Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Doedicurus is absolutely not an off road vehicle for mountains, they're sweet as hell and good at their job but clippy abominations that are terrifying to work with at any height. They're basically daleks. D-, do not go fast and would not wear a doedicurus medallion close to my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nahrix posted:

It would be nice if you could roll your doedicurus into a ball to be lifted by an argent. Ferrying stone back and forth is effectively the same thing anyways, and you'd keep the intended mechanic of being unable to lift the doedicurus in a PvP scenario.
That'd be amazing and fun as hell. Rolling in one is fun as hell and they are absolute dancers for mining, its just that the poor fuckers seem to have the same floor clearance as a roomba.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
If they didn't want me to make my t-rex fly in the air like a bird they shouldn't have put mountains everywhere.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Revol posted:

I've played heavily on both 82 and 360 and I've never experienced a player who used external hacks.
I think we're all just dripping with sarcasm at this point revol.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Zotix, honest to god man, you sound like you're from the steam forums, stop. If a conversation hadn't have sprouted from this I'd have otherwise thought you copy pasted that original post to show how stupid and angry people get on there when they suck. Chill out, theres no epidemic, hell hackers are monetarily compensated to come clean, and I haven't encountered anything hacky on 82 nor 360 unless you count exploiting the wonky AI of some dinos. Jump on one of those two. This game loving rules.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

In trying to figure out how to do the barrel roll, I mashed all the usual suspects of buttons.

Including E. While a billion feet up in the air.

Don't hit E.

Yeah E opens doors. while also accessing inventory. Its also the jump off button. E is the worst.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

So with scuba gear now available, is there any non-gimmick build reason to put points into O2? Melee damage also seems less desirable given the availability of harvester dinos for every resource(and more coming in the future). Is something like 150 weight/150 stamina/500 HP going to be the ideal build now?

I have literally met one person ever who wanted to level up oxygen and he wanted to be a full rp pirate on the seven seas. In a game about an island with dinosaurs where you can put a saddle on a shark thats not totally retarded, but its a close contender. gently caress 02.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Azhais posted:

Still useless
I bet Aquaman gets this poo poo from Justice League any time he tries to sound useful. :allears:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Azhais posted:

Anything with a knockback can kill alpha raptors and carnos trivially, so just tame a trike

I saw some post somewhere saying that there's a glitch where just crouching means raptors/alpha raptors simply can't hit you. It may just be a troll to see how many players get eaten by dinosaurs while looking like they're taking a poo poo though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The island is small when you can fast travel or take crazy fast mounts around it. Solo the game on a pvp (but seriously, dont solo this game, thats 1/100th of the fun) with the element of risk while travelling, combined with just orientating yourself, It is huge. Lets split the difference and call it moderately big enough to hide 70 players in.

I'd like a GTA comparison in map size if anyone can produce it. I doubt its even as big as vice city but if you're not high level it can FEEL really big.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they couldn't pick people up and drop them for an easy kill. Parachutes not always working, and the burd beung able to pick you up again from the parachute make this even worse. Pretty soon we will apparently have flying mounts with buildable saddles soo....it will get worse.

I'm going to correct both of you and say that yes giant bird creatures should totally be able to pick you up off the ground and throw you off cliffs. My reasoning for this conclusion is because that is pretty awesome.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Still curious if they plan on having the dinos actually gently caress like in that devkit leak.
Not implementing animal loving animations is all that separates Ark from Second Life.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MrDewitt posted:

They also figured out that it takes around 40 hours for a raptor to mature completely. It's almost twice as long as taming a 120 Quetz with raw meat.

That's loving hilarious! I keep forgetting this is a crappy early stage game because they make it so polished.

To be fair to the devs, this particular thing aside, I think they've been buffing and nerfing excellently and at breakneck speed and game changers keep happening monthly. I almost don't want to see this game ever reach the shelves because after that'd they'd lose their stamina and it'd be left in limbo with only a few vague tweaks or dlcs. This is the first early access game I've felt I've got an awesome deal on and not only that, want it to remain early access. For anyone who hasn't played this game I would like to emphasize that not only can you tame a T-Rex, but you can tame a brontosaurus and install a siege tower on its back. Its ambitious to the point of star citizen, but delivers randomly awesome things without promising or selling thousand dollar jpgs. Hail Jat.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I'm back to enjoying ark again! This thing feels miles more optimized which is why I stopped playing in the first place. Its still clunky and the combat still feels more like some rpg game than an FPS survival game but it is cool and good and even on the ~100 day long server I'm on I can see the political intrigue side starting! Server traffic is ridiculous and I still contend with stupid poo poo like defeating dinos with their poor pathfinding as my main weapon. At what level of play do the DLCs become must have stuff? I left just around the time they put out the infamous early access dlc so haven't much of a clue how that tech and stuff interacts with other servers.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Archonex posted:

So are goons on a server somewhere still? Or are we spread out where ever? I want to get back into this but fuuuuuuuuuck playing solo. It's an exercise in masochism.

