Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

MustardFacial posted:

Did you ever get to look inside the car or under the hood before you bought it? I didn't. The door were locked. After I bought it, it coughed into life for 20mins and then never again.

Yes. I started it and drove it around the blovk which makes it all the more ridiculous that I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I do the same anytime I'm about to touch a bolt, and doing the "righty tighty, lefty loosy" chant. And that's just from the front... if I'm having to do it backwards like you describe then I have to reverse the chant.

I always get poo poo at work when I go to turn valves and I motion in the air which way I want to turn it, and then if it's backwards, I turn 180 and do it again....juuuuust to make sure.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I was just laughing at all your misfortunes when:

bolind posted:

• Backed over my own socket set. Luckily it was Made in Germany and in a steel box so it didn't really give a gently caress.

Yeah I've done that

bolind posted:

• On more than one occasion swapped war stories instead of focusing and ended up putting the winter wheel I had just removed back on, instead of the summer wheel I had just switched to.

And that (and I don't even have the excuse of being distracted). I've also put a back wheel from the staggered set I had on my V35 on the front and let the car down off the back before noticing.

leica posted:

Ouch.

I once bought a Miata in the dark without a flashlight (forgot it), the interior was perfect so I just glazed over the rest of the car, drove good, ran good and they said it was a Florida car so no worries, right? Took it home and the next morning went to wash it, discovering the horrible rocker rust and later finding out it was a loving car from Ohio. I was so pissed at myself for stupidly failing to notice a deal breaker issue, I would have never even considered buying the car for even half of what I paid for it.

I bought my current car (a Mazdaspeed 3) sight unseen with no service history from a dealer four hours drive and a four hour ride on a ferry boat away for far too much money. Aside from some stonechips on the roof and a bit of scratched paint it's been fine but looking back on it it was pretty stupid.

Also I found put the car was originally purchased as part of an elaborate fraud scheme where a local government fleet bought cars then almost immediately sold them back to a the dealer (and then onto associated dealers) so it technically has 6 owners before me.

dissss fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 29, 2015

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

neckbeard posted:

I thought Subaru was an Australian car company for the longest time (because of the Paul Hogan commercials)

I thought it was Australian, but just because there are stars on the logo that are _vaguely_ in the same position as the southern cross on the Australian flag

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I unironically like the the Prius.

I will like the Prius when the battery packs start going and they are dirt cheap so I can pick one up and drop a V8 in it with side exit exhausts with the boot lid covered in hippy save the earth stickers.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have a truck, it's a 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years. It was my grandfather's truck when he died, I bought it from my grandma.

The 4WD never worked, and I figured it was the automatic hubs, but I wasn't sure and since I'm a cheapskate I kept talking myself out of it "Oh jeez maybe it's something more expensive, better just leave it alone". Just this year I finally had my mechanic fix it, I think it was a whopping $250 to put lovely cheap manual hubs on it. It's a loving beast in the snow, why the hell did I not do this sooner?

Continuing with my sins, about 4 or 5 years ago I hit a deer with the truck. I have the money to fix/replace the damage (grill is gone, bumper bent) but I just can't bring myself to spend [really not that much money] for no good reason. Also, the only spot of rust on the truck is the driver's front fender at the bottom. It looks like I could just get a new fender and bolt it right on, but eh :effort:

Basically I'm the worst because I'm a cheap, lazy bastard and unwilling to spend ~$400 and spend a few nights unbolting/bolting poo poo back on to get my truck back to looking normal (and even sellable if I wanted to).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Basically I'm the worst because I'm a cheap, lazy bastard and unwilling to spend ~$400 and spend a few nights unbolting/bolting poo poo back on to get my truck back to looking normal (and even sellable if I wanted to).

My Miata has had a leaking water pump for well over a year, and I've had the parts to fix it for just as long, I just don't ever feel like doing it :effort:

My Camry also has a pile of new parts in the shed. I really hate working on my cars these days, can't they just run without any problems?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've never used a torque wrench to put my lugnuts on, I just get them good'n'tight with a tire iron. I've never had a wheel come off or sheared a lug.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

EightBit posted:

I've never used a torque wrench to put my lugnuts on, I just get them good'n'tight with a tire iron. I've never had a wheel come off or sheared a lug.

The few times i've tightened my wheel bolts with a torque wrench, it didn't seem much torque when it clicked. I went "Nah, gently caress that." and got a bar and gave them a bit more.

