Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Topoisomerase posted:

An FCE, if that's what it was, is basically like a spinal "stroke" so it's not usually from an old injury if that's what you were trying to say there. Another possibility for a dog that acutely can't use its hind legs is an intervertebral disc extrusion, either compressive (it is sitting in the vertebral canal compressing the spinal cord - this is where the surgery is usually indicated, to decompress, remove the disc material and most of the time to take the rest of the material out of the torn disc too) or noncompressive (it was high velocity and it tore right through the outer protective layer of the cord and lodged itself in the middle - this is typically non-surgical as the material is within the cord and decompression from outside is usually not really helpful). Perhaps the latter is the etiology of your dog's injury. The noncompressive disc looks identical to an FCE on a myelogram (all you can see is a spot of cord swelling, if anything), only MRI can be used to potentially differentiate between the two.

Yeah, I've got the same halfassed assessment information, myself.

Keep in mind that I was on the other side of the country for all of this, so all I have are the various conversations I had before I OK'd the surgery. I still don't know for sure what the hell happened, other than her running out to go to the bathroom as AWD, and coming back as as a gimpy front wheel drive.

The cord was compressed, and it was suggested that she have the surgery. The vet first stated, then apologizedm stating that they thought it was a disc issue, but didn't find one once they did the myelogram- but they removed the bone surrounding the inflamed cord where it was damaged, allowing it to swell, hoping to keep further injury to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pile of Kittens posted:

Everyone's being super polite to you since you're in a stressful place. Please don't poo poo up your own thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

If you posted a thread about how your car was hosed up in AI and your mechanic told you to [x] and some other mechanics that are AI regulars told you "that's weird, you don't usually do [x] for that problem, did your mechanic try [y]?" you wouldn't get all shirty and dismissive with them, right? People have been trying to help you and you're burning the wick a bit low in your good manners candle.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 10, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Also, closing your own thread is against the rules, please don't do that!

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
Thanks for you input.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

We don't have a goddamn problem with the treatment you chose, we have a goddamn problem with your attitude.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I literally do not understand why OP went nuclear defense mode

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hi OP I said I want your doggie better and I do but nobody is saying you did the wrong thing by listening to your vet. They're just disagreeing with your vet because doctors have different opinions on things and it's cool okay, okay. Snoot one more time and it's gonna get real neat in here. I have Thoughts About This. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
*squat on the ground and strike flint stones to make fire* I still don't know why the op is so upset

• Locked thread