Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I have sent an email invite to every single person that's given their address in this thread. I have a tech support question in with HSX but in the meantime you can try this link: http://www.hsx.com/league/join.php?id=3537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I already applied, I just need to be approved into the league.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I figured as much, yet the fact remains that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...huh. That's bizarre.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah there are probably 8 or 10 other people that have applied as well. it's making it hard to keep it interesting :argh:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Just want to say it's really loving tough getting big gains when your net worth is over $50 mil. I made more than $1m off Sisters today now that the trailer is out, and that gave me a whopping 2 percent gain.

Not complaining though! Playing with you guys brings back memories of being 16 and taking risks on movies that did not pay off at loving all (looking at you, Shoot 'Em Up and Talk To Me)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hmmm, it looks like the puts for both both pixels and paper towns have sold more than the calls. I can understand not having much faith in pixels (especially at $50) but I think paper towns is being undervalued right now. The main stock had been sitting at $40 for a while when I bought a bunch of them and it's at $70 now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, I'm sick of Gigante dominating every week so I sold 8k shares of STAR7 so I have some money to play with. I'm buying the Ant-Man call and the Trainwreck push.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Okay, I'm sick of Gigante dominating every week so I sold 8k shares of STAR7 so I have some money to play with. I'm buying the Ant-Man call and the Trainwreck push.

Keep in mind that with a cap of 20,000 anyone with a lower net worth than you (ie. me) will gain a higher percentage when the derivative cashes out (see also: Fisty gaining a higher percentage than I did from the Minions call).

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Trainwreck up 29.01% from when I invested. That's a lot, right? Glad I got 1/2 of my portfolio all up in that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Reinvited everyone again, let's see what happens *shrug*

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Oh boy, Pixels has a $0.72 call, $5.32 put, and a 14% rating on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

Weirdly, Paper Towns is at $1.35 call, $3.86 put despite it's 78% tomato rating. Does the average hsx player just have a personal vendetta against sentimental teen movies? While it's not as tangible as a sequel, I'd think being based on a John Green book would bring in a good chunk of the Fault in our Stars crowd.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Oh boy, Pixels has a $0.72 call, $5.32 put, and a 14% rating on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

Weirdly, Paper Towns is at $1.35 call, $3.86 put despite it's 78% tomato rating. Does the average hsx player just have a personal vendetta against sentimental teen movies? While it's not as tangible as a sequel, I'd think being based on a John Green book would bring in a good chunk of the Fault in our Stars crowd.

I have a feeling I'm gonna lose a lot of money on Pixels. And I could have sold my shares at a $45,000 profit a week ago...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Minions blockbuster warrant is up.

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/MNION.BW

$5 a share with a cap of 20,000 shares. A mere $100,000 will buy you one of the most reliable investments available. And remember, the less money you have the more percentage gain you'll make.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

And remember, the less money you have the more percentage gain you'll make.

:argh:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Minions BW is pure gold. Also the Pixels Put is still trading, get it before it's locked for the weekend!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah that Pixels put is too good to pass up. I totally flip flopped on that one but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to play in Peoria.

Also I'm long on The Martian and it's criminally undervalued at $141, I think. I don't know how they will make that boring slog of a textbook interesting for the screen but it's matt damon and they will promote the poo poo out of it.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The Minions blockbuster warrant is up.

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/MNION.BW

$5 a share with a cap of 20,000 shares. A mere $100,000 will buy you one of the most reliable investments available. And remember, the less money you have the more percentage gain you'll make.

Once again, I've been playing for 8 years and have a net worth of $65m. This is a very difficult game for me.

Sold on Pixels about a week ago when it was up to $125m. Was a great move. Lately I'm struggling on effective moves - shorted the Vacation remake opening weekend (5 day openings usually kill demand for the weekend) and that isn't paying off, you'd really think production starting on Resident Evil 6 would launch it higher than $14 a share, clearly John Wick 2 will make more than $20m total... this stock market is weird.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mechanical question: If a BW is trading below current box office actual and I buy it, will I get the difference between purchase price and box office when it cashes out? The reason I ask is that there are a couple big BWs (lol) that are significantly below box office right now and the free money seems too good to be true.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Also I'm long on The Martian and it's criminally undervalued at $141, I think. I don't know how they will make that boring slog of a textbook interesting for the screen but it's matt damon and they will promote the poo poo out of it.

