Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I'm in because Quandary was one of my Very First Mafia Buddies :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

the vampire pirates are the scum gulag

vampirates?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

merk posted:

Uh oh. I have three votes ten minutes into the game starting. I better claim.

I am First Lt. Good Guy. I am role PM confirmed good guy.

How is this happening already, you haven't even had a huge slapfight with anyone yet

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

A no-hang is a bad idea. I don't think I need to specify that further but just tossing that out there.

This is like two or three games now that I've seen people suggest no lunch day one. When did that become a thing? Do people like having less information going into day 2?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

that gallon of milk.... was meinberg

I hear Taste lives in a basement and his best friends are roaches

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

merk posted:

woah woah woah

This game doesn't have vampires. There is no night.

Haven't you ever seen Aqua Teen Hunger Force? Reverse vampires. They crave the light.

In other news I am spiking a fever while watching True Detective, it is a loving trip

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

merk kicks puppies vote merk

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

##vote merk for puppy kicking

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

The votes on merk might be one of the silliest things I've ever seen in a game of mafia.

It's because he keeps bellyaching about how much everyone hates him so I'm voting him out of love (for the puppies he kicks)

Keane if you can show evidence that another player kicks more puppies than merk I will move my vote

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

##unvote

Seriouspost, with days as short as they are, I'm nervous about how many people aren't posting much/at all.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

It's been a few hours.

Yeah I guess, looking at the playerlist some of the non posters are in bad time zones.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Gridlocked has a poor reason for voting.

##vote gridlocked

Bad vote, this is dude's second game.

If you're going on poor reasons for voting I think p much everyone voting at the moment is doing it for a bad reason.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

The game literally started like 12 hours ago or something.

yes

this is why it's weird that Somber is calling out a super newbie for a bad vote. They are all bad votes, why pick that one out. It is lazy.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

Nah, also you can take the gloves off, Gridlocked is officially as good at mafia as half this game.

I wasn't making a point about Gridlocked, I was saying that Somber going for pretty much the easiest vote is out of character. Why is this a problem for you? Do you agree with him?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

I don't but your defense of Gridlocked (which is what it is) feels disingenuous. Go after Somber because you think he made a scum vote.

That's what I was doing by saying it was a bad vote.

You jumped down my throat in a way that strikes me as really panicky. Either you have a dog in this race or you're trying to look active. ##vote ecco

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

On easy D1 lunches:

EccoRaven posted:

- Gulag
- TT
- Betrayer
- Gridlocked (sorry but you're newer and you need to be careful scum will love to make lazy cases against you now that you're not Fresh Off the Boat!)
- Me, if I am AFK for too long.

I mean if you want to get pissy at me for agreeing with your initial logic then that's whatever

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

My ears just popped for the first time since going to a rock show on Friday night and now the world feels very loud

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Grid's vote really was not very good.

I don't disagree, but yours was worse

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

anyway we're on ecco being scum now, catch up

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

Except you do disagree! None of your behavior makes sense if you don't disagree that Gridlocked made an exceptionally bad vote.

I agree that the vote was not very good. I disagree that it was "exceptionally bad." My behavior makes sense from the perspective of "Somber's vote was worse than Grid's" and "why the gently caress does Ecco care so much about this"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Grid's vote was not very good. I agree with Somber that it is not very good. Ecco trying to inflate that to "exceptionally scummy" is wrong and misleading. I think there are far worse votes in the game and that Grid's was out of character for Somber to go after, which makes Somber's vote worse than Grid's. Ecco getting involved in the case strikes me as scummier than either thing, and worth voting. I didn't vote Somber because my intent in posting about his vote on Grid was to get his thought process on it. I thought maybe he'd forgotten that Grid's new, but I guess the newbie card expires faster for Somber than it does for me (I'll start seriously casing/voting newbies after 4 or 5 games).

Hope this helps, vote ecco

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

so...are we not waiting for Quandary?

I mean it's cool that Ecco is scumclaiming and all but it seems a little sketch not to wait for an Actual Flip

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Met posted:

I love your argument there.

"Ecco did exactly what I did and ended up scum. Why are you voting for me?"

merk posted:

The question is: Why didn't you vote or even comment on a flipped scum who voted you in the exact same way that I did, especially when you even called him out in your vote on me?

