Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Absolutely. Pvp is fun sometimes but the way it's currently implemented is kind of lovely. There's really no reason to attack someone unless you just want to be a dick.

This is exactly how I feel about pvp in this game. It's fun if you're the one doing the destroying because it's something to do besides harvesting or taming, but it's pointless and mostly a dick move, especially on a server with normal harvesting/taming rates. It's okay if you're able to defend against an attack, but unless you're in a big tribe that happens to always have people on it seems like 99% of pvp occurs on sleeping characters and their houses/dinos.

Just sort of obnoxious. I get it to be sure, but it's not super fun for all involve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TheDK posted:

This is pretty funny and I hope it happens to my character one day.

Building question:
I have a base (a hut I call a base) on the beach next to a cliff face. Is it possible to build a ramp or something that goes up the cliff so I can get to the upper level without having to run all the way around where I can walk up?

I'm wanting a two-level thing where the bottom is on the beach and there is an outpost on top of the cliff. I've learned the engram for ramp but haven't actually built one or tried it out. I'm picturing some kind of fire escape setup with ramps and foundations.

Yes. On one of the servers I play on some dude has built exactly this up the big cliffs by the E2 spawn. Not sure if the cliff needs to be at some sort of angle to work correctly (I would assume it does), but it's doable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

lilspooky posted:

They need to rethink their tame times. People spending 6-10 hours to tame a worthless lizard is more moronic than raiding in MMO's.

So much this. Now that I've been playing on 2x/3x servers for awhile the vanilla game feels unnecessarily slow.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What level of granular control do you have over resource gathering rates when setting up a server? The 2x one I'm on right now is great for taming and manual harvesting, but if you hop on a trike and start hitting bushes you'll fill up your dino's inventory in 30 seconds (which is convenient, but makes keeping a large number of tamed herbivores and narc production hilariously easy).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I believe the correct name is "icky water dinosaur."

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of crazy mounts, my raptor has decided it will collect all corpses as he sees fit, corpse collection setting be damned. Has anyone seen a bug like that before and if so is there any way to fix it? All I've tried is toggling it on and off a billion times.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

That's why you build yourself a house and keep some torches in a box there

This. Also I never log without torch repair materials on me and there are enough standing torches, fires and other light sources in my house that I can bumble around and eventually find something I can hit E on to provide light.

turtlecrunch posted:

or just do what I do and afk whenever night rolls around. :v:

Night is for beacon hunting, yo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well I enjoyed watching that for 30 minutes or so, but it kinda sucks when something interesting is happening and the announcer dudes go, "OH, we're being told we need to check in on BigDickMonsterXxX, lets cut to him right now.... okay where is he on this list of players... is that him... no okay now I'm hearing his in game name is actually Poop Socket... where is Poop Socket on this list... okay there we go! Oh, looks like he built a wooden house."

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I don't get temperature in this game. How can it be 31°F on a sunny beach with palm trees?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TheDK posted:

The person I play with is always staying up way too late, playing drunk and getting our dinos killed in stupid ways.

:argh:

Same, but substitue "killing" for "losing somewhere on the map," followed with "randomly finding about half of them the next day while beacon hunting."

Trained raptors are scrappy, give no fucks about staying out all night and will greet you with an inventory full of meat. Tamed pteras... not so much.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Regarding raptors, the wiki says you can punch one in the face to knock it out but every time I've tried that or slingshots, I've gotten my poo poo pushed in. What's a reliable way to knock one out around level 15, when you get the saddle? I have been playing on difficulty 3/4 servers though, so the last two raptors I tried this with were levels 40 and 63 respectively.

If you have two people, slingshots work fine as you can just kite them between two people.

If you're solo, run backwards while slingshotting or punching. That way as they chase you they stay mostly in front of you and are easier to hit. Wear as much armor as you have and you should be fine. And honestly for your first raptor get something your level or lower – it will level super fast and will be way, way faster to tame.

Another option is to try to trade w/ someone on your server for ~10 tranq arrows. They'll only take two or three, but you'll miss a few times. I don't know what your server's economy is like, but this would probably cost about 200 stone at most on mine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gonkish posted:

I just grabbed this last night on a whim. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I am reading the FAQs in the OP.

