Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

*nods* Yes, I see. Ishavara, your rebuttal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kedo posted:

*nods* Yes, I see. Ishavara, your rebuttal?

"Help help I have just been owned"

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Did the console release get delayed?

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Yup. Ragnarok too. Til the 29th I think. If there're any Xbox goons out n about looking for a home I was thinking about putting together a tribe on one of the new release servers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Keep going, i'm almost there!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Newbie question: Is the Ragnarok map being designed with new players in mind as well as higher level players? I'm new to the game and have only built small bases on The Island so far and am wondering if I'll be able to create a new survivor on Ragnarok at launch and do okay? I've hosed about a bit on the current version of Ragnarok, but it seems to be filled with high-level dinos. Is Ragnarok supposed to be played by already high-level survivors who transfer across, or can new players expect to see easier starting zones like the south west of The Island currently?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Yeah Rag and SE are designed to be more difficult.

I recommend The Center for new players. When the game launches thats the first map we'll be playing on.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I ask because some friends of mine had a whole plan to start fresh on Ragnarok on a private server and just PvE it up. Will this be impractical or difficult?

Edit: Do the developers expect people to mostly transfer existing, high-level survivors over to Ragnarok, rather than start fresh?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Gunder posted:

I ask because some friends of mine had a whole plan to start fresh on Ragnarok on a private server and just PvE it up. Will this be impractical or difficult?

Edit: Do the developers expect people to mostly transfer existing, high-level survivors over to Ragnarok, rather than start fresh?

No and no.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
No, it's not actually that much more difficult. Rag and Center both have a 1-150 level range of dinos, and they're both perfectly okay for starting out. I haven't started Rag from scratch, but there's actually a lot of metal on the beaches from what I've seen.

That level range can be a little tough starting out, but it's not that bad, and actually makes the game easier in the long run IMO once you start taming high level dinos. They get a % based level increase based on taming effectiveness, and once you start breeding that imprint bonus gets absurd. I have a high level bred Thylacoleo I ride around on most of the time and it's murdered every wild Rex I've thrown at it.

E: Also, if you guys are planning on running a private server, I highly recommend Ark Server Manager. It takes all the pain out of managing a server and keeping it and any mods up to date. Plus, if you did want to mess around with transferring, it's dead simple to set that up and really only eats an extra half gig of RAM per server instance.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 13, 2017

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've never actually went around Rag on foot so i would recommend a flying mount as early as possible. The whole place is a lot more vertically oriented.

Plenty of Petras in viking Bay

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

So they finally added titanoboa taming, but I cannot think of any reason to actually bother. Maybe if you just really like snakes, I guess.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Colapops posted:

So they finally added titanoboa taming, but I cannot think of any reason to actually bother. Maybe if you just really like snakes, I guess.

EGGS

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Colapops posted:

Egg farm. I recall their eggs were used to make kibble for one of the better creatures to tame. However, getting snake eggs was a royal pain in the butt. That was a year or so ago, so maybe it has changed.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Idk it'd be pretty fun to corner someone in their home and then release a half dozen titanoboas through a single break in the wall. :shrug:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

kedo posted:

Idk it'd be pretty fun to corner someone in their home and then release a half dozen titanoboas through a single break in the wall. :shrug:

I used to do this before they were tameable. I did it when I played with the DEA on 82; got my warbird, found myself some boas, and dropped them on the beach houses that unruly newbies made. One guy basically stayed in his house for two hours screeching in server chat about it.

JuffoWup posted:

Egg farm. I recall their eggs were used to make kibble for one of the better creatures to tame. However, getting snake eggs was a royal pain in the butt. That was a year or so ago, so maybe it has changed.

I only remember that the gigantopithecus uses snake eggs. The wiki says dunkleosteus and thylacoleo do, as well. Is fiber still an issue for people? Was it ever worth using kibble on a gigantopithecus? I've never really felt a need to have a dedicated oil farming animal either where the dunkleosteus is concerned. I know the thylacoleo is a really good combat mount, so maybe that's good enough to consider a snake farm.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I think it's for the sake of making Titanoboa kibble a viably obtainable item

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sasquatch is like a tiny Rex, I used them all the time as a pirate. Very convenient

Unfortunately ARK official ruleset no longer supports that sort of underdog gameplay.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Actually the last patch gave dunks the ability to harvest metal nodes as well.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

JuffoWup posted:

Actually the last patch gave dunks the ability to harvest metal nodes as well.

If only there were any metal nodes anywhere below sea level!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Phoenix dossier is out, by the way!

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Phoenix#Dossier

Looks like it can't be ridden, which is, uh... pretty lame, even if the fact that it's a flaming bird sort of makes that understandable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't played this in like a year, is launch completely wiping everything?

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I think there are some on the Ragnarok map, but I haven't played it yet so take it with a grain of salt.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Pi In The Sky posted:

I think there are some on the Ragnarok map, but I haven't played it yet so take it with a grain of salt.

The cliff areas by the ocean are stockpiled with metal nodes so there really isn't much of a point. They need to add a heavy resource only accessible to the ocean which only a Dunk could harvest viably. Coral? Sea gold?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

well there are some in the underwater bubbles on the center but i guess those don't really help in this case

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

fadam posted:

I haven't played this in like a year, is launch completely wiping everything?

No, but they are going to launch new servers and segregate all of the pre-launch servers. You won't be able to transfer between pre and post-launch servers.

Additionally, some super low population / inactive old servers will be shut down and consolidated.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So I built a stone tower about 9 walls high on a hill. This is the view from the top of it:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
The eclipse can't burn your eyes out if you look at it through the videogame world

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's a pretty nice black rectangle with a moon in it.

PartTimeNinja
Jul 15, 2017

Skoll posted:

So I built a stone tower about 9 walls high on a hill. This is the view from the top of it:

From our main official server.

PartTimeNinja
Jul 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIAPcVdZO8

Official launch trailer. Just three more days until we take our new official servers.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
That trailer seems to have a fair amount of stuff we haven't seen before.

What's this thing? I would have thought a Titanosaur but nope. Look at how tiny that Rex is on it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Is there another content patch coming on the 29th?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burns posted:

Is there another content patch coming on the 29th?

Yes. The otter and those star wars ep1 droids (or was it ep2, I never watched the new ones) from the trailer are supposed to arrive with the launch.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
D-Day is tomorrow. :getin:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So, has the Ragnarok full release happened yet?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I know what they added generally but are there patch notes posted?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/166421-pc-patch-notes-current-v267-upcoming/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9T_uPssVB4 New map!