Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I wonder how people would feel about a “goon-made comics” thread. Basically it would be a place you can post the individual pages of whatever you are working on on a regular basis. This thread is nice for shop talk but I wouldn’t feel comfortable posting every update I make here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

readingatwork posted:

I wonder how people would feel about a “goon-made comics” thread. Basically it would be a place you can post the individual pages of whatever you are working on on a regular basis. This thread is nice for shop talk but I wouldn’t feel comfortable posting every update I make here.

No-one would read it, you can post your comics in the PYF Comics thread, and BYOB CCCC Webcomics thread, but if it's just a thread where goons post their comics it'd pretty much just be 3 - 7 of us posting at each other.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Boba Pearl posted:

No-one would read it, you can post your comics in the PYF Comics thread, and BYOB CCCC Webcomics thread, but if it's just a thread where goons post their comics it'd pretty much just be 3 - 7 of us posting at each other.

this describes my webcomic making experience as it is

I guess for some content, it's been over a year since I last worked on anything really comic related. I took a break after the last chapter ended because i n f a n t and things are still too hectic to really devote regular time these days. I'm currently stuck in a state where I need to work on the next chapter script (it was maybe 66% finished but the more I looked over it the more I realized it needed a complete overhaul), which is a really hard mind state to get into, it just requires so much... chilling? idk. And meanwhile I also wanna do other actual drawing stuff, I have ideas for little sketches and one offs I want to do but I have limited free time that is ocnstantly on the verge of being yoinked, so it's very hard to sit down and commit to doing anything

i love my baby #noregrets I just miss doing my literal only hobby

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

graven images

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Alright, looking for advice. I'm attempting photobashing for essentially the first time and I'm not 100% on how this works in terms of what's considered good/bad, or even legal. I'm not even sure I want to go with photobashing since I'm perfectly capable of drawing my own BGs just, you know... time.

A couple of proddings along with their source images:

I'm trying to progress towards a less detail-intense style, but I'm loving detail-intense by trade. :sigh:
Also if I'm majorly loving something up, please tell me! I don't know the rules on this poo poo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
When you say rules, are you talking legality, or getting like, a bunch of heat on the internet?

e: If you're photobashing, you might want to consider using img2img with AI, which takes all legality out of the question for now, but stylus artists will have a conniption if you end up on twitter.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Boba Pearl posted:

When you say rules, are you talking legality, or getting like, a bunch of heat on the internet?

e: If you're photobashing, you might want to consider using img2img with AI, which takes all legality out of the question for now, but stylus artists will have a conniption if you end up on twitter.

Legally. I'm putting together my pitch package and have someone to submit to as soon as I get my sample pages together.

I'm having a look at img2img now and waiting to see what my sample image looks like, but in all honesty I'm not... super keen on the idea of using AI. Partially because the dubious sourcing, partially because I expect to be replaced by it as a BG artist, lol.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Alright, looking for advice. I'm attempting photobashing for essentially the first time and I'm not 100% on how this works in terms of what's considered good/bad, or even legal. I'm not even sure I want to go with photobashing since I'm perfectly capable of drawing my own BGs just, you know... time.

A couple of proddings along with their source images:

I'm trying to progress towards a less detail-intense style, but I'm loving detail-intense by trade. :sigh:
Also if I'm majorly loving something up, please tell me! I don't know the rules on this poo poo.

Not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the last three are fine at least. Here's my take on each.

#1) This is the only one that ~might~ potentially get you some flak because it's the only one where you can clearly see the connection between the finished product and the source. I think the legal standard for fair use requires "sufficient transformation of the source material" but that's pretty vague and I'm not sure this use of the pic would fit the bill. It's probably fine for a pitch though since the general public won't see it (again, not a lawyer).

#2) This one is a bit in the grey area but I think it's ok since you tweaked the image a lot and you'd have to really dig to see the connection to the photo.

#3) The characters cover most of the background to the point where you can't even really see it so I think you're fine.