All I know is that this game is pretty, it runs like poo poo, and I die a lot. I want to ride a dinosaur some day. I enjoy it.

Turn down the visual settings, especially the SSAO stuff. It's not optimized for poo poo, but even if you turn off the crazy shaders it'll still look very pretty and it will run well.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've put hundreds of hours into the game but I am still at what you might consider a 'basic' level. For instance I think my highest level has been like 30 or something?

There's definitely a happy medium in there. I played for awhile on a 3x gathering/xp, 5x taming server and it made the game feel pointless. Within a single evening, my buddy and I were up to level 30, had a huge stone house bridging a waterfall and a raptor army. Sure it was fun having all of those things, but we've never gone back to that sever because, well, what were we going to do? Get to 65 in another evening and then be "done?"

I'd love to see defaults like so: gather rate slightly higher (like, 1.2x), taming at 2x, xp at 1x since higher gathering and taming means you'll get more xp anyways as you're building/taming more stuff. Once you figure out how not to get killed by dilos and that you always need to keep a bit of cooked meat on you, survival in the game becomes incredibly simple. As they are now, the rates just make it tediously boring to build or tame anything, they don't actually make the game more challenging. If taming big dinos needs to be a challenge so new players can't go get a rex right off the bat, make them harder to take down, don't make it take five hours out of my day to babysit the stupid thing.

Heck, I would be happy with all of the rates at 1x except for taming.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Decided to try to kill a 60 alpha rex last night with my buddy and approx. 70 arrows / 50 long rifle shots.

It did not work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

They must have had poorly tamed dinos, or just didn't know where to stick their stats or something. I'm pretty sure any of the difficultly 3.0 rexes or higher can flat out just solo the alpha.

How do you folks spread points across a multi-purpose carnivore dino (ie. for riding as well as killing things)? I'm never sure how much they need stamina if they're killing things when unmounted.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jackard posted:

Why would rexes ever intentionally be unmounted? It reduces their attacks and their AI is garbage.

I don't even have a rex, so ignorance on how they work mostly! I currently roll around with my low level RaptorCrew™ because I am too loving lazy to spend hours taming higher level / bigger dinos.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Azhais posted:

I feel what this game is really missing is the aquatic version of ants

You shut up this minute.

Question regarding foundations preventing other folks from building – do fence foundations do the same thing?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Game mechanics aside, this is early access. Sometimes your corpse falls through the world or sails off to the heavens, never to be seen again.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jackard posted:

And that's 25 hours of handfeeding since they haven't even added narcotic-laced meat yet :psypop:

Is narcotic-laced meat for sure happening at some point in the future? Coz then I wouldn't really give two shits about idiotic taming times or want/need to play on a 2x taming server.

\/ Awesome.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Do you mean an argent? Just shoot it next time. Most will die to two or three arrows.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ARK: Survival Evolved - a 1x1 shack made of swig

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Get a crossbow and go crazy on some argents, I imagine.

Also tame a low level trike. Spoil all the argent meat you don't eat, use the trike to get narco berries, churn out huge batches of narc.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Familiar Foreigner posted:

I've been playing offline solo, and I've found having a torch out is usually enough to push you from freezing to death to just cold, also get a couple spears and murder penguins/dodos for food so you have enough time to get some fiber. Otherwise yeah, as juffo said get a foundation with a bed on it as soon as you can, it helps tremendously being able to respawn at a fixed location.

Something else that may help is to up the gathering rate/health, the gathering rate is balanced around multiplayer, so turning them up (2-3x) makes it less painful to play solo.

Also worth noting that if you're soloing, don't spawn anywhere in the north to start off. The south is much more forgiving. There are tons of areas where it's warm enough that, despite the winter event, you can run around naked and not die.

Furthermore, the weather system in the game is incredibly arbitrary – if you're an ice cube in one spot, running ten feet in another direction will probably result in a 30-50° difference. Build your house or what have you in the warm spot, not the cold spot. Also make lots of meat. Even if you're freezing to death, you can stay alive a long time by holding a torch and force feeding yourself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

EricFate posted:

I'm just now beginning to realize what a pain in the rear end it is going to be to keep them all fed.

