Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
For people who can't get into servers, are you only looking at the official server list? There is an option in the lower left corner to look at unofficial servers and many of them have 20-40 players on them with a max of 70. I haven't really had any trouble finding a good server to play on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Making friends with your neighbors during the daylight and then raiding their village during the night might have been the most fun I've had in a sandbox game in a while. I spent way too much time building a large compound hidden in the dense forest between some mountains, which I fully expect to be destroyed when I log on later after work.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Has anyone figured out what berries correspond with what dinos when taming? So far they all seem to do the same, but people are swearing some like a specific berry more than others.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Does transfering your characters from server to server still delete them on the previous? I saw in the patch notes this was fixed but I havent heard doing it. Hell, I dont know how you actually transfer to another server to begin with.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

SweetBro posted:

Help me theory craft as to what happened to me beloved penetrator (trike). I setup a base on a cliff side and walled it off. In theory no should be able to get in, but if you try really hard I managed to sneak in there without using the door. Didn't have time to fix it so I set the Trike to "Murder poo poo". I return, Trike is gone. No body, and oddly enough nothing was looted. Dinos can't spawn due to foundation drops around the area. Is it possible it ran off the cliff? I normally have massive issues with getting the fucker up a steep hill. Any idea what happened to him? Although I'm sure he died doing what he loved: deeply excavating the anuses of my enemies with his horn.

Somebody saw your base and walked close to investigate, your trike tries to attack them through the wall. Due to poor collision detection, your trikes head or tail clips through the wall and can be killed if the player pumps enough arrows into him. They may not be able to break in, but they can absolutely kill your dinosaurs through the walls. I've been doing it a lot to troll players on my server.

Demiurge4 posted:

I went up into the mountains to farm some metal and made it home with 15. Found out it takes 2 metal per ingot and 10 ingots for a pike. Fuuuuuck that.

Supposedly the metal pickaxe is much better for finding metal. How many ingots does it take for a pickaxe?

It takes 1 ingot to make a pickaxe. Make sure you come home with at least 12 metals on your first trip to the mountains. 10 will be used to make your smithy bench and 2 to make the pick. After that, metal becomes extremely easy to mine since the pick will yield about 10 metal per rock. The problem is metal weighs 1.0 each so be sure you have a way to reliably transport lots of weight to and from your base.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2015

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

- Increased the yield of metal ore gained from metal-type rocks with non-metal tools by 3x.
-Increased the number of metal-bearing rocks in mountains/summits by a ton - hundreds and hundreds of rocks added.
- Mountain-rocks which yield metal now also yield Obsidian at a reduced rate. These got pushed back for now!

These changes are welcomed. My first trip to the mountains to mine metal was a grindy nightmare. It took literally 3 in-game days and nights to mine 12 metal with the stone pick while fighting off the cold, sabertooths and birds. Metal is going to be a huge bottleneck since massive amounts are required to build any sort of metal structures, so speeding up the gathering by adding more rocks is a good change, as long as they keep the cold climate and dangerous wildlife.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Jackard posted:

Shame we lost the base but to be honest the crazy plumbing and lovely building was driving me nuts

Does the plumbing actually work in this game? I have pipes leading from water, to a water tank, to 3 small crop pots and no matter what I do it says Non-irrigated and my narcoberry plants have yeilded maybe 30 berries over the course of 72 real hours. I really see zero point to crops with how fast a Trike can farm berries.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Megafunk posted:

Any ini/console tweaks to make this run better?

EDIT: Oh nuts of course that's on the top of the OP, sorry.

Press Tab and type Gamma 2 - 4, never need torches again.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

On a private 40 man server a friend and I managed to metal wall off the southern cave and establish a base inside with loads of storage and all the crafting benches one would need. We walled off both sides of the canyon, so the only way in is to either fall or fly down the very high rock face or through the metal dino gates. I have about a dozen trikes and scorpions inside the enclosure for combat and harvesting. Having an uncontested, unlimited supply of metal has been pretty awesome.

Now that mounts share 50% exp with their rider, I've found that going down into the caves and taming a pair of scorpions to use as combat mounts has been a nearly game-breaking way to level up. Since the scorpions are so strong and the snakes and spiders in the cave are so weak, I went from 40 to 46 in about 30 minutes, all the time farming metal and chitin. The only problem is the scorpions wont fit through the upper cave halls so they can never leave, and the wild scorpions do a pretty good job of poisoning and knocking your mounts out if you aren't careful.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Don't worry about heat/cold too much, it won't actually kill you. When you are hot you use up water faster, and when you are cold you eat food faster. As long as you have a decent supply of food and water it's no big deal.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Hunger/Thirst is basically tied into everything you do. The more active and labor intensive actions you do such as running and gathering (swinging tools) the more fuel you need to survive. If you look at the actual food and water icons on your HUD, when you do things like sprint and chop trees the icon flashes a pale white/green color. This means you are doing an action that lowers your hunger more than normal.

The same goes for your mounts when you get them. Raptors are amazing mounts and have high damage and crazy run speed, but they chew through food faster than any other dinosaur I've tamed. I've completely given up on raptors in favor of scorpions, until I can get to Carno levels.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Does anyone else have hell trying to get a mic to work in this game? My headset works fine in Teamspeak, Mumble and windows sound recorder, but refuses to work in Ark. It's as if running the game disables my microphone. Pressing B I can see the mic icon on my HUD but no one around me sees the icon over my head and no sound comes through. It's really frustrating trying to talk to a random guy next to you while typing in global only.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

GenericOverusedName posted:

I found a hilarious bug(?) with taming. If you knock out a dino underwater, it'll start losing oxygen and drowning while unconscious. Drowning apparently makes you super loving hungry super quickly. Tamed a bunch of dilos in literal seconds once I figured that out. Stuff automatically wakes up once they are tamed so no need to worry about your new pet dying, it'll start treading water once it is your bud. Managed to set up a base next to an awesome lake so it is fairly easy for me to kite things into the middle of it for aquatherapy.

Haven't tried it on anything larger, I'll try to make a raptor pass out underwater and see how that goes. I'll try a parasaur too. I'm worried that non-dilo critters may die from the drowning before they finish taming.

Is there a trick to doing this? Maybe it only works on small dinosaurs? I tried this with a Carno underwater and the hunger barely dropped and he drown and died about 10% into the tame.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

lilspooky posted:

They said that in the coming weeks once things have improved they plan to have servers be 100 pop count.

Question

As far as wooden walls go, what all can damage them? I know some dino's like the Trike can, metal hatchet/pick can. Can all animals knock them down? Had a guy on a scorpion near my base and I was worried.

Scorpions and Raptors can not damage wooden walls, only thatch.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Did anyone learn the metal spiked wall engram and not be able to build it? Its not in either my personal or smithy table crafting list.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Taming a T-rex, giving it 8000 hp and +600% melee damage is pretty much cheating at this point. There are literally nothing wild dinosaurs can do to even dent it's health and none of the tribes on my server are being allowed to progress to the point where they could actually deal with a monster like that. I almost feel bad. Almost.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

I don't mind blueprints being unlimited use as long as you physically own a copy, since they can be stolen and destroyed. It adds an extra element to raiding/defending when you know how valuable the high level blueprints can be.

Off topic, but how are you guys finding a steady supply of oil? Is it *only* found in underwater caves? If that's the case, is the *only* reliable way to come and go from underwater caves a tamed and buffed up Megaladon? I'm level 60 now with all sorts of advanced tech, but I've yet to find a patch of oil or mine any from underwater rocks. It's a really frustrating bottleneck.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't see the point in locking the boxes really. A level 1 can break one with the most minimal of effort. If someone wants your stuff he will get it. But at least if you unlock it he may decide he doesn't even want it and just go.

I agree. I find that if boxes aren't locked, I usually open them and take a peek and leave most the contents undisturbed. If its got a pin code on it, I assume its valuable and smash the box every time thus destroying everything.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

- Upped the Argentavis' Stamina by 100%, to better enable long-distance flight (it loses stamina when flying as the Ptera). Note that the Alt Attack "grab" ability on both the Argentavis and the Pteranodon consumes a lotttt of Stamina as of 175.0, by design, given its utility.

Looks like they don't want any birds being able to fly forever without landing. That's kind of a bummer.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

I had the best battle of my Ark career so far late last night.

Our forces: 1 Trex, 1 Carno, 1 Argent, 1 Ptera, all with mounts and riders.
Their forces: 2 Trexes, 2 Pteras, 1 Scorpion all with riders and 2 or 3 extra people on foot.

Tride Dickbutts is a smaller tribe on a private server, only 4 people right now. However we are all very organized and have the most advanced tech available right now. I was at the large river intersection that is just South of dead center of the map. Its a great place to tame since it is filled with large populations of every type of dinosaur. I had a level 60 Carno on the ground and the tame was about an hour in. The other 3 members of the tribe came out to help farm prime meats and to level up their respective mounts. It was a pretty normal day until our man on the Argent said "I think there is a guy across the river". The moment he said that, I saw 2 Trexes come crashing over a hill headed directly for me. Luckily, I was close enough to my own Trex that I was able to mount before they reached us. Once they got closer I noticed the other attackers on the scorpion and on foot. They all came straight for me and I knew I was going to die, but god dammit I was going to go out fighting.

My Trex and my friendly Carno stood side-by-side as the enemy rexes attacked. I started running tight circles while spamming the attack on my mouse. It was a giant ball of brown dinosaur parts for a good 20 seconds. That's when I realized my Trex was taking next to zero damage. Either they weren't hitting me or their attacks were so weak it wasn't breaking the skin of my 5000hp Trex. That's when our flyers swooped down and plucked both enemy Rex riders off their mounts at nearly the exact same time. I killed both enemy Trexes with ease and the enemy riders were dropped to the ground at the feet of our Carno. Just as I was lining up an attack on the remaining 5 people on foot, I myself was plucked off my mount by the enemy Ptera that I didn't know was there. He must have been either low level or already injured, because 3 shots with my trusty +175% damage pike took him down. I fell harmlessly at the feet of my Trex and mounted right back up. We cleaned up the rest of the men on the ground and the guy on the scorpion ran away from where he came. My Trex ended the fight with 90% hp, and our Carno had over 50%. They had the drop on us and it was still a bloodbath.

The only loss we incurred was the carno I was trying to tame on the beach. A small price to pay for the 4 sets of painted Flak armor, metal weapons, advanced pistols with ammo and the 2 Trex saddles we looted. Tribe Dickbutts: 1, Wu-Tang Clan: 0.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Jackard posted:

Making this even more obnoxious: plots only hold twenty-some berries at a time, meaning you have to babysit the plot to get any good out of it.

It's not even something you can let sit in the background and do its own thing, the yield is laughable compared to dino gathering

Medium and large plots are the only way to grow Longrass and Savoroot required to make the unlimited oxygen chowder, so they are critical if you ever want to farm pearls in the future.

Question: How are you guys keeping your Mammoths and Brontos safe from Argent attacks while you are offline? It seems like the only way to defend against birds at night is to use auto-turrets. We have a very advanced metal base, behemoth gates, multiple Trexes and Spinos, an electrical power grid... the works. Last night we lost all of our raptors, scorpions, dilos and Mammoths to what I assume was 1 guy flying a bird. He probably picked up the small dinos and dropped them in the ocean, and picked apart the mammoth with melee attacks since the mammoth can't defend itself from an attack from the air.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a giant metal aircraft hanger to store all the dinos in at night while we sleep, and I hate to think of how much metal and cement paste that would cost.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 22, 2015

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Right now? Not much you can do except have a big tribe with timezone coverage.

Yeah that seems to be our issue. We try to secure things as much as possible but the tribe is 4 people who play alot, but we typically all play at the same time, so no one is on in the AM hours on weekdays.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Anyone know which caves are best for farming chitin?

The cave thats south-central of the island is probably the best for chitin. The spiders and scorpions there are low level and spawn in packs of 5-10. Just watch out and don't fall in the water.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Molothecat posted:

Has anyone made it down to an underwater cave, yet? Even with a level 21 megalodon, I barely have enough oxygen to get down there and let the rock mass render. I'm still upping oxygen, but this is a pain in the dick, especially with megalodons no longer being able to past certain angles up or down.

9x Cooked meat
5x Savoroot
5x Longrass
10x Mejoberries
2x Narcotic
1x full water container

Cook in a cooking pot and you will create Lazarus Chowder, 15 minutes of near unlimited o2.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

The pain and suffering brought on by farming materials to build 2 auto-turrets, a power grid and 200 rounds of ammo has finally paid off. I was feeding all my dinos like normal and was startled by the sound of the auto-turrets giving their 2 second warning, followed by about a dozen gunshots. Some random pubbie flew over me on a low level Pteradon and both were quickly dispatched. Worth every hour of grinding.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

If anyone is looking for a new server to try out, I've been enjoying the 'Children of the Ark' server located in Dallas. Low ping, low pop, 15-20 people on at prime time and hardmode activated. It's PvP and 2 main tribes are battling for dominance, with smaller tribes peppered across the map.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

It's actually kinda cool. It's hard to find other people and with the same 20 people playing every night you get to know your neighbors and enemies. There is a lot more emphasis on scouting and communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Upcoming Version: 181.0 (ETA: Monday Midnight EST)
* NEW DINO: Plesiosaurus (with custom saddle!)
* NEW DINO: Ichthyosaurus (with custom saddle!)
* NEW STRUCTURE: Poison Gas Trap
* NEW FEATURE: Emote Wheel!
* Nonviolent Taming method for Ichthyosaurus (will follow-up with implementation for all Herbivores soon)
* AFK kick Timer at spawn/respawn screen: server configurable, default 30 minutes
* Structure Paint effect looks much better and fully covers the surfaces
* Preparation for tomorrow's Mac & Linux game releases :)
* doubled smithy and fabricator weight limits
* configurable server auto save interval
* pipes/cables are no longer considered "enemy" foundations that prevent building nearby
* Obelisk terminals no longer get an auto-demolish timer
* Sabertooth level-up damage scaling ramp reduced by 50%
* Use of sleeping bags now triggers cooldown to all your sleeping bags nearby.
* Taming with Higher Taming Affinity now increases base level of dino, improving its base statistics (previously wasn't doing much, was only generally increasing their damage)
* Added missing mammoth dossier
* Using spyglass now shows Floating HUD of Dinos that you point out, for long range reconnaissance
* C4 can now be placed & detonated underwater
* Buff timers no longer 'appear' to reset when you relogin
* Mod makers can now override the minimap and spawn regions
* Dragging a body no longer removes your FPV hands (bug required players to manually switch to weapon and then back to hands to restore their hands :-P )
* Various minor bug fixes