Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cannondellah posted:

Does this protect from whales?
It does not! They'll eat your boat right through any foundation.

I turned the drat things off on my server. But mine is just a small PvE thing with a few friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Anyone have any mods they think are essential? Like major QoL improvements or really cool additions?

I'm trying to keep things fairly vanilla since we're all still pretty new to the game, but I added the following because they just seemed really useful:

Structures+
Bridge
Stackable Foundations
Echos Stacking Storage
Egg N Poop Collector / Incubator

It's mostly building stuff since that's what I found the most frustrating about vanilla (at least of the stuff that can't just be tweaked in Ark Server Manager). But I'm sure there may be some other stuff I hadn't thought of.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

kedo posted:

Is structures+ the one that provides no-collision versions of walls and foundations? If not, look for a mod that does that.

Phone posting or I'd check myself!
Yup. And looking at the feature list it looks like maybe Stackable Foundations was redundant with S+. Oops.

Maybe I'll go in and replace what I have built already. How well does the game handle pulling a mod out? Does it just delete existing instances of items? Or will it blow up the server?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

Stuff from that mod will vanish, typically taking whatever was built on top with it
Cool. That's better than blowing up at least. I'm not sure how far the other guys got last night after I logged off, but it's still early enough I might be able to replace everything without too much trouble.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of Homing Pigeons and Death Helper. I don't actually mind manually feeding narcotics, but that's an interesting one.

I have yet to try the Crafting Table, but it looks really cool.

And mostly I like ESS for the visible labels on things. It'd be one thing if I could dump items into one box and have everything get sorted for me like I usually set up in modded Minecraft. But the CT at least looks like it removes one direction of the item management tedium.

JuffoWup posted:

There needs to be a single player overhaul mod too. You can go around and tweak some settings to help, but it is still better if everything was just rebalanced for it. I saw someone was making such a thing for conan exiles, but it got stopped because everything was changing too much. I think there was similar for ark and with a similar reason for support dropping out.
This would be really nice. It's obviously all up to taste, but near the end of my friend's server where I was mostly playing alone, with default rates on a lot of things I was starting to feel the grind to get anything done.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yeah, even for small servers I can't imagine playing without upping the rates pretty significantly.

We've got the rates set to 2xXP, 3xHarvesting, 5xTaming, 25x Dino Maturation, plus a bunch of mods to add some QoL junk. I think we're up to 19 now.

And then because rates were that high, I went and wrote a fully custom set of beacon drop tables... I think I've honestly been having just as much fun with this on a game-design level as just playing the game.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Not sure if people are mostly in for PvP/pubbie crushing, but I could throw my cluster info in PGS if there's interest in a chill modded PvE server to build houses and ride dinos around on.

My RL friends that were playing got bored and have mostly moved on to other games, but I've still got the bug. So I've just been treating it like a persistent single player sandbox thing for the past week or so. But it's always fun to see what other people get up to.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
No, it's not actually that much more difficult. Rag and Center both have a 1-150 level range of dinos, and they're both perfectly okay for starting out. I haven't started Rag from scratch, but there's actually a lot of metal on the beaches from what I've seen.

That level range can be a little tough starting out, but it's not that bad, and actually makes the game easier in the long run IMO once you start taming high level dinos. They get a % based level increase based on taming effectiveness, and once you start breeding that imprint bonus gets absurd. I have a high level bred Thylacoleo I ride around on most of the time and it's murdered every wild Rex I've thrown at it.

E: Also, if you guys are planning on running a private server, I highly recommend Ark Server Manager. It takes all the pain out of managing a server and keeping it and any mods up to date. Plus, if you did want to mess around with transferring, it's dead simple to set that up and really only eats an extra half gig of RAM per server instance.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 13, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Server management is kind of a pain, especially if you want it accessible outside your house, but it's not really that bad if you use the Ark Server Manager tool. I had 4 server instances running the different maps as a cluster at one point.

