Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

queeb posted:

Me and stanley having a camp fire

ha, thought you made a slenderman to creep on people. nice dino though. game looks awesome from the 10 minutes I got to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I did, I cant figure out how to go into third person though

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
right alt or k I think.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hello. m,y character model is completely black, unlit, in my inventory and also the select screen. whlat.

turn post processing up 1 level. Also if your map gets blotched out I've heard that can be a world tile buffers set too low issue.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So now that it's a day later after release and some patches have apparently been applied......is the game still running like crap? I have a 970 for referral purposes.

Best to wait some time to see how things pan out I suppose.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

minchar posted:

turn post processing up 1 level. Also if your map gets blotched out I've heard that can be a world tile buffers set too low issue.

if i up my pp the game is unplayable. i guess i just have to live with it.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Is there going to be a private game thread for this game, or steam group?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've managed to play this game once, and only in Single player...Think I'll just wait until they optimize this a bit until I try again.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arkgoons

Threw that together quickly, feel free to join. I'll pretty it up later.

Edit: apparently a performance patch just went out?

edit2: yeah, definitely seeing some performance gains, mad props to these devs.

queeb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 4, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
why don't they release patch notes? wtf

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

But they did:

Patch Notes (Latest v1.602)
v1.602: Blackscreen issue should be fixed! Added more official servers. Fixed a few potential chat crashes.
Working on ShaderModel 4 support and singleplayer performance reloading....

v1.601: Full servers will still appear in server-list now

v1.60: Listing/Refreshing of servers fixed

v1.557:
* Chatbox can no longer be opened in singleplayer games.

* Rebuilt the game content with 2K textures rather than 4K for most. This may help prevent disk and memory thrashing that could have adversely affected performance on some machines.

v1.556:
* Reverted loading screen to static image, might eliminate "black screen of death" when loading into singleplayer mode.

* Made a backend change that may have fixed the backend server issues. We have to update ALL of the servers to fully fix it, but we are gradually rolling that out over this night.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
^ welp

THE PENETRATOR posted:

To give them their dues, they post them on the steam community hub, just not as a release post via Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038664474477/

quote:

v1.602: Blackscreen issue should be fixed! Added more official servers. Fixed a few potential chat crashes.

v1.557:

* Rebuilt the game content with 2K textures rather than 4K for most. This may help prevent disk and memory thrashing that could have adversely affected performance on some machines.

v1.556:
* Reverted loading screen to static image, might eliminate "black screen of death" when loading into singleplayer mode.

* Made a backend change that may have fixed the backend server issues. We have to update ALL of the servers to fully fix it, but we are gradually rolling that out over this night.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Someone on reddit posted 2 pastebins, allegedly improving performance on old rigs
http://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/38g04t/optimized_config_for_midend_cards_boots_fps/

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Strotski posted:

But they did:

Patch Notes (Latest v1.602)

v1.557:

v1.556:

interesting... except the latest patch is 1607

i think this is all it did:

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Dev Plan For Today (Wednesday June 3)
- Massive perf jump from fixing singleplayer/multiplayer loading bug

- DirectX 10 Shader Model 4 support (eliminate SM4 cooker error)

- Determine why some people don't get content downloaded -- 32-bit OS?

- Online more servers (including EU and Asia and Oceania as well as more NA servers)

- Feature and Content Patch v1.70 -- goodies goodies goodies (full list incoming)

- Mod Tools and first example mod map (wave-based survival): "Raptor Rapture"

:woop:

Upcoming Patch:

v1.70:
* Fixed a Localization crash
* AZERTY French keyboards can now rebind keys properly
* Initial DirectX10 Shader Model 4 support -- ubersky won't yet render :-P
* Player counts on the server browser are now correct and accurate
* Getting "Winded" in water no longer prevents you from swimming upwards completely -- you now just swim upwards more slowly, and so are less likely to absolutely drown.
* Pause Menu now lists the Server name
* Server browser now has a list of "Survivor's Servers", upon whihc you have a survivor, Favorite Servers, and Friend's Servers
* Fixed an issue where NPC's would not attack often at lower-FPS times on servers
* Broadcast Server messages now force the chat to appear (typically used to notify of server maintance)
* Bonus Item Skins (Stomped Glasses, Cowboy Hat, Noble Saddle) are permanent, locked to your character, and given again after respawn (dropping them simply removes them if you don't want them -- if you want to keep them, apply them to an item).
* Fixed some graphical artifacts with the water, waterline, and underwater particles
* Slingshot torpidity multiplier reduced slightly
* Inventory Key can now be rebound
* Arrow keys now turn rather than strafe, and can be rebound

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Is the bird in the house, or is the house a bird?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there a trick to joining full servers? Every official server has been 70/70 or 0/70 no matter how many times I refresh. Any attempt to join puts me in a perpetual loading screen that requires a force quit.

edit: How do you queue up?

