Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:siren:Happening TODAY, May 24, 2015 at 6PM Eastern!:siren:

The Lucha Libra World Cup is not just Lucha-style wrestling, it's a pretty crazy cross-promotional thing with a lot of awesome wrestlers with some different styles. It's a trios tournament (so like tag matches, but with three to a team), single-elimination. The teams are as follows, as of right now:

• Dream Team: Alberto El Patron, Rey Mysterio & Myzteziz
  • Team Mexico: El Hijo Del Fantasma, El Texano Jr. & Psycho Clown
  • Team MexLeyendas: Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr. & El Solar
  • Team “Rest of the World”: Drew Galloway, Angelico & Judas Mesias
  • Team TNA/Lucha Underground: Matt Hardy, Mr. Anderson & Johnny Mundo
  • Team ROH/Lucha Underground: Moose, ACH & Brian Cage
  • Team NOAH: Taiji Ishimori, Yoshihiro Takayama & Atsushi Kotoge
  • Team AJPW: Kenzo Suzuki, Tiger Mask III & Masamune
FAQ:

How can I watch this?

It's available on Internet Pay Per View at http://luchaworldcup.com for $19.00. You can pay with Paypal or with major credit cards although your bank may freak out and block the transaction initially with a debit card if it sees you suddenly buying poo poo in Mexico. Don't be alarmed if you get an email reciept that says $190.00 -- it's just showing the Mexico rate. Most of the usual suspects in terms of streaming sites will be showing this as well, but support good wrestling and fun cross-promotion poo poo like this and pay for it, ok?

I know maybe like two of those guys, am I going to be totally lost?

Nope! I don't think there's going to be much backstory here, if any. This is all cross-promotional, most of these guys don't regularly work together, and a lot of these guys work multiple promotions under different characters and so old feuds and whatnot wouldn't make a lot of sense anyway. It's just going to be a huge group of awesome dudes that you don't often get the chance to see if you only watch WWE.

Will there be english commentary?

Theoretically? Sites are reporting that Lucha Underground's commentary team of Matt Striker and Vampiro will be doing english commentary for this, but I'm not 100% sure how multiple language tracks are going to work in the context of a streaming iPPV. It doesn't really matter that much since like I said above this isn't really "story" driven, but Striker and Vampiro have grown into a decent, quirky little team over the last year and I do hope we get to hear them.

Is this streaming provider going to be poo poo?

Probably not. This is the same one that did Rey de Reyes and it was pretty smooth -- although granted that was postponed like twice due to weather and licensing gently caress-ups, so it may not have been such a heavy server burden by the time it came around.

Do I know any of these guys under a different name?

Alberto El Patron = Alberto Del Rio (WWE)
Myzteziz = Místico (CMLL), Sin Cara (WWE - the original one)
El Hijo Del Fantasma = King Cuerno (Lucha Underground)
Psycho Clown = that thing that is under your bed in that dream you keep having where you wake up screaming yet fully erect
Drew Galloway = Drew McIntyre (WWE)
Judas Mesias = Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground), Ricky Banderas (WWC)
Mr. Anderson = Ken Kennedy (WWE)
Johnny Mundo = Johnny Nitro/John Morrison (WWE)
Tiger Mask III = Koji Kanemoto

Wait what the gently caress that guy didn't even tag out but people are just jumping in the ring and :psyduck:

Assuming this operates under lucha rules, if the legal man goes to the floor, a teammate can come into the ring as the new legal man without a tag. Also, referees tend to be a little less focused on silly things like "rules" and whatnot. Let's hope there's none of that rudo ref bullshit today, I don't think there should be considering it's not just AAA.