##vote met

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I'm heading to class, see y'all around 10

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

The case against me is that I provided a series of observations about Ecco's lynch that appeared both shallow and obvious. The implication from merk (1) was that I was trying to exploit this death by making content that only seemed meaningful. Scum obviously aren't committed to scumhunting so shallow casing is a good tool to seem townie without providing anything that actually helps the town.

As for myself, I don't have much of a defense except that I was frustrated with the joke phase seemingly stretching out infinitely and wanted to post anything that would get the game moving. I was struggling getting serious reads on any of the last five pages taken together, so the next logical step was to look weed Ecco's posts for any weak content that might be relevant. I still stand by the idea that Ecco probably didn't attack her teammates less than twenty-four hours into the game. Yes, busing occurs, but it usually only does so for a reason and I don't see any reason why Ecco would resort to such a tactic that quickly. This is the last I will say to defend myself. Please refer to this post for future reference.

Taking a look at Met, his kill is dumb but it doesn't look like it is outright scummy. There seems to be a logical escalation from his original vote (2) to hardening his position (3) to aggressively pursuing merk based on previous meta (3), (4). Nothing about his reads ping as "untrue" to me. I also have a ~~gut~~ sense that scum would be a little more careful about using their vigs instead of blowing it D1 on someone whose death would immediately put suspicion on them. It seems far from ideal play (not to say that people are ideal players, but that they usually do things rationally).

I would like met to clarify his thinking in deciding to kill merk and why he decided to kill him on D1.

Are you always this stiff and unnatural-sounding?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Sup y'all

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

i feel extending the deadline a further 24 hours after the second vig may have been a mistake~

meh don't worry about it, there'll be a bunch of pointless shitposting and then a last minute rush where a townie gets dunked

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I'm fine voting MCS without needing to reread him. I feel kinda lovely that two of my picks are newbies, but then we just killed two of the most veteran players in Mafia.

I'd be on board with this as MCS changes his win condition to "break or otherwise ruin the game" when he gets bored

How many games has Scruffy played? I agree that his contributions have been totally insubstantial but as far as I'm concerned people have a newbie pass until game 4 or 5, at least in early days.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

It's not just insubstantial, setup speculation in lieu of real thought is scummy.

To be honest that sounds like a difficult way to play. New players get dealt scum sometimes, let them handle it.

It gets a little annoying but I've made a strict policy to not vote newbies in early days until they've got several games under their belt. It's worth eating a couple losses if it grows the community; if you get dunked early game over and over you never learn anything, get frustrated, and quit signing up for games. I think the best way to handle it is even if a newbie's being SUPER loving scummy, save it for later in the game, let them gently caress up a bunch, then when things are pretty well wrapped up you can dunk them and present them with a well built case that shows exactly where their missteps were. I've pretty much always stuck to this rule and it's worked out pretty well.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

This is a compelling point.

IDK that sounds a lot like pirate to me.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Met posted:

I decided to suicide as scum to get rid of one townie. That's much more likely than any other situation. Okay.

This happens all the time, especially to get rid of strong aggressive town. In a nightless setup when you can't get rid of a player like merk by just killing him, this is even more true. If a player is a danger to your entire scum team, trading one member for them is a good deal.

Also you seem alive, so.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Shanakin posted:

This game has help my interest less than I was expecting it to.

That seems like a failing on your part rather than a failing of the game itself. Lots of stuff has happened, it really should not be that hard to have opinions on things.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

LUTR I got a sick deck of CAT TAROT

freal tell me all about it (in the DJ room so as not to gently caress up game)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Meds' case amounts to bad therefore scum.

Case on meds or case belonging to meds?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Met posted:

I believe the Meds vs QPD will be unfruitful either way it swings. Neither of you come across as disingenuous in your scum hunting despite claiming the other, in fact, is disingenuous.

On the other hand, Griclocked and Ninth Layer are terrible. Vote them for a better tomorrow.

I haven't noticed anything specifically terrible about Ninth, what are you seeing

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Same reason for everyone else Met thinks is scum, they voted for him

Oh hey you're in this game

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

So deadline is tonight right?

I have class at 7, expect me back around 9:30.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Met posted:

My mistake. You're correct. You did make a poor choice there that I felt warranted consideration.

You know this logic really only works if you're super townie right?

On my way home y'all, also I'm on cloud nine because I may or may not have just turned in a perfect scoring math test, hallelujah.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Oh gently caress I thought I had a vote down. ##vote MEDS CURE SCHIZOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

That ties things between Met and MEDS in case anyone wants to break that tie

• Locked thread