Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Is it just me or is the auto-poop strangely prescient? Last night I was spearing a dodo then a giant bird came down from the heavens to gently caress me up. I immediately pooped.

Same thin happened after a T-Rex bit me later that day. I heard ROAR bite, poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Goodchild posted:

I can't wait for the patch that adds

Feature: The ability to Log In.

Fighting the menu loop bug every time I want to play is just not worth it. Fun game, please let me play you.

This is why you build a small shack, put a chest in it and dump your poo poo at the end of the night. I built mine early yesterday, and now every time I log out I just dump all my crap, run outside and punch the first dinosaur I see then hit Exit Game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Can server 40 group start using LLJK mumble, or goonfleet gaming mumble. The king of the lovely mumble servers has crashed (again).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

lilspooky posted:

Nothing in those taming tables or taming calculators is in any way shape or form accurate to in game.

Edit: On the subject of balancing, I have a feeling a coming problem will eventually be the way you can up your stats. In a PVP server you're pretty much sset by dumping the vast majority of your points into HP and sprinkling the rest around. This is gonna eventually lead to a pretty dumb degree of overly difficult people to kill somewhere down the road.

Yeah it took us about 2 hours to tame a 28 spino this morning.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
RIP: the Argentavis I was taming. Level 29, then a goon left clicked while everyone was packed around to get the dossier entry.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Then got the spino caught in the spikes and killed that too

We lost some raptors too.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jestest posted:

I paid my bird debt!

Yeah, but now we need another lady meat truck.

EDIT: Gather round goons, it's story time, a story that tells you "You should buy this game." Sunday morning we had found a spinosaur with decent level and coloration and decided "Yes this must be tamed." due to a paucity of goons with actual base building vision on this lead to a rash of goons deciding to help out in gathering meat for said spino so it could be tamed quickly. So we sally fourth upon a total of three T-Rexes and another spino, thus begins a herbivore Armageddon that we won't see the like of till a meteor comes down and crushes the island.

While on the way I run across a pair of level 5 naked newbies, without a shred of common sense they run up to the T-Rex named "Goon Betrayal" and start yelling how cool it is over local voice chat. Deciding to preen a bit I let off the T-Rex roar which freaks them out and sends them scattering. They then run back and yell "That was awesome!" Then I eat them while they scream in terror. I am out here for meat after all.

Forward to the dino slaughter, our Spino Meat Truck is in peril! He has been attacked by a pubbie riding a T-Rex and people with tranq arrows inside of a base. These fucks are attacking us? We own this server! (Note: We shall ignore the fact that Meat Truck was giving their base a little nibble because no rent had been paid). A flying wedge of T-Rexes goes flying to his aid and plows through the pubbie base destroying everything while they shriek on local voice coms about "Fair play" and how we had destroyed days worth of work. The base owners girlfriend says she is reporting us to the admins. Good luck with that lady. EDIT: I forgot to mention, one of our fliers plucked one of the guys off the base and started singing "A whole new world" to him right before dropping him to his death.

We then finish up taming lady meat truck only for her to die on our own bases spikes 8 hours later. Goons bad.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

Medium and large plots are the only way to grow Longrass and Savoroot required to make the unlimited oxygen chowder, so they are critical if you ever want to farm pearls in the future.

Question: How are you guys keeping your Mammoths and Brontos safe from Argent attacks while you are offline? It seems like the only way to defend against birds at night is to use auto-turrets. We have a very advanced metal base, behemoth gates, multiple Trexes and Spinos, an electrical power grid... the works. Last night we lost all of our raptors, scorpions, dilos and Mammoths to what I assume was 1 guy flying a bird. He probably picked up the small dinos and dropped them in the ocean, and picked apart the mammoth with melee attacks since the mammoth can't defend itself from an attack from the air.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a giant metal aircraft hanger to store all the dinos in at night while we sleep, and I hate to think of how much metal and cement paste that would cost.

Right now? Not much you can do except have a big tribe with timezone coverage. The way you do it if you have people on is hop on your own flier and yank him off his saddle and drop him next to a rex that someone is riding. Alternatively if that's not an option hit him with tranq arrows and bring his bird down to where your aggressive dino's can bite.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

In the case of 40, it is because no one else has a bird but us. Every time a tribe is found with flyers, they get immediately raided.

Playing on servers with goons is the worst if you are a pubbie.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Right now the defense against any dinosaur with a rider is really another dino with a rider. It's a bit unbalanced since air dominates air and ground. But it's also alpha, and supposedly we're only on the first revision on what you'll be able to do on dinos. I've heard rumors of building stuff on the larger ones.

Also I'm sure the HP bloat will be dealt with at some level.

EDIT: I've heard tranq arrows are pretty loving nasty vs tamed dinos. Someone should test with a flier.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah I've been trying to get on this server for a solid 45 minutes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Since it seems the XP from notes has been reduced(as well as a few other recipes) what are some recommended goods to powerlevel through crafting? Narcotics are still 2 XP, but I can never find narcoberries quickly enough to make it a viable method.

edit - Any options if you can't build trike saddles yet? Is the para a decent interim harvester, or should I stick with picking berries by hand?

