Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Where'd you hear that mad max made 300 mil? Was that the international total? I think domestic was around $130 mil last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

On one of the HSX chat boards, Sunday morning...that didn't include Japan though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Standings heading into week 3:

Weekend Openers are:

Jurassic World $309.17 Not sure how to call this, it's opening against...nothing. Will audiences bite? Have they already seen everything else?
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl $9.62 Good ratings on RT, but depressing subject matter for a summer movie. Not sure how to call this one either!
Set Fire to the Stars $.69 Zuh?
The Wolfpack $.61 Zuh?
The Yes Men are Revolting $.50 Zuh?
Live From New York! $.35 Zuh?
Madame Bovary $.13 Zuh?

Derivatives:
Jurassic World Opening Weekend $116.53
Jurassic World $100 Call/Put $8.26/$.46

Looks like everyone things that JW is going to clean up!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not sure how much it counts when it comes to overall gross, but I think Jurassic World has the broadest domegraphic appeal of any of this summer's blockbusters, and you don't have to be a huge nerd to enjoy it. Then again, maybe teens and dweebs are all that really count at the box office.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I was just at a bar for the basketball game and there were about a dozen people in JP cosplay. Think it's going to do well!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wow JW up $10 today...70% profit on that fucker and i only bought it in May

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I was just at a bar for the basketball game and there were about a dozen people in JP cosplay. Think it's going to do well!
As people or dinosaurs?

Uh oh, looks like you're gaining on me. I better invest harder to maintain my lead.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 16, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Saw a few Nedrys. Movie was pretty okay!

EDIT: I usually sell movies after their opening weekend; it doesn't look like JW is going to move much more. That was a great stock. WTF are you buying, Gigante, that has you up 186% in the league? It's not all Classic Cash...

Is anyone else still playing?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 16, 2015

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Efexeye posted:

EDIT: I usually sell movies after their opening weekend; it doesn't look like JW is going to move much more. That was a great stock. WTF are you buying, Gigante, that has you up 186% in the league? It's not all Classic Cash...

http://i.imgur.com/YiXpISj.gifv

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I bought 100,000 shares of Boulevard yesterday at $0.50 a piece and I've already doubled my investment.

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/BLVD

I just saw it as a trending topic on facebook, this is going to be huge for a limited release.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nice job, Gigante. If this keeps up you'll win the month 1 prize :)

Wish we could get some more people playing, though! The bigger the league, the better.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

They haven't posted here lately but from the looks of it Crindy and Fisty are still playing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

7.2 million in profit on Inside Out, a movie I bought like two weeks before live release. Score!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They haven't posted here lately but from the looks of it Crindy and Fisty are still playing.

New job. Can't log in as much as during old job. Still in. Been a HSX member since 2007 so I'm not really a "update every day" guy, though maybe I should do a LITTLE more than I have been...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no worries, I just wanna make sure the thread isn't just gigante and i talking, 'cause we can do that on the HSX board :tipshat:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I just joined, and this looks like it will be my new favorite time sink.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Might as well post this while it's still relevent.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, well, Gigante absolutely murdered our first month, so congrats! Fisty and Crindy also did well, the summer box officer is crushing expectations so far (at least HSX's expectations, anyway.)

PM me your physical address, I have a literal prize for ya.

I'm going to reset the league shortly here and we'll start Season 2. If you haven't signed up yet, please do.

If you have asked me to invite you and haven't received said invite, I need to know as there may be some sort of problem. By rights I think we should have more people signed up; I know I invited at least a dozen.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Weekend Openers are:

Ted 2 $144.27 Critics hate it, but its audience won't care. My guess is this is still a little over valued, though, being rated R.
Max $30.27 The kids I took Jurassic World to squealed when they saw it but it looks a little heavy. Could bring out the American Sniper crowd over the long 4th weekend as well.
The Pardon $.23 is this opening in more than one theater?
Batkid Begins $2.24 haha no way this makes that much
Big Game $.38 I'm fairly sure this has already been out on PPV for a while? Zuh?
A Little Chaos $.17 Alan Rickman directs! 83 theaters!
Escobar: Paradise Lost $.12 Can the star power of Benicio Del Toro bring asses into seats into the 105 theaters this is playing in? Time will tell.
Into the Grizzly Maze $.05 I think this theatrical release is to justify the eventual cruise ship/airline version

Derivatives:
Max Opening Weekend: $12.77
Max $15 million Call/Put $1.27/$3.70

Ted 2 Opening Weekend: $56.80
Ted 2 $55 million Call/Put $2.85/$2.90

Someone who plays the derivatives feel free to comment on them- Ted 2 making 55 million this weekend seems like a lock but is it worth it to liquidate say, T5 to buy it?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the same thing about max and the american sniper crowd. It make not make $15mil opening weekend but I think it's undervalued overall.

As for the derivative question, it's too late to change anything now, but I wouldn't bet on Ted2. Grant it I haven't been doing this long, but I wouldn't invest heavily in a derivative unless I was really confident about it. I made a huge profit on Jurassic World's opening and a decent amount on Inside Out, and both of those seemed like sure things.