There's a DEA thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827081

E: also, the foreign legion stuff was the best part of it, nothing wrong with being spread out. Goons are far too good at being coordinated in this game, main servers just stagnate and turn into minecraft once they get oppressed by DEA, at least that's the way it was last time I played.

wit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 6, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Och Im a dipshit and I always mouseover spoilers.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Putty posted:

These black boxes are singleplayer right? Do you have to play pure vanilla or can you change stuff like taming speed and the other monotonous crap for story elements ?

Pretty sure you can just look up the explorer diary locations on some wiki and tree punch your way to them naked if you so desire.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Useless poo poo I learned: Going around in god mode to read the dino dossiers gives you the items. They're attached to the cheevos not the mode, my life is a lie.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
So from the new area released on Ragnarok, its multilayered desert area where the top is scorching hot but underneath in the cracks its all trees and rivers and stuff. I'm guessing they'll be using Ragnarok for a while as the melting pot of all the DLCs which is cool and good as hell, but it will also mean Rag wont be finished any time before the next expansion. If they're giving each type of terrain even share the aberration stuff will take the middle. I hope to christ they work out the bugs soon because i've seen 2 flying penis horses and several deep swimming dilos. Area looks so easy to raid even with existing kit from a bird but top is flat enough to build on on top.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gunder posted:

The creators of Ragnarok recently said that they'd mine Aberration for nice looking rock assets etc, but they wouldn't be implementing any new mechanics or biomes that Aberration might have. I guess they want to protect the brand new DLC against being redundant almost immediately. Looks like someone else will have to make another master map that includes all the Aberration stuff as well. (Probably just before a new piece of DLC launches with brand new stuff which that map wont have either, for the same reasons :v:)

Odd, but there's definitely going to be at least some kind of utility of the Aberration stuff on that part of the map. Its a little underground cave biome with ceilings but you can't survive long on the surface. If its not going to be a service to the new dlc its a good impression of it. The carno to herbivore ratio feels like a medium spawn, but unless they add a new resource I can't see any strategic advantage of settling in what's essentially a beach with a hat.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bloopsy posted:

I'll be moving on then.

Ok, gently caress the tech, anecdotal specs time.
Its not as spazzy as people talk if you're realistic. I bought a gaming rig last year - a budget one, assembled aka made for games to run on ultra 3 years ago plus probably 75% idiot tax - for like a grand in pounds. It runs it at medium settings perfect, high if I solo. So if you spent more than that in the last 5 years it'll run. And if you're playing it you will never play it on super pretty settings. You'll run with goons at lower settings, because if you render trees first while flying through the air then you can't see pubbies to bully and you'll be told to downgrade your settings even if you have a space age computer. My old rig could run watchdogs as the sad, sad reason i bought it. This at medium ran well and I had fun. It has been optimized, but never run it at the best quality. If you run it at anything over medium (as no streams or youtube videos do) you're at a disadvantage.

Its as optimized as second life when it was a thing was, they just added sliders like them and said sure its super real. They don't care if it cooks you hotter than the sun. Run medium, where you can see people, where you can shoot fuckers almost like an fps. It looks great too.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

You Am I posted:

There's an awesome bug where you can spawn on anyone's bed (273.62). Of course this has caused a massive shitstorm, as turrets don't seem to recognise non-tribe members when they spawn in on the bed.

Even if they fix the spawn on anyone's bed thing, that is very interesting to know about turret AI and what flags you in world as part of a tribe.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Siets posted:

I recently picked it up with this sale and decided to pass on the DLC bundle, figuring by the time I’ve gotten my fill of the base game the DLC might be on sale later. I think the sale lasts through tomorrow only though.

Well like, if you're playing with goons you can absolutely play on the main island forever and use the toys they bring back from the other arks. Haven't played in a while (will probably jump in again for abberation) but I expect all the servers are end game now and the gates are being guarded or blocked. Playing straight after the new server rollout, every server you played on the island that didn't have a coherent alpha always had at least one dick on a wyvern or griffin attacking beach bobs, so the dlc is kind of pay to win. That said, if you're playing without a tribe there is no win state. But its a satisfyingly unique experience of home invasion of its own. When playing solo even while at work I'd have little moments of fox news paranoia that some foreign fucker is breaking into my home and interfering with my avatar because I'm not there. Almost always well founded too. Can't sleep. Chinese will eat me. Can't sleep. Chinese will eat me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Yeah I've seen videos of stripmined bald islands, and heard of alpha tribes so obnoxious that their builds all over the island lag everyone within even slight draw distance. I kinda hoped that backend and pc's would have caught up with the scale of the game, but really ark's premise is let everyone do everything ever, see what happens.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've also heard stories of glitchy spawns out in the water with like hundreds of creatures

I know that when they were expanding Ragnarok the spawns were nuts.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

3 years after release, they finally got actual tracing and performance testing tools, and learned that no poo poo, having 500+ autoturrets and another 500 species X turrets all in render and running the AI logic every tick causes the server to completely poo poo itself. Like 500-700+ms per tick, just on that code. So yeah, server running at a generous 1-2 FPS would cause the server to lag like a son of a bitch.

