Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It was pretty obvious that he was guarding his corpse family from the moment you saw him. That and they already did the "person protecting alien family members" at least once this season already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Has Falling Skies always been filmed in 100% outrageously distracting shaky cam, because I never noticed it before, but this episode, holy poo poo. Did we really need a slow shaky pan around Pope, or a headbob as the camera follows before Tom running between cover?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pope is slowly turning into Max Payne. All we need now is some slo-mo effects of him jumping and firing two guns at people.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
If you guys want to watch a post apocalyptic Alien drama then watch Defiance. Defiance is just a beautiful little show and the character dev, continuity and plot advancement is savant.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure you're preaching to the choir homie.

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
So what happened with Cochise's father's position as space president? Someone else fill the rank? Did I miss that part while skipping thru the lame parts?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kruna posted:

So what happened with Cochise's father's position as space president? Someone else fill the rank? Did I miss that part while skipping thru the lame parts?

It's joined the realm of forgotten plot points. It has great company.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"I have to die now."

"No yay don't. "

"Ok. What is this hu mon emotion called love?"

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
"I shall speak in English since you choose their customs over ours"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kruna posted:

He was just a general I think.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kruna posted:

I thought the remaining space french were there against orders as the rest of them hosed off to fight somewhere else.

MacDougall posted:

If you guys want to watch a post apocalyptic Alien drama then watch Defiance. Defiance is just a beautiful little show and the character dev, continuity and plot advancement is savant.

You watch Falling Skies for very different reasons from why you watch Defiance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Pope is pissed that people die under Mason's command so he exiles non combat civilians dooming them to... death?

E: Oh my God this Pope storyline us just offensively bad, even for Falling Skies. Pope harasses Hal about innocent people dying under Tom's command and then 30 seconds later executes someone because they're injured?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 30, 2015

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Pope discovers the ammo the mechs use is literally just regular bullets with magic metal on the end of them, demonstrates it by using a normal gun to blast a massive hole in mech armor. A ton of it is made for the team, the result being....actually sweet gently caress all, they still fire full auto and rarely hit anything. And it's never mentioned again in season 2.

It's always been pretty obvious they don't really give a poo poo about the plot.

This. This was what turned me, finally. I wanted to love this show so hard and the, "hey wait let's beef up our ammo and maybe not die all the time" really worked for me, until they blew it in one single gunfight at the end of a season, only to for it to not exist anymore at the beginning of the next. At all. Because then they wouldn't be outclassed 100% of the time and the whole thing falls apart (worse). I didn't even know I was hatewatching it until I saw this thread but here I am slogging though Dead Rising Psycho Pope. :sigh:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Man, I really liked V."

"Me too, it was amazing. The whole Nazi-symbolism as a critique of Reaganism was amazing!"

"Are you talking about the special? I never saw that. I'm thinking about the TV show. The fast growing Starchild with magical powers and then they introduced so much. It really let your imagination run wild."

"You mean they burned through writers so it never had a coherent plot?"

"Yeah, let's recreate that experience!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This show was bad from day one, if you stuck around hoping for it to be anything but I don't know what to tell you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think most of us were hoping for a more consistent kind of terrible. None of the plotlines have been good but I was hoping they'd at least stick with any given bad plotline. I normally "listen" to TV as opposed to "watch" TV because I'm doing something else and it is background unless it grabs me. But I can normally follow what is going on from week-to-week by listening.

Not so with Falling Skies. It has achieved a wonderful sort of Nirvana where it exists only in the moment and the connection of any given moment between any other moment is non-existent. Plot threads start just to end, no conclusion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't think anyone here thinks this show isn't bad. That's kind of the point. But I'm personally watching it for closure and because there's nothing else to watch and the show is just that right kind of bad that it's somewhat entertaining.

I should probably catch up to the last ship.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Boris Galerkin posted:

I should probably catch up to the last ship.

The Last Ship actually improved this year, so yeah. This isn't exactly high praise, but it's at least a trend in a good direction, as opposed to... this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The director for last night's episode:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
So, to recap...

* Deus ex insecta
* Cochise can't use forceps.
* Flying insect swarm nest? What flying insect swarm nest?
* Find telephone == win war.
* Maggie is a chump.

And only four episodes left in the series. This is shaping up to be an incredible finale!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Maggie's story was incredibly dumb. I don't even have any words to describe how dumb she was/is. Those people and their kids were kinda dumb too, like, did they think their kids were never going to do what kids do and explore? I don't really understand what the point of any of these two stories were. They also showed the communication thing like they showed in the preview, but never actually expand on it so whelp, filler episode I guess.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I've finally find a race of Aliens dumber then the Race from Harry Turtledove's In The Balance Series, and they got their rear end kicked by a humanity at WWII levels of technology despite being capable of interstellar travel. :psyduck:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The whole series has more filler than plot. Do people making these really think people watch a story about an alien invasion for the personal drama? Or maybe their budget ran out, the last few episodes have been people being dumb, then some alien thing happens in the last few minutes.