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 4, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Having experimented with and been largely disappointed by virtually every combat option available to people sub level 25, I really cannot stress enough the efficacy of weaponized raptors. Tame those feathered fucks and they will take care of you; even more so when you saddle them up.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

The Crooked Warden posted:

Having experimented with and been largely disappointed by virtually every combat option available to people sub level 25, I really cannot stress enough the efficacy of weaponized raptors. Tame those feathered fucks and they will take care of you; even more so when you saddle them up.

Do you mean utah raptors? Or the little dilos? Cause those utah must take hours to tame

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

This thing is so fast.

Btw the two back paths out of the base are now walled. If you want to bring a dinosaur in either have it jump off a cliff or use the front route.

Monowhatever posted:

Do you mean utah raptors? Or the little dilos? Cause those utah must take hours to tame

Nah took me about 35 meat and ~10 narcotics.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

What the gently caress. I leave for 5 hours and you all go and mount up raptors?
Looks like i've got some catching upto do, not to mention buffing those walls.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Some for the pile

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
I killed a T-Rex and he turned out to be lugging around a recipe for some berry-based chili. To honor him I used the meat from his corpse to craft this fine dish

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
How long does it take for the compost box to work? It's been full of dinosaur poop for several hours. I also can't get my plant plot to grow more than a seedling, but I think that's because I need proper fertilizer..

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
i'm looking forward to this game having a playable framerate, as it is I'm near vomiting from the stuttering now.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

We did try to tame one of those big crocodile things, and that was taking ages. The meat was spoiling faster than the taming bar was ticking up, so you really need the prime meat for the big guys.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Bows seem pretty weak. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it took ~20 arrows at full draw to kill a turtle.

Also the terrain inland is cool.

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012
I was on server #19 but playing solo is very slow...will switch over to #40 and help out. I'll be online around 6:30pm EDT.
IGN: Oedipial

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Every time I die when I respawn the world no longer has stones in it. Like zero stones, anywhere. So I'm unable to build my first basic tool. Also, not even the official servers are saving my character!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Game looks sweet but I'm going to wait a bit and live vicariously through you goons before I invest in it.

So question that I didn't see answered in the OP (maybe it was). When you get knocked unconscious do you just sit there staring at a black screen until you come to? How long are you usually out for?

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
This is fun, can't get into any servers. When I find one that isn't full it just sits on the screen with "ARK" and a big A forever.
Refund time I think.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
For people who can't get into servers, are you only looking at the official server list? There is an option in the lower left corner to look at unofficial servers and many of them have 20-40 players on them with a max of 70. I haven't really had any trouble finding a good server to play on.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Picked this up and having a blast. I can figure out what all the stars do except Fortitude. Is that innate armor?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

This is fun, can't get into any servers. When I find one that isn't full it just sits on the screen with "ARK" and a big A forever.
Refund time I think.

For a lot of people, me included, you have to wait at the loading screen for an unreasonably long time before the game loads. Before you refund I would try joining an unofficial server with plenty of space and give it time to load and see if that works. I was in the same boat but now I'm having a bunch of fun with the game.

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Picked this up and having a blast. I can figure out what all the stars do except Fortitude. Is that innate armor?

It's overall "toughness" of your character...helps against getting knocked out.

echofriendly
May 25, 2007

It don't mean butt
if it ain't got that jutt.
if you arent using steam's server browser from the View tab in the steam client to join servers you are loving up.

read the Dev stickys on Steam's discussion forum

echofriendly fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2015

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

HBPrince posted:

It's overall "toughness" of your character...helps against getting knocked out.

it also adds resistance to the weather elements, meaning it takes more to get hot or cold

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Where can I find the goon mumble info? It got a little lonely last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
gently caress those giant scorpions. I was all set up with a campfire, barely surviving the cold in the mountains on my first run through and I started hearing this weird tapping noise. I can't really see anything since I'm crouching near the fire just to keep the sliver of health I still had, and then this giant insect face and claws appear through the flames right in front of me. I killed it somehow before dying (still died from the cold later), but holy poo poo.

Edit: Are creatures attracted to fire? I swear I heard/saw more dinos/scorpions while I was huddling near that campfire than almost any other time I was playing.