Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DOJ does not believe in lube, oh they've heard of it but you aren't getting any when they come for you Blatter.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How's the European reaction to this? Talking heads and media figures have railed against FIFA for years but the governments have never done anything about it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

pentyne posted:

The DOJ is going to hold FIFA down and gently caress them into obscurity, and then spearhead the launch of a new International Football organization, with the European countries who played ball the most (so far Switzerland) being given free reign to set it up.

I'm actually curious if FIFA as an organization could fall apart, I don't know enough about how it's structured or organized but presumably if enough higher-ups are indicted, enough assets are impounded, and just generally enough chaos is sown could they not be able to operate?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Fojar38 posted:

Taking down organized soccer and holding the Russian hordes at bay; weird tricks for earning goodwill in Europe.

The funny thing is, this might be as much about politics as it is about law enforcement.
Just goddamn weird, but hilarious at the same time.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

How's the European reaction to this? Talking heads and media figures have railed against FIFA for years but the governments have never done anything about it.

Headline news in the UK for the past two days.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

I am not very versed in the United States Code but it would appear to me that all the defendants are absolutely hosed

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oversteer posted:

I am not very versed in the United States Code but it would appear to me that all the defendants are absolutely hosed

They're being prosecuted under the same legal statues that were used to break the back of the Mob, there's been a high level informant feeding them information for years, a major billion dollar corporation has agreed to work with the US by turning over files, etc.

Anyone getting extradited to the US is going to get hosed hard, and they'll either immediately cut a deal or probably flee to a non-extradition country after they skip on their bail.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
I notice that the latest conpsiracy theory by idiots on the web is that this was conveniently timed to happen just before FIFA voted on suspending Israel! https://twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/603660635033964544?lang=en

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Meanwhile, buildings are still going up in Qatar.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Another element here is that these are Europeans facing american jail sentences. Criminal, not civil. They'll plead out but even their pleas will be more severe sentences than anything they would face in Europe.

Wait has something new come up? I thought that all arrested were from Americas, big names from CONCACAF etc.?

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

pentyne posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32913653

Its going to come up in Parliament today as well. Not to mention a prominent England Ex-Footballer and now commentator is also calling for a boycott.

EDIT

There's a gem of a quote in that article too!

quote:

Former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith, who was a member a committee set up by Fifa to look at possible reforms, said he had warned Fifa that if it did not "get its act together" someone else would come in and "take over".

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Woah, Putin cracked the case:

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin says the United States is meddling in FIFA's affairs in an attempt to take the 2018 World Cup away from his country.

Putin said in televised comments Thursday that it is "odd" that the probe was launched at the request of U.S. officials for crimes which do not involve its citizens and did not happen in the United States." Two of the 14 people charged by U.S. prosecutors have U.S. citizenship.

In a separate probe, Swiss prosecutors are investigating the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.

Putin said he is aware of "the pressure" on Sepp Blatter for his support of Russia hosting the World Cup.

Putin described Wednesday's pre-dawn arrests of seven soccer officials in Zurich as "yet another evident attempt to derail Mr. Blatter's re-election as FIFA president."

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Eel hovercraft posted:

Woah, Putin cracked the case:

This is somewhat significant. Putin doesn't always comment on issues like these, usually it's done by junior ministers in the government or Duma members and such. I'm wondering if there are surprising details coming out regarding Blatter and his warm feelings towards the Putin administration.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
These officals getting off the hook with a fine because of their power is pretty laughable. Rothstein was extremely well connected in the American financial and legal sectors and as an individual had at least $1.2 billion in illegal funds alone. He cooperated well beyond good faith. He owned his own loving ace legal firm:

wiki posted:

His firm had 70 lawyers and 150 employees, with offices in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tallahassee, Florida, New York and Caracas, Venezuela. The firm focused on labor and employment matters, civil rights, intellectual property, internet law, corporate espionage, personal injury, wrongful death, commercial litigation, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and governmental relations.[7] His client list included: Citicorp, J. C. Penney, Ed Morse Automotive Group, National Beverage, Silversea Cruise Lines, Supra Telecom, and Wells Fargo.[8] Until he was permanently disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court on November 25, 2009, Rothstein was a member of the Florida Bar and admitted by the United States Supreme Court. He had been given an "AV" peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.

