Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
The fact that they are rendering water under all terrain could be the cause of the lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I think they fixed some lag issues, dinosaurs were always intended to be this hard but they were unable to consistently hit you previously.

This should help with pvp as well.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Your current weight is a factor as well, if you run around with 100 wood you will chew up more food.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Greatly depends on the private server for the most part i have found. Some private and the Official servers have huge problems with combat jank, but the one I play on with friends has pretty much none of the same jank.

Yea I started playing on the goons evolved private server and there is 0 lag during combat. The game is 10 times harder now since you can no longer dance around hitting the Dino while they can't hit you back. Only down side is not a lot of players on the server so there will be little pvp but with the dinos being a lot harder the new challenge is actually surviving the dinos.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Aleth posted:

We'd read that too and it's bullshit as the bronto we were taming wouldn't touch the stuff and went for mejo then any other berries over the savo.

All herbivores eat the mejo berries first regardless of which berry is their preferred food. It might be the same issue for all base berries over the farmed ones.

Mordachi posted:

As for other game issues PVP is entirely imbalanced by the fact that people can just pick up others with flying dinos and just drop them to their deaths, although hilarious there is literally no recourse or counter, if you like watching a bar fill up for hours to tame a dino and lose it in 10 seconds this is probably your game.

Get a parachute or two to prevent this.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 22, 2015

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Set it to follow you or set it to passive. On passive it will just sit there when attacked so make sure you don't let it die. When set to follow you it will freak out till you kill what attacked it than it will return to you.

The birds are much better since they will kill what attacked them instead of freaking out.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
That didn't take long, nude mods have made it to Ark. :gonk:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=487516323

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Silica are the pearls used for electronics. I think their full name is silica pearls.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Azhais posted:

I feel what this game is really missing is the aquatic version of ants

Don't piranhas fill that roll? They need to be in the oceans though.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
drat, Jat just made the following post.

Jat posted:

Global Official Server Bans
Hello Survivors!

Something important news and it is very key that you all understand and are aware what is happening. Over the next coming days we will begin exercising global official server bans and will continue to make use of them.

So we expect everyone to be on good behaviour from now on, this means that we are explicitly prohibiting:

- 3rd Party Cheats
- Aimbots
- ESP Cheats
- Anything else that modifies the game in such a way as to give an unintended advantage
- Derogatory and Personalized Harassment

It is up to OUR discretion what derogatory and personalized harassment is. If it seems like what you're about to communicate, could even BORDERLINE seem like it's going to really offend or be harmful to another player's ability to play and enjoy the game without fear of being harassed, don't say it. We understand that there are elements to the game which can cause things to get heated, however we request that you do not go overboard. In these extreme cases we will step in.

We have already collected a small number of people to go onto this list, based on previous behaviour. However we're willing to provide a one-time amnesty if good behaviour starts now* - which is why we're telling you in advance! So please play nice and true, from this point onward.

Thanks guys!

* Some players will not have that amnesty-extended to them

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Trip report: tamed a 96 ape yesterday, got him to about 50% two times and a dilo came up and aggroed him. After killing the dilo his tame bar reset both times.

After that I fenced off a valley with spike walls and lured him in. Got it to 90% but hosed up and got to close. He turned on me got a hit in before I could back off and my Argent jumped in to help me. Got on my Argent and flew him out of the valley and reset the aggro on the ape. Came back and the tame was reset.

Queue the forth try. I built this taming corral next to the southern most cave so I built a stone doorway in the entrance that I could fit in that he could not. Started taming and retreated into the cave when he aggroed me. You can sit 10 feet from him and he will reset without dropping the tame so it seems as long as he doesn't aggro another dino the taming doesn't reset.

Tldr: don't let your ape aggro or get aggroed by other dinos or the taming resets.

Also in regards to their fighting ability, their knock back is really useful like the trikes, I was able to kill raptors and carnos with little trouble.l if I timed the hits right. A trike took him down to 50% though and he has 3k hp so that was odd.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

On the successful attempt how long did it take to tame it/with what food?

My servers rates are increased but it took a little less than a trike. I used mejo berries but the type of berry didn't seem to matter from what I could tell.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
After reading that I have come to the conclusion that we are getting a new map that will be mostly desert.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Did they fix the rubber banding on official servers?

Nope, I went to 360 recently because the private server I'm playing on lost a lot of players but I couldn't stand fighting laggy dinos after being on a server with no lag. I only lasted 1 day back on official servers.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
That's so great that you can do the roll while on the new dino. You get crushed under him. I hope it let's you avoid being picked up by flyers, same for the barrel roll.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I never ran into a single hacker on any of the 3 official servers I played on.

If you really feel the game is full of hackers though you can always join a private server with active admins.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Zotix posted:

I know but I thought 50 was the max bonus levels you could get from taming. What is the exact number then? 60?

He is saying that 50 level limit you are referring to is the amount of levels you can earn on a tamed dino. There is no limit on the extra levels you get when the tame is completed. That is based on the dinos level and taming efficiency.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
They are planning to add them, just didn't make the list of features for early access. Now that house furnishings are going to be released soon I think we will start seeing more features like that added.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
There was a post in one of the early Q&A where a developer said they won't be able to make the map any larger due to limitations in the UT engine. This was in response to someone asking if they will ever make the ocean larger.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
What specs are you running? A coworker of mine built a pc for a friend out of parts from his old comps and the game runs at 30-40 fps on medium.

Don't forget to turn the sky quality to the lowest setting, it helps a lot.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

GTX 970, i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz, on an SSD, with 16 GB of RAM, windows 8.1. No idea why this game alone seems to be problematic when I can run almost everything else on ultra.

There must be something wrong with that driver, I have a 3.8 GHZ I7 and half that ram with everything else the same and I get 30-50 fps with epic settings and everything set to max except sky quality due to the clouds obscuring the mountains.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
The other option is getting a low pop private server so you can fiddle with the settings as well. Me and a few friends did that and it turned out great since we have times where some people want to play when no one else is on.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Edit: nvm I'm to tired and read the above post wrong

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Wow, they club a baby penguin to death in that video.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

So what's the deal with collecting unfertilized eggs for kibble? Is it true dinos only have a chance to lay an egg when they come out of stasis, and not if you sit there watching them?

No longer true, just walk around about ever 5 minutes looking for eggs and you will find them now.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting, thanks. Have a decent size pen with males and females near my base and I rarely see eggs. Maybe it is because they are on the ground and not a foundation? I know there was an issue with eggs falling through the floor. Will have to build a foundation and see if that helps any.

I believe dinos in stasis won't lay eggs so if the pen is outside of render distance for dinos they won't lay any. I keep all my dinos next to my crafting area to not only get them xp but to also keep them close for egg laying.

I also have my dinos on the ground. I find that eggs drop through buildings more often than the ground. I get eggs from my aviary on the ground like 100 feet below it all the time.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
You should go test that to see how it works, my dinos get levels all the time just from standing around. These are dinos that can't even be rode like dilos and dodos. They are also not out killing things and I don't kill things near my base.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I've just switched to sotf, I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
What's bs about it? I haven't had a chance to delve into that part yet.

I did check out the swamp cave. Even when using a mask and tank you still take damage every 5 seconds from the poison air. On top of that the first thing I ran into was a pack of about 10 level 300+ dragon flies. I passed out immediately and was killed before I could get past the first room.

These caves don't gently caress around.