Get a feeding trough and a low level trike. Meat is easy enough to get. Trikes are easy to tame and good at harvesting berries. Put everything in the feeding trough. Ta-da!

e: Also dinos don't need to eat if you're offline.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seriously folks, just move to a different spawn point if you're having problems staying alive in the beginning. If you have the ice cube temperature notification, you're gonna die. If you have the snowflake, you'll survive but will just need to eat more. Also pull out your torch.

I totally agree that the event is a pain in the rear end, but it's not like it makes the game impossible unless you're choosing to remain in a terrible, frigid location.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nelson posted:

But the white everywhere would have been a big turnoff for me if I were a new player. It's rather depressing.

That's my biggest gripe... snow everywhere + insane bloom = eye bleeding.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not just you. Everything in this game takes too long. There's no PvP because of it. Everything is offline raiding, no one engages in actual PvP.

I'm on a pretty active private server (10-20 people on at all hours) with something like 6x taming and 3x xp and gathering, and no one PvPs for real there either. Occasionally some of the bigger tribes that have like 20+ rexes and giganotosaurui will have planned skirmishes, but they're really just a few people standing out in a field playing pokemon with dinosaurs.

However if you're in anything other than stone with a couple of species X on your roof, you're going to get offline raided every single time you log off. I mean, I get it and totally partake in offline raiding myself, but in the end it's just a slightly more interesting version of resource gathering.

e: Also every server I've been on has big enough lag spikes every 30 seconds to a minute that actual PvP would be a pain in the rear end and dumb.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It you're on a PvP server and are level 15 the first thing you should do is upgrade your house to stone. Wood says "come raid me" to anyone with metal tools. Stone is a much bigger pain in the rear end and most folks will pass you up in favor of softer targets.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Not if they have giganto. They can kill your base unless it's metal.

Yeah I'm aware of this (which is why my main base was built on top of a rock spire in the swamp when it was still stone), but it's still a deterrent. Most people who have progressed to the point where they have a giganto probably aren't going to want to go to the effort to raid some tiny, obviously newbie stone base. The effort it'd take to run your giganto across the map probably isn't worth the couple hundred skins or stones you'd get. Other newbies will, however, and the stone will prevent them from doing so.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hope you didn't clear out too big of a space, otherwise your location will be super obvious from above! I still say upgrading to stone should be your number one priority. I'm guessing you're on a vanilla server? With 1x rates on harvesting, exp and taming, it's hard to build up enough supplies to tame any dino that's worth a drat if you get raided every time you go offline.

You should still try to get a trike or something if for no other reason than gathering stone by hand is a thousand times slower if you have to walk back to your house every time your inventory is full. Build walls, ceilings and foundations as you harvest, put them on the trike, and keep harvesting. If you have a few friends helping out, you should be able to get a pretty reasonably sized starter base in an hour or two. Go for a two tall 3x6 at least, otherwise it's going to feel cramped once you start getting access to higher tier crafting stations.

Grab supply drops whenever you see them too. Metal tools are game changers in the early game and you won't be able to harvest enough metal for awhile to make them yourselves.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If your server's alpha tribe is pub-stomping anyone with material beyond wood and a trike, you should probably think about leaving them to their sub-par single player server.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, the fact that people are using C4 on tiny stone huts with no defense or dinos is a bad sign. Most established tribes should be going for someone slightly below them, not griefing newbies.

Agreed, find a new server. C4ing small stone huts is such a hilarious waste of resources that it's not even raiding per se, they're just plain griefing you as IE said. Fun if you're the griefer, super lame if you're just trying to game with buddies.

However if you're hard headed and refuse to leave, build your next base away from those guys (like, other side of the island away) and find a good natural spot where you'll be hard to find. I tend to build my first base under a big overhang on the north east side of the map, just a little north of the green obelisk. The rock wall is the same color as a stone structure, and there's an un-choppable tree that creates a lot of extra cover. I've built there on several servers with zero defense and dinos for awhile and haven't been raided. It's hard to see while flying and is not in a location where someone would be riding.

If you can find something like that you have a shot, but if you have jerks on your server it may not be worth it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

This leads me to a question: how secure/vulnerable is a stone base raft with 3 plant x on the edge of the map? Assume no tribal affiliation.

