times more! (Okay now I'm debating burning the house down on page 6. You can do that in a computer right?)

DrSunshine posted:

I'm getting a bit of a Jhonen Vasquez feel from the character drawing style, and I am digging it. It is somewhat of an incongruously-detailed hallway, especially the floor, and I wonder if the detail in the flooring takes away some of the attention from the other details of the surroundings?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah you might be right. I'll probably dial the details back a bit on future pages.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I used comic easel on my crappy word press site to schedule all my comic strips twice a week for a whole year. Anybody know of a good tool to do this for twitter?
And maybe instagram. Though the latter also basically requires you to recut all of the comics into single squares and post them in series. It’s an insane amount of work.
I was hoping to use the share function on the Wordpress,but the share plugin I use doesn’t share the image, just a link on twitter.

http://mrfart.be/comic/captain-anchovy-ice-scream/

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TweetDeck allows you to schedule tweets in advance, but you'll have to input one tweet at a time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Pages 3 and 4 for the pile.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

trophynano posted:

Hey goons. I couldn't remember if I already posted here but if I did it was a while ago...

I make a webcomic called The Contradictions. It won the Eisner for Best Webcomic last summer! https://www.thecontradictions.com

I was supposed to be special guest at San Diego Comic Con this year to launch the print collection, but the event was canceled a week ago. :C so I'm doing what I can to self promote more in light of that sadly lost opportunity.

Down to chat comix. I remember being on the forums I think 14 years ago when there was a huge Sonic the Hedgehog comics fan who broke into writing for the series. That was a big inspo to me. :)

I was reading one of your interviews and realized that we actually read one of your comics in my MFA program! War of Streets and Houses :D I still think about that comic pretty often. I really like The Contradictions. Anyway I just want you to know that you are that Sonic the Hedgehog comics fan to me lol.

If it's okay for me to ask, do your students tend to come more from a background in art or in writing? For students dedicated enough to attend an MFA-level program specifically in comics, what tends to be the hardest thing they have to learn in terms of craft?

trophynano
Jun 17, 2005

Eww! Look at all these creeps! Oh my god!

Cephas posted:

I was reading one of your interviews and realized that we actually read one of your comics in my MFA program! War of Streets and Houses :D I still think about that comic pretty often. I really like The Contradictions. Anyway I just want you to know that you are that Sonic the Hedgehog comics fan to me lol.

If it's okay for me to ask, do your students tend to come more from a background in art or in writing? For students dedicated enough to attend an MFA-level program specifically in comics, what tends to be the hardest thing they have to learn in terms of craft?

Haha, that's funny. Maybe I should be careful about throwing around the ol' Sonic comics. :P

I'm not currently teaching, but at the Center for Cartoon Studies, it was a mix. The program is focused on learning to tell stories through sequential art, so it's not a prerequisite that you be fantastic with rendering skills. I would say most of the students had some visual arts background but some people drew quite crudely. I think the biggest hurdle for everyone is learning to tell stories.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I do more comic

Edit: I made a thread so I don't have to keep spamming you guys here if anybody is interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938333

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 28, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I just finished making a font for a new graphic novel. It has a lot of variants (variations of the same letter, to make a font look more natural) and ligatures (combinations of certain letters have their own variation).
It all looked perfectly well, but now I notice to my horror clip studio doesn't seem to support ligatures or variants?
It just uses the first variant of a letter and none of the ligatures.
If this is true, I'll be forced to switch between clip studio and my 10 year old copy of photoshop to type all the text.
This seems like such an important part of comic fonts that I struggle to believe it's not supported? I really hope I am doing something wrong and it is possible to use them. Maybe any of you have any experience with this.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

mrfart posted:

I just finished making a font for a new graphic novel. It has a lot of variants (variations of the same letter, to make a font look more natural) and ligatures (combinations of certain letters have their own variation).
It all looked perfectly well, but now I notice to my horror clip studio doesn't seem to support ligatures or variants?
It just uses the first variant of a letter and none of the ligatures.
If this is true, I'll be forced to switch between clip studio and my 10 year old copy of photoshop to type all the text.
This seems like such an important part of comic fonts that I struggle to believe it's not supported? I really hope I am doing something wrong and it is possible to use them. Maybe any of you have any experience with this.
You wouldn't happen to have a 10-year-old copy of Indesign, would you? Because Photoshop's text handling is horrific.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a 10-year-old copy of Indesign, would you? Because Photoshop's text handling is horrific.

If you think text handling in photoshop is bad, don’t try text in clip studio:) it would drive you nuts.
But really, the problem is having to switch between software. It’s nice to see how much space you’ll need for your text before finishing a drawing. Especially in my situation where I’ll have to put the text in 3 different languages.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am a Photoshop user trying to learn CSP and one of the nicest techniques I learned was type something in a font/size of your choice, drop opacity and use the text as an Ames guide for hand-lettering on a layer on top of the text, then turn off the text layer. That's how I handle text in Photoshop.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Reiley posted:

I am a Photoshop user trying to learn CSP and one of the nicest techniques I learned was type something in a font/size of your choice, drop opacity and use the text as an Ames guide for hand-lettering on a layer on top of the text, then turn off the text layer. That's how I handle text in Photoshop.