This should really be a fun show, catch it if you can and hopefully this doesn't end up a stickied post with no responses like all the Impact ones.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also apparently Jeff Jarrett will be there "scouting talent" for GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING and you may expect a hilarious intrusion by him on commentary at some point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm gonna watch this I think

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They should just bill the teams by country instead of promotion really and then the american ones would make more sense but ok

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i was gonna catch a restream but if the restream is english commentary i guess ill have to buy it

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
"oh-ho-ho my god, what the gently caress dude"

I bought it but I keep getting weird poo poo on the "preshow" on the official stream, so I might have to go to an illegal one anyways if those don't get fixed by the actual broadcast start

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just turned on the stream and I'm pretty sure I'm listening to Vampiro curse up a storm without realizing he's on the air already while they are doing sound checks.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just turned on the stream and I'm pretty sure I'm listening to Vampiro curse up a storm without realizing he's on the air already while they are doing sound checks.

yeah tbh i'm already getting my money's worth

also I haven't had the stream reset for five minutes now so here's hopin'

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stream looks nice and is smooth. I don't hear vampiro though who knows which language i got

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no video on my end. weird

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got a receipt in spanish and it says I paid $190 so i briefly was like wtf but then the paypal receipt came through for $19.00 so

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

epitasis posted:

They should just bill the teams by country instead of promotion really and then the american ones would make more sense but ok

Yeah, I think they really want to push the "look, it's not just all AAA guys, this is cross-promotional" aspect of it but if they do more of these it makes more sense

epitasis posted:

stream looks nice and is smooth. I don't hear vampiro though who knows which language i got

it's quiet now but it was clearly him a few minutes ago, he did the "this is CRAZY" he always does on LU in between saying something about "some motherfucker"

coconono posted:

no video on my end. weird

try clicking on the HD/SD settings up at the top or something, took me a couple refreshes to get in but it's been smooth since then. Some sort of ad roll running now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
video's smooth but no audio, and also these goddamn website frames are blocking off a tiny part of the bottom of the screen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lmao I had vampiro in english for half a second and now spanish. did they sort out how to separate the streams??????

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

epitasis posted:

lmao I had vampiro in english for half a second and now spanish. did they sort out how to separate the streams??????

they appear to be having some audio confusion, now we got nothing but faint crowd noise, can't even hear the ring announcer

picture quality is good though

OH THERE WE GO ahaha

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah the sound's hosed to hell but honestly just hearing it occasionally explode into Vamp being enthusiastic and surly is p. good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the ring and the apron and the barriers all having that same sponsor(?) in red actually looks mad classy.

but yeah I think they've got the two commentary teams on the same feed lol

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
oh god they're just all yelling at once

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
NOW I HAVE ALL OF THE AUDIO

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why can't anyone figure out how to make a functional iPPV?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I keep thinking they got the sound figured out and lolnope

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I wouldn't mind hearing the spanish commentary and just having Vampiro there to translate the promos and intros, really

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
fantasma jr. is like a microcosm of all of my favorite parts of Lucha Libre: one skilled motherfucker, rocking his dad's mask to honor his family, and that mask is an unlicensed knockoff gimmick

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
ahaha THANKS STRIKER

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
vampiro plz explain this video

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
if they're going to do the Mexican National Anthem we got like 10 minutes for them to sort the sound issues out at least

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I really don't see how they intend to fix the audio issues lmao like the only difference on the site for the stream was your payment option????? like I'm pretty sure there's just the one stream

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

epitasis posted:

I really don't see how they intend to fix the audio issues lmao like the only difference on the site for the stream was your payment option????? like I'm pretty sure there's just the one stream

I think it's supposed to be different if you selected the english or spanish language bubbles up at the top

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok yeah I turned off my left channel and I think I just get english now. although this Japanese package seems to have no audio at all

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fixed!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
yeah, I think they just fixed it on all channels, just in time

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Dream Team is winning the whole thing.

Let's go Team ROH though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kinda cheesy but it actually is cool to see promotions working together and Striker doing stuff like plugging chikara on commentary

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

epitasis posted:

kinda cheesy but it actually is cool to see promotions working together and Striker doing stuff like plugging chikara on commentary

Yeah, I was just thinking seeing Rey and Ishimori in the ring at the same time is mentally jarring, in a good way

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

crowd is live for the dream team

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I actually can't believe I'm seeing this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

noah is gonna win

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LvK posted:

I actually can't believe I'm seeing this

I think it's going to get even weirder when I see something like Matt Hardy and loving Dr. Wagner Jr

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think it's going to get even weirder when I see something like Matt Hardy and loving Dr. Wagner Jr

pre-emptive aneurysm.... now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
No surprise there, I think anyone who faces the Dream Team until at least the finals is hosed

• Locked thread