Torque wrenches are for head bolts. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never used a torque wrench on lugs until I got an electric impact and got a torque stick for it, and even then it was just so I didn't accidentally shear a lug off or tighten it too much.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

cursedshitbox posted:

I owned a Yugo

Not embarrassing hth.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522722

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Also I was 16 once and had no idea what the gently caress I was doing with cars. Never had an automotively-inclined family member, grew up without having to fix my own poo poo, etc.

I went into a tuning shop once and asked the guy to order me performance plug wires for my Mustang because "I have a CAI and exhaust and that helps horsepower, but I want to increase my torque some now."

It was also for a 1999 4.6L Mustang. With COPs.

:cripes:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I once tried to repair a BMW sunroof.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BigPaddy posted:

I will like the Prius when the battery packs start going and they are dirt cheap so I can pick one up and drop a V8 in it with side exit exhausts with the boot lid covered in hippy save the earth stickers.

That's the thing about the Prius - outside of the whole "hippy save the earth" thing that gets applied to them, they're really just a good practical car. If your requirements in a car are reliability, cargo space, and fuel efficiency in a car that's around 20k, it really doesn't have much competition. I think, really, that's why it's become such a popular car among such a wide variety of people - not because they care particularly about saving the environment, but because it's a fantastic automotive appliance.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012
I built a 400 SBC over the winter. I had ordered a set of Sealed Power Hypereutectic pistons, expecting a deck clearance of 0.015 we assembled the rotating assembly and spun it a few times to make sure everything was smooth. We were a bit excitable putting this together and neither my brother or I took notice of the deck clearance through all of the 8 cylinders. I set up to measure for blueprinting and the dial reads out at 0.150. For the first time since purchase I check the Sealed Power box, in big block letters on the lid is written, "400 SBC +0.030 FOR USE WITH 5.7 INCH RODS"

400 SBCs have 5.565 rods.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I like my 2014 Corolla and think it is a Good Car. Also, I like the engine noise when I accelerate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought an S14 200SX SE-R with rust through the rocker panels and a big loving kink in the rear axle so that it dogtracked. I knew about the rust.I I didn't know about the axle till a few days later. I had graduated and had a degree at this time. Not even a year later I wadded it up sliding on slushy ice with lovely all-seasons.

I park next to a large concrete post in the underground garage in my apartment building. I've scraped my Speed3 on it two separate times and repaired it both times.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CBD posted:

I built a 400 SBC over the winter. I had ordered a set of Sealed Power Hypereutectic pistons, expecting a deck clearance of 0.015 we assembled the rotating assembly and spun it a few times to make sure everything was smooth. We were a bit excitable putting this together and neither my brother or I took notice of the deck clearance through all of the 8 cylinders. I set up to measure for blueprinting and the dial reads out at 0.150. For the first time since purchase I check the Sealed Power box, in big block letters on the lid is written, "400 SBC +0.030 FOR USE WITH 5.7 INCH RODS"

400 SBCs have 5.565 rods.

Low compression ratio! Just add turbo/supercharger! :v:

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Lower control arm bushings are toast on my cobalt, according to the dealer when they did my ignition recall. I should probably change them, considering the noise over bumps, the shake in the steering wheel, and the slightly irregular tire wear pattern. Buuut, I've known for 30,000 km and I have 275,000 on it now... so who knows if/when it'll get done.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Low compression ratio! Just add turbo/supercharger! :v:

Maybe. 400s don't handle heat all that well, and my cam is all kinds of wrong for forced induction. I'd also need a forged Crower crank for better balance. But I did end up with a really nice set of floating pin Eagle I-beams.

here is another engine building mistake with a 302 SBF.

Getting ready to assemble the rotating assembly I counted off all the rings while placing them in a container of oil, I only had 7 compression rings. I called Hastings, they have awesome customer support, and they mail me out a spare. When it arrives I stick it with the rest and begin assembling pistons. When I go to stick #1 in the bore I look down and see the missing compression ring. Turns out someone distracted me after I wrote down the ring gap but before I pulled the ring out.

CBD fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 3, 2015

CBD
Oct 31, 2012
Also, on 3 separate occasions I have installed a SBC distributor 180 degrees out of phase, then sat there thinking, "Why won't this engine start?"

