Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Yo I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Tremendous Taste posted:

the vampire pirates are the scum gulag
Clearly knows something

Tremendous Taste posted:

no lynch? agreed?
Obvious scum

Wasting peoples badwidth on a near static animated gif.

Tremendous Taste posted:

kill ecco merk met me and gulag pls

Wants to die, atone for scummy sins.

Look Under The Rock posted:

I hear Taste lives in a basement and his best friends are roaches
If true that sounds pretty scummy. What kind of upstanding citizen would be friends with roaches?

Which leads into the most damming piece:

Tremendous Taste posted:

I actually take multiple baths a day and use scented oils
I don't beleive this claim one bit.

therefore:

##Vote Tremendous Taste

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Go to sleep, wake up, 200 posts. Jeeeeeesus.

No kidding. So much slap fighting by and around ecco. Stuff other people actually have to read, in detail when they can access their computer. Glad he's dead. Even more so since he was scum.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Gonna hold off voting until I can go through it in detail, since there's so much time left. Does seem like a bad kill though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Oh hey there isn't 200 posts of people awkwardly insulting eachother to get through today, nice. A double stabbing really slowed things down, oddly enough. I guess the extra time frame helps, or rather hinders discussion.

dscruffy1 posted:

Also I guess mills and shanakin are in the game in theory. Ecco gambit I guess.
Gonna have to agree. This game has help my interest less than I was expecting it to.

Somberbrero posted:

Are you aware that there's game outside of the conversation we're having? I feel like you're focusing on this dyad as an excuse to not engage the content of the game as a whole.

I agree in theory, but in practice it can be kind of hard when you're not entirely familiar with intricacies of the game, scumhunting and all that. In my last game a basically convinced everyone I was scum, when I wasn't, simply by trying in earnest to post actual content and doing my own attempt at scum hunting. I admit there was some bad luck and timing in there but eh.

Personally there's an awful lot of content in this thread, but so little actually stands out beyond the petty bickering of recent days. Everyone's arguments end up looking about as good as each others. QPQ kind of stands out as either trying hard, or trying too hard. Tasty also stands out for just being everywhere. A few people stand out by their absence, probably myself included, but I can currently empathise with that so hell I dunno.

Question, what does OMGUS stand for?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

That seems like a failing on your part rather than a failing of the game itself. Lots of stuff has happened, it really should not be that hard to have opinions on things.

That may be so, and maybe mafia just isn't for me.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Oh My God, U Suck

Argument/voting because you're mad at someone, or because they dare to vote you, etc

Thanks. It seemed like its usage was something like that but I couldn't work out what the US stood for.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

There's one reason to keep scum alive and that's to try and get them to rat out their peers, presumably accidentally.

It's still not a good idea because as my last game showed, everyone can latch onto that idea that a person is effectively confirmed scum, even if they're not, and then make other assumptions around that about other people than don't really hold up true.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I got my well deserved prodding message and I am going to attempt an effort at not getting distracted and overwhelemd and posting poo poo and not being a lurky bastard which is unfair to the other players of the game. That being said I've given Quandy my blessing (not that he needs it) to slot in someone more eager to play if I keep it up and he has one handy.

So with that said, lets get posting.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Oh god Gulag has a knife. stay awaaaaay from meeeeeeee.

CCKeane posted:

It looked like Shankakin was going to vote you, Gulag.
I what? I'd have to be present to wanna do that. More than that Gulag hadn't really been overtly suspicious previously, but that probably needs a review now.

Grid do me, do me. only got like 5 posts to go through ;)
fake edit: nearly 10!

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

if you had a knife, who would you stab and why.

First though is Grid, to hear his delicious tears and also because he's reminding me of those times where he's adding up everyone's points in a game and trying to stifle his smile, but that's kind of hard to be sure about in text form. I'm kinda reading back on the thread and going over people so I'll come back to this question in a bit.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

For what it's worth though I'm just naturally paranoid about grid.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

CCKeane posted:

It looked like Shankakin was going to vote you, Gulag.

I suppose this was meant to be a joke and all but it also feels pretty off to me, partly because of how easy it is to distance from as a joke.

Not that I really hold trying to vote me against him, can't blame him too much.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Wait your turn :v: That took me an entire Draft video to type. I need to wait for another to be posted so I can watch it and type.

Gridlocked posted:

Wait your turn :v: That took me an entire Draft video to type. I need to wait for another to be posted so I can watch it and type.

