Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

In it to win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Please don't criticize me for missing Blizzards, guys. :(

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

reported

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Guys, guys.

Chill out.

:v:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Always confirm the dunk.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Actually I can't see any real reason for that unless someone can elaborate.

That was probably just a dumbvig.

It was loving hilarious. What more reason does he need on Day 1?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

What are the chances of mafia having a daykill? Not too high, I'd imagine.

Thoughts like this get you killed, FYI. I speak from experience.

And really, if you have a dayvig, the best way to use it is on Day 1:

A: Your odds of actually successfully making a dunk decrease with each day you don't use it, because you're a viable target for scum the whole time.

B: Better to lose a townsperson on Day 1 than a townsperson on Day 3. The game's momentum isn't established on Day 1.

Hazdoc posted:

We coulda let votes play out, see if a bandwagon starts, and instead of lynching the first possible vote target, we dayvig them and see how they flip, then lynch bandwagoners if the lynchee ends up town. If people take too long to vote, he could snipe a lurker. Better than shooting into the dark, at least. At a person who seemed to be doing a fair bit of talking, too.

None of these ideas are better than shooting into the dark.

Let's assume you off the vote leader. Surprise, he's town. Now you're looking at whoever spearheaded this bandwagon. Guess what? There's a decent chance that they're town as well. Now not only have you killed one guy for nothing, you're also trying to lynch another townsperson, and scum get to sit back and laugh while halfheartedly going "No, don't lynch him, that'd be a terrible idea."

A random shot in the dark is better than something designed to steer the town right into a goddamn circle.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

For A, its better to die and now have taken a shot and hit a townie. 0 dead townies is better than 1 dead townie. For B... I dunno. We got no momentum from that kill, when we could have had something to work with if he waited a little longer. I come from a terrible group of players who actually no vote day 1, so Day 1 momentum is something I'm not too good at judging. I still think it was very hasty, and could have been directed at somebody who was quieter at the start (like me, heh).

No. This is wrong. Eggs must be broken for omelettes, townspeople must die to find scum.

I'd criticize you for using 'we' here, since it can be easily twisted into a scumslip, but I'll let it slide.

Anyway, no momentum was gained from that because there isn't any to pass around. Lynching townspeople/scum transfers a certain unmeasurable degree of momentum to the other side--if townspeople start lynching each other and don't have a loving clue, scum can run the game. If scum are getting lynched, the remaining scum get to play the entire game with their assholes puckered.

quote:

He's most likely going to come off as a pro-town now, since I doubt people will think he's going to be mafia. I don't think he's mafia. If saying this stuff gets me killed, so be it. I don't know how people generally operate in SA mafia games, but I'll do what I do and see how it pans out.

It's mostly alignment neutral. Mostly. A bit more town to randomly fire than scum, but I wouldn't swear by it.

quote:

And if we wait to off somebody on a lynch, it doesn't matter if we screw up and kill a townie, at least we now have some information to work with. We're probably going to end up lynching a townie today anyways, why not do it with 2 sets of votes to work with, instead of the one we'll get now? Whatever, what's done is done.

Why not start with a vote each day to see whether or not we'll use the vigilante kill, then have a vote to decide who the target is, then vote on whether or not to just shoot him?

You're adding additional levels of abstraction and interference that scum can abuse. Leave it as simple as possible.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

So, can anyone else dunk? We need to test one of these miller claims.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

imgay posted:

I think we've had enough day 1 vigs dude.

I just want a musket to appear.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think the excess of millers is more of a commentary about the MOBA playerbase and demographic.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Hey thanks for chiming in, who do you think is scummy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

He's saying because I'm advocating killing lurkers they're tied to my alignment

I would advocate both scum and town to kill lurkers

Nah, leave lurkers alive as scum. Makes it easier to control the thread.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

How boring. If you're going to ragequit, it should be done in a manner that causes as much chaos as possible.

This is how I normally play Mafia without ragequitting. :angel:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##vote No Lynch

I'm not seeing a convincing case anywhere on anyone. I'll be doing a bit of rereading, but yeah, I'm kind of out of ideas at this point in time.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. Is that a scum confessional I see before me?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Drop the concern for the poor pitiful pathetic lurkers, because you're clearly not actually sad about one of them dying in your stead.

I mean, gently caress, I'd be grinning if I was dodging a lynch because we can't muster up the votes to actually get rid of the vote leader.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

:downs:

Did it ever occur to any of you that there are other night actions besides "kill"?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Playing fast and loose in the other thread, will catch up on this one in a bit.

Not buying either case right now.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I agree that Quandary and I have been lovely on posting. But I can confirm we are both Town.

Softclaim isn't going to help here, you know.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Been out of town for a bit. Will catch up, my apologies for missing a good chunk of the past few days.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think this all sounds like a cleverly orchestrated frame job on Jedit. I don't want to jump to a third-party conclusion yet.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

REALLY
if you want me to take you seriously, how about you post a reason why we shouldn't jump to said conclusion, and perhaps detail who you think is the mafia, or the mafia team? Can you explain why there were 2 deaths N2? Can you explain why you have the least voting activity of anybody in the game?

I really don't give a gently caress if you take me seriously or not, that's not how I play and operate.

I've been slacking the past week--both games I'm in have shown as much. My bad.

I think your miller bit against SamVimes is complete bullshit and you're looking for an easy way to push a case on someone that isn't you.

As far as multiple night-kill mechanisms go, who knows. For all we know, someone out there is a paranoid gun owner and they happened to have been visited by one of the two dead on Night 2. I don't expect them to claim it as it makes their ability worthless, just as I don't expect anyone to claim an extra night-kill at this point.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Everybody in this game is a bunch of lurkers.

In my experience, an SK still loses if the Mafia make up half or more of the town. Normal survivor would win at that point.

All third-party bullshit aside, we have 11 people alive. If you're that scared of LYLO, vote for a no-lynch today: Barring a horrible freak multiple death night, it'd give us another day to go on if we assume four scum, which isn't unreasonable for the game size.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Wasn't necessarily directed towards you, nor do I think it's anything more than stupid.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jedit posted:

We can't No Lynch unless Jake confirms Illuen will be modkilled. If we do and go to MYLO, we would not be able to lynch scum.

Don't use MYLO. It's a stupid term.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Someone give me a votecount.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##vote Jedit

I'll take the heat for it, we need to get out of the stupid MCED/Jedit slapfight and nobody else sees fit to get their precious wittle hands dirty.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I still hate the term "MYLO".

Either you're at the endgame or you're not. If we assume four scum, then it's endgame unless they hit someone bulletproof/protected. If we lynch a third party today, we're counting on them loving up the night-kill to not lose here.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hi. I'm Jaina. I'm cold, like ice cream, so I'm vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Generally completely unkillable people are balanced by the fact that they can't vote, aka stumps. One-shots are completely different.

##vote Illuen

Might as well test it. If he dies, it's game over. If he doesn't die and he isn't modkilled due to inactivity, we have another day. If he gets modkilled, game over anyway, good game, scum.

• Locked thread