Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know, it's really cool that this LP has started - I just finished reading a book about the alteration of the definition of 'White' to encompass non-Anglo-Saxons, and have just started a book on the history of Asian populations within the U.S.A., so it'll be interesting to see this game again with that info directly to hand.

Edit: Good choice of music for the lecture corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

...that means their sect seems to have split off from a catholic group...

Uh... I'm not sure what Catholic churches are like in America, but this looks nothing - NOTHING like any Catholic church I know of, it looks a hell of a lot more like either a Protestant sect, or in my mind more like some form of Mormonism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just reading up a bit about American history makes the up-coming raffle scene all the more abhorrent, especailly considering how Jefferson is diefied in this place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kangra posted:

The game tells you from the start where the lighthouse is:

...I wonder why they stop in Amarillo...

Surely it was because every night they were hugging their pillow?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's interesting the part in the history corner re. Minstrel shows, because of two things. In the USA, these shows died out in the early 20th century, to be sure. In the UK, however, these shows continued for much longer - it's not really something which is talked about, but one of the biggest TV programmes, which ran from 1958-78 was the Black and White Minstrel show.

Heck, blackface has been seen on-screen on British TV after that, Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster (though you could argue and rightfully so that the show was making fun of the landed aristocracy as opposed to black people), Papa Lazarou in the League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse (though again, he's not meant to be funny, just flat-out terrifying, and not because he's 'black', but rather because he is a black face version of IT) and even one of my favourite comedy shows has a truly indefensible skit with blackface (The Day Today). Want to guess the year in which the last advertised Black and White minstrel show - as in, advertised 'Mammy down in Alabammy' - was shown in the UK? 2005.

As to The Jazz Singer, it is an interesting film to consider that by the way the character puts himself in blackface he also makes himself white; that is, the character of the film is a Jewish actor who attains respectability and acceptance of his peers and the love of a gentile women by the minstrel show essentially 'reinforcing' his whiteness. It has been used as a cultural landmark to show when normally non-white people who were seen as better than blacks, Mexicans, etc. etc. But worse than Anglo-Saxons, e.g. Irish, Italians, Slavs, Jews, etc. were adopted as being 'white'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Btw, another piece of Klan history - the burning cross was also taken from a Scottish highlander practice of old-time summoning signal - y'saw a burning cross on the heath, the chief wanted all clansmen to come organsie immediately; now was the time for all good men to come to the aide of the party, as it were.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Please note that in South Carolina, at this very moment, all other flags at the state capital EXCEPT the confederate flag have been lowered.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Uh... aren't all crooks bent?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

There are those coloured & Irish signs, but the people complain about Asians. Were Asians treated like Blacks in the days of segregation?

Were the Chinese ever treated as bad as Blacks? No; but that's not to say they were treated with anything like respect; they were routinely hounded, harried and killed, subjected to all kind of racial injustices, both petty and large. There was a law that limited the number of Chinese to America, the Chinese exclusion act, please note; NOT immigrants. It was challenged in 1898 by one Wong Kim Ark, an American-born Chinese man who travelled back to China, but was refused entry to the U.S. under said law. He did appeal, and (thankfully) this appeal was supported by referring to the 14th Amendment.

One thing I have to admit I find unusual that isn't noted in this game; especially since they have noted bias against Black people, the Irish and the Orientals - they haven't mentioned prejudice against the Italians (very odd, especially considering the anti-anarchist propaganda in this place), the Slavs or the Jewish peoples. Which is odd, since they were all subjected to horrendous bigotry and violence too. Hell, in the last example a Black man was allowed to testify in a Southern court against a Jewish man accused of rape just after the reconstruction. Shame I can't recall the court details/names, though.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

Well maybe not so much "just like one of my Japanese animes" as much as an old Disney animated movie. She looks like a Disney princess perpetually on the verge of breaking into song.

And she looks so... very very weird becasue of that. She's really uncanny valley, esp. in comparison to everyone else in this game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah; another ethnic group overlooked as one who was repeatedly subjected to staggering bigotry, etc. at that time of the day; (and still is, wha with Trump's candidacy), the Mexicans. Which is odd, becasue in that Duke poster, one of the stereotypes is a sombrero-wearing Mexican, but it is not mentioned anywhere else in the game; not that I can recall.