#4) The connection to the source photo is pretty obvious but the photo in question looks pretty old and as such is probably too old to be covered by copyright. I think you're fine here.

One thing you might want to consider is paying for some stock photos instead of grabbing random photos off the internet. Terms of use can vary by site but usually once you pay for the pic you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Also it probably goes without saying but don't try to hide the photobashing if asked about it. Just say "yeah, this is just a general indication of what it will look like. Here's my portfolio with examples of what the backgrounds might look like in practice if you're interested."

Also: These all look nice. Good job!

E: A link on the topic:

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/

The part most relevant to you is the "transformative factor" section:

quote:

The Transformative Factor: The Purpose and Character of Your Use

In a 1994 case, the Supreme Court emphasized this first factor as being an important indicator of fair use. At issue is whether the material has been used to help create something new or merely copied verbatim into another work. When taking portions of copyrighted work, ask yourself the following questions:

Has the material you have taken from the original work been transformed by adding new expression or meaning?
Was value added to the original by creating new information, new aesthetics, new insights, and understandings?

In a parody, for example, the parodist transforms the original by holding it up to ridicule. At the same time, a work does not become a parody simply because the author models characters after those found in a famous work.

Purposes such as scholarship, research, or education may also qualify as transformative uses because the work is the subject of review or commentary.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way you're abstracting them feels like you might almost be able to just reference them and recreate them by hand using your program's brushes. Like this is at least for the nature shots, it's really easy to blast out a landscape if you got something to look at to get a sense of where you want patches of grass or water or cliff lines breaking up the sky. The building ones are a different story but if you live near a city then a day of photoshooting your own photobash material might alleviate all your concerns, then it's your photographs you're bashing and buildings are buildings if you crop your shot well enough.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I posted my comic in Batman's Shameful Secret but had no idea this thread existed!

Please check out my comic Samsara which I spent the last 5-6 years scripting but finally started getting published (after joining forces with two artists) by Markosia Enterprises this year!
It's a planned 12 chapter comic with a tone that I like to best describe as "Avatar the Last Airbender meets Kingdom of Heaven". I tried to merge the flash super powered, elemental fight scenes together with the Indian/East Asian spirituality and philosophies of the former with the politics and themes of religious conflict and persecution of the latter.

Set in Arya, a fantasy setting inspired by India in the mid-1600s the story follows Lakshman, the host for the World Serpent, setting out to reconnect with his lost faith in the midst of a holy crusade between four religious factions fighting for dominance.

BSS Thread is here which has more on the characters and cover art:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4015200&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post527090470
I will probably continue to post updates in that thread but if people are interested I can keep updating here too.

Here are some sample pages:

Series is available on Amazon Kindle with 2 (of 12) chapters out so far and chapter 3 hopefully coming out in December:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MS1LDV?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tukn

If you don't like Amazon then DriveThruComics is your friend and I believe DRM free:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MS1LDV?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tukn
https://www.drivethrucomics.com/product/414644/Samsara-2

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that's rad as hell

are the formats/guidelines for printing a book on DriveThruComics about the same as printing one through DriveThruRPG? I have experience with the latter but I didn't know the former existed until like, right now, and the gears are turning but I can't find a separate publishing guidelines thing for comics

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that's rad as hell

are the formats/guidelines for printing a book on DriveThruComics about the same as printing one through DriveThruRPG? I have experience with the latter but I didn't know the former existed until like, right now, and the gears are turning but I can't find a separate publishing guidelines thing for comics

Thanks so much!

To be honest I'm not super familiar with the distribution of the comic through DriveThruComics and Amazon as the publisher Markosia has been handling all of those aspects and I basically just do the script, directing the artists as well as the lettering/any other final touch up effects.

A quick search though finds this link here:
https://www.drivethrucomics.com/join.php

Which seems to let you get setup as your own personal publisher and distributor and there's a few info tabs on what to expect with distribution.