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
i once spent 800 dollars fixing a problem the dealership would have fixed for me for 300.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My first "big" repair I did on my first car was the timing chain. It was a small block Ford so easy peasy. Got it all back together and it wouldnt run right so I thought I messed up the timing marks. Took it all apart, checked it and put it back together and it still wouldn't run right. Turns out I had 2 wires off on the firing order the whole time. It sucked because the first time I did it I took my time and made sure everything was nice and pretty, no RTV everywhere, etc. The second time it was a mess since I was trying to hurry :(

Another awesome time I had was with a 90s Saturn. It was my buddys car and he money shifted it and lunched the differential. On those cars its a wicked pain to swap the trans cause you either have to pull the whole drivetrain or drop the subframe. Working in my dirt driveway we decided to drop the subframe. All in all it went pretty well, the wrestling the trans back on to the motor part even went well. Then as we we high fiving and happy that it was back together I spotted the clutch fork and throwout bearing lying on the ground. Of course the second time the wrestling the trans part back in sucked and took a wicked long time.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Replaced the upper shock bushings on the XJ. Easy 20 min job, etc. Drove it for a day or two before I noticed this:

I left thr wrench down there after tightening up the last one. How it it stayed in there I have no idea. Thank heavens it didn't fall and get tossed thru someone's windshield by the tire.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

dreesemonkey posted:

2. This is pretty embarassing, but I can't park our 2015 hyundai sonata very well in our work parking lot. I over-correct and end up crooked if I'm not parking next to another car. I think it's a combination of being fairly short, new car high beltlines, and the window/beltline sloping up slightly that has me screwed up (could previously use that as a guide to judge how parallel I was).

I still do this 6 years into owning my V70 wagon.

Thread be the judge of whether or not I should be embarrassed: I use old clothes for grease rags - including holey underwear. There are underwear on my garage floor right now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

LloydDobler posted:

I still do this 6 years into owning my V70 wagon.

Thread be the judge of whether or not I should be embarrassed: I use old clothes for grease rags - including holey underwear. There are underwear on my garage floor right now.

What the hell else would you use them for? Not like it matters if they get stained more

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
AI, I've never confessed these sins. As a young, foolish man, I took a 1985 4runner and added not just a yellow steering wheel, shift knob and 'racing' pedals... I also added a tachometer that went to 10k. On an engine that couldn't see half of that without blowing. And white faced gauges. And clear corners. And I painted the skid plate yellow. And I tinted the windows myself, badly.

It's been 16 years and I still feel guilty. Sometimes I try to tell myself that it was the 90s and that I was just a dumb teenager. But then I see this picture and my stomach drops :cry::

I come now before you AI, prostrate, and ask, how many times do I need to watch Fury Road to be free of this guilty conscience? What penance should I pay?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Oh, my turbo oil drain is leaking? Eh it's fine, I'll just check the level regularly and keep it topped off."

A few years later: "Hmm, engine's knocking a bit, better save up for an engine rebuild."

Another 6 months: "Golly, my engine sounds like a blender full of rocks! That is probably bad."

While swapping the motor out I replaced all the seals on the new engine, including the rear main, which I drove in to its max depth. I realized the error of my ways when I got it all back together (no mean feat given the Protege doesn't have a single connector to unplug the engine harness, so every connector has to be undone manually), let it run and warm up, and discovered a trickling stream of oil dripping from the bellhousing joint. I got so pissed off I didn't touch it for like another 5 months.

The Blazer was a comedy of errors on my part. Ran it out of fuel the morning after I got it, in the process discovering that no, the fuel gauge was not in fact broken, it was just actually that low. Ran it out again a couple months later when I overestimated the safety margin below E.

Ended up killing the thing during a valve cover gasket job that turned into an intake removal when I accidentally snapped off the heater hose bung in the manifold; I'm pretty sure some gunk dropped down in the valley while I had it off, which worked its way down and (I assume, never did a postmortem) blocked the oil pickup the next morning on my way to work. Lost oil pressure at 80 mph, limped off the exit, truck never drove more than 30 feet under its own power again.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

AI, I've never confessed these sins. As a young, foolish man, I took a 1985 4runner and added not just a yellow steering wheel, shift knob and 'racing' pedals... I also added a tachometer that went to 10k. On an engine that couldn't see half of that without blowing. And white faced gauges. And clear corners. And I painted the skid plate yellow. And I tinted the windows myself, badly.

It's been 16 years and I still feel guilty. Sometimes I try to tell myself that it was the 90s and that I was just a dumb teenager. But then I see this picture and my stomach drops :cry::

I come now before you AI, prostrate, and ask, how many times do I need to watch Fury Road to be free of this guilty conscience? What penance should I pay?