So instead of coming out with a solution that supports the current 'huge metal box covered in 800 turrets' meta to defend against anyone with a steggo and a stack of C4 from wrecking your poo poo, they up and announce that any time more than 100 turrets are in render range of each-other will just stop working.

Like holy poo poo, it's not hard to have more than one kind of autogun with different strengths and balances, seriously.

Surely the smart thing would be any AI ploppables doing the same thing in range of something have a single AI rule and makes them just actors. You could even make it in world an give the guns a master computer or the plant x some kind of queen and you could make up rules for them. That AI would make sense for a lot of groups of the dinos wild and owned too. Someone comes into conflict with one and it takes over as its own thing maybe. Deffo with ploppables like plant x and guns. Sure there would be exploits found, but could they be any more stupid than hiding behind dropped indestructible item satchels or holding and pointing a dodo like its your hostage?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Siets posted:

I'm brand new to the game and still just getting a handle on how things work past stone tier, but I have to imagine there are going to be other solutions to the Steggo + C4 problem than just turrets? Just spitballing but:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive
-Extra wall layers / maze structures to increase the C4 requirement
-Strategic placement of rocket turrets

At a certain point, I don't really think a base should be able to automatically defend itself at all hours of the day with zero player interaction either. Unkillable alpha tribes indicate to me that once a server has become established, that's it - the game is over for that server. It discourages new players from wanting to join and try their luck. I don't see that as good gameplay design overall, but I've also never partaken in an end game raid so I don't really have a grasp on how realistic it is to truly overtake an existing alpha tribe.

These giant clusterfuck bases are clearly killing performance too. It's cool that goons have an insane empire, but it melts my GTX 1080 system down to an 8FPS slideshow of an experience. It's the only game where I can hear my GPU's fans while wearing my noise canceling headphones. Even outside the base there is constant rubber-banding with everything else on the map. Not saying turret nerfing is the only solution to this, far from it, but I am glad they are at least taking steps to address it.

I've seen the layered and honeycombed/maze designs before. You're absolutely right about the alpha tribes though. The only problem with the system is that its very realistic in that respect. On the other hand the hammer space of resources means that its nigh impossible for smaller tribes to band together and truly wipe anyone once they get to that point. Spent 6 hours in some last alliance of beach bobs of demolishing a wall? Oh its ok, that dude has half a city's worth of guns ammo and materials stuffed in his pet otter's arsehole, he just has to put them all back down instantly and its like nothing happened. I can't think of any fun way of balancing out cost and reward. There are too many moving parts within the scope of the game that tries to let you do everything to plug all the holes that determined min maxers poke in it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

I play this on a private server i run for my little brother. I had to set him up a private server because he was logging into the pve servers. And driving me absolutely nuts with his complaints about the animal garages that keep the servers at the tame caps and all that drama. Whats amusing is there isnt a way for the pve servers to clean that up, is there? Im listening to his bitching about it, and its coming across as a microcosm of American politics. As the poor and under class (those without any tames and prevented from getting tames by server cap) get prevented from performing any actions against those that ruin it for everyone (tame capped parking accounts) and if you complain, or listen to chat, its not the fault of people at their tame cap, its the fault of new players or the chinese. blaming poor and minorities. so amusing :allears:

Yeah I've found myself laughing at the fact that the game makes me worry like some 1940's newspaper about the yellow peril facing the server, they eat you in your sleep you know! Then espousing the trump solution, asking why the alpha's haven't built a wall yet. Its a 24 hour game in a world with 24 timezones. The only problem is that there's only ever room for political intrigue and diplomacy with people who play at overlapping times. There's as many people playing on the island on the reverse timezone that aren't playing the same game as you at all. Its kind of like I am Legend or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaVd6zl2bA.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Gate posted:

So, the Ragnarok update added the rest of the desert....and may have completely hosed the spawns in the big canyon area in the middle. It is now just Spinos on the private server I play on with friends. We don't have anything running that should really affect that, so I'm 90% sure that it's from this latest patch upping Spino spawns waaaaay too hard.

It's fantastic though. Culling hordes of spinos on a wyvern is a goddamn blast. :black101:
My guess is that spinos keep finding a place to go to the other level and the game keeps the top population topped up but they survive the fall because gently caress yeah spinos.

e: assuming the rag is now tweaked to consider top and bottom different biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Siets posted:

We tested and for some reason our chair survived multiple day night cycles. :unsmigghh:

Doing God's work Siets, with all those people underground, vampires could easily go undetected as a bob. Much like witch dunking, this is a fullproof test.