You can definitely go down a rabbit hole configuring it and adding mods, but you'd have the same issue with a service.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

HelloSailorSign posted:

Last time I played a server I ran into the issue of starving dinos and decaying inventory since I only play 2-3x a week, but I wanted something my friend and I could play on.

I would manually take the server up and down to keep that decay from happening, though occasionally something would turn the server on and we'd go through 4 days with no one logged on to take care of things.

Is there an easier way of doing this? Auto up/down (or at least, if no players for 30 mins then shutdown until called again)? I know Ark takes awhile to start.
I think maybe they changed the dino starving thing? I never had any issues with dinos starving. As far as I can tell they only used food when they were doing something, and I left it for a few weeks at a time towards the end.

You could maybe run into issues if your base isn't secure. If wild dinos can get to your tames then they could get eaten.

Inventory, yeah, you're toast there. Though it's not too bad IMO if the rates are upped. Then it's not that big a deal to grab some more berries to tide you over til you murder a dino or two. And a stacking mod to make your stacks bigger will slow down decay by a ton since it happens per stack.

I had zero remorse upping the rates either. By mid game it seems like they expect you to have a whole tribe's worth of people out gathering to get enough resources to make anything.

Hakarne posted:

Thanks all. Can I go through the story on my server or do I need to be in single player for that? As far as setting the server up, ark server manager made it super easy. I never tried default but I highly recommend it - I just run it locally on my PC and turn it on/off with my game.

And holy poo poo I'm not sure what to do starting out. I ended up on a beach and got eaten by a dilophosaurus after punching a tree. I'm so lost
Is there even a story mode or whatever? I thought it was just the dossier notes. And those you can get in multiplayer just fine.

And yeah, that's basically the starting ARK experience. Good luck!

e: Server setting tips:

1) Definitely turn on the auto-backup and auto-update. Steam tends to update the game automatically, and if they're out of sync you can't connect. And there was a time or two where the active save got corrupted and I had to roll back to a backup.

2) If this is purely a private server, check the "Disable Dino Decay" boxes in the Dino settings.

3) I ended up messing with a bunch of other stuff to alleviate tedium. I think I had 3x Harvest, 2x XP, 5x Taming, and 25x Baby Maturation. But obviously all of that is to taste. I also replaced the beacon drop tables with custom drops since they kind of become useless after a while by default.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 17, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

For me, the reason I like the single player mode is that I can gently caress off for a few weeks playing some other game and not worry about starving dinos. That was one part that had started to bother me on the official server back in the day. Knowing I had to log in every day to make sure everything was fed.
Not sure if I tweaked the settings or they changed how that worked since you played, but I never had any issues leaving my dinos for weeks at a time on my server. They seemed to only use their food bar if they were active or healing.

Chalk me up as another goon that prefers the laid-back small, enhanced rates PvE server experience for building cool things and collecting cool dinos. I only started playing near the end of EA though, so it never really had a chance for the exploration/crafting/leveling/collecting game to get stale. And I don't really have the patience for default rates on these games that are designed for large clans.

Though I also strangely enjoyed tinkering with the rules too. I ended up putting together custom beacon drop scripts to try to make them semi-worthwhile even through the mid game. (Basically, since I had the Modification Station mod, IIRC I limited that to maxing out at low-level ~blueish mods, added mid-level ~purpleish stuff to beacons as level appropriate, and threw maxed out equipment in the dungeon beacons. I also threw useful stuff like eggs, kibble, and decent quantities of basic resources in the lower tier beacons so they're still sometimes worth your time.)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yellows can start to drop some good stuff again. But yeah, anything less than that is pretty much useless after the initial stages. That's why I eventually ended up rolling my own supply drop tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For reference, I thought Ragnorak was fun at first but eventually began showing its shitiness, and now I dislike that map.
What were your problems with it? Just curious because I'd been planning on using it for the next time I pick this back up.