Hand picking. Just make a trike/stego priority.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Efexeye posted:

The auto-queue is useless for a game this popular. You're better off trying to join manually.

I'm going to auto-queue a half hour before I leave work. Chrome remote desktop is great.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

The pain and suffering brought on by farming materials to build 2 auto-turrets, a power grid and 200 rounds of ammo has finally paid off. I was feeding all my dinos like normal and was startled by the sound of the auto-turrets giving their 2 second warning, followed by about a dozen gunshots. Some random pubbie flew over me on a low level Pteradon and both were quickly dispatched. Worth every hour of grinding.

I won't be happy unless gooncave has a half dozen of these covering our main entry points.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've been having dead stegos decide to go back to their home planet all day.

Having to chase down the dead bronto I killed is always entertaining as it's tail and neck begin to flap majestically and it takes to the skies.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Welp, this is like the fourth or fifth day in a row now I've logged in to find myself either naked or dead with all my work from the last day done.

There was just a server reset but people are already running around with t-rexes and C4 happy to wreck other people's poo poo.

I really like most of this game but the fact that your character just lays there undefended if you log out for even a few hours is probably going to kill this game for me pretty quick. I have a job and even if I didn't I don't want to play the same game 24/7.

Problem is if I join the goon clan its not going to feel like I'm making as much progress, I'll just be another cog in the machine. But if I play on a private server then it'll just be me and my few friends, nobody to fight with.

They really need something in between, like PvP-light server rules, where you can log out and be safe and keep your inventory, but where otherwise things work the same as they do now.
Having to scrounge up the materials to make a torch when you've been stripped naked is just not any kind of fun. I don't mind people knocking down my bases so much but taking literally all of my hard-earned items, my blueprints, poo poo like that.... its just killing my drive to pay this game. Anything I do will just be gone the next day, except for experience.

Most of those people with rexes and C4 are part of a team, while you studiously avoid joining one. Enjoy getting wrecked I guess? Also if you can't get yourself back off the ground with basic kit before even leaving the beach you are playing this game drastically different than the way I do.

If I respawn at a beach, less than 15 minutes later I'll have a few spears, a pick, an axe, a bow a dozen arrows a torch and probably a pocket full of berries.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I saw this game on a stream today and it looked pretty fun. My PC meets the minimum specs according to one of those online checkers, but I read the game has performance issues. Can anyone tell me if my toaster is okay:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 755MHz (10-10-10-27)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155)
ASUS PB238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
932GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 ATA Device (SATA)

You are playing on virtually the same PC I am. Only I have a SSD, which makes the initial load faster.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kaxman posted:

You can probably harvest these invisible rocks then. I notice that my first swing at something almost always misses, client-side, but I still get resources. I'm just losing a little bit of time to the swing timer, because whiffing has a longer timer than hitting something.

You can. I got the bug last night and simply couldn't extricate myself from the rocks. So I pulled out the pick and "Mined air" till I escaped.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TeeMerk posted:

I think I am going to set up on some new servers today, scout them out like nightwisher did for 82. It does get stale once you have 'beaten' a server. Not having the fear factor when playing a survival game and all.

Levels don't really matter too much since part of the fun is wrecking level 65's poo poo with a bunch of lvl 10-20s, it is part of what produces the tears.

e: also Alpha game and everything will be wiped at some point anyway, might as well conquer as many servers as we can.

Apparently we have 18 angry chinese outside of our base right now giving us a good stomping.

The fear factor has little to do with organized tribes to oppress you. It goes away when your situational awareness adjusts to the curve. I've yet to be killed by another player (that wasn't fixing the login bug for me, or goons just being dumb). And I rarely get killed by dinos either.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shadefyre posted:

So, I haven't been playing since the server move, I was wondering if any of the goon commune have banded together to take on one of the obelisk bosses in between dominating the locals? Or are any of those actually in game yet (like the Broodmother)?

There's no point to taking them on at the moment. Also broodmother is the only one that exists so far.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Stephen posted:

Taming the broodmother is apparently a thing. That sounds pretty goddamn fun.

Not on public pvp servers it isn't.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Yikes. Okay, I will make a roof.

Yeah, you need one. Some dude took a potshot at my argy as I was passing over his river base. I filled that fucker up with dilos/raptors/scorpions.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kedo posted:

What level of granular control do you have over resource gathering rates when setting up a server? The 2x one I'm on right now is great for taming and manual harvesting, but if you hop on a trike and start hitting bushes you'll fill up your dino's inventory in 30 seconds (which is convenient, but makes keeping a large number of tamed herbivores and narc production hilariously easy).

It's already hilariously easy if you have a dino. I mean I can crank out a few hundred nark in a half hour.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azhais posted:

So is there a convenient "what can my tamed dinosaur kill" type guide out there? I'm always terrified of losing tamed mounts because I just don't have uninterrupted hours to replace them most of the time so I tend to be a big coward. Like I've got a 38 raptor, what should I realistically be afraid of and what is just a meat pinata?