I put projectors with angel eye rings on my Audi when I was 24. I still cringe when I think about that one. I was into cars long enough at that point to know better but I did it anyway :blush:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is cruel and unusual punishment for such an awesome truck. :negative:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I have a Nissan Bluebird SSS with the SR20. The other morning I heard squealing on startup so stopped it straight away and tore off the valve cover. Sure enough, the oil lines to the cams were not so good. I caught it before it did any real damage, and got it fixed. While I was there, I decided to change the oil and filter. Couldn't get the filter off easily so resorted to a screwdriver.
I sheared the thread off the block.

:negative:

Only positive is that as I found it's not actually directly attached to the block, but a bolt-on housing. Otherwise it would have been throw the engine away time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it's anything like my protege, that might not even be cast into the housing, but just a piece of threaded tube. Could be a $3 fix.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just replaced the housing. Christ I felt like a dick.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
In college, I bought a lovely '92 Mustang (2.3L auto :toot: ) off a trade-in lot at a large dealership for $125, and drove it ~20 miles home. The oil pressure gauge was reading zero the whole time. My thought process went something like "Hmm, there's no way this obviously neglected piece of poo poo could be out of oil, the gauge must be broken!"

Yeah, the gauge wasn't broken :( I threw in a quart of oil after I got home, and the pressure came right up. :doh: Oh, and the cooling system was half full, due to a leak in the radiator that was pissing the whole time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

In college, I bought a lovely '92 Mustang (2.3L auto :toot: ) off a trade-in lot at a large dealership for $125, and drove it ~20 miles home. The oil pressure gauge was reading zero the whole time. My thought process went something like "Hmm, there's no way this obviously neglected piece of poo poo could be out of oil, the gauge must be broken!"

Yeah, the gauge wasn't broken :( I threw in a quart of oil after I got home, and the pressure came right up. :doh: Oh, and the cooling system was half full, due to a leak in the radiator that was pissing the whole time.

Haha that reminds me if a good one. One of my friends when I was living in Florida had this like 95 S10 with a wicked built 355, like a 13 second in the 1/4 or whatever. We were driving it to a friends house and before we hit a dirt road we decided itd be a good idea to blow some donuts in an intersection. Didnt think much of that but on the way home the temp gauge just kept climbing and climbing but it kept running fine so we thought it was a problem with the gauge. Enough so that the gauge went all the way around to the low temps. The next day we figured out that we threw the belt blowing donuts and the gauge was totally right and that engine had to be close to 300 degrees or more. It never even boiled over on the 20 minute drive home. That truck is still running today, totally fine, haha.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The first time i did my own oil change i thought "Wow, its black but it looks so think, like water" as i undid the drain plug. As it turns out i was draining the transmission fluid :doh:

On my last autocross i came out of a dip which compressed the car to hear a loud "KA-PING!" metallic noise. Thinking my suspension had come completely undone, i finished the run and looked at the car, which seemed ok. A corner worker came up to me and said "this thing fell off". It was a circular piece of metal i didnt recognize at first but i realized it was a special oxygen sensor socket, which i had put on the sensor and i guess just walked away. It must have been there for weeks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The first time i did my own oil change i thought "Wow, its black but it looks so think, like water" as i undid the drain plug. As it turns out i was draining the transmission fluid :doh:

One of the salesmen at my last job told of a tech who did this to a customer's car, but didn't catch it; redouble-filled the engine oil and gave it back to the customer. I guess there was just enough residual fluid in the converter to drive it away, either that or it was a manual; either way the thing died with the quickness and the tech got sacked for his fuckup.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Enourmo posted:

One of the salesmen at my last job told of a tech who did this to a customer's car, but didn't catch it; redouble-filled the engine oil and gave it back to the customer. I guess there was just enough residual fluid in the converter to drive it away, either that or it was a manual; either way the thing died with the quickness and the tech got sacked for his fuckup.

I did this the first time I changed the oil on my Subaru. I remember thinking "that oil looks really red...must just be what's in there." I caught it when I started filling the oil and it was way over the full mark, though. Had to admit to it right away too, because I needed to borrow someone's car to go get more transmission fluid.

The time after that I didn't double check that the filter seal came off with the filter, double-sealed the new one, and blew all my new oil out on the way to returning the old oil. Made it to the Canadian Tire parking lot, though.

Not automotive, but related: when I worked at a Bobcat dealership, I had to replace the drive motor in a customer's machine. My wrench slipped removing one of the lines, and knocked a bigass hole in the plastic hydraulic tank. My boss was not happy that we had to eat ~4h of labour (at $125/h) and the cost of a new tank (I think like $4-500).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
I own a Smart fortwo 450 CDI, and I work on it.

• Locked thread