Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/SWAR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training
I applied again? Anything? Anything? Bueller?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

This was 30 seconds ago. I seriously still have no idea what the gently caress. I'm reduced to checking my yahoo email addresses' junk mail. Ew.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Is there a max number of players for the league that you forgot to set? Like 5?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nope. I changed it to public thinking maybe there was a limitation on league sizes or something but no dice

this is the entirety of the league interface besides that one screen I've shown:

EDIT: Digging through the forums reveals that this has been going on since the middle of June...keep playing and I'll let everyone know when league applications are fixed.

Sebadoh, prize for season deux is in the mail

boar guy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2015

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training
I was able to join now that it's public! Now you can all watch me struggle to make any money at this thing!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

I'm in too! Making it public seems to have done the trick.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I liquified most of my portfolio yesterday and poured it into a Fant4stic short. I'm up $1.6 million so far.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

drat Crindy, you made all that from shorting F4NT4STIC 4?

That's a huge percentage for someone with over $70,000,000. Did you buy Batman too?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Shorted Fant4stic and Fan4stic 2, bought as much Batman as I could make work, shorted Underdogs hardcore because the Weinsteins dropped its release date a week before launch, Resident Evil 6 and Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters 2 doubled in the past few days, and I picked up Nemesis after it was announced WB picked up a new script. Up another $2m today. Took a lot of work, though, and I probably shouldn't play so much at work, but it's getting results!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Oh btw this is the newly named Pixar IP http://www.hsx.com/security/view/DDLM

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 16, 2015

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Why the gently caress is Mission: Impossible 6 sinking like a stone? It's guaranteed to make $400m overseas. It's going to get made. It's going to make some drat money. And yet it's down 16 percent and I'm down $1m+ today.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

CRINDY posted:

Why the gently caress is Mission: Impossible 6 sinking like a stone? It's guaranteed to make $400m overseas. It's going to get made. It's going to make some drat money. And yet it's down 16 percent and I'm down $1m+ today.

That always happens with new IPOs. They often save the biggest for Saturdays. It goes on sale Saturday, starts going up Sunday, goes up even further Monday, then most people just cash out and the stock plummets because honestly, who wants to hold onto all those shares for 2-5 years?

I'd suggest using the 'radar' function (sells all shares except one) and waiting until it gets really low, then re-buy the shares and wait.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It gets hard when you have a lot of H$ too because you can afford to play everything at the max in a weekend and still have a lot of money left over to sink into long term plays. I mean, I'm up 4 million each on Incredibles 2 and Star Wars 7 and I don't see them going anywhere but up, so why wouldn't I hold them long? (this is an actual question because I am bad at HSX :) )

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are two reasons you would want to sell a stock you're holding:
1. You think the price will fall and not recover (This also includes overvalued stock, i.e. you think the film won't make the price at the box office before it delists.)
2. You want the cash for short-term trades that will net you a higher rate of return in the long run than just holding the stock until it delists. E.g. instead of holding a stock for three months with a estimated 30% return on investment after delist, you decide to sell it and use the cash to buy a bunch of undervalued BWs that will cash out in a month for a 100% ROI. This is especially important to consider because you can reinvest those gains into more BWs (or bonds, or arb stocks, or opening weekend derivatives) in the remaining two months that it would be tied up in stock.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Another sizzlin' hot Disney stock http://www.hsx.com/security/view/JUNGC

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yoink

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I shorted this when it was still in the green because really, who even asked for this? http://www.hsx.com/security/view/JUMNJ

edit: it's going back up again, so now I'm just riding the seesaw, making money both ways

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 24, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

What a bunch of garbage releases this week; it's like January Strikes Back

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Efexeye posted:

What a bunch of garbage releases this week; it's like January Strikes Back

There's nothing worthwhile until September 18. Maybe Sept. 11 if The Visit is any good (early buzz says Shayalaman actually pulled it off, but I'll wait for it to come out before I'm fully convinced), but Black Mass and Everest IMAX on Sept. 18 is the light in the low-key low-budget darkness right now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm going all in long on No Escape (TCOUP) just for a larf

also woo hoo fisty takes the lead from sebadoh, this weekend will probably determine who gets August's prize! SPELLBINDING STUFF

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dang Fisty how'd you pull that off?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Some TV stocks went live recently, too: http://www.hsx.com/security/feature.php?type=tvstock

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Dang Fisty how'd you pull that off?

I found some good StarBonds. Lots of cash to be made if you can figure out when they'll adjust.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

League resets Tuesday at mignight, looks like Fisty is taking August unless someone else has a late surge over the weekend.

thanks fer playin'! :tipshat:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I found some good StarBonds. Lots of cash to be made if you can figure out when they'll adjust.

I should look into that.

Efexeye posted:

League resets Tuesday at mignight, looks like Fisty is taking August unless someone else has a late surge over the weekend.

thanks fer playin'! :tipshat:

I'm not going down without a fight.

EDIT:

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was going to make this exact play :negative:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hey TF, did you buy into the We Are Your Friends put? If so then you've certainly made more than I did, proportionally. E: No wait it was the Jurassic World blockbuster warrant that cashed out today.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 1, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah that Jurassic World BW was pretty frickin' sweet :homebrew:

e: and next week is Inside Out :homebrew:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fisty please PM me your address, Sebadoh can verify that the prize is something you want.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks, PM sent.

I thought for sure you were going to catch me on the last day, Sebadoh. Can't wait to see how this thing plays out this month.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

More people makes it more fun! It's tough to contend with small profiles making big relative gains but it's more fun than logging in every 6 months to see Star Wars up $14 or whatever

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

drat, this rooster has a lot of balls http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/mexicos-un-gallo-con-muchos-huevos-surprises-with-a-top-10-u-s-bow-118734.html

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How did I not notice that double entendre before now?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I signed up today. It's overwhelming and being on the other side of the planet that gets movies really late isn't going to help. Looks fun though, looking forward to playing around with it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hey badass, I'm out of last!

Love that 5 mil and counting gain on Incredibles 2...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got my prize for last month over the weekend. Thanks again, Efexeye!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Use it wisely!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think The Martian is going to kill but that $60 put for the opening weekend looks pretty good, too. Them's blockbuster numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gains are reset, Fisty took September. Prize is in the mail!

• Locked thread