If it was one language, I wouldn't mind hand lettering.
That's really not an option for me. The new fonts I made with a lot of variables and ligatures become very hard to distinguish from handwritten text.
But I'll have to use something other than clip studio, seeing as the new update didn't change a thing, and apparently people have been begging for the option since at least 2015.
It's not really a priority, and maybe even an unknown problem, because the developers are Japanese.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hi goons. i've just posted a state of the nation open thread for CC. please come and share your thoughts!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

This is the first 7 pages of a 16-pager I've been working on. Anyone feel like providing some criticism? I definitely have a few weaker points in mind but I'd like to get some outside perspectives.

One question I have is about scanning - this is all done with ink on paper, and I scanned it in B&W at 600 dpi. I haven't done any touching up, but I feel like it's lost something compared to the paper version - a lot of it looks really aliased, and lines that have really different weights on paper look very similar here.

That's not the only thing I'd like to hear about, though - all critiques appreciated.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm really enjoying the facial expressions - some of them are extremely memeable. :)

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
I like it a lot! The dialogue is great and I love how you're going ham with the backgrounds.

With the scanning problem, your scanner or scanning program might be set to automatically contrast/balance your images? Some of them are automatically set up for scanning photos, not drawings. I'd check for that and then use an image editor to manually tweak the values.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
You're scanning at the correct DPI. Are you scanning straight to B&W or doing grayscale and messing with the levels sliders after the fact? Because you want to be doing the second thing. You will always loose a bit of something in the transfer of mediums though which is why I've just been digitally inking lately.

Some thoughts:

-Placeholder bullet point for "draw more stuff from real life etc etc". It comes with every critique to the point where it's tedious to hear but it's always true. Your anatomy in particular could use a bit of work when it comes to hands and facial construction. Look at panel 1 of page 7. The palm of the hand closest to the camera is too long and broken awkwardly in half. It's an unfortunate distraction in what's otherwise a fantastic expression (also props for the woman in black in the background who's fantastically done)

-I like that you are doing backgrounds and having people actually walk on the ground where you can see their feet. That sounds facetious but you'd be shocked how few people actually do this and their work suffers badly for it. On top of that your environments are detailed, use actual perspective, and do a fantastic job communicating the location to the audience. Keep doing this! The only thing I'd advise is to look into adding bits of texture here and there to make them feel a bit more like real objects

-Your expressions either really work or really don't. The three panels of on page 3? Fantastic, I love them :discourse:. The woman on page 4? ...not so much. Her face is very lumpy and, more importantly, doesn't communicate her emotions clearly. Also, pull back a bit on your cheekbones and eyebrow ridges, as these are easy to over exaggerate when doing a quasi-realistic style and do a few studies on jawlines of various types as these are all over the place in your drawings.

-Think a bit more about your floors. I'm seeing a lot of blank space that could be filled with tile patterns or asphalt textures that better communicate what people are walking on. Looking at panel one of page four (the Costco entrance) I feel like there's a lot of ambiguity as to what the ground is made of there. Is it sidewalk? The street? You put lines down because you understand the empty space needs to be filled with something but what do the lines actually represent? Perhaps dots or adding cracks in the pavement would better serve your purposes here. Otherwise it's a fantastically composed drawing and I enjoy it a lot.

-Vary your line widths a bit more. Not just between foreground and background but within individual characters and objects as well. Important lines like outlines and major contour lines can be a bit thicker while minor details like facial wrinkles can be smaller. It's a little thing but it really makes a difference.

I'll judge the characters and story as a whole once it's all done but I'm curious enough to read more fwiw. Keep it up!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

-Your expressions either really work or really don't. The three panels of on page 3? Fantastic, I love them :discourse:. The woman on page 4? ...not so much. Her face is very lumpy and, more importantly, doesn't communicate her emotions clearly. Also, pull back a bit on your cheekbones and eyebrow ridges, as these are easy to over exaggerate when doing a quasi-realistic style and do a few studies on jawlines of various types as these are all over the place in your drawings.

I'd want to build on this to encourage you to practice or reference children's faces a bit more. The kid on pg 6-7 looks pretty much the same as the adults.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks, folks, especially readingatwork - very thoughtful and helpful. I'll take it to heart and post the rest of it when it's done, and maybe I'll even get around to redoing a few panels that don't work so well, like the lady on page 4. I hadn't really known what to do with the big floor areas and the advice about trying different textures is especially helpful. As for the anatomy and faces that DrSunshine also touched on, practicing that is part of the point of doing this project - I'll keep at it!

Thanks also for the advice on scanners. I don't have one myself and had to get this scanned at the UPS store so I'll get the regular grayscale next time.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Everyone else already gave all the good compliments and good criticism so all I have to add is please let us know when/if you post it somewhere so I can keep reading and followign along with this deranged dude

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

We had a mouse infestation at my work and in my experience this man isn't acting deranged enough :colbert:.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks! I'll at least post the rest here when they're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
Deleted

pop punk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 20, 2021