It's got a lot going for it on paper and it will likely draw comparisons to Interstellar, Gravity, and even Cast Away. However, just because a movie checks all the right boxes doesn't automatically mean it's destined for commercial and/or critical success. If you look at Ridley Scott's recent output you'll see that the last time he directed a movie that grossed over $150 million, the twin towers were still standing.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=ridleyscott.htm
Matt Damon has some high grossing films under his belt, but $140M isn't a sure thing.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=mattdamon.htm

Don't get me wrong, I actually do hope you're right about this (I picked The Martian in the PHIZ movie league) but I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the Martian basket just yet.

Anyway, you know what I think is undervalued right now? Star Wars. Of course it's already worth a lot of money, but when you consider how Jurassic World made over half a billion in the first four weeks during the summer, imagine how much Star Wars can make in the dead of winter, ie. the James Cameron strategy, something that hasn't been tried yet with Star Wars.
Also this is one move where rich folks like you and Crindy actually have an advantage over poorer players since shares are so high already. If you already own stock in Star Wars, just buy more.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Mechanical question: If a BW is trading below current box office actual and I buy it, will I get the difference between purchase price and box office when it cashes out? The reason I ask is that there are a couple big BWs (lol) that are significantly below box office right now and the free money seems too good to be true.

Each movie has 12 weeks to meet that goal, but if after some time passes and it seems less likely to meet that goal, you can still bail before the 12 weeks are up and retain whatever profits you've made in the meantime, even if the movie doesn't ultimately earn that much. Just check boxofficemojo periodically if you're not sure. And remember,

EDIT: if I'm understanding this correctly, you'd be guaranteed to make a profit if you bought shares of the Jurassic World warrant now and waited until September when it cashes out, since it's already passed the $550M threshold but the current value of the derivative is still less than the current total gross. $(550 + 26) < $623

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/JURA4.BW

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark4.htm

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Jurassic World BW is precisely what I'm talking about, thanks for the clarification.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hey Efexeye, can you just reset the league at the first of the month instead of whatever day it was we started?

And Ibexas, are you still in this? From what I can tell you own 0 securities and any gains reported are just from interest on cash held.

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training
Applied as Labratio77! I used to do this way back, and have completely forgotten my old password, so I'm starting fresh.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Hey Efexeye, can you just reset the league at the first of the month instead of whatever day it was we started?

And Ibexas, are you still in this? From what I can tell you own 0 securities and any gains reported are just from interest on cash held.

I think what I will do is dissolve and re-form the league on the first, and try to re-invite everyone that has asked to be invited. No response from their tech support.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2015

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training

Efexeye posted:

I think what I will do is dissolve and re-form the league on the first, and try to re-invite everyone that has asked to be invited. No response from their tech support.

FXI

I signed up via Facebook, so I'm not sure if you're able to invite me via e-mail. Is there another way?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I mean I just went to the league page and it still says there are no pending members. Perhaps the Facebook logins are what it doesn't like? I've been a member long enough to have a physical password. Actually, now, when I go in and set the league to public and search for it, nothing comes up.

Also, if you send me your HSX username I can try to invite with that, instead of via email, but it's probably the same thing. I'll likely dissolve and re-form the league on the first.

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training

Efexeye posted:

I mean I just went to the league page and it still says there are no pending members. Perhaps the Facebook logins are what it doesn't like? I've been a member long enough to have a physical password. Actually, now, when I go in and set the league to public and search for it, nothing comes up.

Also, if you send me your HSX username I can try to invite with that, instead of via email, but it's probably the same thing. I'll likely dissolve and re-form the league on the first.

Cool; the username is in my post a couple of posts up. Looking forward to joining you goons! Hopefully I won't go bankrupt by buying hard into the Vacation movie while I'm waiting.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The upcoming Linklater movie is blowing up right now. http://www.hsx.com/security/view/TWITA

EDIT:

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 28, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jesus gigante i was in the middle of posting this

edit: Okay, so I will remake the league on the first and re-invite everybody here. If you already edited out your email address that means you are in the league already and I'll just reinvite; otherwise, I'll re invite all the email applicants again. Wish this would work, there is some actual interest and as Gigante can attest to, a real prize too!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tell me how crazy I am.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

That is a weird rear end stock

90+% fresh on RT but it's down 4% today? I think it's a lock to do more than 50 this weekend, Vacation looks awful

