Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My friends and I just finished the back-and-forth with our server provider and we found the same thing. Seems that server appearance in the in-game server browser is actually random, there are far too many public servers to index, only some of them make it and most don't and it's random.

I am now able to reliably use my private server by the desktop shortcut IP address method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, reiterating: Create a shortcut to launch into your server, add the server via domain:port or IP:port to Steam's server list, or basically any way you can think of OTHER than using the in-game server interface.

If you want to populate your servers with pubbies, advertise the server on the mods you are running.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Finally took a try at the gamma bosses in Valguero. We got them, lost 8 rexes, but learned a lot.
1) don’t Leeroy Jenkins in there. Lure out the dragon first.
2) count your tames carefully so you don’t accidentally leave your yuty behind
3) make sure you keep track of who got the KBs so if that Dino dies you don’t lose the element you earned

Also, I have some thoughts on this after doing Alpha Monkey, Broodmother, and Alpha Valguero over the last week.

1) Saddles make or break boss attempts. Broodmother butchered my rexes with crappy saddles, causing a fail cascade as rexes with progressively better saddles had to take more damage and eventually die, reducing the DPS and making the remaining rexes take even more damage. For Valguero, I went in with way better saddles, and even though only 7 or 8 of my rexes actually made it in, the fight was a cakewalk. Which leads me to...
2) Make sure you have your tames crushed around the beacon. It's real fuckin awkward to get in, whistle attack, and realize you're half of your rexes short. Aside from saddles, the reason I was successful was...
3) Daeodons are your friend. Daeodons with a shitload of basic kibble because Dodos are cheap are your best friend. Your goal isn't to outheal the damage, but rather add enough EHP so that you don't start losing tames and forcing the rest of your tames to do more work.
4) Imprinting and mate boosting are a must. You get so much damage reduction out of this it isn't even funny, and less damage means fewer dead tames which means more DPS for longer.

It didn't hurt that my rexes have been mutated to hell and back. But like I said, not preparing materially and not having proper support (for me this is 2x Daeodon mate boosted and a Yuty) will get your tames killed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Who was it that was asking for advice on base building on The Island? Since my server is back up I can share my location and setup now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
You can also checkbox the option to automatically favorite joined servers, and then it should appear on your favorites list after you join via direct link.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Warmachine posted:

Also, I have some thoughts on this after doing Alpha Monkey, Broodmother, and Alpha Valguero over the last week.

1) Saddles make or break boss attempts. Broodmother butchered my rexes with crappy saddles, causing a fail cascade as rexes with progressively better saddles had to take more damage and eventually die, reducing the DPS and making the remaining rexes take even more damage. For Valguero, I went in with way better saddles, and even though only 7 or 8 of my rexes actually made it in, the fight was a cakewalk. Which leads me to...
2) Make sure you have your tames crushed around the beacon. It's real fuckin awkward to get in, whistle attack, and realize you're half of your rexes short. Aside from saddles, the reason I was successful was...
3) Daeodons are your friend. Daeodons with a shitload of basic kibble because Dodos are cheap are your best friend. Your goal isn't to outheal the damage, but rather add enough EHP so that you don't start losing tames and forcing the rest of your tames to do more work.
4) Imprinting and mate boosting are a must. You get so much damage reduction out of this it isn't even funny, and less damage means fewer dead tames which means more DPS for longer.

It didn't hurt that my rexes have been mutated to hell and back. But like I said, not preparing materially and not having proper support (for me this is 2x Daeodon mate boosted and a Yuty) will get your tames killed.

If you’re on vulgaro you should get some of those feathered raptors that you have to steal their eggs to raise. Their bleed attacks eats up the broodmother since it does damage based on the targets health pool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bucnasti posted:

If you’re on vulgaro you should get some of those feathered raptors that you have to steal their eggs to raise. Their bleed attacks eats up the broodmother since it does damage based on the targets health pool.

:popeye:

Now I want to try this with a lot of them... :zerg:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bucnasti posted:

Alpha Brood is easy as poo poo with like 4 guys. Two dudes with mate boosted megatheriums, one with a yuty, and another dude with a megatherium and maybe a doed if you wanna play it safe. High quality saddles are super helpful, but not 110% needed if you breed up some decent HP and melee dinos.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I'm setting up a breeding program for the little assholes right now, actually. Cheep cheep.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Failed to catch a level 277 tapejara with some awesome colors when he got loose from the Bola before I could tranq him and I lost track of him before he landed again. I did manage to catch two awesome colored pteranodon levels 320 and 244 respectively and a level 320 Rex that I named Brunhilda.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:popeye:

Now I want to try this with a lot of them... :zerg:

I used 7 or 8 of them to kill the broodmother guarding the spider cave on Valgaro, it was overkill, they devoured her in like 30 seconds.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bucnasti posted:

I used 7 or 8 of them to kill the broodmother guarding the spider cave on Valgaro, it was overkill, they devoured her in like 30 seconds.

