Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
PVP never interests me because I am bad at video games generally so I'm always going to get ganked and that's not fun. I'll only do pvp if we're talking and overwatch or such.

Honestly, if i can't play with other people coop, i'd rather just be alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

PVP never interests me because I am bad at video games generally so I'm always going to get ganked and that's not fun. I'll only do pvp if we're talking and overwatch or such.

Is there a goon pve server or interest in making one?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is there a goon pve server or interest in making one?

That's what I was hoping to find.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm still renting a 10-slot Ragnarok server with mods and a custom ruleset but haven't actually looked at it in ages.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I just don't like PVP in sandbox builder games cuz, like, the fun for me is building and taming stuff. Spending a week building a cool base and finding neat dinos to tame and having it all wiped out when I'm asleep just makes me not wanna play the game for a while.

Occasionally we will find a fun server to just play on constantly for a couple weeks then vanish from the game for a while

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For me, the reason I like the single player mode is that I can gently caress off for a few weeks playing some other game and not worry about starving dinos. That was one part that had started to bother me on the official server back in the day. Knowing I had to log in every day to make sure everything was fed.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

For me, the reason I like the single player mode is that I can gently caress off for a few weeks playing some other game and not worry about starving dinos. That was one part that had started to bother me on the official server back in the day. Knowing I had to log in every day to make sure everything was fed.
Not sure if I tweaked the settings or they changed how that worked since you played, but I never had any issues leaving my dinos for weeks at a time on my server. They seemed to only use their food bar if they were active or healing.

Chalk me up as another goon that prefers the laid-back small, enhanced rates PvE server experience for building cool things and collecting cool dinos. I only started playing near the end of EA though, so it never really had a chance for the exploration/crafting/leveling/collecting game to get stale. And I don't really have the patience for default rates on these games that are designed for large clans.

Though I also strangely enjoyed tinkering with the rules too. I ended up putting together custom beacon drop scripts to try to make them semi-worthwhile even through the mid game. (Basically, since I had the Modification Station mod, IIRC I limited that to maxing out at low-level ~blueish mods, added mid-level ~purpleish stuff to beacons as level appropriate, and threw maxed out equipment in the dungeon beacons. I also threw useful stuff like eggs, kibble, and decent quantities of basic resources in the lower tier beacons so they're still sometimes worth your time.)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'd play on a chill goon PvE server. I have over 200 hours in this from playing on PvE servers with a buddy who has since moved onto other games.

Hanging with dinos is fun stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jackard posted:

I'm still renting a 10-slot Ragnarok server with mods and a custom ruleset but haven't actually looked at it in ages.

I'd be down with a chill-goon Ragnarok server...it's the map I'm most interested in. Are your friends still using that server, or would you mind throwing it into a PGS thread?

Or maybe if there's enough/more-than-expected interest we can pool for a goon-server?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, the drama on the smalltribes servers is A+ Good Stuff. Even had a dev show up on EU19 today! :woop:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ragnarok is cool because it has the dragons, but not the BS heat everywhere.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I'd be down with a chill-goon Ragnarok server...it's the map I'm most interested in. Are your friends still using that server, or would you mind throwing it into a PGS thread? Or maybe if there's enough/more-than-expected interest we can pool for a goon-server?
Not in forever, but didn't really want to shut things down after putting so much work into it. I'll load it up and have another look.

E: Wow everything is a mess after all the updates the devs have made in the meantime.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 4, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm lazy/impatient and had money on my paypal so I set up a server...I'll post the info in an hour or so when I get it set up!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862246

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cool! I just leved up enough to get a bow so. I feel like a bad rear end now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Cool! I just leved up enough to get a bow so. I feel like a bad rear end now.

I'm doing 3x/6x/9x gathering/xp/taming so that will happen much quicker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I'm doing 3x/6x/9x gathering/xp/taming so that will happen much quicker.

Yea that worked great. My biggest problem is I keep having too much poo poo on me, and I cannot figure out why. Like one swing of the axe and bam, encumbered.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that worked great. My biggest problem is I keep having too much poo poo on me, and I cannot figure out why. Like one swing of the axe and bam, encumbered.

You're gathering three times as much heavy poo poo each swing, that's why.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GenericOverusedName posted:

You're gathering three times as much heavy poo poo each swing, that's why.

