Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
also my read through says you too. i just cant imagine mmt is scum after reading all those cases and thoughtful posts. somber has like 3 votes the entire game and the rest of it is harping on exact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I am currently playing softball but I'm not going to do anything until I've read the game more (probably tonight? Possibly not until tomorrow?)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, that's probably why I'm alive. I'm nothing better than a guaranteed win for scum in lylo.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I reread Somber and think he's scum, I want to doublecheck derp / MCS / Mithross' posts to make sure I'm not wrong since it's the end of the game. While I do so,

Somberbrero posted:

Well, my gut says uranus.

I'll think about it. I'm going to laugh pretty hard if it's Mt and then maybe cry a bit.

You've been casing me the whole game and claiming I'm incomprehensible. Derp has a TOWN investigation on him. Can I get an explanation why him over me?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

uranus posted:

yeah and my gut says you. thats kinda cray that neither of us want to vote the one person without a cop investigation.

Kumba copped me, we're all town :v::hf::j::hf::v:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Kumba copped me, we're all town :v::hf::j::hf::v:

Murmur Twin posted:

You've been casing me the whole game and claiming I'm incomprehensible. Derp has a TOWN investigation on him. Can I get an explanation why him over me?

(note: I forgot about my own investigation when I mentioned "Derp has a TOWN result")

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm putting an official "I'm voting Somber" out there but I want to give you guys room to say things before throwing out a vote.

Somberbrero posted:

Looks like MCS just being an rear end in a top hat honestly, that tepid OWS slam is funny but not in the way it was intended. I'm way more concerned with GG slapping a vote on you following that exchange without any reasoning.

---

I can't recall any posts from MCS this game but 'aggressively misinterpreting' seems to be his raison d'etre.

---

The mcs case strikes me as a lot of 'wrong therefore scum.' if EXAKT were picking on anyone else I'd be less confident in my read of him, but that dude is like the most opportune target ever, being both an rear end in a top hat and generally goony in his case making. None of the effort against him feels like a genuine attempt to scum hunt.

---

Why are you pushing someone at the start other than your quote top scum read unquote? You keep trying to divert the discussion to mcs to distract from the fact that your train of thought makes nooooo sense. I'm not moving me vote.

He was pretty noticeably trying to divert pressure away from MCS all game.

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

I'll give you an opinion on someone when I'm ready to do so. See the previous day.

---

They're valid points on the surface. When my work computer isn't being a piece of poo poo due to the forums flash ads exploding or I get off work, I'll dig a bit more deeply into it.

Not trying to be non-committal, but browsing the forums is an exercise in frustration and patience right now.

MCS stalled when asked to case Somber, twice.

Mithross posted:

Derp has been pushing imgay, and given no reason for it. Ok, well, he gave a reason, but it was :words:

Derp is my top pick right now, though.

##vote uranus

Mithross posted:

I'm not sure how much an MCS flip would tell us, though, with Exakt claiming cop. Before that it would have been quite useful, now it would just add a little weight to the claim if MCS flipped scum, and do very little if they flip town.

Mithross never mentions Somber and tries (transparently) to divert from MCS - he doesn't strike me as someone that would be trying to bus Derp.

Somberbrero posted:

Pretending that a case on lurkers has anything at all to do with hunting scum is scummy. MT is picking on targets that no one cares about and who probably wouldn't be around to defend themselves. Especially with the modkill threats, there's no way her case is genuine.

Somberbrero posted:

i see exakt's socratic casing method as value neutral tbqhwy but casing anyone based on the night kill is out-and-out wrong and scummy as poo poo. the 'oh geez wow weird' reaction to imgay flipping feels phony. same goes for mithross but he's not trying to define the narrative for today based on the kill.

I didn't trust either of these, because Somber is basically equating "not strategically optimal" as "scummy". There is nothing scummy about voicing suspicions and trying to question people - if we were tunneling in on people for those reasons, sure, but in neither case were we trying to do that.

Somberbrero posted:

i'm not voting you because i'm worried i'm just not communicating or understanding what you're saying.

If Somber was town who didn't understand me I feel like he'd be asking me to clarify my points. Instead he uses not understanding me to rationalize not voting for me while still accusing me of being scum.

Somberbrero posted:

what part of this is actually trying to find scum? you're trying to pull apart my inconsistencies but you don't say why that you think i'm scum. changing my mind in response to game content doesn't mean i'm scum. then chaining together mcs and kumba and i as a scum team so you have the excuse of 'looking for information' seems nuts. i feel like you're trying to avoid culpability by describing it as an information dunk.

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear, you think I'm trying to pitch killing you as an information dunk so that it doesn't look like I think you're scum?