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

MI5 has been all over the place. Most estimates are saying high 30s to 40 but I really feel like anything under 45 would be unlikely. The last two (three, counting Tyrmynytyr) big tentpole action movies have underperformed to tracking expectations (Pixels 24 down from 40-50, Ant-Man 57 down from 60-65, Tyrmyyyyyy 27/42 down from 40/60), and Jurassic World's streak is about done now. Plus, like Southpaw last weekend, MI5 is adult-skewing, and there haven't been any big adult-skewing action movies in a while (Pixels, Ant-Man and Yyyyyyyyyyyy were all somewhat intended for a younger audience). I'd say mid-40s is my expectation with 50-55 not out of the picture. I don't feel strongly about it enough to bet on it either way - I rode the stock from 70 to 170 over its production and sold right before it dipped back down to 140ish - but 40ish would be a big disappointment for Paramount. Especially considering how YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The thing with action movies these days is that they're often casting as wide a net as possible for the international market. Tyrmynytyr is a perfect example as it bombed in the US but make a bunch overseas. Aging stars like Arnold and Tom Cruise are a much bigger draw in foreign markets than stateside. Ultimately it makes the domestic earning potential of these big action movies hard to gauge.

At least we got one really good international-ish action movie this summer.

Tell me how crazy I am.

What happens when a shorted derivative cashes out?

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 30, 2015

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The thing with action movies these days is that they're often casting as wide a net as possible for the international market. Tyrmynytyr is a perfect example as it bombed in the US but make a bunch overseas. Aging stars like Arnold and Tom Cruise are a much bigger draw in foreign markets than stateside. Ultimately it makes the domestic earning potential of these big action movies hard to gauge.

At least we got one really good international-ish action movie this summer.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if MI5 did $130-150m here and still ended up over $600m worldwide. Around-the-world actioners always rake it up in the international market. But tracking all summer hasn't put MI below 50m at worst (it was at 70m in June, down to 55m in July) and I really think the 40s are too low. There hasn't been a non-animated breakout film in 5 or 6 weeks, everything's been performing adequately but not raking it in, so SOMETHING'S gotta pop in the late-summer market, and this has a better chance than Fantastic 4 and U.N.C.L.E., the last two bigger releases of the season.

Also, this August looks bad, huh? I picked up Shaun the Sheep because I think it can beat $17m, but if Fantastic 4 underperforms and reviews/word of mouth shake out, I can see Straight Outta Compton being the highest-grossing film of the calendar month when all's said and done. Otherwise: UNCLE's not going to break out like WB wanted even though it looks good/great. If Underdogs and Shaun do better than $50m combined domestic I'd be shocked - it's nice that Lionsgate and Weinstein are dumping their animated foreign pickups in the same two-week span so they're guaranteed to kill each others' profits, but yeesh. Shaun looks good but very kiddie, and Underdogs doesn't even look kiddie.

American Ultra could break out, but I see breaking out for that one being $45m or so - it's Lionsgate, after all, if it's not Hunger Games or Divergent they don't know how to sell it. Agent 47 will do between $30-40 domestic in a best-case scenario. And I know nothing about two of the three movies coming out on the last week of August, an historically weak weekend, so they're DOA already.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tell me how crazy I am.

I agree; Ghost Protocol only made $30m opening weekend, and although that was in December, I don't think that will necessarily translate into more than $55m opening weekend for Rogue Nation.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What happens when a shorted derivative cashes out?

I think I get (short price) - (cashout value). So if I short an OW at $55 and it cashes out at $40, I make $15. Similarly, Calls and Puts that fail cash out at $0 so I get the short price per share. I can't actually confirm this is how it works, but I'm gaining portfolio value as the price for the shorted MISS5 OW and Call drops so it's a pretty good guess.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I agree; Ghost Protocol only made $30m opening weekend, and although that was in December, I don't think that will necessarily translate into more than $55m opening weekend for Rogue Nation.

I've seen a lot of people say this, it's not exactly true. Paramount got cold feet when Sherlock Holmes 2 was announced for the same day as MI:4 and did a platform release for Ghost Protocol, so its opening weekends can't really be used as a guideline here. MI:4 was on about 400 large-format and IMAX screens in limited release on the weekend of 12/16 and did $13m, then expanded out to wide release on the 23rd (aka Christmas), where it did the $30m (with a decent chunk of demand burned off from the limited release). It was also one of eight new releases in that time period, so that certainly affected its demand - it was up against Holmes, Tintin, Dragon Tattoo and War Horse, among others.

Of course MI:5 could do $36m this weekend and prove me wrong, but the numbers don't seem to point to less than $40m.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I dissolved the old league and made a new one; I invited everyone I could from the info in the thread and my PMs. Here's the link: http://www.hsx.com/league/view.php?id=3592

Season 3 starts today and will run through August 1.

Have fun!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like I'm going to start off the new league with a loss. M:I5 made 20m yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Uh, everything I have took a massive poo poo today except STAR7

• Locked thread