Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

Bleh... anyone know how long the sale is going to last? Even with the discount it's like 60 bucks with the DLCs. I'm wavering.

I recently picked it up with this sale and decided to pass on the DLC bundle, figuring by the time I’ve gotten my fill of the base game the DLC might be on sale later. I think the sale lasts through tomorrow only though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That scenario literally just happened to my friend and I’s humble little thatch hut last night at around 4am. :shobon:

The game is great fun in a bizarre and endearing way. It is quite unique.

e: live transcript that woke me up last night

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 25, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I do actually have a question about the game. I've noticed that a majority of servers I have tried have severe rubber band lag issues. The one server I found that did not have this problem was an Extinction server that apparently resets fairly often. Are there servers out there that do not have rubber band lag issues in combat that aren't Extinction? I am wondering if after a long enough time has elapsed there are just too many player buildings and the servers start to implode with lag?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

3 years after release, they finally got actual tracing and performance testing tools, and learned that no poo poo, having 500+ autoturrets and another 500 species X turrets all in render and running the AI logic every tick causes the server to completely poo poo itself. Like 500-700+ms per tick, just on that code. So yeah, server running at a generous 1-2 FPS would cause the server to lag like a son of a bitch.

So instead of coming out with a solution that supports the current 'huge metal box covered in 800 turrets' meta to defend against anyone with a steggo and a stack of C4 from wrecking your poo poo, they up and announce that any time more than 100 turrets are in render range of each-other will just stop working.

Like holy poo poo, it's not hard to have more than one kind of autogun with different strengths and balances, seriously.

I'm brand new to the game and still just getting a handle on how things work past stone tier, but I have to imagine there are going to be other solutions to the Steggo + C4 problem than just turrets? Just spitballing but:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive
-Extra wall layers / maze structures to increase the C4 requirement
-Strategic placement of rocket turrets

At a certain point, I don't really think a base should be able to automatically defend itself at all hours of the day with zero player interaction either. Unkillable alpha tribes indicate to me that once a server has become established, that's it - the game is over for that server. It discourages new players from wanting to join and try their luck. I don't see that as good gameplay design overall, but I've also never partaken in an end game raid so I don't really have a grasp on how realistic it is to truly overtake an existing alpha tribe.

These giant clusterfuck bases are clearly killing performance too. It's cool that goons have an insane empire, but it melts my GTX 1080 system down to an 8FPS slideshow of an experience. It's the only game where I can hear my GPU's fans while wearing my noise canceling headphones. Even outside the base there is constant rubber-banding with everything else on the map. Not saying turret nerfing is the only solution to this, far from it, but I am glad they are at least taking steps to address it.

Siets fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 28, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hah wow. For all the things the AI gets right in this game, that sure is lovely that dinos can’t be used for base defense.

So wandering really only works if you entirely pen your area. At first I thought “ok, just make a pen around the island” but then a determined enemy player could just knock down a part of the outer wall and the dinos would proceed to own themselves shortly thereafter. :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What do you mean by mass spoiling meat?

I learned last night you can do Split All on a stack of meat to speed up that process greatly if you want spoiled meat for narcos. The flip side is also true where you can keep everything in stacks to greatly reduce spoilage.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh snap. Is Split All an option on right click now?

Yessir! :eng101:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HelloSailorSign posted:

So my ocean surface water is opaque and I see that’s a known issue with Macs. All I’ve found are posts complaining about it, nothing about a fix. Any ideas?

I managed to fix it, but good luck fixing performance in general being utter shite on Macs period. I've got a 2016 top spec Macbook with the best possible video card and it was an absolutely slideshow even on medium. It's really honestly meant to be played in a Windows environment. At the very least consider bootcamp if it is your only option.

All that aside...

The fix I found was to go into the game's install directory and locate this specific file:
code:
./Content/PrimalEarth/Environment/Water/Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset
I did not have TheCenter downloaded and installed, so what I did was rename the file to Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset.bak so that the game stopped loading it. This made the water a little too translucent but it got rid of the horrendous pixelated gray oil slick look it had before.

