Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

finally started playing this. my friend and i play together and we have a sick stone castle coming together on that tall mountain in the south isles, the one with all the metal. we were about to head out to tame an argentavis and had to pass through the swamp

hours later, our net tally is: minus one each triceratops, pelagornis, and pteranadon, plus all their saddles; minus two complete sets of metal tools and weapons, one each sets of chitin and flak armor, plus the argentavis trap. and obviously no big bird.

gently caress the swamp. i hate the swamp forever. at least i am pretty sure i know where my corpse (with flak, the trap and a set of metal tools and weapons, plus a pelagornis saddle) is. bad news is it's on a tiny island accessible only from the air and swarming with snakes. i'm gonna airdrop in there with a shotgun and blast those boas back to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

valguero is great. It’s completely covered in ovis and has tons of beaver dams so it’s a lot easier to tame carnivores without tons of kibble and collect difficult-to-farm resources.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

It's got a lot of bioms to play with. I still have not ventured into the Abberation zone.

I do find it hard to get chitin on the map. The only place with lots of bugs is the dragon canyon. BUt there are lots of dead dolphins you can get teeth from to make cementing paste.

Oil is oddly scattered, and honestly, unless you want to be a complete dickhole, make the pumps unlocked.

there are like 6 beaver dams in the lake at any given time and each one has hundreds of paste.
best place for chitin is off karkinos in the emerald forest.
There’s basically nothing in the aberration zone (the actual radioactive part) worth mentioning

You can also get chitin from the wyvern trench but that is hardcore lategame

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I tamed my first yuty the other day. I’m on Valguero, where they spawn in the tundra biome (much more hospitable than the snow biome) and there are sheep everywhere for mutton. only difficulty is keeping them safe from wolves and Daeodon for the hour or so they need to sleep.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i have tons of fun playing with my wife and our friend, we're on valguero and we're gonna try the boss arena soon. once we beat it we're going to move on to ragnarok. ark is fun af when you can share the load.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I finally finished my water pen on valguero. There’s a lagoon on the south shore of the beach area that’s perfect, you can fence it off with a behemoth gate and then build stone jetties to seal it up using pillars and walls. It took some fiddly placement to get the gate down where I needed it but the result is I can go collect water tames now and I have a safe place to store them.

PS the underground ocean is very cool and good but also nerve wracking.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Nice. Was gonna try and tame a dolphin, but it accidentally beached itself. Was hugely bummed since I actually had the fish meat for it and needed something to farm Bio Toxin.

i grabbed a basil from the underwater ocean for that. the way we tame down there is we have a Death Squad of ten turtles, and they basically just tank whatever comes at us. they're surprisingly good in combat, too. the basil had a giant swarm of mantas around it, so i went in to suicide-feed it. the mantas basically instagibbed me, but my friend took control of the Death Squad and killed all the mantas, and by the time i got back the basil was just chilling by its lonesome. with yellow kibble it doesn't take too long to tame.

we have a boat kitted out for deep water exploration, with beds, a preserving bin to store kibble, platforms to shoot from, storage bins with everything we might need, etc. i feel a bit like earnest hemingway sitting on the back of a raft and shooting sharks with a crossbow. that's a hunter s thompson thing too, i guess. i'd have to get loaded on beer and narcoberries to get the real thompson experience.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I'm starting up a little farm for kibble. Just need the eggs now. Looking to tame one of those rear end in a top hat seagulls since they can guarantee drops of prime which will help a LOT for kibble production and regular taming until aids can sort things out. It's eggs that's loving me over so badly right now since most of the creatures that lay the eggs I need can only be tamed by the very eggs I'm trying to gather from them so it's a catch 22. Moschops is the exception, but that's a tricky as hell tame since it asks for such hard to gather items a lot.

if you're on valguero, good news! mutton is EVERYWHERE. honey is fairly common too, so you can make sweet vegetable cakes to tame and breed ovis.

if you're not on valguero, my suggestion is:
1) turtles are trivially easy to tame with berries and produce the eggs for regular kibble. this is used to tame a wide variety of extremely useful dinos, like anklyos, baryonyx, doedicurus, pteranodon, and sabertooths.
2) once you have a variety of the above you can get lots and lots of stone and metal and hide, this should solve your resource pinch for a while. when you're ready to move up to superior kibble, i think the best source of eggs is moschops (as you notice), tapejara (you can bola them out of the sky and tame them with meat) and possibly argentavis (these take a long time to tame with meat, but they're fairly easy to trap).
3) once you have the argie things REALLY open up. for one thing, it can abduct sheep and carry them off for either taming or slaughtering at leisure. it also produces eggs for superior kibble. with mutton, you can start taming rexes, which then give you all the big ol' eggs you need.
4) extraordinary kibble are a gigantic pain in the rear end on the Island. it's basically yutys or bust, and you can tame them with mutton, but they're a very advanced tame. on valguero, you can use deinonychus eggs, which are completely trivial to collect with any flyer and basically make the entire game easy mode (since extraordinary kibble replaces any lesser kind of kibble). on ragnarok and scorched earth and other maps with wyverns, you can steal a wyvern egg if you're fast enough with a pteranodon, and then either hatch it (if you have the milk) or use it to make extraordinary kibbles.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Finally took a try at the gamma bosses in Valguero. We got them, lost 8 rexes, but learned a lot.
1) don’t Leeroy Jenkins in there. Lure out the dragon first.
2) count your tames carefully so you don’t accidentally leave your yuty behind
3) make sure you keep track of who got the KBs so if that Dino dies you don’t lose the element you earned

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I just tamed my first Tuso after a few trial and error attempts. Cost me three turtles, would have only been two except after the squid was tamed a basil-swarm of manta showed up and gibbed my last bait turtle.

I was wondering how I’d pull it off. I found one wandering in the Valguero underground sea and got it to chase me on my basil. I led it all the way through the long tunnel to the southeast and then surfaced through the entrance there. The tunnel out is above the tuso’s height limit so it just gave up and circled the cul-de-sac at the end of the tunnel. I had my boat with pearls and turtles set up at the top of the exit tunnel and just periodically dropped one down the hole and fed the squid.

Now I’m just missing a Mosa and my aquatic creature checklist is complete. There is not too much to do with them on Valguero, but once I transfer them to another map I have an armada ready.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I hate Troodon...and Raptors, Sabers, and occasionally Direwolves too. All that aside, does anyone know of a good early way to farm Black Pearl's? I need them to tame a Tuso...so that I can farm even more. Kraken's Better Dino's makes it so Euryptids produce them passively, but only at about one pearls an hour it seems which is rough. And the taming process is iffy due to the basket needed being expensive to make.

What map?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

To be clear the reason I ask is on Valguero, the King of Maps, the underground ocean has black clams that provide black pearls. I usually get 150-200 per run.

Also riding on the back of a high level tuso makes me feel like an unkillable god even more than on the back of a wyvern or rex. You can just gently caress anything’s poo poo up. I haven’t run into an alpha tuso or mosa yet but anything else, you just grab and chew on, draining health all the while.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Valguero’s underwater ocean has a trench with crystal growths along both sides. Black clams near the crystals give pearls at a surprisingly generous rate. I can get 175 easy in a 25 minute run counting travel time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Got to the point where we can clear the Valguero arena on Gamma without losing a single dino. What’s the jump in difficulty between Gamma and Beta? I wanna take a crack at it, but given that our rexes were badly mangled by Gamma (one of my superstars survived with less than 400 hp remaining), I don’t think we’re quite ready yet.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

My rexes are mostly between 10k and 11k hp (trending towards the higher end of that range) and between 300% and 400% damage (averaging around 360).

Also, I want a tropeo. What's the process like? What made it so nuts?

Warmachine posted:

Also saddles. And how are you approaching the fight? I can regularly do no casualties if I can take out Dragon and Monkey separately, however the last attempt I made I lost 10 out of 17 rexes because the Monkey aggroed too early and was able to split my attention away from dragon.

Do not go far from the entrance until Dragon gets away from where the monkey is. Fighting both (or all 3 if the manticore wants to stay on the ground) at the same time is going to be painful.

I don't have any blueprints so all of my saddles are primitive, but I do go in with everyone saddled. And yes, we take down the dragon and monkey separately. Manticore is usually just an annoyance; once we take out the first two, unless we lost a bunch of rexes, Manticore goes down pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I’ve been breeding but I haven’t really gotten a handle on it yet. Is there a way to induce mutations? Or do you just hatch a ton of eggs until you get one with a bizarrely high HP or attack, then keep that one and toss the rest?