Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just boost the corpse despawn time, another setting you can find in the wiki. I don't think you can turn it off completely. You may be able to, but it might also clog the server after a while...

Definitely get a stack mod if you are boosting the gathering rates past x3. I think mine is on x6 and it would be murder without ultra stacks.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761535755

There is a tracking module way down the engram tree...somewhere around level 80ish? Unlock that or find/spawn a tracker + tracking module if you've got tames you want to find!

Nah that's fine. I'm not gonna mess with spoil rates since it would affect my rates of spoiled meat for narcotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You pretty much need gathering dinos for late game stuff. Or if you luck out and get ascendant axes and picks from a drop.

Wood is best with beavers or mammoths
stone is best with Doedicurus
special rocks like metal and crystal you want a anyklosaurus. They are also okay at gathering flint
Berries and seeds you can use pretty much any herbivore, but Iguanas are the best choice, but Parasaurs are everywhere, easy to tame and can gather more than enough to keep you alive and give you enough berries for taming

I looked into it and apparently the elk are best for thatch. As I'm always hurting for that, i'll have to get one.

Or you can just build a chainsaw and hit up some redwoods for wood and thatch. I can get 10k from one of the larger redwoods with the thing. I'm at the point where wood is so easy to get i will just drop it because i don't need it as much as I need the thatch.

Now my base is done, I've got 3 goals
- get a tek replicator
- get a dragon
- get a yutyrannus.

Honestly, that last one is going to be the most annoying because the snow biom suuuuuuucks. And It's not like i can fly in, tame one and carry it out, i'll have to ride it out. I guess I can tame a sacrificial birb.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

You pretty much need gathering dinos for late game stuff. Or if you luck out and get ascendant axes and picks from a drop.

Wood is best with beavers or mammoths
stone is best with Doedicurus
special rocks like metal and crystal you want a anyklosaurus. They are also okay at gathering flint
Berries and seeds you can use pretty much any herbivore, but Iguanas are the best choice, but Parasaurs are everywhere, easy to tame and can gather more than enough to keep you alive and give you enough berries for taming

I looked into it and apparently the elk are best for thatch. As I'm always hurting for that, i'll have to get one.

Or you can just build a chainsaw and hit up some redwoods for wood and thatch. I can get 10k from one of the larger redwoods with the thing. I'm at the point where wood is so easy to get i will just drop it because i don't need it as much as I need the thatch.

Now my base is done, I've got 3 goals
- get a tek replicator
- get a dragon
- get a yutyrannus.

Honestly, that last one is going to be the most annoying because the snow biom suuuuuuucks. And It's not like i can fly in, tame one and carry it out, i'll have to ride it out. I guess I can tame a sacrificial birb.

If you have a server where all of this is going on I can join you for the extra help. I scratch your back you scratch mine sort of thing. And yeah I've read the wiki and the Anky is pretty much the best all around dino in th game for gathering. Problem would be metal gathering since that's mostly mountains in the north and my bases tend to be in the south so I'd need a flock of Argy's to carry back the metal and the Anky back home. Yuty taming is gonna suck balls since he only likes the max level kibble and you'd need his eggs to make it or a lucky golden egg. Actually yeah that was my plan, to farm golden eggs for the taming. Getting him out will be rear end though unless you have a Quetzal.

Edit: NVM about the Qutzal. Holy poo poo man that's gonna be rough.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 4, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, part of the quest for the Yutyrannus is getting kibble, and that needs honey and that means figuring out how to get bees.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I tamed my first yuty the other day. I’m on Valguero, where they spawn in the tundra biome (much more hospitable than the snow biome) and there are sheep everywhere for mutton. only difficulty is keeping them safe from wolves and Daeodon for the hour or so they need to sleep.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that's the biggest problem I had with the colder bioms, wolves everywhere.

Ugh i need honey but its 5 per collection, and its a paint to do it.

Also how do i get element? the engram is only available on Extinction.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's the biggest problem I had with the colder bioms, wolves everywhere.

Ugh i need honey but its 5 per collection, and its a paint to do it.

Also how do i get element? the engram is only available on Extinction.

Where are you? My intention is to basically do the story of the game(The Island, Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction) and maybe dick around the dlc maps a bit later.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

So anyone else with a server with nitrado having the issue where events don't work?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, part of the quest for the Yutyrannus is getting kibble, and that needs honey and that means figuring out how to get bees.

If you are running SS then there is a domesticated bee hive. Costs 50 honey, 250 rare flowers and some fiber and thatch.
You fill it with rare flowers and you can harvest your honey from your base.

As for the eggs for Extraordinary kibble, you can use eggs from Wyvern or deinonychus (feathery raptor boy)

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Unless your server disallows them, perhaps you could fly in, tame a yuty, cryopod it, then fly out?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think we have tek activated on the pve server. I went to see how much more stuff I needed at the green tower and there was no option.

