Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I nearly lost his bary again. Went on a loop of the bay to check for her, found her chomping on a megladon, killed the shark turned around and the bary had vanished again. Dialed down to low graphics and found her hiding in a clump of seaweed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My hero :3:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Hey twisted. I found your bird. He's alive and well. Just need you to be online at same time as me to go fetch him

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Seems all the wyvern eggs are currently in fridges and whatnot. So we have to clear the wyvern spawns to create new ones. Unless someone wants to give an egg up

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Thronde posted:

Seems all the wyvern eggs are currently in fridges and whatnot. So we have to clear the wyvern spawns to create new ones. Unless someone wants to give an egg up

Mentat probably has them all. :laugh:

Can I just make the server spawn more? That seems like the easiest solution. :shrug:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Anyone playing unofficial Xbox servers? I played PC years ago, then finally started on the console a couple weeks ago. I found a 10x taming, 2x harvest PVE server that seems to be decent.

Just took over a skyscraper on the new map, no idea why more people aren't living up top. I also managed to find a 140 pink and purple owl.

I'm interested in playing with goons but have had enough PVP.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Scathach posted:

Anyone playing unofficial Xbox servers? I played PC years ago, then finally started on the console a couple weeks ago. I found a 10x taming, 2x harvest PVE server that seems to be decent.

Just took over a skyscraper on the new map, no idea why more people aren't living up top. I also managed to find a 140 pink and purple owl.

I'm interested in playing with goons but have had enough PVP.

Sk...Skyscrapers? :stare:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Wait, I forgot some people aren't doing the Extinction map yet, sorry. Ahead are some map spoilers so don't click if you want to be surprised. I'm not sure how far y'all have gone with the story and whatnot.

Okay so there's a big deadass city with skyscrapers. Some have pretty fountains so you have access to water fifty stories in the sky. You can't get inside them but they all have buildable balconies and poo poo, so if you have birds (or build halfway up where the roads are and can block the roads off) you'll have a decently safe base.

Roof spiders are bastards though.

I really miss my Ragnarok Prim+ server, but all the P+ have been down since the new map went up. Pretty disappointing. My old admin made a new Rag map with Tek stuff but it's not quite the same.

Also anyone making servers, never mess with the spoil time. For the love of god don't touch it.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 18, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Salisbury Snape posted:

Hey twisted. I found your bird. He's alive and well. Just need you to be online at same time as me to go fetch him

I figured Cheeseburger was still alive as I didn't get notified she died. Where did you find her? I was killed by a dragon when I was on her, so I have no idea where she ended up.

Deathwing though was right where I left him.

Oh god the psychedelic fireflies in today's Neebs Abberation video. :stare:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I figured Cheeseburger was still alive as I didn't get notified she died. Where did you find her? I was killed by a dragon when I was on her, so I have no idea where she ended up.

Deathwing though was right where I left him.

Oh god the psychedelic fireflies in today's Neebs Abberation video. :stare:

She's surrounded by a few dragons. But she's just inland on the edge of the dragon area. I didn't have GPS to give accurate location. But she's def rescuable

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Salisbury Snape posted:

She's surrounded by a few dragons. But she's just inland on the edge of the dragon area. I didn't have GPS to give accurate location. But she's def rescuable

I think I have an idea where she might be, that's not too far from where I died origonally.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, either the timer needs to go up or something needs to happen because we've cleared out the northern spawn twice and still no eggs popping.

Also, is there a discord for the Yagrum's? the invite expired.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

We have become master dragon slayers.
Except the alpha down near twisted's bird. gently caress that noise

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Okay, is there a spot available on your server? I'm super curious to play with you guys now if I can.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Scathach posted:

Okay, is there a spot available on your server? I'm super curious to play with you guys now if I can.

If there are 10 people in at the same time I am shocked! :monocle:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thronde posted:

Yeah, either the timer needs to go up or something needs to happen because we've cleared out the northern spawn twice and still no eggs popping.

Also, is there a discord for the Yagrum's? the invite expired.

This may not be whats happening, but I heard of a bug recently where the eggs weren't physically appearing, but they were still actually there. The solution was to use a whip to pick them up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With the Euro crews help, i reaquired Cheeseburger. Hurray!

Plus they're part of the tribe now.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Funny enough, I'm technically US, but yeah, just works out that way. Glad you got him back.

With wyvern being meh as well as the eggs being appearantly broken, I'm more ready than ever to switch to extinction and build a new. Metal and electronics are super easy to come by there. I still haven't found a way to the underforest or whatever the zone beyond the sanctuary is, I assume it's in the wastelands someplace.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Keep in mind everything broken on Ragnarok is also broken in Extinction. The new map's issues broke poo poo in all maps.

The textures are my least favorite issue. Sometimes dinos look like dinos, sometimes they're smooth eyeless things, and once in a while they're weird dino-colored pyramids following you around.