50 years, federal prison.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DoJ is not loving around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pentyne posted:

I had the same question so I decided to look up what the Daily Mail was saying.

quote:

James Comey, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, stood at the podium, an upright, imposing figure, and delivered a message of purest hope. ‘This may be the way things are,’ he said, ‘but this is not the way things have to be.’ He sounded, for a moment, like Gary Cooper.

‘Every line in his face spelled honesty,’ Frank Capra said of Cooper, and set against the villainous toads of FIFA, Comey had that about him, too. He is 6ft 8in, the tallest member of the Obama administration, the tallest FBI director there has been and he will need to be big, from here. It is hard to imagine a slipperier, more nefarious bunch than the men in charge of football.

They are brazen, they are shameless, they are flagrant in their contempt for law. They twist the rules of the countries they visit, they manipulate, they conspire, they corrupt and diminish. Their leader is a tawdry, Machiavellian politico with the air of one who feels arrogantly insulated against society’s rules.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3100058/Sepp-Blatter-hard-nail-Osama-Bin-Laden-t-FIFA-s-president-bullet.html

They're literally going full-on Frank Capra mode. More tellingly, the comments go from "they're mad they didn't get the bids" conspiracy on the one hand, to "why did this take so long?" and "God Bless America" on the other.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 28, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

God Bless America

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Michael Conahan and Mark Ciavarella are two more good examples of modern RICO cases. They took money in exchange for giving guilty verdicts. This very simple crime alone is consider an act of wire fraud, mail fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, and honest services fraud. After the federal investigators went through everything with a fine tooth comb and a microscope those two ended up with 48 counts total for 20 and 30 years federal time respectively.

Also as far as I'm aware no RICO sentence has ever been reduced, and some have gone to some extreme extents w/g/t good behaviour, acts of contrition, or money invested to try.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 28, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Glah posted:

Wait has something new come up? I thought that all arrested were from Americas, big names from CONCACAF etc.?

The way RICO works, they're probably going to be able to extradite people that didn't even set foot in the US, all because some members of FIFA did business that passed through the US.

This is why people assume Blatter will eventually be prosecuted under US law, and punished under it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Getting Blatter also requires Switzerland to OK extraditing a citizen to the US.

Thankfully it looks like he and FIFA have so disgusted and pissed off so many people that nobody is inclined to defend him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3100058/Sepp-Blatter-hard-nail-Osama-Bin-Laden-t-FIFA-s-president-bullet.html

They're literally going full-on Frank Capra mode. More tellingly, the comments go from "they're mad they didn't get the bids" conspiracy on the one hand, to "why did this take so long?" and "God Bless America" on the other.

Daily Mail online is mostly frequented by Americans though, so who knows who is actually commenting.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

RICO is fun to dissect especially with the disparate commentary in US courts

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Swiss are apparently prohibiting Blatter from leaving Switzerland right now.

This is why (well, one of the many reasons) you always take Henry Kissinger as an example.

He probably has a page in his little notebook devoted to "countries that do not have extradition treaties with any relevant states, in descending order of preference".

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is why (well, one of the many reasons) you always take Henry Kissinger as an example.

He probably has a page in his little notebook devoted to "countries that do not have extradition treaties with any relevant states, in descending order of preference".

Which are apparently:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gravel Gravy posted:

Which are apparently:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

This is the Blatter List, presumably.

Assuming he's going into retirement, the UAE/Qatar and Russia are the obvious choices. :getin: But I personally might roll with Vietnam, Indonesia, or one of the Stans.

There's a bit more choice than I expected!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Another big limitation on Kissinger, Cheney et al. is what countries someone may have brought some holy water or a cross through customs at some point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Another big limitation on Kissinger, Cheney et al. is what countries someone may have brought some holy water or a cross through customs at some point.

I would play a version of the Fury of Dracula board game where you are chasing Kissinger or Cheney throughout the world in order to stop their evil.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OhYeah posted:

This is somewhat significant. Putin doesn't always comment on issues like these, usually it's done by junior ministers in the government or Duma members and such. I'm wondering if there are surprising details coming out regarding Blatter and his warm feelings towards the Putin administration.