Goddamn! I'm trying to think right now on what to do to fight the bosses on The Island, but that's crazy man. Might travel over there on my Cluster to steal some eggs to raise. Aside that, what are the recommended stats and saddles for my tames to have for me to take on the bosses and suffer zero losses to them?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

doomrider7 posted:

Goddamn! I'm trying to think right now on what to do to fight the bosses on The Island, but that's crazy man. Might travel over there on my Cluster to steal some eggs to raise. Aside that, what are the recommended stats and saddles for my tames to have for me to take on the bosses and suffer zero losses to them?

Easiest way to kill the broodmother is use megatheriums. They don't have to be insane breed lines, first generation imprinted with a few levels pumped into health is more than enough.
They get a damage bonus vs bugs so are the best option.
The monkey is a bit tougher. But rexes are usually top choice. Pump levels into hp and melee. If you are using SS or S+ you can use the euthanasia gun from the back of any rideable Dino to kill baby dinos or old breed lines to power level your dinos. Baby gigas are king for this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

Easiest way to kill the broodmother is use megatheriums. They don't have to be insane breed lines, first generation imprinted with a few levels pumped into health is more than enough.
They get a damage bonus vs bugs so are the best option.
The monkey is a bit tougher. But rexes are usually top choice. Pump levels into hp and melee. If you are using SS or S+ you can use the euthanasia gun from the back of any rideable Dino to kill baby dinos or old breed lines to power level your dinos. Baby gigas are king for this.

I love all of my dinos too much to ever do that to any of them. As an aside, I've set my server so that max levels are stupidly loving high so most of this is kind of irrelevant since I can just power grind it or even tame level 300 tames as is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Killing your own dinos gives you exp? Never knew that, because I'm not a monster

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

XP appears to be an extremely interesting concept in this game, like you can get from level 70 to 80 by crafting large crop plots for like 90 minutes (ignoring the material gather time)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I knew about using the grinder to get a steady trickle, but I had no idea the euth gun could be exploited like that. You don't even have to unclaim?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Here's the stuff about my base's setup along with a picture of a level 619 Alpha Mosasaurus with more health than even the Alpha Bosses.

ARK: Survival Evolved
https://imgur.com/a/bfIHpDX

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Here's the stuff about my base's setup along with a picture of a level 619 Alpha Mosasaurus with more health than even the Alpha Bosses.

ARK: Survival Evolved
https://imgur.com/a/bfIHpDX

Fun story: I killed one of those once using a combination of shotgun blasts (250k damage before I ran out of shells), chainsaw (250k damage before it un-stuck itself from the wall I was grappled to), and basilosaurus bites (100k--an obnoxious number of clicks).

The thing has the turning radius of a submarine, which you can hilariously exploit in that cave.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Fun story: I killed one of those once using a combination of shotgun blasts (250k damage before I ran out of shells), chainsaw (250k damage before it un-stuck itself from the wall I was grappled to), and basilosaurus bites (100k--an obnoxious number of clicks).

The thing has the turning radius of a submarine, which you can hilariously exploit in that cave.

Yeah I had been there before, but missed the artifact and came in again while deep sea loot box hunting. Ran out of food supplies both time since it's just me and sarco.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, I've not played in about 2 years.

Is there somewhere I can go to see what's improved in that time?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

charity rereg posted:

XP appears to be an extremely interesting concept in this game

For official multiplayer servers, the amount of XP you need to gain to reach the next level, for levels 145 and up, is:

145: 15000000
146: 16000000
147: 17000000
148: 18000000
149: 19000000
150: 20000000
151: 21000000
152: 32
153: 23000000
154: 24000000
155: 25000000

That's not a typo. To reach level 152 you need to gain thirty two experience points. The other levels want 1 million more than the last.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That seems like a system designed by someone that never actually played the game

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

charity rereg posted:

the ONLY way i can connect to my server ever since getting the steam version is by making a desktop shortcut with steam://connect/69.420.69.420:6969 - does that sound normal for anyone else?

if I connect via console i get bounced, if I connect via steam's View > Servers it fails or bounces me. if i connect via this desktop shortcut now it works...

as of this morning when I still had the EGS version installed it worked fine via in game favorites & console join. :psyduck:

I have to go to view/server/favorite/right click/join. Nothing else works. Direct from server view or direct from battleclinic give me some bs message about mis-matched mods. My server cluster used to show up on the list, then stopped one day. Can't get it through search, friends, survivor, last played, nothing. At least this works, (even reliably!) so it's maybe someone else might try this if they have no other options.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That seems like a system designed by someone that never actually played the game

That seems pretty standard. When I think of the developers at my own non-gaming company, they don't have time to actually use the UIs they create. That's why I (the technical writer) often have words to say about things because I'm stuck writing an incredibly stupid instruction set because the UI was designed badly.

Twistershift posted:

I have to go to view/server/favorite/right click/join. Nothing else works. Direct from server view or direct from battleclinic give me some bs message about mis-matched mods. My server cluster used to show up on the list, then stopped one day. Can't get it through search, friends, survivor, last played, nothing. At least this works, (even reliably!) so it's maybe someone else might try this if they have no other options.