It's also kinda odd that no-one is really noting that Booker is carrying, in his hands, a weapon. I mean, I know that guns are represetned in this game as being a thing promoted in the populace of Columbia, but it is jarring when no-one else has one at the Soldier's Field.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 13, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why on earth were was Lizzie's response to the melee attack in quotation marks?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Actually, here's a query about old-Native American drinking habits. I know that in Europe alcohol was used to sterilize water, while typically in Asia they used tea; I know in the South Americas Yerba Mate was drunk (though I don't know how old that practice is, or if it was done with boiled water). How did Native Americans sterilize their water? Did they need to?

Also, I remember hearing that pre-contact Native America didn't have earthworms present, which potentially reduced crop yield as well. But then again, they did come up with corn which is proabably the most advanced form of human directed evolution that has EVER been achieved with any organsim.

Edit: I suppose the thing which, y'know, really adds insult to the whole injury of the genocides against the Native peopels? The way that they have been fetishised so as to make people feel 'unique' or 'noteworthy' - the most blatant example that springs to mind is John Rambo. As if saying that the inherent qualities that they were unfairly tarred with so as to make them seem unhuman are now being re-adopted for the opposite reason.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 27, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why oh why did this game subtitle the subtitles in the viewers?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I would volunteer invisibility over flight any day for the reasons listed already - you could change the world for a better place much more than you could do with flight.

Free-form choice? Telepathy, no question.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah. Here is where this game starts getting not good; from what I recall, anyway.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

But didn't she already manage it the first time we saw her? She opened a tear to 1970s alternative Paris before that fire engine nearly ran her down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And now we get to the dumb part of the game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember thinking the exact same things you were talking about during the Fink gauntlet.

It just... makes no narrative sense.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, you'd be better off pointing out the fact that it was less the established labour unions who occupied power and then became corrupt in Russia, more the Bolshies who essentailly hijacked people legitimate grievances and from that dominated the revolution.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think you might also find a lot of people who would declare the American revolution a good revolution.

Even though there are also many, many, many people with legitimate greviances against it who were NOT the original rulers of the colonies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Probably not many black people though!

Proabably shouldn't have put the next part of my post in spoilers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Y'know, when you skyline strike people from a high distance, it's almost comical how long they just put their arm up and scream. Couldn't they - y'know... dodge out of the way?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah Elizabeth. Be upset about only those two people in the gunsmith's shop. No matter about, oh gosh, the other hundred or so people you've seen having had their loving heads blown off already.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy. This is definitely where the game jumps into the loving 'dumb-as-gently caress' deep-end.

Edit - yes, Booker, obviously your deal with Daisy still holds, even though you know that there was another Booker in this universe in the first place, who was working with her!

drat!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 5, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Well, yes.. Elizabeth collapsed the universes. This daisy woudl theoretically remember just the same as this booker remembers being dead.

But even if that deal was recollected by her, Booker in this universe worked with her and the Vox to over-throw the city. They have the guns to do it, because they are doing it right now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What happens if you don't fire on the Vox at the start? I take it they still attack you regardless?

Edit: I know death of the author is usually seen as the best way to interpret media... but did Levine honestly think people would have ANY sympathy to the population of Columbia?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 12, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

vancho1 posted:

So let's take Officer Hendrich as an example. We can probably say that our officer's sex was female, given that the accounts are of a woman's body. Now, as Hendrich dressed in uniform and appeared masculine, we could say that their sex category is male - that is, that people assumed that Hendrich was born phenotypically male. Now, as for gender, it's hard to say - we don't know whether Hendrich regarded his/her self as a man or as a woman, and we perhaps can never know. However, Hendrich clearly took the man's role in social situations, and thus we can say that he was enacting male gender.

...So, am I correct in thinking that 'sex category' is determined by what society generally interprets a person, while 'gender' is what a person interprets of themselves, while 'sex' is the biological, e.g. physical analysis of their sex organs + secondary physical sexual characteristics, definition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

See also the line about glasses. The Khmer Rouge did that because it was seen as being Westernized.

Edit: Oh yeah, is it my imagination, or is the enemy chatter in this game much worse - as in hard to make out what's being said - compared to other Bioshock games?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread