Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Abyssal Squid posted:

So I hear this is never gonna be made into a comic, but I think this belongs here anyway.

Rethy posted:

RIP Quetzal-Coital, you'll live on in a link at the top of the page.

If I'm remembered for nothing else I hope its these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

Remember that whole idea that somehow people would figure out a way to monetize internet content into a living wage?
Yeah didn't happen

Thats not totally true, but its an awful lot like any other small business or music group or art form.
Sometimes, even if you're good, its just not enough.
Have a backup plan.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

GreatJob posted:

How 2 Worldbuild:

-Use Earth map, put magic in
-Pick your favorite animal to make big for use as mounts instead of horses
-Generate MacGuffins so characters have excuse to trek all over magic!Earth

Preferably a series of MacGuffins that have an easily applied template, repeatable storyline after storyline.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Total change of subject here but you should be following Cartoon Block on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/thecartoonblock
He collects a bunch of tutorials and posts almost every day.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Feels weird to write such an ad-like post here but you asked something that I struggled a lot for a while, and I really like what I finally found.

Personally, I thought that Wordpress with Inkblot or ComicPress were a lot of work to set up, and don't seem to be maintained regularly (though i could be wrong.)
Even when I got them working sort of, they were clumsy to configure and do even basic customizations with.
ComicPress seems to have gone to ComicEasel which I had a lot of difficulty implementing. I'm still not entirely sure what the deal between ComicPress and ComicEasel are.

So I ended up using Wordpress and the Toocheke Theme and Plugin.
https://toocheke.com/

I liked that it offered a lot of features like a mature filter, Patreon integration, and Collections based on character, plotline, chapter etc, all of which was controlled through the UI instead of having to do any code tweaking.
The theme is versatile and I could easily do whatever colors I wanted, and it automatically works very well with mobile browsers as well.
Its also free, and is updated regularly along with Wordpress.

If you want comments, you'll likely need to install a separate spam filtering tool, I use "Akismet Anti-Spam" which offers a free license if you're not running ads or selling merch.

Here's a gallery of comics using Toocheke for examples:
https://theme.toocheke.com/showcase.html

I ended up buying the premium version just to support the guy, and he was super responsive to the one question I had.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I don't think its unfair or inappropriate to say that a specific person's style is what you're going for. But you have to accept that it's almost certainly not going to end up *the same* and that a particular artist may not want to do that.
As the person above me said, have you tried hiring that specific artist?