Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spanish Matlock posted:

Last time I actually played this on the valhalla server there were pvp nights and the rest of the time it was pve. It was a nice change of pace, and made for some interesting strategy. I remember running plesios back from where some dude had hidden all our stuff out in the deep ocean.

Yeah the purge system they have on the Official Valhalla server is pretty cool but it seems to take a lot of admin attention. A mod that did it automatically would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yay! Leeches. Another reason to stay the gently caress outta the swamp.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Chitin Engrams are not very useful, but you'll find Chitin blueprints far more often than flack blueprints, and blueprinted items are much better.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

charity rereg posted:

Being factorio players idk maybe we pretty quickly had flak stuff going once we got high enough level to craft it. Ragnarok isnt shy on metal, and even in The Island we had a base up on the North default (Hard) spawn getting metal for a bit.

I will probably pick the game up if it goes on sale (its been $10 before in April so I can't see why not) on Steam thursday, I don't want to wait for EGS to get its poo poo sorted out with mods. I already found a few community servers to try out.

The engram versions of gear only take a few resources to make. Good Blueprinted gear can take thousands of each resource to create.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Also, I have some thoughts on this after doing Alpha Monkey, Broodmother, and Alpha Valguero over the last week.

1) Saddles make or break boss attempts. Broodmother butchered my rexes with crappy saddles, causing a fail cascade as rexes with progressively better saddles had to take more damage and eventually die, reducing the DPS and making the remaining rexes take even more damage. For Valguero, I went in with way better saddles, and even though only 7 or 8 of my rexes actually made it in, the fight was a cakewalk. Which leads me to...
2) Make sure you have your tames crushed around the beacon. It's real fuckin awkward to get in, whistle attack, and realize you're half of your rexes short. Aside from saddles, the reason I was successful was...
3) Daeodons are your friend. Daeodons with a shitload of basic kibble because Dodos are cheap are your best friend. Your goal isn't to outheal the damage, but rather add enough EHP so that you don't start losing tames and forcing the rest of your tames to do more work.
4) Imprinting and mate boosting are a must. You get so much damage reduction out of this it isn't even funny, and less damage means fewer dead tames which means more DPS for longer.

It didn't hurt that my rexes have been mutated to hell and back. But like I said, not preparing materially and not having proper support (for me this is 2x Daeodon mate boosted and a Yuty) will get your tames killed.

If you’re on vulgaro you should get some of those feathered raptors that you have to steal their eggs to raise. Their bleed attacks eats up the broodmother since it does damage based on the targets health pool.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:popeye:

Now I want to try this with a lot of them... :zerg:

I used 7 or 8 of them to kill the broodmother guarding the spider cave on Valgaro, it was overkill, they devoured her in like 30 seconds.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

charity rereg posted:

edit: What does dino level actually do? Is a level 100 argentavis simply just better all around then a level 40 in the wild? I ask because it seems like some dinos I tamed at level 20 but are now level 70 are "better" than naturally occurring level 100s

This is something that isn't as obvious as I always thought, it really confused my friends who came from traditional RPGs.

Levels are not a universal comparison. Meaning a level 10 T-Rex is not equal to a level 10 Dodo. but a level 10 T-Rex is generally going to be a lot less powerful than a level 100 T-Rex.
Each dino has a set of base stats and gets an amount added to each stat when its selected for leveling up, wild dinos have their level ups assigned mostly randomly across all stats, so it's possible to have a wild dino that had all it's points assigned to Food and Oxygen and is generally garbage or one that spent all it's points on Damage and is a killing machine. Most often you get a dino that has it's points spread out across all stats somewhat evenly.
When you tame a dino and start applying levels to it, you can spend all the points on the most effective stats like Health, Stamina and Damage. So a Tame that's the same level as a wild dino is most often going to be significantly more effective.

If you want to get way into the weeds about dino stats and stuff look up some youtube videos about optimum breeding.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I feel like higher level wild dinos make the game easier not harder.
When you get a 100% tame it gives you 50% more levels, the difference between a 120 dino and a 180 dino is a lot less than the difference between a 300 dino and a 450 dino.

It does make it tougher to run around on foot, but this is a game about riding dinos around so why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Trilobites can be harvested for Black Pearls but not very many at a time.