And yea I saw the s+ hive, which is why I'm trying to get a bear. They're hard, as their health is lower than their torpor.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Since this is a dead thread and all. Is this game worth playing if I am just going to make a non dedicated server to waste time with friends?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say that's arguably the only way the game is worth playing. Solo is not engaging enough imo and PvP is a total fuckin shitshow that should be avoided at all costs. PvE with friends is pretty fun though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i have tons of fun playing with my wife and our friend, we're on valguero and we're gonna try the boss arena soon. once we beat it we're going to move on to ragnarok. ark is fun af when you can share the load.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
i would look into hosting a dedicated server on your computer over going for the non-dedicated route. i don't know why they bother to keep non-dedicated as an option because it's worse in every way compared to running dedicated. it's somehow more resource intensive, less stable, has a 100% reproducible crash on the host entering caves (making every island unbeatable without cheating), and really rough restrictions on non-host players without a lot of ini fiddling. ive done 200 hours of hosting non-dedicated and about 150 after switching to dedicated and im just totally blown away at how much of a worse experience it is.

pve with 1-3 friends and a willingness to bend the server settings to your will is absolutely the way to play ark

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We have a cool chill server for goons. Check out the private server subform for the info.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say that's arguably the only way the game is worth playing. Solo is not engaging enough imo and PvP is a total fuckin shitshow that should be avoided at all costs. PvE with friends is pretty fun though.
PvP was only worthwhile back in 2015. Devs really hosed this game (and its sequel)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
You can come play on the chill server. It's mostly PVE with everybody taming and building their own forts, but we just did a PVP Free For All weekend where everyone killed each other and blew everything up over a weekend and then I rolled the server back so no one lost anything. We'll probably do that again, maybe once or twice a month since everyone had fun!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916694

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can come play on the chill server. It's mostly PVE with everybody taming and building their own forts, but we just did a PVP Free For All weekend where everyone killed each other and blew everything up over a weekend and then I rolled the server back so no one lost anything. We'll probably do that again, maybe once or twice a month since everyone had fun!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916694

See now that's the poo poo I wanna do with the setup I have, but I don't even know how to setup the server(bought a used work station with an i7-6700 for this). If anyone of you can ELI5 how to get my thing up and running, I'd be much obliged.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

something i've really wanted to do in this game is go from the start with a small group and eventually beat all the in-game bosses together and poo poo, preferably on the center since it's the only map i ever really liked with all its weird secrets and such

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just wanted to share this with everyone, :laffo:

https://twitter.com/StixStyle/status/1258958001714745358

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Well that's a big loving YIKES from me since I use an OLED TV for ARK on my PC. As an aside, I finished setting up my servers and can cluster about 3 or 4 so for those interested PM me for the info...Please bring Bio Toxin...LOTS or Bio Toxin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I finally finished my water pen on valguero. There’s a lagoon on the south shore of the beach area that’s perfect, you can fence it off with a behemoth gate and then build stone jetties to seal it up using pillars and walls. It took some fiddly placement to get the gate down where I needed it but the result is I can go collect water tames now and I have a safe place to store them.

PS the underground ocean is very cool and good but also nerve wracking.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I finally finished my water pen on valguero. There’s a lagoon on the south shore of the beach area that’s perfect, you can fence it off with a behemoth gate and then build stone jetties to seal it up using pillars and walls. It took some fiddly placement to get the gate down where I needed it but the result is I can go collect water tames now and I have a safe place to store them.

PS the underground ocean is very cool and good but also nerve wracking.

Nice. Was gonna try and tame a dolphin, but it accidentally beached itself. Was hugely bummed since I actually had the fish meat for it and needed something to farm Bio Toxin.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

Nice. Was gonna try and tame a dolphin, but it accidentally beached itself. Was hugely bummed since I actually had the fish meat for it and needed something to farm Bio Toxin.

I’m sad they never really fixed dolphins and mantas because they are fun to ride especially the mantas. They don’t die nearly as much as they used to but they still do way too often.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

doomrider7 posted:

i grabbed a basil from the underwater ocean for that. the way we tame down there is we have a Death Squad of ten turtles, and they basically just tank whatever comes at us. they're surprisingly good in combat, too. the basil had a giant swarm of mantas around it, so i went in to suicide-feed it. the mantas basically instagibbed me, but my friend took control of the Death Squad and killed all the mantas, and by the time i got back the basil was just chilling by its lonesome. with yellow kibble it doesn't take too long to tame.