I got that, it was that I had one stack of wood and i was encumbered. I put a ton of points into weight but that doesn't seem to effect it. Though do construction items weigh anything?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

I got that, it was that I had one stack of wood and i was encumbered. I put a ton of points into weight but that doesn't seem to effect it. Though do construction items weigh anything?

Building pieces weigh 4 each.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Building pieces weigh 4 each.

that's a lot less than a stack of wood.

I'm going to move to Lowtax city as soon as I forge a sword. I'm not sure if I should make fur armor too.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Hopeful they will install the stack mod I suggested as it reduces weight of items by 50% as well as increaseing the stack sizes. Whwre is thw main base at, I plan on playing more this weekend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nosthula posted:

Hopeful they will install the stack mod I suggested as it reduces weight of items by 50% as well as increaseing the stack sizes. Whwre is thw main base at, I plan on playing more this weekend.

It looks like its up in the cliffs just behind the beach from what I can tell.

Welp, lost all my poo poo beacuse 3 sabertooths were camping my stuff and I couldn't get it back before it despawned.

Did you know behind our base is a giant cliff that has no way up? I just discovered that after going to get a drop, and even though there was njothing around it, when i opened it a bunch of raptors attacked me and sadly, I lost one of our birds while trying to escape them. But now i'm hosed because i cannot find anyway back, and I died of dyhydration while trying to find a way home. Great work. on my part there. Nothing I had cannot be resplaced, except for the Ascendant flak helmet blueprint I had found in that drop.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2018

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

So the wife and I, after many hours of playing, had finally decided to transition to a new base from the initial low level penninsula area on The Island all the way up to the Hidden Lake in the NE corner of the map.

We had a conga line of 2 Thoriznos to cut down trees (ridden by us), Bronto, Bronto (with 4 Sabertooths defending), Diplodocus (With like 15 Raptors Defending), Stego, Stego (With 7 Dilos defending), Parasaur, Stego, Trike, Stego, Parasaur (With 7 Dilos defending), Parasaur, Trike (With a Tapejera following with 4 Argeventis defending).

Lessons learned:
1) gently caress going through the swamps, lost a raptor due to leeches and we had to stop a lot for leech removal.
2) Spread out your small defender dinosaurs, many times I was having to run up and down the line unclumping people because they'd be surrounded by Raptors or Dilos and couldn't path.
3) Maaaaaybe not so long of a train?
4) Platforms aparently can't actually carry dinos anywhere, we had a bunch of the smaller dinos like Hesperornis, dodos, etc, on the second bronto but they all fell off in our staging area. So they weren't a loss but it was annoying figuring it out later. We'll probably have to individually ferry them up with Argeventis' (No, we can't abandon these dodos, the wife is attached to them).
5) Put saddles on every member of the conga line to repair the chain if a link is taken out.
6) If you're going to be taking the trail of tears a second time, make a bunch of thatch foundations and make a breadcrumb trail so the next time you don't spend all the time clearing out trees and rocks in your path.

We lost one parasaur, one raptor (due to leeches) and one Sabertooth. Not terribly bad all considering, but it took about three hours of plodding due to having to clear out rocks and trees in our path, and having to take a wide detour due to a couple of Alpha raptors. We still have a Rex, a Yut, Thoriznos, Ankys, Dodics, and all the small guys to figure out how to get north so we're taking a break and building up the base.

I really want to make the move to Ragnarok by uploading all the dinos and such, but it'll probably be another month or two before we get to that point as she wants to hit all the explorer notes before we leave. :smith:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I asked this, kind of, in the PGS thread for Toxic Fart Syndrome's server, but what is the PVE like in this? Is there anything to do besides build a base and tame dinosaurs? Are there interesting places to explore and loot? I've been playing Conan Exiles, and I'm looking for something similarish.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I asked this, kind of, in the PGS thread for Toxic Fart Syndrome's server, but what is the PVE like in this? Is there anything to do besides build a base and tame dinosaurs? Are there interesting places to explore and loot? I've been playing Conan Exiles, and I'm looking for something similarish.

There's small mini-dungeons in the form of caves that end with a boss monster. You can eventually gather components to summon bigger, stronger bosses and then you can get components from them to summon big ol raid-style bosses. I think? I generally hit my limit with the game before I get that far so I've only kinda poked around at the "end-game" for PVE

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The maps are pretty big, so there is a lot to explore, but it does suffer a little from "mile wide, inch deep" syndrome. There are lots of cool places to find and explore, but there isn't really a reason to beyond self-satisfaction. The combat in the game isn't super compelling, so I can't imagine the boss fights are much more interesting.