Incidentally if you like the comic so far, chapter 3 is coming out soon on digital, I believe the preorder date is 23rd November and if I see a link I'll post it but the proper release date will be 14th December!
I absolutely love the art of this one here's a teaser:

And this is what the upcoming cover looks like:

When the first 4 chapters are completed it'll come out as a physical book as the first (of 3) volumes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have a PC drawing tablet screen (Kamvas 13) that I'm gonna set up for my 11 year old son to use. He likes drawing silly little comics occasionally, is there a particular illustration app that would be good for a kid on a drawing tablet screen? Ease of use being a lot more important than flexibility/power probably.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Tuxpaint might be worth a shot

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

What are people’s experiences with sharing their comics on social media?

I made an Instagram earlier this week for sharing snippets and posting updates on Samsara and so far it’s just been friends and family following it. How do people find ways to get their stuff shared more publicly and get the word out? I heard that the algorithm favours videos over pictures in Insta so I’ve tried animating the art with simple effects, anyone else have better experience with this stuff?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I made an Instagram earlier this week for sharing snippets and posting updates on Samsara and so far it’s just been friends and family following it. How do people find ways to get their stuff shared more publicly and get the word out? I heard that the algorithm favours videos over pictures in Insta so I’ve tried animating the art with simple effects, anyone else have better experience with this stuff?

I tried Instagram for like five minutes and stopped when I realized that I couldn't post comics outside of very specific aspect ratios. I might keep using it to direct people to new pages via links but it's basically useless.

I'm giving Tumblr and Mastadon a shot since Twitter is dying (which sucks because it was by far the best way to keep your audience updated) so I'll let you all know how those work out in comparison. I'm hearing that the ousted Twitter CEO will be creating a new social media platform to replace Twitter (lol) so hopefully that will eventually fill that void. I'm also curious about Hive but I know literally nothing about it at this point.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
all social media is complete poo poo op

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

You get viewers by Networking, finding reddits, forums, and discords where it'd be appropriate to share your stuff, and just talk about it constantly. Not just "Oh my comic is good," but your actual interactions with the work, and what parts resonate with you. My Steppe Into The Ring story took off when it started getting shared in "Empty Spaces" twitter, which I was largely unaware of, but happened to hit the right niche. It only took off there, because someone who I was talking too at random loved it and shared it. It started to hit this little community, and that gave it enough of a boost in the algorithm to have it take off in other places. Also find ways to share it that gives you analytics. The radio silence can be deafening, and feel like you're not making a difference, but I just killed off Steppe Into The Ring, and it was a huge mistake, there were dozens of letters, almost immediately today, and probably more to come, that were really sad to see it end. People weren't sayng anything, but there were people reading. Getting a way to measure eyes on the screen is important.

With social media like twitter and instagram, your stuff has to be hyper optimized for phones. Your instagram isn't, you're doing horizontal videos on a vertical format.

Here is a person I follow to give you an idea of what this content could look like.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169663923535252778
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-right-hand-of-death/list?title_no=688670

Hitting the Algorithm lottery involves consistency, and getting lucky. Basically, you're pulling a slot machine lever, and every piece of art you put in is a quarter. Except you're kind of trying to fit dimes in the slot and hoping it works. I'm like on tiktok and instagram for multiple hours a day as a big ole zoomer, so I'm hitting this with that mindset, but your videos don't look great on the app. It's gets downsized and very jaggy, and there's some serious issues with letter boxing. Here's what they look like on my phone:

You're doing videos, which are reels, which show up on their tiktok equivalent, those need to be 1080px by 1920px Portrait or else they get deprioritized by the algorithm. So make sure your videos fill out the phone screen. Also it's just music, what would be better is talking about an aspect of your story while drawing something or creating specific videos FOR your comic, especially if it's just something being drawn. It's also going to take longer then a week, definitely months, and possibly years to get seen. If you worked with other people, you need them all to follow, you need them all to re-blog, and even comment that little boost in the beginning can be the difference between two or three people seeing it, and if they share it with 100 of their people, that could be the difference between 300 and 600.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you have or are building an audience make a Discord for your work. Using @everyone is a good RSS alterative for updates and you being active prevents people assuming you quit, which sucks but is entirely understandable given the history of the medium.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
I know what the correct answer to this question is (just host it yourself you cheap lazy old fucker) but does anyone have any experience with manipulating a free WordPress site into becoming an acceptable way to host a comic? My attempt is here http://vigilsforfriends.com/ and it works for me, but it's not the proper webcomic format with the buttons you expect and so on. I assume it puts people off and that's the reason I'm not rich and famous.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It’s really obnoxious that there’s still not a great way to host a webcomic on your own. There are Wordpress plugins and templates but they’re buggy and fight you every step of the way (or look like rear end). I ultimately hosted on Tapas just so I didn’t have to deal with the bullshit which has been decent so far.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've been working on making my own website, and I think it's functional if not perfect, I can explain the code and stuff so that if you have a Wordpress site you can try the same thing.

That said, I think I want to just self host a react site, or a CMS on drupal or something like that.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Ah I miss comicpress. It had all the right options and buttons, you could give every single comic a dozen arbitrary tags. I felt productive.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Thank you for all the advice on social media everyone!

It's been a tricky venture trying to make it with a published comic, spending a lot of savings on art for a project that may not break even let alone make money but I wanted to give it the best shot it can and at the end of the day I'll be proud of the final outcome and following through on the story.

Boba Pearl posted:

You get viewers by Networking, finding reddits, forums, and discords where it'd be appropriate to share your stuff, and just talk about it constantly. Not just "Oh my comic is good," but your actual interactions with the work, and what parts resonate with you. My Steppe Into The Ring story took off when it started getting shared in "Empty Spaces" twitter, which I was largely unaware of, but happened to hit the right niche. It only took off there, because someone who I was talking too at random loved it and shared it. It started to hit this little community, and that gave it enough of a boost in the algorithm to have it take off in other places. Also find ways to share it that gives you analytics. The radio silence can be deafening, and feel like you're not making a difference, but I just killed off Steppe Into The Ring, and it was a huge mistake, there were dozens of letters, almost immediately today, and probably more to come, that were really sad to see it end. People weren't sayng anything, but there were people reading. Getting a way to measure eyes on the screen is important.

With social media like twitter and instagram, your stuff has to be hyper optimized for phones. Your instagram isn't, you're doing horizontal videos on a vertical format.

Here is a person I follow to give you an idea of what this content could look like.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169663923535252778
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-right-hand-of-death/list?title_no=688670

Hitting the Algorithm lottery involves consistency, and getting lucky. Basically, you're pulling a slot machine lever, and every piece of art you put in is a quarter. Except you're kind of trying to fit dimes in the slot and hoping it works. I'm like on tiktok and instagram for multiple hours a day as a big ole zoomer, so I'm hitting this with that mindset, but your videos don't look great on the app. It's gets downsized and very jaggy, and there's some serious issues with letter boxing. Here's what they look like on my phone:

You're doing videos, which are reels, which show up on their tiktok equivalent, those need to be 1080px by 1920px Portrait or else they get deprioritized by the algorithm. So make sure your videos fill out the phone screen. Also it's just music, what would be better is talking about an aspect of your story while drawing something or creating specific videos FOR your comic, especially if it's just something being drawn. It's also going to take longer then a week, definitely months, and possibly years to get seen. If you worked with other people, you need them all to follow, you need them all to re-blog, and even comment that little boost in the beginning can be the difference between two or three people seeing it, and if they share it with 100 of their people, that could be the difference between 300 and 600.

This is especially helpful thanks so much! I didn't know these things about the algorithms and I'll at least give it a try and see how things play out in the coming weeks to months.

