Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
PLEASE NOTE: This is a continuation of an LP that was abandoned back in 2011. I didn't bother redoing the first couple of episodes, and the plan in the new videos is to never bring it up, so I'm posting them in here as well. I just wanted a to give a fair warning to those coming in without knowing that so that they don't think I'm youtube dumping five episodes at once.

=======================

It's amazing how some games can even be made. Ghostbusters: The Video Game started production in 2006. Not only did it have a three-year dev cycle, but it also went through at least two developer changes. Usually this, on top of being a game based on a movie franchise, spells disaster for a game, but this one is actually pretty drat good. The gameplay is solid, the graphics are actually pretty good for the time, and the story was written by Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd. On top of that, the actors who played the roles of the Ghostbusters (and others) come back to voice their characters. All in all, pretty good game for a very good franchise!

This is a pretty good game, but not all Ghostbusters game have been. On top of showing off the differences between the PS3/ Xbox 360/ PC versions of the game, I'll also be streaming the older games every so often. Some are pretty good, some are... well... let's just say I'll be shamelessly abusing save states during those streams.

:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:SPOILER LEVEL: ORANGE:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:
Spoiler discussion for the next upcoming level or two is fine in spoiler tags, but please don't go much further than that.

Episode 1: Mr. Creosote ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 2: Maximum Snark ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 3: Ghoshhtbushhtershh Canon ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 4: Prehistoric Bitch ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 5: Level 6 Psycokenetic Geeblehopper ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 6: Snotgun ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 7: Museum of Supernatural History ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 8: Mr. Rogers ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 9: Arachnophobia ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 10: House Flipping ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 11: Donuts ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 12: How to Train Your Intern ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy
Episode 13: The End ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Bonus 1: Firehouse Fun 1 ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 2: Firehouse Fun 2 ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 3: Firehouse Fun 3 ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 4: Firehouse Fun 4 ... Youtube ... Polsy

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Glad to see you're coming back to this one.

Is discussion of the cartoons alright? I know those have a looser connection to the original movies than this game does, some of the in-universe rules are different between the cartoons and the movies for example, but it might an interesting topic for discussion.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I remember this. Its good for this to be back.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Cool, Ghostbusters! I loved this game when I played it way back when, but I seem to have forgotten most of it.

Looking forward to seeing what I've forgotten.

Also, those are some nice sirens you have there.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh hey, this game. I used to get accidentally cc'd emails about it because I apparently had a similar email to one of the producers, whom I share a name.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I recognize where Geeblehopper comes from! I loved that episode.

I'm new to your thread; liked this video, will go back and watch the earlier episodes later.

Regarding whether the ghostbusters are actually friends - certainly Venkman and Spengler know each other very well. In the first film, there are many non-verbal interactions between them indicating they are on the same page (for example, their first bust and figuring out on the fly how much to charge the Sedgewick hotel). Given how annoying and hard to work with they all are, the fact that Spengler, Stanz, and Venkman continue to work together suggests they have to be friends to a degree.

Winston and Ray definitely get along.

We'll see later what Winston's view of Venkman is, however.

There's an achievement for a more thorough investigation around the children's reading room (if you hadn't already gotten it). The children whisper things as you move around, and there are hand-prints and scribbles all over when wearing the ecto-visor. I came away with the strong feeling that the Collector collected all of them, too. A sad and creepy room.

DocGator
May 6, 2007

About 10 years ago I worked on a tv show pilot that William Atherton (dickless in the film) had a small role in, turns out he's kind of the same rear end in a top hat he played in the movie.

Anyway, glad that this is back. I remember playing a little bit of this at a buddies house when it first came out. That fact that Rick Moranis' character isn't in it is kind of a bummer though.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DocGator posted:

William Atherton (dickless in the film)

For years I thought that was Kenneth Branagh

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Is discussion of the cartoons alright? I know those have a looser connection to the original movies than this game does, some of the in-universe rules are different between the cartoons and the movies for example, but it might an interesting topic for discussion.

Oh most definitely! All Ghostbusters related media is fine to discuss in here, including that really weird early 2000's cartoon with the guy in the wheelchair.