How many episodes are left anyway?

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Ah Christ. I've been riding this poo poo train since day 1, but I finally had to fast forward through the last two terrible episodes. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact that over the last few years, my standards for what I'll watch in the summer while drunk have clearly improved. This garbage makes The Strain look like Breaking Bad in comparison.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Captain Neck Wound is clearly under alien control of some kind, and will likely die in brutal fashion next week.

Only 3 episodes left until everyone on Earth is killed due to stupidity, most likely.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In a shocking twist, it will be revealed in the last episode that the evil aliens actually killed off the human race years ago. What we've been watching are the fevered dreams of Tom Mason, the lone human survivor, as his brain is experimented on aboard an alien ship.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

In a shocking twist, it will be revealed in the last episode that the evil aliens actually killed off the human race years ago. What we've been watching are the fevered dreams of Tom Mason, the lone human survivor, as his brain is experimented on aboard an alien ship.

That would explain the "Brazil" references on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtHEgINHO0

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm watching it right now but why don't they just move the box that the walkie talkie thing is in rather than devising a system of levers and pulleys?

SimpleAnarchy
May 9, 2002

Those are some nice headphones
Can someone refresh my memory as to what happened to the other US military dudes from Charleston a few seasons ago? They had the callback this episode to the civilians of Charleston being relocated to Brazil but what happened to the soldiers who were there? Where is Dale Dye's colonel character?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is yet another example of the show dropping plot threads/characters.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
One episode down and literally no closer to getting to Washington to wrap this thing up.

Fantastic.

EDIT: Also, holy loving :lol: at just ripping out spikes with a pair of pliers. Makes the Volm Magic Fingers thing completely unnecessary.

NecroBob fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 11, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The third to last episode before the show ends forever. This is the best time to introduce new characters and new, previously unmentioned aspects of the characters pasts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NecroBob posted:

One episode down and literally no closer to getting to Washington to wrap this thing up.

Fantastic.

EDIT: Also, holy loving :lol: at just ripping out spikes with a pair of pliers. Makes the Volm Magic Fingers thing completely unnecessary.

It really really hurt!!

Also what are the odds Pope winds up saving the 2nd Mass from the 20th predictably evil military unit we've seen turn evil within 10 minutes of being introduced?

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Ha I hadn't noticed this was the last season of the series. 3 episodes to wrap up everything??? Oh my

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SimpleAnarchy posted:

Can someone refresh my memory as to what happened to the other US military dudes from Charleston a few seasons ago? They had the callback this episode to the civilians of Charleston being relocated to Brazil but what happened to the soldiers who were there? Where is Dale Dye's colonel character?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is yet another example of the show dropping plot threads/characters.

Tom became their president. They got attacked by aliens. I think they were absorbed into the main group somehow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't remember exactly, but I like to just assume the 2nd Mass (or whatever) went out on a mission, and just forgot to ever come back, and now they're off doing something else.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Charleston was either bombed or thrown into the ghettos, the show never says which. Frankly it's more hilarious that they're in awe of a working military when they met with the President's soldiers in season 3 but the whole show seems to have forgotten that season exists.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McTimmy posted:

Charleston was either bombed or thrown into the ghettos, the show never says which. Frankly it's more hilarious that they're in awe of a working military when they met with the President's soldiers in season 3 but the whole show seems to have forgotten that season exists.

Now I wonder if we will even see Pope again, which would just be hilarious if we didn't. Or he shows up Millennium Falcon style 5 minutes to the end with no mention of his blood feud with the Mason family's plot armor ever mentioned.

I put nothing past this show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

IRQ posted:

Now I wonder if we will even see Pope again, which would just be hilarious if we didn't. Or he shows up Millennium Falcon style 5 minutes to the end with no mention of his blood feud with the Mason family's plot armor ever mentioned.

I put nothing past this show.

Either of these things will be amazing. I'm actually pretty excited to see exactly how they decide to gently caress this up.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

moleman posted:

Ah Christ. I've been riding this poo poo train since day 1, but I finally had to fast forward through the last two terrible episodes. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact that over the last few years, my standards for what I'll watch in the summer while drunk have clearly improved. This garbage makes The Strain look like Breaking Bad in comparison.

This show is definitely best enjoyed while shitfaced. When you come out of your blackout the next morning, all the filler is forgotten.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The start of this episode made me think that I accidentally picked the recording of the first Charleston episode.

• Locked thread