we have a boat kitted out for deep water exploration, with beds, a preserving bin to store kibble, platforms to shoot from, storage bins with everything we might need, etc. i feel a bit like earnest hemingway sitting on the back of a raft and shooting sharks with a crossbow. that's a hunter s thompson thing too, i guess. i'd have to get loaded on beer and narcoberries to get the real thompson experience.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i grabbed a basil from the underwater ocean for that. the way we tame down there is we have a Death Squad of ten turtles, and they basically just tank whatever comes at us. they're surprisingly good in combat, too. the basil had a giant swarm of mantas around it, so i went in to suicide-feed it. the mantas basically instagibbed me, but my friend took control of the Death Squad and killed all the mantas, and by the time i got back the basil was just chilling by its lonesome. with yellow kibble it doesn't take too long to tame.

we have a boat kitted out for deep water exploration, with beds, a preserving bin to store kibble, platforms to shoot from, storage bins with everything we might need, etc. i feel a bit like earnest hemingway sitting on the back of a raft and shooting sharks with a crossbow. that's a hunter s thompson thing too, i guess. i'd have to get loaded on beer and narcoberries to get the real thompson experience.

Yeah I'm starting up a little farm for kibble. Just need the eggs now. Looking to tame one of those rear end in a top hat seagulls since they can guarantee drops of prime which will help a LOT for kibble production and regular taming until aids can sort things out. It's eggs that's loving me over so badly right now since most of the creatures that lay the eggs I need can only be tamed by the very eggs I'm trying to gather from them so it's a catch 22. Moschops is the exception, but that's a tricky as hell tame since it asks for such hard to gather items a lot.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I'm starting up a little farm for kibble. Just need the eggs now. Looking to tame one of those rear end in a top hat seagulls since they can guarantee drops of prime which will help a LOT for kibble production and regular taming until aids can sort things out. It's eggs that's loving me over so badly right now since most of the creatures that lay the eggs I need can only be tamed by the very eggs I'm trying to gather from them so it's a catch 22. Moschops is the exception, but that's a tricky as hell tame since it asks for such hard to gather items a lot.

if you're on valguero, good news! mutton is EVERYWHERE. honey is fairly common too, so you can make sweet vegetable cakes to tame and breed ovis.

if you're not on valguero, my suggestion is:
1) turtles are trivially easy to tame with berries and produce the eggs for regular kibble. this is used to tame a wide variety of extremely useful dinos, like anklyos, baryonyx, doedicurus, pteranodon, and sabertooths.
2) once you have a variety of the above you can get lots and lots of stone and metal and hide, this should solve your resource pinch for a while. when you're ready to move up to superior kibble, i think the best source of eggs is moschops (as you notice), tapejara (you can bola them out of the sky and tame them with meat) and possibly argentavis (these take a long time to tame with meat, but they're fairly easy to trap).
3) once you have the argie things REALLY open up. for one thing, it can abduct sheep and carry them off for either taming or slaughtering at leisure. it also produces eggs for superior kibble. with mutton, you can start taming rexes, which then give you all the big ol' eggs you need.
4) extraordinary kibble are a gigantic pain in the rear end on the Island. it's basically yutys or bust, and you can tame them with mutton, but they're a very advanced tame. on valguero, you can use deinonychus eggs, which are completely trivial to collect with any flyer and basically make the entire game easy mode (since extraordinary kibble replaces any lesser kind of kibble). on ragnarok and scorched earth and other maps with wyverns, you can steal a wyvern egg if you're fast enough with a pteranodon, and then either hatch it (if you have the milk) or use it to make extraordinary kibbles.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if you're on valguero, good news! mutton is EVERYWHERE. honey is fairly common too, so you can make sweet vegetable cakes to tame and breed ovis.

if you're not on valguero, my suggestion is:
1) turtles are trivially easy to tame with berries and produce the eggs for regular kibble. this is used to tame a wide variety of extremely useful dinos, like anklyos, baryonyx, doedicurus, pteranodon, and sabertooths.
2) once you have a variety of the above you can get lots and lots of stone and metal and hide, this should solve your resource pinch for a while. when you're ready to move up to superior kibble, i think the best source of eggs is moschops (as you notice), tapejara (you can bola them out of the sky and tame them with meat) and possibly argentavis (these take a long time to tame with meat, but they're fairly easy to trap).
3) once you have the argie things REALLY open up. for one thing, it can abduct sheep and carry them off for either taming or slaughtering at leisure. it also produces eggs for superior kibble. with mutton, you can start taming rexes, which then give you all the big ol' eggs you need.
4) extraordinary kibble are a gigantic pain in the rear end on the Island. it's basically yutys or bust, and you can tame them with mutton, but they're a very advanced tame. on valguero, you can use deinonychus eggs, which are completely trivial to collect with any flyer and basically make the entire game easy mode (since extraordinary kibble replaces any lesser kind of kibble). on ragnarok and scorched earth and other maps with wyverns, you can steal a wyvern egg if you're fast enough with a pteranodon, and then either hatch it (if you have the milk) or use it to make extraordinary kibbles.