If nothing else it gives me a way to engage with my readers more and I'll at least enjoy talking to people about the story and see what people liked or want to talk about.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Chapter 3 is finally here! It has a lot of my favourite art so far and some very cool demonic designs that John and Mariam knocked out of the park.

You can find it on Amazon at the moment with this link
I'm hoping it'll come out soon on DriveThruComics as well for anyone that isn't fond of Amazon/Comixology at the moment.

Here are some preview pages from the chapter:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good networks for welcomic sharing? The OP is seven years old. I don't envy the ridiculous workload that a Japanese manga author takes on when they get picked up for publication but I do appreciate how robust their system is for finding new talent. Speaking entirely ignorant here but is there anything similar to that level of online proliferation for webseries outside of Japan?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you find it let me know, the best you can do is throw a links section on your site and link to each other.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Tapas seems like the closest thing, since comics like Heartstopper have gotten print publications or more out of their popularity on that site. As far as goon comics are concerned, I'd love to see a fresh list of ongoing and completed webcomics, personally.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
At the start of 2022, in order to make myself practice, I decided to start a webcomic about a goofy goblin boy named Humphrey. I've done some little doodle comics before in the past, but this was my first attempt at sustaining a multi-page narrative in comic form. It took a whole year, but I managed to turn out a 10 page chapter.

Goblins' Cavern

I learned a lot about making comics over the course of last year. I think a few things really stuck out to me. The first thing was the realization that time and space in a comic are able to expand and compress infinitely. Each extra panel you devote to a facial expression, a gesture, or a different aspect of the scene is, in a sense, a form of time dilation. It's like how a single fight in Dragonball Z can take dozens of episodes to conclude. I really didn't intend to write a long fight scene for the first chapter, but it somehow ended up that way by accident.

The second thing is that style is really tricky to nail down as a beginner. I tried to keep some amount of internal consistency with my art style throughout the chapter, but the problem is that my art skills at the start of 2022 and at the end of 2022 were fairly different. In a way, the early pages feel clean to me because I was working within my limitations, whereas I started to try to push myself out of my comfort zone partway through. I didn't have any real design sheets or character references to work from, since the whole point of this exercise was to improve my drawing ability. I wish I had started out by taking time to solidify my decisions on character designs, if nothing else. After 10 pages, I still couldn't really tell you what Humphrey's "default" appearance is; he can't even be off-model because on-model doesn't exist. Also, color is really hard!!

The third thing is that dialogue is also really hard in comics! You have to be conscious of the physical shape of the words and where you'll place them in the panel. Trying to keep dialogue economical while still distinct is actually quite a challenge. I kept making the mistake of not factoring dialogue into my page compositions, and I think the characterization suffered because of it.

The final thing that I learned is that comics are difficult, fun, and extremely time consuming. I think I had some pages take as little as 5 hours to complete, while the longest I spent on one page was at least 12 hours. Granted, a lot of that time was spent learning the software and trying to problem-solve things like "how do I arrange these panels to accommodate these big dumb goblin ears." Also, squeezing comic-making in around my full time job, I found that my vibe and energy each day really affected the work--far more than when I sit down to work on prose writing.

All-in-all, I had a lot of fun making my first multi-page comic. :shobon: I think I'll definitely work on some executive-level decisions before moving on to chapter 2. If nothing else, I want to try switching to grayscale.

anyway sorry for the tedtalk, check out my silly little comic if you want to see some lumpy goblins fight a mean jello

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I won't let this dead gay comics thread die. What are folks working on in 2023?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
i'm back in the saddle at last. lost a few years of growth because of like, having a baby lol but i'm trying to pick up the pieces. the love and want to draw is there but the time and energy aren't always. i also just don't have the patience for some stuff anymore so what little polish i ever had is pretty much gone.

also they've discontinued the markers and the pen nibs i have been using since 2010 so that's gonna be a fun obstacle to overcome when i run out :)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I exist, and continue to create, still amaturish in quality, it's not something, but it's much

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I am continuing to plug away at BSF and based on current trends will continue to do so until I am dead.