E: the underforest is under the giant purple spear of rocks/element thing. Just fly around until you see a giant hole in the ground.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 19, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does Extinction have more high tech stuff without beating the bosses?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah, like you can craft at least some of the robots without facing bosses. My tribemate just got a rifle that does 1845 dmg/shot. The engrams shifted around...I'm 57 and still have no crazy good poo poo yet.

I'm on the Overseer PVE 2x harvest 10x tame server if anyone wants to join me. I'm apparently good as a motherfucker when it comes to knocking owls down and my two-person tribe has a couple good starter bases. Admin is friendly and reasonable. Server is paid up for a year.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 19, 2018

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Im happy to wait another couple of weeks for the issues to be smoothed over a bit.
It's a map built for using tek. So unless you have the engrams for tek already some of the late and end game stuff is going to be off the cards.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I suggest waiting for Extinction right now. My gaming group fell apart after the update that deleted peoples bases :( It might be good to go right now, but I'm still a bit sour. The thing that bugged me most about Extinction is theres only 5 new dinos, 6 if you count the Enforcer. All those dinos are tamed via standard taming methods. Abberation had like 20 new dinos (note: I did not count them, I may be exaggerating). Have you guys done Abberation yet? That poo poo was fuckin on point. My buddies PC got fried right as we were about the explore the deeper areas of the map so I never got to.

Extinction does seem to be designed around the fact that you transfer from other maps. This is due to some dinos not being present on Extinction, some dinos being present but untamable, and most damning of all you cant make recipes from the other maps unless you were physically on that map to learn the recipe.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 19, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also just read another post about invisible Wyvern eggs. Definitely try out a whip

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I suggest waiting for Extinction right now. My gaming group fell apart after the update that deleted peoples bases :( It might be good to go right now, but I'm still a bit sour. The thing that bugged me most about Extinction is theres only 5 new dinos, 6 if you count the Enforcer. All those dinos are tamed via standard taming methods. Abberation had like 20 new dinos (note: I did not count them, I may be exaggerating). Have you guys done Abberation yet? That poo poo was fuckin on point. My buddies PC got fried right as we were about the explore the deeper areas of the map so I never got to.

Extinction does seem to be designed around the fact that you transfer from other maps. This is due to some dinos not being present on Extinction, some dinos being present but untamable, and most damning of all you cant make recipes from the other maps unless you were physically on that map to learn the recipe.

There were some cool new things (crabs) in aberration but ultimately I didn't like being underground. I did like how much more dangerous it was in aberration. That gave me more of a sense of accomplishment once we established a foothold, especially in the lower areas. In extinction nothing much will kill you in the starting areas other than bugs since the enforcers ignore them.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I didn't think you could transfer onto Extinction, at least not on official anyway.
The recipes thing is the same for aberration. You can only learn certain things on aberration.

Also just read another post about invisible Wyvern eggs. Definitely try out a whip

I tried a whip with no luck, and then my perfect 210 tame female Ptera with sick stats got nuked by a lightning Wyvern, so I gave up playing with dragons for a bit until I've got some decent bred pteras.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Salisbury Snape posted:

I tried a whip with no luck, and then my perfect 210 tame female Ptera with sick stats got nuked by a lightning Wyvern, so I gave up playing with dragons for a bit until I've got some decent bred pteras.

poo poo, now I feel partially responsible. If I hadn't said anything... :ohdear:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Neebs Aberration videos scare the poo poo out of me. Funny enough that isn't why I'd not really want to play it, it's more the underground part.

Can you ascend off a map without beating bosses?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

The Neebs Aberration videos scare the poo poo out of me. Funny enough that isn't why I'd not really want to play it, it's more the underground part.

Can you ascend off a map without beating bosses?

Yeah, I like sky...

Pretty sure we can upload+transfer if it's a private server, but if we have to kill a boss we can always cheese it with console commands if we don't want to start over. :shrug:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

poo poo, now I feel partially responsible. If I hadn't said anything... :ohdear:

Nah I got complacent.
Update though, I gave whipping another crack :smugdog: it picked a fert egg and gave me the instant dragon aggro, but the egg isn't in my inventory or my birds inventory.
Tried it another couple of times and same result. Tried transferring all my poo poo off my body, and killed myself to check if it was on my body glitched but nothing.
Starting to get on my nerves now.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

So it's possible that egg spoil timers are broken again. And eggs that should have spoiled in the nests are still there in theory, hence whipping. But as soon as they are enter inventory they spoil. I'm going to risk another couple of runs and have a look.

E. Yessssss.
Spoiled as soon as they were whipped.
Toxic buddy, can you log in and abuse your admin ability to go whip all the nests please :)

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 19, 2018

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
My friends and I played Extinction and pretty quickly got bored. As mentioned, they didn't really add much - and what they added was fairly generic. The biggest flaw is that once you get a flier, a huge chunk of the difficulty that's supposed to be present is just gone. That might seem silly, but they built the entire map around the ground-game - the second you're in the air you're basically just a spectator.