If the server uses a domain name and DHCP instead of a static IP address, the reason is Steam doesn't actually check the DNS records periodically to make sure the IP it is trying to reach is correct. This is an example of the above where I'd pitch a fit to the CIO because some dumbass didn't think of this really simple UI issue that will break user experiences.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finally got my Tapejara. Now I just need friends. :gbsmith:

Edit: I might have accidentally made the Swamp Cave impossible since there are level 500 ants and dragonflies in there now and I don't even wanna think of everything else in there.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 9, 2020

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Is anyone out there still playing on official? I'd love to do an organized SA tribe, I regret missing the goonrush in this game.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Twistershift posted:

Update: Welp. Game lagged out a bunch, so I exited out, and now this method does not work anymore, so playing with my friends is totally hosed. God drat this shitfest game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Is anyone out there still playing on official? I'd love to do an organized SA tribe, I regret missing the goonrush in this game.

if i ever went back to official it'd have to be small tribe. regular official is hot trash.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Twistershift posted:

Update: Welp. Game lagged out a bunch, so I exited out, and now this method does not work anymore, so playing with my friends is totally hosed. God drat this shitfest game.

I work from 2pm EST to 10pm EST, but after that I should be online with my server running. You and your friends are more than welcome to swing by.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Would. Friends and I are playing through our first time on a pve private server right now to learn more game mechanics but I tried the pvp a little bit before and I liked it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if i ever went back to official it'd have to be small tribe. regular official is hot trash.

That's a shame. I think it'd be fun to do all the content in PvE with a big group, if nothing else.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RadioPassive posted:

Would. Friends and I are playing through our first time on a pve private server right now to learn more game mechanics but I tried the pvp a little bit before and I liked it.

"pvp" in this game consists of virtually never actually fighting anyone and instead just coming back to all your poo poo destroyed and looted and all your dinos dead after an alpha tribe sends scouts into your server for a bit to clock your schedule and launches a mass invasion when your tribe is usually the least active.

like it's real, real bad.

That's a shame. I think it'd be fun to do all the content in PvE with a big group, if nothing else.

i do agree with this, it's something i've actually wanted to do myself and would be down for playing on official pve servers.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I want Smalltribes with permadeath

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

"pvp" in this game consists of virtually never actually fighting anyone and instead just coming back to all your poo poo destroyed and looted and all your dinos dead after an alpha tribe sends scouts into your server for a bit to clock your schedule and launches a mass invasion when your tribe is usually the least active.

i do agree with this, it's something i've actually wanted to do myself and would be down for playing on official pve servers.

Private servers with purge nights were my favorite for PvP so long as you can dedicate to showing up for those few hours. You'd actually get to fight people and not just base defenses. I'm not sure if that's still a thing. PvP on official servers was generally pretty lame though. When they first launched the new server clusters when the game officially launched there was some good PvP for a few days before it devolved back into people avoiding actual PvP and back to offline raiding.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Is there an efficient way to level up dinos in the early game? Been playing a private game with friends and it feels super tedious to level dinos up to a point where they're useful. Also is it better to level a dino up from level one or just capture a high level one?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AtillatheBum posted:

Is there an efficient way to level up dinos in the early game? Been playing a private game with friends and it feels super tedious to level dinos up to a point where they're useful. Also is it better to level a dino up from level one or just capture a high level one?

dinos can only level up 73 times from their wild level, meaning a dino you catch at level 1 can get no higher than level 74. so it is ALWAYS preferable to try and catch dinos that are near the maximum allowable level (120 or 150; at the very least, go for 100 imo). the only reason you should consider taming low-level ones is if you manage to trick a low-level good dino into a situation where you can easily tame it, i.e. trapping a level 10 t-rex in a valley or some poo poo.

Loiku posted:

Private servers with purge nights were my favorite for PvP so long as you can dedicate to showing up for those few hours. You'd actually get to fight people and not just base defenses. I'm not sure if that's still a thing. PvP on official servers was generally pretty lame though. When they first launched the new server clusters when the game officially launched there was some good PvP for a few days before it devolved back into people avoiding actual PvP and back to offline raiding.

yeah there are ways to make pvp not suck poo poo through a straw, but if you're playing on official servers it's just total garbage.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

AtillatheBum posted:

If you have a couple people gather up a huge batch of narcoberries and rotten meat and everyone take some and throw it in few couple mortars and queue a few thousand narcotics while everyone sits on dinos. Your mount won't get any from the narcotics you personally are crafting but the tribe shared xp from the other players is shared with the dino when you sit on it.
Stick a low level Lystro near where you leave your dinos and pet it whenever you walk past, it gives a 30ish% passive xp boost to tames.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I don't see TONS of high level spawning Dinos and i'm not sure early on you will either or be able to capture them, so really just go for a couple of key ones at ANY level first to open the game up?

The first triceratops at any level is going to be so much better than running around naked for both combat & gathering. And they almost always die. Dont let the perfect be the enemy of the good if you're new and naked playing official progression IMO

Ive noticed on PvE with like 3x XP skipping low level tames except for the super useful ones or being more picky is worth it, since you can pretty easily get to the xbow/tranq arrows stage in like an hour or 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

No, I know. I played Arma mods and DayZ standalone and lots of other bullshit like it. I like Ark pvp.