DocGator posted:

That fact that Rick Moranis' character isn't in it is kind of a bummer though.

He retired from acting after his wife died to help take care of his kids. While I'm sad he's not back, I kinda appreciate he stuck to his guns.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Ghostbusters is my all-time favorite franchise, and when this game was announced and they showed a little bit of footage, I nearly wept.

The game mechanics, especially early on when you only have the basic proton pack, is spot on and makes you really feel like you're a ghostbuster.

Imagine my surprise though when I picked up the PC version on release-day and they had stripped out multiplayer. God that always pissed me off.

Anyways, going to watch this with extreme gusto. I normally don't care for VLPs, but it's really the only way you can do this game justice.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Heir03 posted:

Ghostbusters is my all-time favorite franchise, and when this game was announced and they showed a little bit of footage, I nearly wept.

The game mechanics, especially early on when you only have the basic proton pack, is spot on and makes you really feel like you're a ghostbuster.

Imagine my surprise though when I picked up the PC version on release-day and they had stripped out multiplayer. God that always pissed me off.

Anyways, going to watch this with extreme gusto. I normally don't care for VLPs, but it's really the only way you can do this game justice.

Btw, the comics that came out not long ago are pretty good too,.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Apparently, the classification system used in the movies was expanded upon in a Ghostbusters Role-Playing Game series made by West End Games that consisted of two games[/b]: Ghostbusters A Frightfully Cheerful Role-Playing Game released in 1986 and Ghostbusters International released in 1989. There are seven classes in the game:
  • Class I - These are undeveloped forms, insubstantial and difficult to see. Interaction with their environment is limited and enigmatic (i.e., spectral lights, voices and sounds, ectoplasmic vapors, etc.). Simple application of a proton pack beam is normally effective.
  • Class II - Manifestations focused in this time and space, Class II ghosts and up can physically manipulate things in this world. These forms are vague, inconsistent, or incomplete (i.e., floating sheets, ghostly hands, animated lips, etc.). Although a proton pack beam is normally effective, some Class II ghosts have the capacity to return attacks.
  • Class III - Anonymous Hauntings. Distinct human form and personality is evident, but former identity (I.E., as a living being.) is not established. If established, ghost is reassigned as Class IV. Often difficult to deal with, Class III ghosts generally possess sophisticated means of defense.
  • Class IV - Identity is established. They have a distinct human form and personality with known identity, such as General Custer or Cleopatra. Economic disposal methods include research into the background of said entity, as well as possible communication with it.
  • Class V - These are Ectoplasmic manifestations of definite but non-human form. Speculation includes the theory that Class V's are formed from emotionally-charged events or as side effects from ritual summoning (Slimer was a by-product of the rituals that a cult held in the Sedgewick Hotel's basement.). These typically require extensive proton pack implementation to eradicate.
  • Class VI - Ghosts from lower life forms. A giant penguin was once seen attacking a mugger in Central Park. Later it was discovered that the penguin was a ghost. Unique solutions are often required to handle these entities, including research into habitats, allergies, natural enemies, etc.
  • Class VII - Metaspectres. Obsessively malevolent, exceptionally powerful, and exhibiting control over subordinate forms, such entities are potentially very dangerous. These are often identified by primitive cultures as "Demons". Entitles which fit this classification include Gozer and Zuul. Neutralizing them is usually a problematical undertaking at best. Most standard procedures are futile. The most realistic plan is to take measures to prevent these things from entering the sphere of influence in the first place.
The system also makes note of recurring terminology for supernatural description:
  • Ghosts: Spirits or souls of the deceased.
  • Corporeal: Tangible manifestations.
  • Deity: Supreme Beings.
  • Unstable: A physical manifestation who forms itself with paranormally compromised items.
  • Environmental: Ectoplasm, its Sub-Classes, and effects of.
  • Vathek: Spectral forms who enter the realm of the living through the act of writing.
  • Legends: Entities popularized by mythologizes, folklore, and legends.
And identification:
  • Anchored: Indicates that a ghost is tied to a particular location.
  • Animating or Animator: An entity capable of animating an object whether by telekinesis or by inhabiting them.
  • Caustic: Corrosive, burning, or just plain dangerous.
  • Composite: A collection of things.
  • Corporeal: Tangible or having a physical body.
  • Ethereal: Disembodied or intangible.
  • Floater: An entity capable of limited flight.
  • Focused: The ghost is tied to the specific locale in which it first appeared and cannot stray from it.
  • Free Floating: A ghost that moves about at will, with no regard to buildings, people, or time and space, as we know it. Sometimes just called "free".
  • Free-Roaming: An entity that roams freely and is not bound to any location.
  • Free-Roaming Vapor: A wispy entity that simply roams around freely.
  • FRVP: A free-repeating vaporous phantasm. Sometimes a grotesquely altered human form.
  • Full Torso or Full-Torsoed: Some ghosts have full torsos, some have arms and legs, and some have no head and the like. Full torso apparitions are relatively rare - many hauntings are indistinct below the chest. It is an entity with no lower body.
  • Inhabiting: A creature that occupies and binds to an inanimate object, like a possessor, but one that acts out of pure instinct rather than higher reasoning.
  • Kinetic: Of or relating to movement.
  • Paranormal: Beyond normal; Strange, unnatural, or unknown.
  • Plane or Planar: Realm or dimension, or of a realm or dimension.
  • Possessor: A ghost capable of possessing objects or people.
  • Reactive: Responsive.
  • Remnant: A spirit that remains in this world as a result of being unable to completely cross over, as opposed to those that choose to return to the mortal plane.
  • Repeating or Repeater: May refer to a self-regenerating P.K.E. force (Common with ritually-summoned spooks) or to a spook with obsessive repetitious behavior patterns (i.e., Always manifesting at a certain place and time). Even when the ghost can be captured or eliminated, some agency continues to produce successive hauntings. Such ghosts reappear periodically until the source can be disabled.
  • Secretion: Something sticky and oozy, mucus or slime.
  • Seep: Short for seepage; see Secretion
  • Swarmer: An entity that travels in packs and swarms around its prey.
  • Telekinetic: Having the ability to move things without physical or ectoplasmic contact; having the ability to move things from a distance.
  • Transdimensional: Outside of this dimension.
  • Ultradimensional: Across of this dimension.
  • Vapor, Vaporous, or Mist: A common but imprecise term, it may refer to a Class I or II entity, or any insubstantial haunting.
  • Wandering Possessor: A wandering entity that can possess objects or people.
The PS3/360 version of the game is relatively faithful to this system, barring a few odd classifications which are believed to be mistakes, while the PS2/Wii version wasn't. The Animated series had its own classification system that differs from this one is in several ways, most notably that the highest level of power is Class 13 rather than Class 7.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 27, 2015