The most annoying thing we came across was that dinos would happily respawn in your face after very little time. We were taming some high-level Rex and Corrupted dinos were spawning around us every minute or so - visibly phasing in. This happens anywhere on the map, so you'd be fighting something then SURPRISE GIGA. Or worse, as sometimes happened.

I don't want to spoil the other parts of the map, but we were pretty unsatisfied and had a very "... that's it?" feeling after about a week.

As for Aberration: put me down as a huge fan of it. I know not having fliers seems like a huge detriment, but it really forces you to "use" the map and the dinos within it. It makes the world feel very lived-in and useful. There's a surprising amount of varied scenery on the different levels, so it's definitely got character. That, and the "Easiest" starting zone being some sort of trap to gently caress with players - purposefully or not - is still hilarious to me.

If the goon server flipped to Aberration, I'd be on there in a heartbeat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HexiDave posted:

My friends and I played Extinction and pretty quickly got bored. As mentioned, they didn't really add much - and what they added was fairly generic. The biggest flaw is that once you get a flier, a huge chunk of the difficulty that's supposed to be present is just gone. That might seem silly, but they built the entire map around the ground-game - the second you're in the air you're basically just a spectator.

The most annoying thing we came across was that dinos would happily respawn in your face after very little time. We were taming some high-level Rex and Corrupted dinos were spawning around us every minute or so - visibly phasing in. This happens anywhere on the map, so you'd be fighting something then SURPRISE GIGA. Or worse, as sometimes happened.

I don't want to spoil the other parts of the map, but we were pretty unsatisfied and had a very "... that's it?" feeling after about a week.

As for Aberration: put me down as a huge fan of it. I know not having fliers seems like a huge detriment, but it really forces you to "use" the map and the dinos within it. It makes the world feel very lived-in and useful. There's a surprising amount of varied scenery on the different levels, so it's definitely got character. That, and the "Easiest" starting zone being some sort of trap to gently caress with players - purposefully or not - is still hilarious to me.

If the goon server flipped to Aberration, I'd be on there in a heartbeat.

I agree with this guy's post

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I think Rag is my favorite map so far because it's so loving big. There's enough room that you don't have to run into giant bases and poo poo all the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like I still want to go to extinction, I don't have any real problems with Aberration. It's :10bux: right now, and it will probably be on sale again on the weekend.

Scortched Earth is the only one that doesn't interest me because worrying about heat ALL the time looks really annoying.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I just grabbed the season pass when it was on sale so I'm down for whatever but skyscrapers do sound fun...

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I never had issues with heat in Scorched Earth. As long as you settle by some water it's not bad at all.

E: If anyone is on Xbox my gamertag is CentzonTotochti or if you go on unofficial servers I'm on The Overseer's Extinction map and Yez's 18+ Rag map. I'd be willing to play PVP but I'll probably not migrate a character and start on the bottom for the hell of it.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 20, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed the season pass so I'll be ready for whatever we choose to do.

I only bought Ark like a few months ago but I have 230 hours in it :stare:

Oh great, putting the expansions in added some of their engrams, so I can make more desert gear.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 20, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Which map is the 'best' in goon opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
The skyscrapers in Extinction are pretty cool and navigating them while riding a higher level Enforcer (the craftable mount) is kind of neat. There are about 3-4 base-building spots among all the skyscrapers in the city - you could build in other spots, but you're gonna have a bad time. I built in a spot that was basically a little resort area: it had a small infinity pool, some palm trees, and a bit of open space. All told it was about 10 foundations wide. The other spots on the skyscrapers are similar. But, again, the problem is that you're completely untouchable by anything except other players. The only way down is with a bird or the Enforcer (which has a pretty great inventory space, actually); any sort of "harvesting run" becomes a chore really quickly.

I'm actually struggling to think of some overtly positive things about the map versus Ragnarok or Aberration. They both seem to do the same things, but better - and with more features. It really just feels like it was unfinished. There are quite a few spots that are just blank - especially in the Forest biome. There are a few chunks that are just flat, repeating textures, a few token herbivores, and that's it. Even the promotional shots from the trailer are off:

That titan and the forest wyverns flying around it are only there if you summon that titan, and that Velonasaur in the foreground isn't from that biome - it's from the desert.

I dunno, I could rant about it for a while because I was actually pretty excited for it and felt let down. Survival was easy (the city literally has police robots beating up dinos around you, and a giant wall to keep out anything dangerous), there wasn't much to explore, and it only really added one new thing - the Orbital Drops. They're the only source of "loot" on the map (outside of the Gacha's ability), and they're unbelievably dangerous because of the spawn-in problems.

I could probably post an essay on each map's qualities - good and bad - but, I'm pretty confident that Extinction either isn't complete or was rushed out the door to fulfill an obligation.