The other PVE activities are farming and fishing. There are random loot drops all over the map, but this isn't really an item-grinding game. If you're running all over the map to look for something, it's probably silica pearls or something for late-game stuff like elevators and laser beams. You can also build house boats, underwater bases, build a house on a dinosaur, all sorts of silly stuff.

Feel free to jump on the Chill Server and explore if you get it: the benefit of the private server are not having to worry about gankers killing you or care bears having built up the whole place.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

nullscan posted:

So the wife and I, after many hours of playing, had finally decided to transition to a new base from the initial low level penninsula area on The Island all the way up to the Hidden Lake in the NE corner of the map.

I know flyers got nerfed into unsexiness, but I feel a few trips with a quetz and a platform saddle could have made that trip anlot more comfy. Unless they changed some stuff and you can't ferry stuff that way anymore?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah the dungeons I did on Ragnorak were pretty lame. Plus the fact that the most realistic way to gear up is to farm desert drops forever. So far Abberation was the coolest to explore. Ragnorak was fun but once I started really exploring I realized how little there actually was. What this game needs is hidden loot boxes in random places. Right now you are just going to find some crystal or something lame like that

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 14, 2018

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Prostheticfoot posted:

I know flyers got nerfed into unsexiness, but I feel a few trips with a quetz and a platform saddle could have made that trip anlot more comfy. Unless they changed some stuff and you can't ferry stuff that way anymore?

We've got xp at about 3x but neither of us can build a quetz platform at the moment, so schlepping overland was the fastest way. We're definitely going to be ferrying some stiff up with argaventi and the quetz though to finish the move.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What are the drop rarities? I grabbed purples and reds and didn't get anything impressive, but a blue gives me an ascendant saddle.

Also I need to build more walls, I tamed an Iganadon but while I went to get more mats to build a lower level pen, 3 raptors came up and killed it. I killed two of them and tend tranq'd the 3rd, but it ran into the water before it KO"d so it died. Though I managed to get another one later on.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

twistedmentat posted:

What are the drop rarities? I grabbed purples and reds and didn't get anything impressive, but a blue gives me an ascendant saddle.

Also I need to build more walls, I tamed an Iganadon but while I went to get more mats to build a lower level pen, 3 raptors came up and killed it. I killed two of them and tend tranq'd the 3rd, but it ran into the water before it KO"d so it died. Though I managed to get another one later on.

So each drop has a certain number of items that can spawn in it and those items can be of any rarity iirc. It's a reason to still go after low level drops in the end game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spanish Matlock posted:

So each drop has a certain number of items that can spawn in it and those items can be of any rarity iirc. It's a reason to still go after low level drops in the end game.

Cool. I was wondering because normally colours = rarity, but this it seems there isn't as much correlation.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Cool. I was wondering because normally colours = rarity, but this it seems there isn't as much correlation.

I've found my "best" stuff from the "worst" drops. Purples are always thatch huts or a bunch of stone and flint.
:smith:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've found my "best" stuff from the "worst" drops. Purples are always thatch huts or a bunch of stone and flint.
:smith:

Water jar blueprint.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Yellows can start to drop some good stuff again. But yeah, anything less than that is pretty much useless after the initial stages. That's why I eventually ended up rolling my own supply drop tables.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You...you guys...I think I love this game:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You...you guys...I think I love this game:

Where'd you get the otter?

I haven't been able to play in a few days because the latest patch is taking forever to install. And when i say forever, I mean it says "60 hours". I googled the issue and most of it is snarky comments about people having lovely internet or crappy computers, but I've seen suggestions that Ark updates in a dumb way and its easier to just uninstall and then reinstall Ark.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Where'd you get the otter?

I haven't been able to play in a few days because the latest patch is taking forever to install. And when i say forever, I mean it says "60 hours". I googled the issue and most of it is snarky comments about people having lovely internet or crappy computers, but I've seen suggestions that Ark updates in a dumb way and its easier to just uninstall and then reinstall Ark.

Follow the waterfalls out of Lowtax City and head into the cave behind the waterfall at the beach (huge ribcage out front, you can fly your bird through the waterfall). I murdered salmon for ~ 5 minutes and one spawned! I'll show you if you ever get updated. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Do better tools harvest more?

As in, does the 150% pickaxe get more metal than the regular one, or just do more damage when used as a weapon?