Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

So I have a kind of tech question. The devs are stating a 20% performance boost with their dx12 mode renderer (coming friday!). I have assumed it would be greater for me because I have a pair of 660s in sli configuration. So am I correct in thinking the performance enhancement should be a little more than that?

I'm hopeful for SLI being supported when they integrate DX12 and I think you're right to assume that the ~20% gain is for single GPU computers and you would get more with multiple GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

If the game does not support SLI then you get zero benefit from having SLI, usually having SLI enabled on games that don't support it actually *harms* performance.
ARK does not have SLI support and thus you gain nothing from SLI. Direct X 12 has multi-GPU rendering which is different (but better) than SLI but it has to be built into the game itself.
I have heard that the newest Unreal engine doesn't support SLI at all either so ???

I read somewhere they were intending to build SLI support in with DX12 after it was integrated, not sure how feasible that is with the unreal engine but I'm hopeful.

Edit:

Not put out by the ARK team but it demonstrates two scenarios on the Unreal engine in which they have a single gpu vs multiple using the new technology with directx 12 and it gives an additional 10% increase in fps. Considering how new the technology is, it would be surprising not to see additional increases in our ability to use multiple GPUs for which it is not natively supported as time goes on.

http://wccftech.com/directx-12-multiadapter-technology-discrete-integrated-gpus-work-coherently-demo-shows-big-performance-gains/

Loiku fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 27, 2015

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Have they put out a highlights reel for the latest tournament?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Purge servers are really fun. I remember the one for that Valhalla map way back when and it was the most fun I ever had playing this game. In order to encourage PvP during off hours, the server admins made a shop in an area where it was forbidden to PvP and you could exchange enemy implants for good gear (getting a decent rifle for tranq'ing helped immensely) and tames. It also gave you an impetus to actually kill people instead of knocking them out and throwing them in cages. They also weighted the implants based off of player activity so more active, regular players who were womping everyone else would be worth more toward getting stuff. It adds an interesting aspect to the game but it takes a lot of work from server admins and is ripe for abuse.

The castle mod made it extremely easy to hide your tames during non-purge hours from snipers but you could accomplish the same thing with thatch.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

charity rereg posted:

I wanted to tread very, very lightly between tweaking for QOL and fun. I did get a low level rex last night and that took like 30+ minutes, and since it's a private server with 4-5 people who occasionally play that's probably true.

What is the point of chitin armor btw? On both maps it has been easier/safer(ish)/faster to farm metal and just skip it entirely, it comes late enough in the tech tree that we can usually sneak by with leather until flak. We had to dump all of our Chitin into saddles for the fliers (which... also die easily)

Assuming nothing is dead we have a Rex & two trikes...

Chitin armor was great to get when Survival of the Fittest was a thing but in the base game it's generally disappointing. I don't know if things have changed much but it always felt like a pit fall since you need lots of cementing paste.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

They've changed much then since you don't need cementing paste for it now. Just chitin, hide, and fiber all of which are incredibly easy to gather.

Those were always the ingredients (I think). It never took cementing paste to make the armor. Chitin/keratin at that time was pretty much the only way to make cementing paste at the time and beaver dams weren't a thing yet. Keratin was also fairly rare so if you wanted cementing paste it almost all came from chitin. That almost all came from pulmoscorps until meganeura (sp?) were added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

"pvp" in this game consists of virtually never actually fighting anyone and instead just coming back to all your poo poo destroyed and looted and all your dinos dead after an alpha tribe sends scouts into your server for a bit to clock your schedule and launches a mass invasion when your tribe is usually the least active.

like it's real, real bad.

i do agree with this, it's something i've actually wanted to do myself and would be down for playing on official pve servers.

Private servers with purge nights were my favorite for PvP so long as you can dedicate to showing up for those few hours. You'd actually get to fight people and not just base defenses. I'm not sure if that's still a thing. PvP on official servers was generally pretty lame though. When they first launched the new server clusters when the game officially launched there was some good PvP for a few days before it devolved back into people avoiding actual PvP and back to offline raiding.