Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I could pretty easily see Ixt being scum, to be honest though I think most of his play has just been plain old bad and not necessarily scummy bad. Like his two votes are super conspicuous and out of nowhere and unsupported. No comments on other candidates with an hour left to deadline. Voted for the guy who killed scum really early for a weak reason (Pint voted LUTR). All those those things are really scummy-looking but I feel scum would be too self-aware to make all of them in succession. With that said I came out of his post history with a pretty bad impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm reading some of QPQ's link posts more closely than I originally did and one thing I'm noticing is that all these helpful links point to filtered post histories. Even if it's a one-off link it almost always leads to a filtered post history. (One of his links actually led me to a "New Post" window.) I know it's somewhat his style to link like crazy, but to me this looks a lot like paint-by-numbers scumhunting. In other words instead of discussing conversations in context he's scanning down peoples' post histories for his cases and picking stuff out.

This has pretty radically changed my impression of his posts, some of which I liked the first time around but didn't really follow through on the links. QPQ's cases aren't really persuasive because they tend to be a review of someone's post history, like Gridlocked did for all of us, rather than a particularly convincing argument for why doing X looks scummy. They look great though because obviously if you went through and sourced all your points it means you put a lot of effort in and everyone knows effort=town right?

This is QPQ's second post of the game and it has a link in it already:

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't see how Keane's vote is any worse than merk's vote. If anything, I like Keane's post better because it is clearly not intended to be taken seriously and because he seems to dismiss TT for judging merk over the issue (1).

Do you find merk suspicious for doing the same thing, PM? Just want to clarify.

Did this observation need a source? We're on Page 3. QPQ didn't even make a joke in joke phase (scummy).

QuoProQuid posted:

Assuming Ecco is telling the truth about his/her flip:

- LUTR looks very good. A scum player wouldn't be that combative with their ally on D1 (1), (2);
- Also liking Gridlocked a wee bit more, as there would be no reason to shoot down a defense of your partner (3);
- Liking merk quite a bit less due to Ecco's dismissal of the case against him as "a dumb thing" (4);
- Kill all players trying to perpetuate the joke phase.

I've already talked about this post, but again, did any of these points need sources? There's not even a vote here. Was QPQ worried that we wouldn't know what he was talking about if he said "I think LUTR looks better because Ecco was suspicious of her" without him linking to the event?

QuoProQuid posted:

Having gone through LUTR, his content is just as as unexceptional as I remembered. He has lots of jokevotes (1), (2) but that's not exactly noteworthy in this game. His only major contributions until Met's lynch is his defense of Gridlocked (4) (5) which is only weird because of his previously laid-back demeanor, and his sparing with Ecco (6), (7), (8) which I had initially used in LUTR's benefit. Now, I'm not entirely sure. As TNL says (9), the exchange comes off much less extreme than I remember.

The crux of my suspicions still boil down to the last moments of yesterday. I really don't like how defensive he gets when Mets and MEDS cast suspicion on him (10). His explanation for this behavior, and his thoughts on why Met was pulling a gambit seem weak to me (11).

Also, I dislike the Shanakin lynch (12). I won't mourn his passing if it happens, but it comes off to me as an exceptionally lazy play. The Ecco Gambit, which seems to be LUTR's reasoning for the lynch (Ibid)works more in theory than in practice, where it can act as smokescreen for scum looking for an easy target.

##vote: LUTR

This is literally just a summary of LUTR's post history with an "I don't like that" or "this is weird" to transition from one post to another. QPQ even links LUTR's jokevotes as if it's at all relevant to any sort of vote or case. Why?

How many people really read this case the first time around? Did you see all those sourced points and go "well at least QPQ put a lot of effort into this case" and glaze your eyes over? Did this post engage your brain into thinking about LUTR in a new light? Did anyone even follow any of these links?

##vote QPQ

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

TNL that's a great effort post and I will vote however you want in thanks

I'm gone all day tomorrow so trying to get in what I can tonight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow The Betrayer dropped his suspicion of QPQ like a hot rock. He made a big post against QPQ that was longer than everything else he's posted combined, and then got on the Met bandwagon and never mentioned QPQ again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

tnl. what would you say to qpq stab

If he's town I wouldn't want him dead without the chance to defend himself or contribute. I think he's pretty scummy but I'm just one person, maybe others feel differently about what I see.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I am not sure I understand your case, because all this really says is that I use a lot of footnotes, which has been my playstyle since time immemorial. As for the actual cases you quote, I disagree with your assessment that they are nothing more than post summaries. When "I don't like that" or think "this is weird," I find it usually pretty important to indicate what it is that I find to be suspicious or weird so that others can provide their thoughts.

