Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Guys I'm thinking of doing webcomics again, talk me out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Incidentally, I can't decide whether I like partial or full color better.

Full color looks more... full color, but the partial color has a kind of old storybook thing going on I kind of dig. It doesn't help that I'm Not Great at colors.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
So, Project Wonderful is ending, and ads will stop working in early July. That's... kind of how I do 90% of my webcomic advertising, so I'm now in a bit of a panic? Just a small one? A little baby panic?

How do other low key webcomic artists do their marketing? All the advertising services I've looked into required like... not independent regular guy money, they seemed to cater toward companies and the like. Obviously, word of mouth is ideal, but it's hard to snowball word of mouth when you're only pulling 500 -1000 visitors a day to begin with.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I'll vouch strongly for comicfury, the forums are a little ehhh sometimes but the site itself and the admin that runs it are fantastic and he's hammered out some kind of smackjeeves-to-comicfury converter

also after ending my old comic I have started a new comic

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
it's cool to have more goons on comicfury, even if it's not the most ideal circumstances

I am taken aback by how rapidly the front page filled with pokemon mystery dungeon comics

not a judgement call on the refujeeves, it just genuinely hit me out of nowhere yesterday

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I have had a facebook advertising account for less than 24 hours and the account has already been closed twice

slowly coming to terms with the fact that either I'm secretly a robot, or need to legally change my name to Suspicious Activity

I just want to plug my webcomic

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
that's rad as hell

are the formats/guidelines for printing a book on DriveThruComics about the same as printing one through DriveThruRPG? I have experience with the latter but I didn't know the former existed until like, right now, and the gears are turning but I can't find a separate publishing guidelines thing for comics

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
finally got a computer that can cook up animations without cooking itself, new tablet pen on the way, just need the energy to pull the trigger

I've hosed with rinky dink two-frame gifs and the like as page images before but it's mostly been cheap layer switching tricks and other smoke & mirrors, I aspire to have some whole scenes be full-blown YouTubes and I think it's soon

I have a theory that greater spectacle and more easily shareable "bits" (animated fight scenes, etc) is gonna go a long way to finding more audience in the current climate but I gotta get there first

edit: poo poo I almost forgot I even ventured into the realm of actually a youtube last year, I made a pre-roll ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP6bQ22LW2A

not what I want when I say animation but like, that's how long I've been teaching myself video editing poo poo to work on what is basically a webcomic

even the timing in that video is kinda off because my old computer was trying to explode at the time

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 24, 2023

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
oh and I'm explicitly planning NOT to gently caress around with screen recordings and HTML5 setups in 2023

I tried some of that last year and I'm gonna save it for after I get this regular style animation poo poo handled because otherwise I am going to cook my brain like I cooked my last computer

https://i.imgur.com/2eGgHFn.mp4

so that's my plans and the opposite of my plans for 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

cpmaoa1990 posted:

i dooon't like writing comics! they're good too! but it's sooo hard! you have to do soo much! it isn't like making videogames where people play them! I'm reading them too!

BLACKSTAR is a comic I'm working on! It's gonna be a webcomic and more! But it's sooo bad wanna not do it! Type stuff! It's sooo good but I've already seen it so writing it sucks! Get me artiiists kinda bad!

Anyone else have a project like this? It's the best! But man, it's already done for me! Why do it?

based on greater context I'm not sure this is a human, but as a robot myself my suggestion is to write CYOA style comics and then you won't know what's going to happen ahead of time (because readers are crazy and will suggest wild poo poo you hadn't thought of)