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked posted:

The longer you wait the more posts you'll have to go through ;)

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked posted:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

how the gently caress did I do that?

anyway. After a cursory glance I'm not really liking early Ninth Layer.

He does a day one vote count trying to be helpful. This was one of the big things I got in trouble for before as being an obvious scummy behaviour, trying to appear helpful.

He goes after, and votes QPQ for making arguments and accuses him of trying to hard. I'm not really sure that trying to hard really holds up to a bunch of one line opinions about people mostly though.

He basically keeps going after QPQ and most of his posts feel incredibly Facetious to me.

Then he kind of goes a lot quieter, backs away from his earlier positions and seems to go with the flow more.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

CCKeane:
He posts a lot. A looot. This is fine. 70% of his posts are flippant throwaway jokes and such to me. there's some advice in there that strikes me as sensible about not wasting all the drat vigs on day one and for people to calm down a bit, and the rest is all trying to vote or convince other people to vote me.

I don't really like the way most of his stuff is filler but I suppose filler is better than not posting. Obviously he's been after me hard but I don't really hold "vote one of the most inactive guys" against him.

The one thing I don't really like is the "why in't this guy dead yet" posts about met, for the same reasons as grid but I don't think there's much to be suspicious of here.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

A quick glance over LUTR and I don't see much to worry about there.

Plus I really like this bit he posted:

quote:

And yeah, I think having toxic douchebags who intentionally break games and use personal attacks to harangue other players into doing what they want is pretty harmful to general enjoyment of games and I will gladly policy dunk chumps like that regardless of alignment. Sorry not sorry. If you think that makes me scum then idk what to tell you.

All that poo poo posting and stuff at the start of the game really kind of killed my interest and made it hard to follow actual stuff.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

okay I'm gonna go shoot some things. I'll post some more impressions later. Hopefully I don't really want to make the next 10 posts in a row.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

if you had a knife, who would you stab and why.

re-answering this as promised. No one really stands out as a great target so I'd probably hold onto it for now. If I had to, Ninth Layer is the one that stands out to me the most so far, as I elaborated earlier but I'd not be confident of it flipping scum.

P.S. sorry for my poor formatting in other posts. Normally I'd edit that kind of thing but I keep thinking in quick reply that they look like actual paragraphs about a point rather than single lines.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Grid, that analysis is helpful to someone like me who has fallen behind in trying to keep up with the game. What does it accomplish, though? You have all that content but haven't done anything with it. You make very few scum calls and you're fencesitting so hard on some of them that it counts as public indecency. After reading that I feel like I have less of an idea as to who you want to dunk than before.

I get the impression he does too.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Feeling kinda sick today/last night. Just woke up (at 12:25pm).

Anyway on thinking it over, Ninth Layer is still the person who I have the most doubts about.

I haven't changed my mind about Shanakin, still think he wouldn't be a bad lynch, and after a reread I'm amazed nobody's said anything about The Ninth Layer, who is hardly participating and saying a whole lot of nothing when he does. Dude has one page of post history and it's a lot of voting QPQ and shrugging.

and clearly I'm not the only one.

##Vote The Ninth Layer

As for Grid, I suspect that effort posts like that are what he thinks scum hunting is about and is mostly trying to mimmick QPQ from the end of the last game. He did some posts like that last game as well and we did indeed use the use the user-posts only view to sort through them. My gut feeling is he's either confused himself about who to vote, or lacks the confidence to make a call out.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

you gotta bold that, sweetie

Dammit. Thanks good catch. I did that last game accidentally.

##Vote The Ninth Layer

GulagDolls posted:

shanakin has made one vote this whole game, and it was joke vote

It wasn't a joke vote
:colbert:

Gridlocked posted:

I seem to remember being the one who did all the effort last game :colbert: You played tanks while I made that flow chart and everything. Then you killed yourself.

I made an effort post or two as well I just didn't care about referencing or going on for 15 paragraphs.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

Isn't shanakin a newbie

Sorta yeah. I used to play on another site like 10 years ago and thought I would try it out and suddenly there's new metas, automatic voting (it is awesome), a bunch of new jargon, and pretty much forgot a bunch of the rules (ie last game until right near the end I was pretty sure town lost when all its special roled characters died).

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Hello party people.

