Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm not sure it's uploading anything, I think it's doing 1-by-1 comparison. So far it's done 200 pictures and my phone only reports the app as having used 20MB of mobile data and 4 megs of wifi.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nice, the app doesn't require any specific action on the developers part. If you're on Android M, app data is automatically backed up to the cloud.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Did they get rid of the Highlights feature in Photos? I guess you can find it in Google Plus now. What a cluster Plus is these days. Will it ever go the way of Wave?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Did they get rid of the Highlights feature in Photos? I guess you can find it in Google Plus now. What a cluster Plus is these days. Will it ever go the way of Wave?

Google+ is pretty neat on its own but I don't even think Google knows what it wants to do with it.

The best part about it imo is the Google Play Beta deal with communities and stuff. That's pretty awesome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Nice, the app doesn't require any specific action on the developers part. If you're on Android M, app data is automatically backed up to the cloud.
Yeah, it seems like a Big Deal and yet I don't remember it being mentioned.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I didn't even know my phone did some of the stuff it does now and I'm really looking forward to eventually getting a phone that supports M.

The On Tap stuff is incredible, and I've already finished uploading my phone's photos and am in the process of moving my computer photos to it.

With all the pictures my wife and I take, we've been worried about losing pictures because we never print or usually transfer them anywhere. Heck, my wife's phone is almost out of storage from all the pictures. Now we can clear all of that up.

I just can't believe we've come this far with technology to where back when I had an Apple IIe, to play an adventure game, you had to type in specific words in order for it to do something. And that really loving sucked because for a game like Ulysses and the Golden Fleece, it took us forever how to start sailing on a ship. Turns out the command is 'go ocean'.

From there we went to the beginning of the internet and hyperlinking and search engines that still needed you to be a little specific.

Eventually, we were able to get search engines that understood that "what new games are coming out for the PC?" meant. Now, we have full on voice recognition understanding what we mean.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
So the high quality option in the new photos app can save up to 16mp pictures for free but they are still slightly compressed, right? If I don't want my pictures altered in any way I have to use the other option that counts against the drive storage. Haven't found a definitive answer on any google site but some sources say that pictures under 16MP are still slightly compressed in some way (maybe not even noticable for most people). Not that I care too much about that, I'm still at 1.4GB of 65GB.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea they are still slightly compressed somewhat.

Also I'm pretty bummed out that Google Photos is pretty bad at determining a photos date by filename or its creation date in the file properties because I checked it this morning and a shitload of stuff I transferred from my computer from 2012-2014 is showing up as created in May 2015.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bronin posted:

Haven't found a definitive answer on any google site but some sources say that pictures under 16MP are still slightly compressed in some way (maybe not even noticable for most people).
Correct, what they are saying is "we will keep your photos at a quality that is indistinguishable from the original for photos up to 16MP" but they aren't literally storing the original images.

There's a "Coffee with a Googler" session at the end of the livestream from yesterday which goes into a little more detail on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlpJ1ELAVw
(In case the timestamp link doesn't work right: the chat starts at 4:30:30, the specific question is at 4:33:40.)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I thought Google Photos was private? I uploaded like 400 pictures and they were all viewable through my google+ account apparently. I checked in the settings for both photos and G+ but didn't see anything to not show pictures...kind of confused.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

I thought Google Photos was private? I uploaded like 400 pictures and they were all viewable through my google+ account apparently. I checked in the settings for both photos and G+ but didn't see anything to not show pictures...kind of confused.

You're kind of confused that you can view the Google Photos in your Google account?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

thebushcommander posted:

Nice gonna go check out all my friend's G+ accounts for random dick pics.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thebushcommander posted:

Have you checked to see if other people can see them? Just because they're visible on your own G+ doesn't mean they aren't private.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

hooah posted:

Have you checked to see if other people can see them? Just because they're visible on your own G+ doesn't mean they aren't private.

My gf asked me when I added so many pictures since I never use G+ so I assumed those were the ones she was talking about since I had 1 before that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

My gf asked me when I added so many pictures since I never use G+ so I assumed those were the ones she was talking about since I had 1 before that.
Where exactly are they visible? On your G+ profile in a post, as if you shared them? What does the privacy setting of that post show? It should say "public" or list the people that they were shared with.

Edit: There is also a dropdown at the top of your Profile page to let you view it as if you are a guest or a specific other person which may help here. I'm pretty sure you are just confused about what is public because there are don't seem to be any other reports of photos getting shared automatically.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 29, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I want to know about the photo quality thing is will the setting be retroactive?

Right now, I have it set to upload originals. I have like 1tb of google space through various promotions so I really don't care right now. After those promos expire though, I'm not sure I will want to pay to keep that space.