I feel like I caught Somber using fake logic on me (I had clearly been accusing him of being scum all game) and he didn't answer me when I called him out on that.

merk posted:

The easiest aspect of the case to follow is that I can't put myself in the mind of a town player who actually believes the evolution of his MMT read. He spends a lot of effort on day 1 telling us that MMT is scum, and then backs away from it by saying that she just isn't making sense. He's been riding that isn't making sense thing for two days, but then he puts MMT in his list of people he'd lynch again today. The "scum->'i dont know'->scum list" progression of his MMT read doesn't feel like it's made from a town player. I think he already knows her alignment.

---

More information on the somb read: When I was going through d2 and saw that somb stopped talking about MMT altogether, I actually thought somb was a Cop. That was the only way I could internalize why he would so immediately stop talking about MMT: he had a town result on her. Him putting her back in his scum list on this very page takes away that possibility, so here I am without being able to rationalize his play surrounding her where he's town.

Somberbrero posted:

I really think I'd be playing a more definitive game as scum, merk.

Ditto with Merk.

Somberbrero posted:

Well, my gut says uranus.

I'll think about it. I'm going to laugh pretty hard if it's Mt and then maybe cry a bit.

And finally, when all is said and done Somber thinks I'm town despite having accused me of being scum all game.

I read over derp and got mostly town vibes, and was going to go into detail regarding why, but at this point I feel like the onus is on Somber to either explain to me why derp is scum or explain to him why I am.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
ugh, murmur.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

He was pretty noticeably trying to divert pressure away from MCS all game.

Yeah, I didn't think MCS was scum for a while.

Murmur Twin posted:

MCS stalled when asked to case Somber, twice.

MCS stalled when asked to case anyone.

Murmur Twin posted:

Mithross never mentions Somber and tries (transparently) to divert from MCS - he doesn't strike me as someone that would be trying to bus Derp.

derp was pushing mithross almost immediately this game, which seems pretty unusual to me. nothing about ross' early posting seemed that bad, i'm willing to bet derp decided to immediately bus his buddy.

Murmur Twin posted:

I didn't trust either of these, because Somber is basically equating "not strategically optimal" as "scummy". There is nothing scummy about voicing suspicions and trying to question people - if we were tunneling in on people for those reasons, sure, but in neither case were we trying to do that.

none of what you're saying correlates to what you are quoting.

What about this post has to do with strategy?

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, voting a lurker is dumb.

Lurking is always anti-town behavior. However, it's alignment neutral. There are plenty of reasons why anyone wouldn't post that have nothing to do with the game. I almost gave a full recap of my weekend here to evidence how ridiculous the 'hiding in plain sight' hypothesis is. Voting someone based on lurking, while maybe something you could argue improves the quality of the game, is not scumhunting. Both scum and town lurk.

Pretending that a case on lurkers has anything at all to do with hunting scum is scummy. MT is picking on targets that no one cares about and who probably wouldn't be around to defend themselves. Especially with the modkill threats, there's no way her case is genuine.

I'm questioning your motivations and the inherent opportunism in the people you are casing. the post about exakt you quoted had to do with him making cases based on the night kill, which again has nothing at all to do with strategy.

Murmur Twin posted:

If Somber was town who didn't understand me I feel like he'd be asking me to clarify my points. Instead he uses not understanding me to rationalize not voting for me while still accusing me of being scum.

I feel like I caught Somber using fake logic on me (I had clearly been accusing him of being scum all game) and he didn't answer me when I called him out on that.

when was the last time i called you scum

trying to communicate with you this game has been impossible. you've been tunneled in on me since practically the game start. i cannot at all comprehend some of what you're saying, like the above post about strategy, but other people acted like you made sense so i was okay to leave it alone because i'm not that invested this game.

i've rewritten this particular point of this post half a dozen times because i'm trying to find a way to respond without calling your posts stupid. honestly i don't know what else i'm supposed to say. you don't make sense. i started to respond to your nonsensical callout earlier in the game, but i stopped because i couldn't do it without being an rear end in a top hat.

Murmur Twin posted:

And finally, when all is said and done Somber thinks I'm town despite having accused me of being scum all game.

I read over derp and got mostly town vibes, and was going to go into detail regarding why, but at this point I feel like the onus is on Somber to either explain to me why derp is scum or explain to him why I am.

please find the last time i called you scum. please.

i think you're town and you're alive because derp knows that you'll vote for me no matter what. I usually don't get this angry arguing with scum, i just think you're wrong.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

uranus posted:

additional people on my list of to kill:

imgay
mithross
ghost.. maybe?
opop..... maybe? seems very lazy this game

the good guys:
jake
exact

mithross had barely posted at all during this point in the game and derp doesn't say why he wants to vote him. he rides that thought through more or less the whole game.

i wish i had been nightkilled.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
##vote somber

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I promise I'm making a good faith effort to see your points (and to reply to yours, which is coming), mainly because (a) it's entirely possible that Scum Derp left me alive knowing I'd tunnel on you and (b) I know I sometimes have tunnel vision when I'm suspicious of people. But I've had a scum read on you for pretty much the whole game - the only thing that changed my mind was the TOWN result which no longer plays since we've all investigated TOWN - and so this is more a case of me sticking to my guns.