Yeah it's just me right now and I did some...tweaking on my personal server that made taming be twice as fast...except I also increased max wild to 300 so that's been an issue. Lots of amazing tames, but JESUS are they resource hungry. Did this to cut down a good bit on breeding needs since I want to "play the story" and don't have time to spend 600hrs getting stuff to fight the Alpha bosses. But yeah, that post helps out a lot man thanks. I also upped the egg laying times as well as breeding and and aging so dinos don't ages to grow up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Having an issue where my friend can't join my server. I use ARK Server Manager and have been using and joining it for a week now, but my friend can't join it. He can find it just fine, but trying to join fails and apparently times out. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

doomrider7 posted:

Having an issue where my friend can't join my server. I use ARK Server Manager and have been using and joining it for a week now, but my friend can't join it. He can find it just fine, but trying to join fails and apparently times out. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

If it's :steam:, make sure they have downloaded the appropriate maps and subscribed to and downloaded any mods that the server is running.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Got the artifact of The Hunter. Good LORD it was rough. Not THAT bad since Julia my Anky is an absolute TANK with 10k HP and 500% damage, but still cut it WAAAAAAY too close when I got greedy and tried to go for an underwater chest and ran afoul of two HUGE Sarco. I got killed in the combat and had to make my way back there to find both Sarco dead and her just standing there with only 3k hp left. Trip back was a tedious endeavor due to weight, but we got back to base camp.

gently caress it, I'm making pokeballs to facilitate travel, ditto for their bank/charging station. Still looking for people to. Is there a place to recruit people on here?

Edit: Tamed a Daedon and HOLY poo poo was it a nightmare to turn off its passive healing thing and getting her fed back to max. Went through stacks of cooked meat to get her back into max. Either way, she'll do nicely as replacement until I can consistently farm honey for Veggie Cakes to heal my dinos.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 1, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Since last post I tamed a Raptor(current level 345 or so male) and just now tamed a Yuty(level 259 female) and am making progress to towards a premium kibble farm. Also, that Kraken's Better Dino's mod from some pages ago was legit amazing.

Edit: The male Yuty tames was a loving disaster. Got him, but the taming efficiency was garbage since he got mauled by some Direwolves that attacked as I was working on the pen where he was unconscious. Everything almost went to poo poo when I realized I didn't have any prime meat on hand so I took my Spino wandering to kill stuff for Prime and lucked out when I killed an Ovis by chance. Got well over 200 cuts which I'll use to tame more Yuty for the Kibble Farm. Also as an aside, I said goodbye to my two Bronto's Gertie and Dinky when I retired them to Herbivore Island.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/gwvjj6/enjoying_retirement_on_herbivore_island/

I wound up with a fertilized egg from them that's free to a good home for those interested.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 5, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm pretty proud of my little aesthetic addition to the factory floor.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Any goon servers that my tribe can access from an Xbox? We're too broke to run our own at this point and honestly don't have that kind of time. Looking for something that's difficult but a little boosted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Scathach posted:

Any goon servers that my tribe can access from an Xbox? We're too broke to run our own at this point and honestly don't have that kind of time. Looking for something that's difficult but a little boosted.

Sucks man. I'd invite you to my server, but I'm PC on Steam.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Ark is free to play from the epic launcher right now. You can get the main game, ragnarok, centre, valguero and the new crystal Isles maps for whatever limited time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Salisbury Snape posted:

Ark is free to play from the epic launcher right now. You can get the main game, ragnarok, centre, valguero and the new crystal Isles maps for whatever limited time.

Probably a good idea to grab this even if you already have it because of the way they compartmentalize via storefronts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thought I'd give it a go with friends, since it's free and all but Epic store once again thwarts my plans. I stupidly went and "bought" the free DLC's as well, but since they are another +100 GB on top of a the 110 GB main game, my games SSD can't handle it any more. I can't install the DLC, I can't play the game. And from what I gathered no way to disable the DLC either. Maybe it lets me skip the DLC if I re-install.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Thought I'd give it a go with friends, since it's free and all but Epic store once again thwarts my plans. I stupidly went and "bought" the free DLC's as well, but since they are another +100 GB on top of a the 110 GB main game, my games SSD can't handle it any more. I can't install the DLC, I can't play the game. And from what I gathered no way to disable the DLC either. Maybe it lets me skip the DLC if I re-install.

Yeeeeah. That's my biggest gripe about Ark: hard drive space.

Part of the reason I splurged on a 2TB drive for my new machine was to allow for extra bloated games.