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Loving the videos...but man you guys need to learn to dodge. You know you can do that right? :)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Heir03 posted:

Loving the videos...but man you guys need to learn to dodge. You know you can do that right? :)

I constantly forget that it's A Thing because it's not very useful most of the time.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

kalonZombie posted:

I constantly forget that it's A Thing because it's not very useful most of the time.

Works well against the golems. That's about the only time I ever used it admittedly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This is a fantastic game, and I'm glad you came back to it. Were you planning on doing any multiplayer?

kalonZombie posted:

He retired from acting after his wife died to help take care of his kids. While I'm sad he's not back, I kinda appreciate he stuck to his guns.

Now that his kids are well out of college there's some rumors that Moranis might come back for GB3. It basically depends on how hard Akroyd pushes and if he likes the script.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kurieg posted:

This is a fantastic game, and I'm glad you came back to it. Were you planning on doing any multiplayer?

FUN FACT like a year and a half ago I was planning to come back to this game so I gathered some buds and we tried to do it and long story short I took so long to get back to this that the company that made this game went out of business and the servers had died.

It was in the original plans to do so but now it's pretty much impossible.

Kurieg posted:

Now that his kids are well out of college there's some rumors that Moranis might come back for GB3. It basically depends on how hard Akroyd pushes and if he likes the script.

I doubt it. He's stated at least once that he doesn't miss acting. Besides, Ghostbusters 3 will never be made.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Okay, caught up in the LP. I wanted to throw out that I saw Ghostbusters 2 before 1, and never read Treasure Island or any of the shitload of movie adaptations.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, are you guys planning to show off descriptions of things and such at some point? From what I've gathered when they flashed by in the menu they seemed quite interesting...

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Just worth noting, but Ecto Cooler did stick around for a while under the name "Shouting Orange Tangerine" it would literally ring at the register as Hi-C Ecto Cooler. X-E had quite a few Ecto Cooler articles http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0822/ . Ecto Cooler was the best Hi C flavor.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Thesaya posted:

So, are you guys planning to show off descriptions of things and such at some point? From what I've gathered when they flashed by in the menu they seemed quite interesting...

Yeah I'll be sure to grab a screencap of all the cursed artifacts before the end of the LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

They're just pretty much throwing new weapons at us now.

Episode 6: Snotgun ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Awesome as always. This thread made me go back and play through the game again. Still a great, if not somewhat short game. I love all the "lore" that's tied into most of the artifacts. It's a nice touch.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Also, there's a way easier method for destroying those books protecting the librarian. Just boson dart them. One boson takes it out.

Finally RE: Slime Tethers: You can freeze some ghosts, throw a trap under them, and then use a tether to pull them immediately into the trap.

The mirror ghost shows up a lot at the end at the graveyard in Central Park.

I'll stop now... :D

Heir03 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 2, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Heir03 posted:

Finally RE: Slime Tethers: You can freeze some ghosts, throw a trap under them, and then use a tether to pull them immediately into the trap.

The point reward you get for that is called a Slime Dunk.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact about Azetlor, the humanoid form from the PS3 & 360 version and the giant bookworm form from the PS2 & Wii version weren't the only versions of him. There was an unused form that was essentially a giant book golem with a doorway for a face.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
So many people got confused by the line "Soak'n soak'n"
Slime is not the right weapon for destroying the protection books.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

grandalt posted:

So many people got confused by the line "Soak'n soak'n"
Slime is not the right weapon for destroying the protection books.

Yep, just use the boson darts. One shot's them.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
If this is the update that the game unofficially becomes Ghostbusters 3, just how far into it are we? I'm gonna guess 1/3rd. Also isn't a Ghostbusters remake/reboot/whateverthefuck being made?

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

One thing that you can barely see as Kalon's playing is that the various upgrades for the Proton pack and its alternate firing modes tend to have some interesting comments about them, including health side effects. (eg. stripping some metal from the proton wand to reduce recoil causes numbness in the hands, IIRC).

Would it be possible for you to go through the upgrades once they're unlocked and post screenshots of them?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sel Nar posted:

One thing that you can barely see as Kalon's playing is that the various upgrades for the Proton pack and its alternate firing modes tend to have some interesting comments about them, including health side effects. (eg. stripping some metal from the proton wand to reduce recoil causes numbness in the hands, IIRC).

Would it be possible for you to go through the upgrades once they're unlocked and post screenshots of them?

Sure! I've never paid that much attention to them so I never noticed. I'll probably go through and get screencaps of the ghost info as well, there's probably some good stuff in there too.

Fabulousvillain posted:

If this is the update that the game unofficially becomes Ghostbusters 3, just how far into it are we? I'm gonna guess 1/3rd. Also isn't a Ghostbusters remake/reboot/whateverthefuck being made?

Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2, yeah. And yes, there's a reimagining coming out with all lady Ghostbusters and I'm pumped for it.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Currently catching up on the videos!

When I first started playing the game I was a bit disappointed that Winston wasn't there at the start, and then didn't do much in the first couple of chapters. "Aw, they've shafted Ernie Hudson again!"

But then in the second half of the game there is less of Bill Murray, and instead Winston pretty much takes Peter's place. And he's great!

(I guess Bill Murray agreed to record less lines than the others, so they decided to front-load most of the Bill Murray lines for the early parts of the game.)

I especially love the sections that are both Dan Akroyd and Ernie Hudson, as they are both clearly 100% enthusiastic.

Amusingly enough, Ernie Hudson aged so well that for his character model they simply 3D-scanned his actual face. (While for the other actors they referred to old photos from the 90s.)

kalonZombie posted:

And yes, there's a reimagining coming out with all lady Ghostbusters and I'm pumped for it.

