Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Looking forward to hopping on and getting eaten by dinosaurs with goons later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

Do you mean utah raptors? Or the little dilos? Cause those utah must take hours to tame

We did try to tame one of those big crocodile things, and that was taking ages. The meat was spoiling faster than the taming bar was ticking up, so you really need the prime meat for the big guys.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

nightwisher posted:

t-rexs are loving baddass, we tried to get one killed by luring it to brontos, trikes and raptors.

he hosed them all up and kept going

I'm telling you, the albinism made it 300% stronger.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Trying to figure out why I keep dying after logging out in the goonhouse overnight/during the workday. Top off on food/water before I quit out each time. Is it just random game fuckery?

Also where the hell do you get metal from? About to have those tool engrams unlocked.

It might also have something to do with the fact that goons having been draining some blood off of sleeping goons, which may make you die to elements faster.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
So, at some point when we're higher level, we'll have to get together and build a roaming Plesiosaur sea battlebase, right?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Tonight a nemesis was born, as the Khaos clan laid waste to Jurassic Ark. All of our dinosaurs, and one thatch tower, were sacrificed in the battle. In the end, with dozens of goons dead, we drove them back and made them pay a small price for their attack. Their base now lays mostly abandoned, save for a mysterious metal building. Our foes were stronger and better equipped, capable of attacking from the skies with winged predators. But they will return, and we will need to be ready, with rifles in hand and wings of our own.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Thanks for the info. This of course opens up more questions.

On the metal thing, I take it a metal pick require metal to make? So is it a catch-22 or can you obtain it other ways? Also the rocks in the mountains, do they look different or is it like other rocks?

How do you explore underwater caves? Turtle or meg? Do you guys up your oxygen levels?

You don't actually need a metal pick to mine metal, a stone one works to get enough for a metal one. Also, you can apparently find metal rocks in and around rivers, or at least in the river at the base of the mountain near goon base. They're smaller, and sort of a metallic black color. If you get flint from a rock, it's not a metal rock.

Also, I heard tell that there's apparently good poo poo on the reefs in the ocean as well? Has anyone tried braving the seas yet? I'd be down to try taming one of the suchos again now that I know how.

And do cave systems only have one entrance each?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
News from the Dev Twitter:

"Mod Tools incoming tonight! Also you can look forward to the ARK-Wide Jurassic Events starting Tuesday! #playARK"

Is this the time for goons to take over the events?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Why not just build into the cave on goon island? Yes, it stops the spawns there, but it's the most secure location. Multiple checkpoints through the cave means that, since they can't bring big dinos in to do the heavy lifting, they have to have the resources to destroy a bunch of sets of walls. All of our stockpiles and valuable resources can be kept secure towards the end.

At least one person argued that doing the above might be an issue, since the lack of spawns means that there wouldn't be much to do in the area. Bored goons wander off, no one is defending the area. This is all true, but I think it might be a good thing. If we confine building to the cave, no one else has any way of seeing us from the air or how we've got our stuff set up. Lack of things to do means less foot traffic, which makes it less obvious that we're based in the cave. Instead, we set of the main activity hub in the cliff area where we are now. We can concentrate all our disposable resources and congregate there, go off down in the coasts or inland to do whatever. Thus, from the outside, it looks like our main base is right there. What we can actually do, though, is organize flights or crossings to the island to move our important resources and keep building up the cave.

And yet, somehow (presumably) those Khaos guys just happened to find our little cave base, despite it being completely unnoticeable from the air. Which is a little suspicious.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

TwatHammer posted:

I can guarantee chat is going to be salty as poo poo for the next few days. Or untill the whiny pissbabys decide to jump ship.

That same Bob guy was trying to find you tonight for some other plot.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
So, I haven't been playing since the server move, I was wondering if any of the goon commune have banded together to take on one of the obelisk bosses in between dominating the locals? Or are any of those actually in game yet (like the Broodmother)?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Stephen posted:

Taming the broodmother is apparently a thing. That sounds pretty goddamn fun.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was just some server command fuckery that someone was sharing around screenshots of.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
What I want to know about the build-able saddle platforms is whether you'll be able to slap a shack full of beds up there, and turn a bronto/nessie into a mobile spawn point for raids and such.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Ok, these devs are getting a bit obnoxious with their dino specialties.

Check out the newest dino to be announced, the Hesperornis:

Well the squid is also going to produce oil, so this is likely to fill in as a lower level tame with the same purpose but a lower/slower payout.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Honestly this guy seems way more specialized, since he's essentially just an EXP buff for you and your other tames.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I'm curious about the mention of vehicles, like the buggy they mention in the future patches thread. I kind of picture that in the future, you'll have Mad Max style vehicle tribes duking it out with carno riders and such, though of course ground vehicles would be useless on the current map. Also interesting to those ruins, wonder if they'll plop those into the map in future to make the map a bit more interesting.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Anyone growing the organic turrets yet? I'm curious how they stack up to the auto turrets. I'd assume they're not nearly as good, but if you don't need to give them ammo then you could probably just grow them everywhere that isn't worth putting a turret. I'm guessing that since they're on a crop plot they'll need an irrigation source like regular crops.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure they're in the supply crates inside caves, so you aren't just going to stumble upon one wandering around. You'll have to grind a bit to fight in there and get one.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Is there a good reason the compound bow is higher on the tech tree than assault rifles, sentry guns, and rocket launchers? Especially since it sounds like it's not even that much better than the crossbow, and worse without the metal arrows. Is the armor piercing really that much of an advantage over bullets?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
This may seem like a silly question, but how do you build a dino pen? Would it just be a dino gate plus fence foundations and walls/ceilings? In the time I've played this I've pretty much never tamed a mount of my own, so now that I'm making an effort I'd like somewhere to stick it.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

I've got a pretty beefy system and there's some times where the game loses frames pretty noticeably. Does anyone have a recommended guide or something on how to optimize your settings?

I just found out that I should be using the launch options -useallavailablecores -sm4 and it's definitely given me a noticeable boost to a more consistently stable framerate.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
No mention of the war paint being put in too? I was hoping to see some raptors with racing stripes, or a base bronto painted all black for night attacks.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Oh boy, ride-able horrible spitting centipedes! With acid blood that melts your weapons!

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Mederlock posted:

There's nothing they could really do that wouldn't be game breaking or easily exploitable, unless yeah, you do seize timers. But as Eve has shown, if the two sides in a conflict are in wildly different time zones, one of them is going to end up being screwed by it regardless.

The kind of people who bitch about this should just play on private or PvE servers, if all they want to do is build their spergopolis' and play dino Pokemon. They should look at adding some sort of mutual intent duelling system to PVE servers though.

The problem with a lot of the people who cry about this is that they want to be able to kill people freely, but also want an indestructible base to store stuff in so they don't lose anything they weren't willing to lose. It's like people want their base to despawn while they're offline or something so they can engage in chivalrous 1v1 PVP when they're online.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Patch notes also said that dimos lay eggs now, did they not before? And if so, do they have a kibble yet for the dires/megas?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I was kinda hoping you could Yoshi people with the frog like some sort of land ptera, with the legs sticking out and all.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Ding Ding Ding.

New additions to 219:

And now we know why the birds got a buff.

As someone who has never fired a gun in ARK, I'm curious whether this makes shotguns worthwhile now? I'd imagine that the two changes make them pretty good for blasting birds that grab you at point blank, but I remember people saying they were pretty pointless before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
The new map is kinda giving me the urge to come back to ARK for a bit.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473850/