Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The flyer nerf definitely bums me out as an almost exclusively single player guy. I played for the first few months after early access began, and birds were flying death machines. I stopped playing until like 2 months ago, came back for like 2 weeks and they had been completely neutered in both damage and flight speed (it seemed like at least). They were still super useful for getting around and farming, but crazy slow to kill with.

I was thinking about loading back up this week so checked the thread, but if it is EVEN SLOWER to get around now, I am not sure that I want to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. They used to wreck my poo poo, and they LOVED to spawn like 5 of them along my section of the beach. Once I hit 20, I just built a stone foundation, 4 walls and a roof with a ladder, then stood up top and shot them until they ran away forever. They would tear through wood, but they couldn't do poo poo to stone.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I set mine up like two months ago, and a buddy recommended Survival Servers. https://survivalservers.com

They've been perfect. You can get a pretty cheap small player cap server (I have a 10 person server for $16/month). All server options are well-laid out, easy to find, and take effect immediately upon restart, which takes maybe 5 minutes. Server performance has been without a single issue.

I don't know if there are other options as good, or somehow better, but they've had literally everything that I could conceive to want.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You can change where your server is hosted out of to LA or Seattle if you want closer hosting through Survival.

Setup whatever ruleset you want, it's crazy easy. Unless you are saying that you checked out Survival and the options you want aren't there, in which case I can't help, sorry. It's the only server host I've used.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Seems to be. Looks like you just put a list of mod steam IDs into a field and it loads them up. I haven't messed around with any though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have more info on:

"- Rebalanced speed gained per tamed level up on all dinos."

?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just hopped back into this to gently caress around for a few weeks. Once I get a decent stable of dinos it won't be a problem obviously, but have they STILL never put in a solution for mass spoiling meat?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh snap. Is Split All an option on right click now?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
About time, awesome!

I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to, so I am running solo with XP and harvest cranked way up, and tame time turned wayyy down. I'm fine dicking around on my own, but are any of the end game options soloable at all? I saw there are easy versions of bosses but assume those are still intended for groups, yeah?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Coming back to mess around for a few weeks again. Is Aberration worth picking up at this point? I've played the poo poo out of The Island, Ragnarok and The Center. Any other maps worth checking out?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am not a fan of harsh temp mechanics, so avoided the poo poo out of Scorched Earth. I might turn off/down the stuff in Aberration if it's too much of a pain. Extinction actually looks pretty interesting. Will check it out more. Any idea if I need to buy Aberration to run Extinction?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Loaded up Aberration, and holy poo poo it looks cool already. Unfortunately, even in the "Easy" starting area I am surrounded by Scorpions and a giant basilisk, and termites. Soooooo..... Spending a lot of time unconscious/dead.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Abberation is loving incredible. I loved it. I would have given up on Ark by now if not for the really high quality of Abberation, and as a result I am pumped for the next xpac. Abberation doesn't have Scorched Earth-esque mechanics, but there are areas of the map that require a hazmat suit to travel in. My biggest issue with Abberation is that the areas that require the hazmat suits are not obvious, or at least they weren't at launch. I also played Abberation before they (maybe?) hosed up the glider and the climbing picks, so if I were to ever start a new game in Abberation I would make those two items as painless to get and use as possible. As in, infinite durability on both.

For reference, I thought Ragnorak was fun at first but eventually began showing its shitiness, and now I dislike that map.

Thanks for the Aberration rec! loving loving it, even if it is kicking my rear end. I'm not spoiling it for myself at all by like, searching for resource and dino info on the wiki, so it's actually like exploring fresh all over again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I loved almost everything about Aberration. I should really load it back up. Any idea what the server setting would be to turn off Nameless? Is that even possible? The whole light/nameless mechanic was the only big thing I hated about it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I was going to reinstall this and mess around for a few days, but holy poo poo. It's telling me the install is 158GB. I really do not feel like freeing up space just to gently caress around a little.

Is that for just the base game, or Aberration, Ragnarok and The Center which is showing as DLC I have? Is there a way to customize the install so it's not so loving massive?

Edit: People are saying that if you click install, but then uncheck the DLC it takes up less space, but Steam won't even let me click the install button on it unless I have 158GB free, so passing on this probably.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Y'all really got me wanting to play Ark again, but I really don't feel like having to install another hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry, didn’t mean to start a derail on this level.

Ark’s space requirements are really dumb, but relatively easily surmountable.

I already got another 500Gb SSD, but I did a dumb thing and got a full tower, and built it into a media center. To install the drive requires removal of 8 screws, lifting the PC out, then doing a typical install, then putting it all back in.

After a 10 hour day at a physically-demanding job, I just never feel like bothering.

The things preventing me from playing Ark at this point are almost all self-inflicted, or my own laziness.