Just in time for a lynching in like 15 minutes I think.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Somber will be quite acceptable too.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

##vote: Ixt

Opopanax posted:

Yep ##vote ix

That's awfully quick together, and awfully without explanation. I mean looking over his posts they have been pretty lovely and mostly lacking in any detail this still feels pretty off to me.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Are you the guy from memento and you can't remember anything that happened before the day started? I mean, even if you are, you could always just look up the page to when I vote him the first time with an explanation, and then QPQ agrees with me.

Buuuut my scroll wheel disability prevents that!

Yeah though looking back its pretty lovely posting/voting. I'm on board.

##Vote Ix

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

dammit.

##vote Ixt

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

He called someone a cum-man and that's just rude.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

On second thoughts I don't like anyone and should think for myself more.

##Unvote

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Really the hour or so before the deadline is when I am free to devote the most time to the game.

So lets have a look what's going on.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Ehh looks like Scruffy just needs a hammer now. Not that it will matter in 40 minutes, but I don't really wanna kill the conversation when the game tends to be at its more active stage.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I think I'm going to use this opportunity to continue to register my suspicion of Ninth.

##Vote TNL

Scruffy is going to get it either way soon enough, and that's not an unreasonable vote, but isn't terribly compelling either in my opinion.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

What makes you suspect TNL?

The way he keeps going after QPQ hard and then dropping him while its safe to do so. I'm not entirely sure of QPQ myself mind you.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Shanakin posted:

The way he keeps going after QPQ hard and then dropping him while its safe to do so. I'm not entirely sure of QPQ myself mind you.

Which kinda adds to the suspicion.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Ninth's behaviour is suspicious regardless of the status of QPQ. You see him as being an overzealous townie, I see him as trying to obfuscate and non-commitally draw attention elsewhere.

QPQ arguments are flashy but the arguments frequently aren't much better than a lot of the one line complaints people throw around, he just puts fancy references all over the place. It's an excellent way to obfuscate and draw attention elsewhere and as he has made a reputation of making these kinds of posts, it would be an obvious tell, and a waste of a chance at misdirection if he only made these kinds of posts as a good guy.

I'm not saying he's scum, but I'm not convinced he's town is all. He throws out so many accusations on so many people, that it's hard to really say where he stands.

I mean look at this post. He doesn't even bother to accuse him of being scum or anything, just that that particular post was bad. Which it was (and not the only one at that) but it's apparently the most compellign case to vote against a guy in the whole game I believe.

QuoProQuid posted:

What is this post even saying except:
1. My vote yesterday was unimportant! Please don't look at it too hard;
2. Obvious speculation about vig:
3. No one is talking to Gulag, so I guess he is scum because?????

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I think Ninth is scum (hence the vote). I don't know what to think about QPQ but he raises some suspicions yes.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

I still stand by QPQ.

I also don't think you're really objective about QPQ Grid. You've basically styled your posting behaviour after him, so is it any surprise you think it's fantastic?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think I'm allowed to change my mind. What do you mean by I dropped QPQ when it was safe?

Hmm. Actually looking back after flip flopping around a lot in the first couple of days you've been a lot more consistent against him than I remembered and I find myself agreeing with some of your points.

Fair warning, there's a good chance I'll miss the lynch vote timeframe today.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I'm going to be without power for most of tomorrow as they're turning it off for 4 to 6 hours to install some transformers and new power poles just up the street. It starts about 2 hours before the deadline I believe. I'll try and be on beforehand or maybe phonepost depending on how well that's working at the time but regrettably can't promise much.

In the meantime I'm going to take a look through the thread for a a few minutes and decide on what I want to do with the current information in case I miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Okay I'm tired as hell from looking at raw data tables for the last few hours and it being 3am. I've had and expressed some concerned about QPQ before and have found agreement in previous criticisms against his posts. I have my reservations though. In many ways it sometimes looks like he's a big part of driving the game forward, and he does have some good stuff throughout. On the other hand we've had not a single successful lynching. On yet another hand with the number of players involved that's no super unexpected.

I hate to say it but I think I'm gonna hold my vote for now. I'll just have to hope my reception stays decent and phone vote. There's a good chance if he's going to get lynched I wont be necessary, and if not it's probably all spread back out to other votes. I'm also a little worried of scum potentially jumping in and rushing out a hammer, on a big town asset if he's actually clear. Not too hard to get with a couple of guys.

Worst case scenario I might SMS Grid and ask him to post my vote for me? Dunno if that would even work or not.

Goodnight folks.

• Locked thread