Also get it while it's hot, the Mad Max sequel is now for sale. http://www.hsx.com/security/view/MMAX5

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

drat Fisty, that was a close one.

Was that from Mad Max, something else, a combination of things?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I want Genisys to tank so badly but it's not going to

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Efexeye posted:

genisys is close to a lock to flop

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

drat Fisty, that was a close one.

Was that from Mad Max, something else, a combination of things?

That was from the Mad Max 5 IPO gaining 15% overnight plus a small Genisys bubble as everyone realized it was coming out in a few days. I have 10,000 shares so I hope it does well.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay Gigante, prize went out yesterday. Post it when you get it, maybe more people will play :)

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Efexeye posted:

I shorted 5,785 (all the loose cash I had) shares when it was at $110 or so and am making out like a bandit as it absolutely PLUMMETS (down $10/10% today alone). I only wish I had more cash when I shorted it.

Do you guys recommend long-haul plays? I have a bunch of old plays, and sometimes they really pay off (picked up Poltergeist in 2011 when it was at $15 and got a triple off it... eventually), but I'm not sure they're really all that effective. Like, Moana is going to triple my $70 investment, but it'll take two years to get there...

I think that's my biggest problem, I have half of my cash wrapped up in years-old purchases (I grabbed Black Panther in 2012 at $16, it's now at $89, but I don't want to sell cuz it'll eventually add another $50 at least to that) and am not used to short-term plays.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Most of what I have right now are long haul plays, I maxed out on Mad Max 2, for example, and I ain't selling Incredibles 2 any time soon, either. That's why I am keeping the league seasons short at a month, though, to encourage people to use at least part of their portfolios to play weekly openers.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So do the derivatives for this weekend count for Thursday through Sunday instead of Friday-Sunday like usual? I'm guessing that's the case since trading is locked. I probably wouldn't have been so confident in that put if I had known that. Either way, at this stage $40,000 isn't as big a deal as when I was starting out.

CRINDY posted:

I think that's my biggest problem, I have half of my cash wrapped up in years-old purchases (I grabbed Black Panther in 2012 at $16, it's now at $89, but I don't want to sell cuz it'll eventually add another $50 at least to that) and am not used to short-term plays.

I'd say if you need the cash, sell all but 100 or 1000 shares of your long term investment, whatever number is necessary to keep it near the top of your list, and then when you have extra cash you can buy them back at only slightly higher than what you sold them for. The only risk in this strategy is if a trailer or announcement comes out during the time between selling and re-buying the shares and there's a sudden surge of interest in the property while you're not holding much of it.

EDIT:

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 3, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a couple hundred thousand in long-term investments, but most of my money is in short-term stuff. It's just more fun and interesting when you're making big bets on blockbusters and fooling around with IPOs for a quick buck.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can I get an invite? My email is lordofbutt54 at gmail dot com

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jurassic World sequel is up for trade today. http://www.hsx.com/security/view/JURA5

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Not sure why MMAX5 tanked so hard after the IPO but it looks like its coming back. Someone stop Sebadoh!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Efexeye posted:

Not sure why MMAX5 tanked so hard after the IPO but it looks like its coming back. Someone stop Sebadoh!

My guess is a whole bunch of people were happy to make $10/share in 1 day and cashed out at that point for a quick profit. It's pretty obvious a sequel would gross more than $60M, so now it's getting bought up again by people hoping to hold it for a while. At least that's what I hope.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Okay Gigante, prize went out yesterday. Post it when you get it, maybe more people will play :)

Wow thanks! You really didn't have to do that.

Next time though, I'd recommend sending a check or money order, sending cash through the mail can be risky. I also accept paypal.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I just sent in an application for the league. Username: beanloaf. Never done anything like this before, but prepare to get wiped!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

I sent in an application too. Since this thread got me back into this, may as well play along!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I know that a lot of people have applied but aren't included yet; I'm not seeing any kind of notification emails or anything in HSX, either. I emailed 'em last week, we'll see what's up so that we can get people to join up for season 3.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats on the 12% gain Fisty. Was that from the Minions Call cashout?

As for this weeks derivatives, what are y'all betting on? I bought 20,000 of the Antman Call, since $60M seems like a pretty modest opening number for a Marvel movie.
I also bought 20,000 of the Trainwreck Put, mainly because it's an R-rated comedy and so far no R comedy has met it's opening weekend estimates this summer. (see Entourage, Spy, Dope, Ted 2, and Magic Mike XXL (an XXL payout for the PUT))

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Congrats on the 12% gain Fisty. Was that from the Minions Call cashout?
You got it! First correct bet I've made all month.

I'm all in on the Antman Call at $65m. Should be easy to beat that with no real competition opening this week, Jurassic World winding down, and Genisys still in the toilet. Then again, no one I know is going to see it, so it's not a sure thing by any means.

Trainwreck could go either way given that the reviews are pretty good for a comedy. I'm leaning towards Put, but will probably pass on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh god I went all in on The Rock and it was a bad idea :gonk: he lost me like 20k

e: also let me into the league please?

• Locked thread