Semi secure, but mostly due to location. I've had a wooden boat absolutely full of goodies parked out on the edge of the map and it has never been raided. It's been there for about three weeks. However if you get found out and someone comes gunning for revenge, a single rpg would gently caress up a stone boat pretty good.

We had someone attempt to raid our base recently – it's on top of a huge rock tower in the middle of a swamp w/ a metal core structure and stone balconies all around to land fliers. It is absolutely covered in species X turrets. The raiders parked within range of the turrets on their quetz and lobbed probably 7 or 8 rpgs at us before they had to move to avoid damage. They destroyed almost all our stone, but didn't do enough damage to the metal to get in. I think they just ran out of rpgs.

3 species X won't do enough damage to prevent someone from destroying your boat if they have explosives and are motivated to gently caress you up. They're a good deterrent for a single rider on a ptera, but nearly worthless when you're facing an organized group. If you want to be safer, plop a real turret on top as well.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed. I honestly think the game is "done" as far as the devs are concerned. I mean, they're at the point where they're doing themed holiday updates instead of fixing performance issues that would be completely unacceptable in any other game. The people who were going to buy it probably already have, and I really doubt a couple dozen patches that get the game up to par from a performance perspective will have any impact on sales.

If I were making the game, I'd be doing exactly the same thing they are – releasing new content in every patch. It keeps the game feeling fresh and looking attractive to new players.

I'd like to be wrong, but I kind of doubt I am.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I've been playing on a server with increased rates but the same old island map for awhile with a buddy and got super bored. We just switched to Valhalla last night and it's a breath of fresh air. It is a huge map, and there's a heck of a lot more variation in terms of environments. Pretty much everything about it is more interesting and better than the island.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Veth posted:

Ark suffers from what lots of sandbox games suffer from: late-game so-what-now? You've built your hovel, you've tamed some dinosaurs, your food supply is secure, so now what?

You PVP. And by PVP I mean set up a tower defense course another clan will attempt to defeat when you're offline sleeping!

Ark has the same model as mmos. If you've invested enough time on a server to get to metal tiered buildings, sunk cost fallacy is going to kick in and keep you grinding in order to maintain your base. My buddy (who is obsessed with the game) is a great example of this. I enjoy exploring a new map and setting up a new base, but once we've done that I'm done with the server. So we hop to a new one. By contrast, my buddy cannot let those bases go. Thus he's currently maintaining three or four of our old bases on servers that I haven't touched since 2015. He probably spends at least an hour every day or two doing housekeeping (feeding dinos, making gas for generators, putting fertilizer on turrets, etc).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well that's interesting. Non-competes are rarely enforceable, but solicitation of employees and software theft are more serious. Still, :10bux: says Trendy has seen Ark's success and is hoping to get in on the action.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Hahahaha, 1.5x tame? On a sever that wipes monthly? No, thanks.

The devs seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes the game fun.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Wow, those turret changes are huge.

I can't decide if they'd make the game better or worse. On one hand, bases that aren't covered in turrets are easily raidable and I liked raiding bases. On the other hand, my base would also be easily raidable. Hmmm...

Only allowing them on rafts seems incredibly arbitrary.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Depends posted:

Even after the fixes our Quetz will go through 300-400 food for very short trips. It's our first Quetz on this server so it's low level and doesn't have a big food pool. We have to load it down with food or have a feeding trough built on it any time we use it now.

Haha, wow. Devs sure know how to make this game balanced and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The entire north coast can be terrifying for new players in one way or another. In my first couple of play throughs my buddy and I settled at the river mouth just south of carno island. Little did we know this is a loving terrible spot for new players – every kind of carnivore (at the time) spawned right there. We were close enough to mountains on either side that we'd risk sabertooth divebombing attacks every time we went out to grab some wood. We'd often walk out the door to be greeted by two spinos, a raptor pack and a rex or two chomping on things off in the distance. "Oh well, I guess that's ARK!" :downs: was our response as we died repeatedly while making little to no progress on anything other than basic survival.

After rerolling a few times in the same spot, we eventually decided to start in the south whereupon we almost immediately discovered herbo island and discovered the tremendous stupidity of our ways.