I really don't want to lose the game here. If I vote for Somber and he's town, then I played right into scum's plans. If I vote for derp and he's town, then I let myself get talked out of my strongest read.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
at least i can know for sure that murmur isn't scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Screw it, I can't get it out of my head that if I vote for Uranus and he's town, I will be the Biggest Mafia Idiot In The World for letting myself get talked out of what's been my strongest read all game.

##vote Somber :redhammer: - if I'm wrong here, I honestly apologize for the way I tunneled/allowed myself to get played.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
:ghost::munch::ghost:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

quote:

Gallagher took his mallet, ready to crush the only person he could rationalize at the lizard. His head, a gnomish, melon-looking mound, right before the hammer struck, shifted into slick, reptilian skin, its corpse falling to the Earth.

He looked around, seeing the errant, wacky destruction that used to be a village. The fields messy, farm tools laying in the middle of the road, half the village huts burned downed completely.

He knelt, looking up at my butty sky, and screamed WHY!?!?!?

Somberbrero, Gaston Gasto, Scum Godfather, has been lunched D6.

All threats to the village have been eliminated... but at what cost?

quote:

Gruberta looked around at Gnoman's Land, remembering her husband, hoping to make something of his sacrifice. She gathered up her children, and the few gnome children left, and thought about her future, not knowing how she would move on.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
woooooo. go us. gj tho somber i had some doubts in the end

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Good game everyone! I learned a TON about balance, flavor and how to actually use votefinder. I plan to mod again one day!

ModDoc

Scumdoc

Loverdoc

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

And yeah, derp's whole role PM was Gallagher, Vanilla Town, and a youtube video of Gallagher.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
wooooooooooooooooooooo thank you for going with your gut MT

also somber thank you for killing me so I wouldnt have to make that decision

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hooray! good job you guys. Glad you managed to pull it off in then. I have no idea why they kept us around for so long but I'm glad we helped.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Yay! Thanks for the game BK :)

BottleKnight posted:

Gruberta looked around at Gnoman's Land, remembering her husband, hoping to make something of his sacrifice. She gathered up her children, and the few gnome children left, and thought about her future, not knowing how she would move on.

Hey Gallagher ;-*

Somberbrero posted:

i've rewritten this particular point of this post half a dozen times because i'm trying to find a way to respond without calling your posts stupid. honestly i don't know what else i'm supposed to say. you don't make sense. i started to respond to your nonsensical callout earlier in the game, but i stopped because i couldn't do it without being an rear end in a top hat.

This almost got me - I started thinking about what an rear end in a top hat I would look like (both to town for being wrong and towards Somber personally) if he ended up being town.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

wooooooooooooooooooooo thank you for going with your gut MT

also somber thank you for killing me so I wouldnt have to make that decision

yw. might have been a mistake but i figured regardless it would be a longshot.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

Hey Gallagher ;-*

lol

also i just realized that the galagher video hes on a set of giant furniture so he's small like a gnome

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
also yeah, town played a good game and we did not. we had everything handed to us and couldn't seal the deal.

the lovers were alive so long because there was no reason to kill them before lylo.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Also, Exakt and anyone else, sorry if I ever got personal. I tried to distance myself from some of the more emotional attacks but I don't know how successful I was.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I am real mad at myself for having really strong reads on 2/3 scum day 2 but not being able to case convincingly enough. I am not good at cop!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

And yeah, derp's whole role PM was Gallagher, Vanilla Town, and a youtube video of Gallagher.

lol

Good game all

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hahah

Good game town.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mvp imgay got immeadiately killed

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

lmbo

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

imgay posted:

mvp imgay got immeadiately killed

I loved how much of a self-fulfilling prophecy our marriage being rocky turned out to be. Sorry about that! :ohdear:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mithross posted:

I didn't say it was why I was viable, I just really don't know why that in particular was scummy. It was an honest question, though I didn't expect an answer.

##vote Mithross :redhammer:

Guess I'll never know. Or should I say, gnow?

You should have waited until I got home and cased Kumba, at the time I probably would have fallen for it :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yeah, don't self-vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Congrats town. This was a fun game to read. I'm sorry I had to pull out but I was seriously sick for about a week.

• Locked thread