If you have TheCenter mod/DLC downloaded and installed, then simply copy and place it's water file with the same name from it's directory over the top of the PrimalEarth directory's water file to achieve normal looking water:
code:
./Content/Mods/TheCenter/Assets/Mic/Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking it was unfair that carnivore tames had a superior taming timer reduction technique by feeding them prime meat compared to herbivores which to me was always just "mejoberries, lol..."

Turns out you can feed them stimberries until they are halfway or mostly starved, let them wake up, knock them down again, and then finish with mejoberries. By letting them wake up, it resets the taming efficiency rating to its default but the dino retains their starved status. Pretty neato taming trick I thought.

Also I joined DEA but their base and overall setup is super overwhelming to me as a newbie. (The entire server they are based on is also a rubber-bandy-laggy-mess too unfortunately, which makes for aggravating gameplay for me personally. Not sure if this recently got any better with the turret nerf or not.) A bunch of my RL friends tagged along when I picked up Ark with the Steam sale, so our 7~9 member group is slowly progressing past stone into metal tier (hopefully) and I'm learning the game fairly well with them. I think it helps to be on the ground floor with building up new infrastructure to really learn how things work, so I'm excited to dive into Aberration with DEA goons when that launches.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Watching a literal CRAB BATTLE with nearly a hundred goons pelting one with arrows was a lot of fun today. :allears:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the aquatic mushrooms finally give water, but I think they also decrease your food now? Seems like the way to go is to eat a bunch of aggeravic mushrooms first and then eat a bunch of aquatic. This lets me kind of sustain for awhile.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

gently caress dealing with swarms of Nameless Ones

You know about using a bulbdog/shinehorn to keep them from spawning and deal extra damage to them right? Also megalosaurus tames utterly trivialize even the largest groups of nameless. Only thing that sucks there is that they aren’t nearly as mobile as ravagers.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Our tribe built a small chair on the surface of Aberration. The plan is to abduct an annoying beach bob and handcuff him to the chair, while he slowly waits to be crucified by the sun.

Ark is a good game. :3:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Colapops posted:

Gonna have to work fast. The sun destroys all structures, so you'd have to build it at night in a spot where the sun will be. You probably already knew that but I witnessed someone building a stone base up on the surface and you can guess how that ended.

We tested and for some reason our chair survived multiple day night cycles. :unsmigghh:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is the company gonna ban me for daring to play with goons again? This is an important question.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anyone still play this? It was $19 on Steam Sale and I've been watching a YouTube channel of people playing on a casual server. I've never done a survival game before so I'm pretty excited!

What is BattleEye? Do I need it to play on decent servers or is it optional?

I'm looking forward to the PVE for now, may do a small tribe server or something like that! :shobon:

Game is fun and worth that price for entry if you’re a kid at heart who grew up with Jurassic Park. The game is super malleable to suit a lot of individual tastes. It just all comes down to finding your favorite map + server setting combo and then boom before you know it Ark is at 500+ hours played on your Steam account.

PVP can be fun but doubly depends on the server settings and the people that play there. As a rule of thumb (this is coming from a vet), stay far the gently caress away from official server PVP. It might be fun at first, but eventually you will lose all your poo poo to either A.) a bunch of racist 4-Chan 14 year olds, or B.) a bunch of poopsocking Elite Chinese Invaders that attack your base at 4am while you’re sleeping just like Alex Jones warned you about.

Oh, and don’t clan up with goons, ever. The developers way of dealing with hackers is to ban everyone in the tribe and who is allied with the tribe. So yeah, unless you’re for some reason a fan of losing your account due to guilt by association, I’d steer clear of that and just do PVP with real life friends or on private servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I do like the stories of people loving around by putting them in prisons and stuff, but not actively trying to wreck their experience.

What we have going on is prefectly suited for what I want. I can gently caress off and build when and where I want, but others will be around to help.

My fondest memory in this game is imprisoning some angry Russian guy for over a week on an official server I used to play on. Every time I checked the cage, he was always logged on and would start angrily swearing in broken English at anyone who would come near him. Eventually most of the players on the server learned about the cage with the swearing Russian and were all so entertained by it that we all made a sort of gentleman’s agreement not to break down the structure so that we could keep him there indefinitely. For almost two weeks the Russian would log in every day for several hours and just sit there, handcuffed and naked, swearing incoherently at anyone who came by before ultimately giving up on the character and moving servers or quitting the game.