Kill anything up to rexes/brontos. Once you get a sabre you basically become a monster.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

This game has officially been worth the price for me.

Getting locked in the Chinese base during that raid was close, but this is amazing.

The most yakkity sax moment in the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Thank god they didn't have traps implemented yet.

I legitimately thought I was going to hack up a lung when you guys were explaining how you got locked inside.

"Well you see she ran outside of her base and ran around it and we chased her, she ran inside her base and we followed then she slammed the door and now we're stuck in here."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CBN_Shaggy posted:

I've lost 3 scorps due to invisible river whirlpools. The last time the water wasn't deep enough to drown it, but within 2 minutes it had died on its own as I was trying to figure out what was going on and if I could force him out. Since it just died, I'm guessing it got tagged by that new anti-exploit code if it's actually getting stuck in the world geometry.

More likely you are getting the resource bug and it's stuck on an invisible rock.

turtlecrunch posted:

Does anyone know the fastest way I could destroy all the abandoned stone and metal structures blocking resources everywhere?

IED's for metal, grenades for stone. It's going to suck.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 27, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Sooooo what happened now?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

That's why you build yourself a house and keep some torches in a box there, or just do what I do and afk whenever night rolls around. :v:

Or do what everyone else does and turn gamma to 1.5 and you can see fine at night provided you aren't balls deep in some trees.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Revol posted:

It isn't meant to be fought like that. It is meant to be fought with a team, or while riding a mount.

What Revol said. This game is stupid hard on foot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Play on a 3-5x taming server and have fun.

Or just make kibble and don't tame poo poo till you can do a kibble tame.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

You have to tame things to make kibble and you need oil and in some cases prime meat to do it.

Are you really complaining about the two easiest to get ingredients? And no you can wild egg hunt. I had about 15 bronto eggs I picked from the beach till I "Loaned" them to someone.

Point in case my stupid base is overflowing with oil. Someone find me stone, it's the only thing I'm constantly suffering to get.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

quote:

* Replacing Structures doesn't do obstruction checks anymore (no more failures to replace)

poo poo yes. I had aborted an upgrade to metal because of this poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dox023 posted:

I was able to kill a L80 Alpha Rex on Official 82 with my rex and one argent assisting. It took longer to get to the alpha rex than the 3 minutes or so it took to kill the thing.

They must have had poorly tamed dinos, or just didn't know where to stick their stats or something. I'm pretty sure any of the difficultly 3.0 rexes or higher can flat out just solo the alpha.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

Man, checking into this game every 2-3 weeks is so crazy. So many things change, new dinos, new dangers, new tools and neat updates. I'm a bit worried about their 'no wipe' stance as even for full release, they haven't mentioned anything about wipes. I hope they won't just release 1,000 new servers and spread people around too much, or have new people joining servers with lvl 500 Argents and Rexes waiting on the beach for them to spawn.

Or just our one guy in a sarco. FYI: Running away from a sarco into the water is generally a bad idea.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I think not wiping at least one more time would be a giant mistake but the playerbase is really invested and believes the devs when they say they won't wipe again (a year out? come on)

As much as it makes my sphincter cringe up to think about it, a wipe wouldn't be bad. Server populations shifted heavily after the last wipe (Two days after we abandoned 40 it was full again) as people seek greener pastures now that they weren't tied to the tamed dodos that whatever megaclan was on their last server deigned to let them keep.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azhais posted:

I, too, enjoy sitting around with my thumb up my rear end for 12 hours while a rex tames only to have it killed by ants at the last second.

If it takes you more than 3 you are doing it wrong. And a clever goon can get it to about 1:30.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nahrix posted:

You lure the Rex to your base, and tame it in a pre-built taming pen where it can be safe, returning to it to fill it up on narco + meat every now and again , while you play the game normally in the meantime.

Most of the complaints about the official server "grinds" and their consequences are just failures to think critically about the problem.

You put a fridge or two in the taming pen. When the rex gets about halfway starved you go alpha raptor hunting and put the prime in the fridge. At 500 food you mass dump the prime into the rex. Blammo. 3 hour tame.

Alternatively you wait till you have kibble to tame and get a 1.5 hour tame.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jestest posted:

now stop saying server numbers. this isn't PGS.

*looks at the OP*

A bit late for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

Welp, the stories I'm hearing on steam/reddit is as I feared. The monkey requires too much baby sitting with no middle ground between junk food (berry/raw meat) and kibble. If there was a prime, it would be tedious, but not to this level. This guy seems to be running around the same times as trikes or stegos. However, you have to baby sit those hours by tossing it a berry every few minutes while tiptoeing around its agro radius. I hope you have a full day set aside if you plan to tame a 120. Particularly without kibble. Kibble would bring it to 2 hours, but there is still the babysitting.

gently caress. That.