(I really want to finish it sooner rather than later, but like, properly.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
finally got a computer that can cook up animations without cooking itself, new tablet pen on the way, just need the energy to pull the trigger

I've hosed with rinky dink two-frame gifs and the like as page images before but it's mostly been cheap layer switching tricks and other smoke & mirrors, I aspire to have some whole scenes be full-blown YouTubes and I think it's soon

I have a theory that greater spectacle and more easily shareable "bits" (animated fight scenes, etc) is gonna go a long way to finding more audience in the current climate but I gotta get there first

edit: poo poo I almost forgot I even ventured into the realm of actually a youtube last year, I made a pre-roll ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP6bQ22LW2A

not what I want when I say animation but like, that's how long I've been teaching myself video editing poo poo to work on what is basically a webcomic

even the timing in that video is kinda off because my old computer was trying to explode at the time

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 24, 2023

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
oh and I'm explicitly planning NOT to gently caress around with screen recordings and HTML5 setups in 2023

I tried some of that last year and I'm gonna save it for after I get this regular style animation poo poo handled because otherwise I am going to cook my brain like I cooked my last computer

https://i.imgur.com/2eGgHFn.mp4

so that's my plans and the opposite of my plans for 2023

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
I've got 215 strips of my comic. Apart from one big arc in the middle, I do little stories of 20 strips. I know what the next one is, which takes me to 240, and have vague ideas for the one after that. I still love making the comic and my small number of readers seem to like it a lot. I don't have huge ambitions for it though, and I don't know how much longer I'll keep it up. Maybe it'll be a more occasional thing in the future. I'd like to keep going to 500 or 1000 but I won't force myself if the ideas aren't there.

I think about when I started and was knocking out multiple strips a day, compared to now. My art has improved a lot but that means they take a lot longer to do. To keep the spontaneous energy going I try to sketch and write each strip quite quickly, then go back and make it look 'good'.

This is a great hobby to have and it's by far the most committed I've ever been to a creative project. Also I've met nice people online. Webcomics are fun.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I've been making a short film, which is taking a lot of time gestating. I have more fun doing that than comics I think, there is more room to try stuff.

Here is something I did with a pack of wild horses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVZ-GK1rMrE

Other videos are on this page, but this one captured the untapped beauty of the west the best. I want to make a real western about pain and death and grandeur and so forth but it is harder to write a script than it is to draw.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This year I've been working on a lot of things that are comic-adjacent but not really comics. I've been kinda weighed down working on a million things and a little project that was good for my mental well-being was to start working on a little sci-fi side project on Cohost, something that's simple and fun to draw that I don't have to sell or promo or advertise, it's just purely for the joy of making it, though it might pan out into being a good tabletop RPG setting if I can find time to type up a .pdf about that. I'm also still making two videogames and a very old comic, though. Covid's been a very busy era.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh and I'm explicitly planning NOT to gently caress around with screen recordings and HTML5 setups in 2023

I tried some of that last year and I'm gonna save it for after I get this regular style animation poo poo handled because otherwise I am going to cook my brain like I cooked my last computer

https://i.imgur.com/2eGgHFn.mp4

so that's my plans and the opposite of my plans for 2023

That's pretty slick, I love that chunky, slow game feel.

I'm working on a short comic in my limited time after work and family when everyone is asleep and have a couple more planned out. I'll probably dig my social media accounts out and post it more to archive than to gain traction. At this point I am just having as much fun with the craft as I can. I tried doing nothing but studying and building skill for a few years starting out but it felt like a hollow treadmill of making work and not making art. Now I want to make comics and only do that!

Here's a page:

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i realised i hate drawing humans and i will never draw a human again, now i just do abstract paintings. my next step is to fake my own death to drive up demand and then i can retire to the desert

FunkyAl posted:

Here is something I did with a pack of wild horses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVZ-GK1rMrE
:five: powerful, touching, thought-provoking