So, if I upload all of mine at original quality now, am I going to have to remove and re-upload later to move them to unlimited if my space trails expire and I don't want to pay?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

What I want to know about the photo quality thing is will the setting be retroactive?
Changing the upload type doesn't affect any photos that are already uploaded (see here under "Can I change my mind").

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

thebushcommander posted:

On a similar note I noticed that one of my friend's photo tag photo was a picture of him that I have never seen before and doesn't appear in the tagged photos.

Regardless play with the search tool, it is really, really impressive, now i just need to get about 20 gigs of photos laying around half a dozen hard drives uploaded.

As a side note, 95% of my photos are well under 16 MP and 99% of my video is under 1080p but if I choose keep original quality and they are well under 16 MP does it count against my data cap? It's not a big deal, I have about 100 gigs of unused good storage but it would be nice if they didn't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

As a side note, 95% of my photos are well under 16 MP and 99% of my video is under 1080p but if I choose keep original quality and they are well under 16 MP does it count against my data cap? It's not a big deal, I have about 100 gigs of unused good storage but it would be nice if they didn't.
Yes, if you use that option it uses your Drive space regardless of how big the file is because you're telling Google "do not compress this, do not touch this, store it exactly as I tell you to".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

Changing the upload type doesn't affect any photos that are already uploaded (see here under "Can I change my mind").

So, basically you are stuck.

If I upload 15gb worth of photos at original quality and I let my 1tb of promotion expire, my Drive space will be effectively cutoff for any new additions and in order to move photos to "unlimited", I'll have to remove and re-upload them (which means I will have to redo all album work as well.)

So, what this is essentially encouraging me to do right now is zero out my photo library and start from scratch with "High quality" so I can ensure that photos are never going to take up any or my Google storage.

It would be nice if they gave you a "convert to high quality" option on existing photos.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

So, basically you are stuck.

If I upload 15gb worth of photos at original quality and I let my 1tb of promotion expire, my Drive space will be effectively cutoff for any new additions and in order to move photos to "unlimited", I'll have to remove and re-upload them (which means I will have to redo all album work as well.)

So, what this is essentially encouraging me to do right now is zero out my photo library and start from scratch with "High quality" so I can ensure that photos are never going to take up any or my Google storage.

It would be nice if they gave you a "convert to high quality" option on existing photos.

Part of me feels like the already reasonable cost of Google storage is just going to get cheaper and cheaper while devices with higher and higher functional resolutions are going to become more and more ubiquitous. I mean it's a bet but it seems like a reasonable one.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
ATAP livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Bma3d0wko

quote:

Optimized for speed. Because we are, well, impatient. And someone should be. The engines on Project Ara are revved. We’re on the road to Puerto Rico. Creating the hardware equivalent of the software app ecosystem sometimes feels a little Dakar Rally, sometimes a little Le Mans. Fast. Difficult. Worth it. Speaking of fast… We’ll debut our newest Spotlight Story ‘Fast-and-Furious’ style. Justin Lin’s live action short goes live at I/O. In full 360 with 3D soundsphere. Whaaaat? Exactly. And wearables that we hope will blow your socks off. (We mean this more literally than you might think…) Our goal: break the tension between the ever-shrinking screen sizes necessary to make electronics wearable and our ability to have rich interactions with them. Why can’t you have both? We like to build new things. Sometimes seemingly impossible things. We can build them faster together.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is cool, they've developed a radar device that can fit in a smartwatch, that can read finger gestures in 3D space

e- now they've made conductive yarn for interactive textiles :catstare:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2015

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Project Ara Update: It boots and can take a picture.

"Follow us on Twitter, bye."

TVGM fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 29, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tango's looking pretty boss, all kinds of environment and spatial sensors that actually look like they work well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HhOmF22oYA

Qualcomm's working on sticking the hardware in Snapdragons too

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

bull3964 posted:

In hindsight it's pretty obvious, but I clicked into the Google Photos web app, let it create a Google Photos Google Drive folder and thought, hey I can just throw all the old photos on my computer into that folder. Of course that uploads the original files and gets counted against my contingent, so now I have to re-upload them using "Google Photos Backup". A "convert original files into high quality" button would be quite nice indeed.

They actually advise you to remove the Google Photos folder from Google Drive sync, which is just typically Google.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

On a similar note I noticed that one of my friend's photo tag photo was a picture of him that I have never seen before and doesn't appear in the tagged photos.

OK, I retract this, drat Google Images is good at pulling faces out of the background, it just happened to be a really good photo of him that he just happened to be in the background up.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Photos is great.

Was there a mention of a launch date for Android Pay? It is separate from M, so I wonder if it'll get released at a different time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I think they said Q3 2015 for that as well.

• Locked thread