Putin is personally involved in the bribery and handed over a Picasso. I imagine he wouldn't like to lose the world cup bid, it'd cost him a shitload of face.

Russia won't lose the bid but the amount of people who seem to think Qatar is still going to happen is insane. Blatter's almost certainly already been rolled on, Jack Warner et al wouldn't piss out a fire if it didn't personally benefit them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Getting Blatter also requires Switzerland to OK extraditing a citizen to the US.

Thankfully it looks like he and FIFA have so disgusted and pissed off so many people that nobody is inclined to defend him.

Luckily, one Bill "slick willie" Clinton signed an extradition treaty with Switzerland that already guarantees they can't protect Blatter without serious diplomatic backlash.

quote:

Article 3(3) provides that the executive authority of the Requested State may refuse extradition for acts which (a) violated provisions of law relating exclusively to currency policy, trade policy or economic policy, (b) are intended exclusively to reduce taxes or duties, or (c) constitute an offense only under military law. The provisions in subsections (a) and (b) were included in the Treaty because Swiss law for the most part prohibits extradition for purely fiscal or tax offenses. This provision would not be used to shield from extradition underlying criminal conduct, such as fraud, embezzlement, or falsification of public documents, if that conduct is otherwise extraditable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

Luckily, one Bill "slick willie" Clinton signed an extradition treaty with Switzerland that already guarantees they can't protect Blatter without serious diplomatic backlash.

The section that would be relevant would be these:

quote:

1. Extradition shall not be granted when the person sought has been
convicted or acquitted by the Requested State for the same acts for which
extradition is requested.
2. Extradition may be denied by the Executive Authority of the United
States or by the competent authorities of Switzerland if the offense for
which extradition is requested is subject to the jurisdiction of the
Requested State and that State will prosecute that offense.

Basically Switzerland can prosecute him themselves, and if they then botch it the Swiss can't extradite.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

Basically Switzerland can prosecute him themselves, and if they then botch it the Swiss can't extradite.

But under the RICO act can't they just keep hitting Blatter with charges until the Swiss give up or they find a crime the Swiss can't prosecute him for?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

In a speech to mark the opening of the 65th Fifa congress on Thursday afternoon, Blatter said he could not be held responsible for the corruption scandal, emphasised that the allegations and arrests focussed on “a minority of individuals”, and promised, not for the first time, to clean up the organisation and rebuild trust.
Ha.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

It seems unlikely that Swiss prosecutors would be too interested in doing Blatter any favours while the Americans are busy burning FIFA to the ground.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 28, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

That's true, but it does mean that "if" (:lol:) he is implicated as being corrupt they can't just refuse extradition.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
He's Swiss, pretty sure they can refuse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

I didn't see anything in the treaty that gave the right to refuse extradition because the person is a citizen, though I may have missed it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xandu posted:

Seems pretty unlikely this would happen though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If the Swiss eventually rolled over for Europe / the US in the UBS case the chances of them standing up for Blatter are...not high.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Xandu posted:

I dont see any exception for citizen status in the treaty but beyond that this would also put the incredibly expensive burden of prosecution of a man who has a functionally unlimited legal budget on the heads of the Swiss when the US has already warmed up their specifically tuned to disable crack legal teams meat grinder.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

oversteer posted:

From Page 4:
"2. The principal purpose of the enterprise[FIFA] was to regulate and promote the sport of soccer worldwide. "

Word count:
Soccer 25
Football 10 (however most of those are just in the names of the various sports organizations)

Checkmate failballers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

evilweasel posted:

I didn't see anything in the treaty that gave the right to refuse extradition because the person is a citizen, though I may have missed it.

Right, I may have misinterpreted this

Article 8 provides that the Requested State shall not decline to extradite its nationals unless it has jurisdiction to prosecute them for the acts for which extradition is sought. If extradition is refused because the fugitive is a national of the Requested State, that State shall submit the case for prosecution at the request of the Requesting State.

• Locked thread