There's been a lot spoken on the internet about dudes objecting to the new film having an all-female team. I think that the reason many have been skeptical about it is that it's a remake of the original film, AND it's an all-female team. It sounds like a gimmick, "we're remaking the same film, but with women".

I think it would have gone down rather better if it was a loosely connected sequel instead, where a new young team has taken over the business. That new team could have been all-women, no problem! When you've got a brand new plot (instead of remaking the original), the female team doesn't sound like a gimmick.

In fact, apparently that's pretty much the concept Dan Akroyd himself had been trying to get done as GB3 - the old guys passing the torch to a new team. But that went out the window because Sony wanted Paul Feig to direct, and Paul Feig's condition was that he wanted it to be a total reboot where the original movies had never happened and people didn't believe in ghosts. So they threw out Dan Akroyd's script for the sake of getting a particular choice of director.

The Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon series in the 90s demonstrated perfectly that the "passing the torch" idea could work. It starred a new team with unique personalities and great chemistry... and great humour, demonstrating that you didn't need the magic of the original team for it to work. It had all the hallmarks of a modern reboot: new-looking proton packs and traps, the car was changed a little, and the threats were "darker and edgier"; they had an episode based on Hellraiser! But it also had lots of nods to the original: they still had Egon as their mentor/trainer back at HQ, Janine came back as their receptionist and there were episodes where someone ended up using one of the original 80s cartoon packs or PKE meters.

Of course Harold Ramis is dead, but for the new movie they could easily have used the same formula and instead had Ray and Winston as being the mentor/trainer characters. Ernie Hudson's could have been the instructor type character teaching the new team how to use the equipment, while Ray could have been the expert on the paranormal who figures out what the big supernatural threat is.

Instead... we're going to get a remake of the first film, so once again we'll see them looking for a place of business and a car, and busting Slimer, and something giant walking through the streets like Stay Puft in GB1 or the Statue of Liberty in GB2. The biggest criticsm of GB2 was that the plot was was essentially a rehash of GB1, so it boggles my mind that they've decided to remake the first film yet again.

I'm still hopeful the new film will be great. But I think it might have been even better if they'd kept the "passing the torch" idea.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

your evil twin posted:

I'm still hopeful the new film will be great. But I think it might have been even better if they'd kept the "passing the torch" idea.

I was hoping for it to basically be The Extreme Ghostbusters, myself.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Heir03 posted:

Btw, the comics that came out not long ago are pretty good too,.

This is 100% accurate. The comics also take place in the same timeline as the game, though I don't actively remember them referencing much other than "the Rookie."

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Bombogenesis posted:

This is 100% accurate. The comics also take place in the same timeline as the game, though I don't actively remember them referencing much other than "the Rookie."

He shows up a few times, usually as part of the B team when the main crew is otherwise indisposed, occupied, or dimensionally challenged. Speaking role this time, but still sports the old jumpsuit (for luck) and remains unnamed as far as I can recall. There are a few references to events from the game sprinkled throughout the whole run, but usually aren't more than quick nods that fans who played it would recognize.

Also: comic good.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yeah the monthly IDW comic series is amazing. Well... the first story is so-so, but the second story onwards is fantastic.

Lots of people say that the videogame is effectively Ghostbusters 3, but a fair chunk of it is reliving classic moments rather than new plot (especially in the early sections).

I think the real honour of being the true Ghostbusters 3 belongs to the IDW comic. Or perhaps the comic is Ghostbusters 4. Or an excellent TV show spin-off.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Possessors possess. Next up, water is wet and people need to breathe to live.

Episode 7: Museum of Supernatural History ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The stone looking things you were talking about were likely made from concrete and/or cement which is commonly used to replicate stone or even wood in the case of the Tree of Life in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Chimera-gui posted:

The stone looking things you were talking about were likely made from concrete and/or cement which is commonly used to replicate stone or even wood in the case of the Tree of Life in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

In temporary exhibits in museums and such I've mostly seen painted styrofoam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the tumbleweeds you were talking about were supposed to be packing straw. But since it's an early-ish PS3 game they can't render individual strands.

• Locked thread