To say that my posts are "literally just a summary of... post history with an "I don't like that" or "this is weird" to transition" is like saying a recipe is literally just a list of ingredients with vague directions to transition. You can not really have one without the other. Given the overall tenor of this game and the level of activity, I won't fault using copious footnotes and trying to engage with other people.

Again I have to ask why you feel the need to source jokevotes, or why your second post in this game has sourced links. Those links are just there to look like you're doing something.

My case on you is that you're scumhunting like scum would: a lot of visible signs that you did your homework but no real conviction in your cases and no real attempt to persuade other people to your point of view.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Shanakin posted:

The way he keeps going after QPQ hard and then dropping him while its safe to do so. I'm not entirely sure of QPQ myself mind you.

I think I'm allowed to change my mind. What do you mean by I dropped QPQ when it was safe?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

##vote LUTR

Scum as before, and also apparently is too busy for Mafia due to a life full of buffalo stampedes and rides at Six Flags.

This is a really bad post considering Betrayer was absent for an entire day and in the meantime LUTR was rallying people to play this game.

##vote The Betrayer

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It had a vote with it so you were putting some muscle behind that post. And again coming in after an absence to call someone out for not playing is a pretty bad look.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

A single vote isn't muscle until LYLO. I placed a vote on the person I felt was both scummiest (thanks to her hilarious defensiveness against one vote in previous days) and stood the most to gain from being lynched (in that she could safely go back to her incredibly busy schedule).

What you're claiming of LUTR is the exact opposite of what I've seen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm in the bad position where none of my suspicions have panned out and the people left alive are almost universally people I don't trust very well. Considering this is a nightless game there's probably another four scum left alive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If I don't do this right now it may be too late at any other point in the game.

##stab GulagDolls

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I asked Quandary a while ago if I would get the knife of someone I stabbed. His answer was yes, so I have Gulag's knife.

I spent yesterday and today thinking about whether I should use my knife and it came down to: If the remaining knife-wielder is scum, or if Gulag is scum, then today was the last day I could use the knife. If the remaining vigilante was scum and Gulag was town, then at any point today they could have done what I did, take his knife and then use it on a town player to bring us down to 8, which would end the game for a five-scum team.

If Gulag was scum and we lynched a townie today then same deal, he could just kill somebody and end the game.

Given Gulag was town and the remaining vigilante didn't kill him, I am going to assume the remaining vigilante is town. If I'm wrong about that, then the game is probably over, but if that's true then the game was over yesterday because scum could have just done what I did and then followed it up with a second kill.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If the last vigilante is indeed town (which I'm going to assume out of necessity) then I think Pint is almost certainly scum. Only player left (besides me I guess) that could have been scum starting out with the knife, used the kill very early to kill scum and then hasn't done much of anything. His play looks a lot like scum who punched the town ticket early and then coasted on it.

##vote Pint

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also think Keane is scum, he's been a non-factor and not in a way that makes me feel good about him.

I still think QPQ is scummy.

If I had to pick a final scum it may be Gridlocked for posting that big summary as his one big effort burst and then showing nothing comparable to it later on.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Welp I was wrong about pretty much every lynch I pursued.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

we killed the wrong lurkers. we should have killed the other ones

Sorry buddy. I kept thinking you were scum for sitting on the kill so long, and it got to the point where if you weren't scum, scum could just kill you and take your knife and win :(

It was also the last day where scum had to let you live, if we had lynched a townie they would have done what I did and won, just a day later.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I should have just used the second kill, but if I did I probably would have killed a townie anyway as I was thinking about knifing Pint or QPQ.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

i didnt know you could set up an infinite knife chain kill lol

It was something I asked about shortly after you got a knife from being the last vote. It was also something I figured scum had to know about, but I didn't want to say it in the thread because it would have been a little too obvious I had asked because I had a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Shanakin posted:

Well done guys. Somehow I didn't realise we were quite so close to end game but in retrospect the numbers make it fairly obvious.

It was an interesting game. The pacing was weird though and never really could keep on top of it. The timezone stuff and my daily grind weren't a great mix either. Everything being so malicious at the the start really did sour my interest in the game in the first few days, and then after that it the sense of overwhelming didn't really fade until the game became really small.

Should have pushed harder on my hunch about TNL and doubted myself less, I'm not sure I'd actually get the lynch through ever so, but whatever.

Eh? I was town.

Anyway while I'm here, I think it may have helped this setup to extend days on the weekends. Friday, Saturday, Sunday one-day deadlines are pretty rough (I was busy most of Friday and gone all day on Saturday). I also think from a balance perspective that it would be better if the first person voting someone with a knife got the knife upon a lynch instead of the last person. There were a few times where I considered unvoting/revoting to make myself the last vote. (Not that someone with a knife getting lynched would be very common, it pretty much only happened here because 100yrs was afk during that lynch.)

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread