Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Semper Fudge posted:

The Vertigo thread is on page 3 or some poo poo, so I ain't posting it there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/23/vertigo-comics-to-get-its-own-rebirth-at-eccc-for-july/

Assuming there's any truth to this, this is insanely good news. As long as Vertigo's creator owned contracts are as garbo as they currently are, they will never ever be a viable alternative to Image. Moving back to focusing on alternative takes on fifth-tier DC properties is by far the best thing they could be doing right now.

Betting that the second volume of Prez winds up under the Vertigo auspices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

The Vertigo thread is on page 3 or some poo poo, so I ain't posting it there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/23/vertigo-comics-to-get-its-own-rebirth-at-eccc-for-july/

Assuming there's any truth to this, this is insanely good news. As long as Vertigo's creator owned contracts are as garbo as they currently are, they will never ever be a viable alternative to Image. Moving back to focusing on alternative takes on fifth-tier DC properties is by far the best thing they could be doing right now.

I think it's a loving bummer that nobody cares about Vert's excellent current output. The fact that I'm pretty much the only person who'll post about Sheriff of Babylon and Unfollow every month is insane to me.

Also, the new exclusive contracts completely bar work outside of DC/Vert, as far as I'm aware, so any reduction in the ability to make a creator owned comic wouldn't be the greatest.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, the new exclusive contracts completely bar work outside of DC/Vert, as far as I'm aware, so any reduction in the ability to make a creator owned comic wouldn't be the greatest.

Wow, if that's true that's probably why we haven't heard more people being signed. Not being able to dabble in something with an Image or Dark Horse or Boom would probably be bit much for a lot of the bigger names.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Especially if a creator realizes they have gained enough popularity that their name can carry book sales. It's why you see Image lapping up talent out of Marvel and DC directly.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's a loving bummer that nobody cares about Vert's excellent current output. The fact that I'm pretty much the only person who'll post about Sheriff of Babylon and Unfollow every month is insane to me.

Gun to my head, the top six of the new Vertigo crop?

Sheriff of Babylon (in a just world, this will turn into the next generation's 60-issue opus that AMC drools to adapt 15 years from now)
Unfollow (Basic premise that keeps getting better through characterizations as detailed as the artwork)
Clean Room (Gail Simone unleashed, genuinely creepy in every issue)
Survivors' Club (Horror subgenre mashup, I saw people bitch about the first issue rushing through exposition but it lets the story hit the ground running, which does it a lot of favors really)
Jacked (Only one issue left! Ahhhh! Maybe Red Thorn / Slash & Burn can overtake this in time?)
Last Gang In Town (Once you get used to the unique style and rhythm, it takes on a life of its own with each issue)

DC commentary: I want Jonathan Hickman to call Gene Luen Yang before taking on any DC assignments, either to warn himself or to free Yang from editorial mandates. Superman's been such a drag, and I had high hopes for it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Wow, if that's true that's probably why we haven't heard more people being signed. Not being able to dabble in something with an Image or Dark Horse or Boom would probably be bit much for a lot of the bigger names.

It sounds kind of like DC is using the exclusivity contracts to build up an early Marvel-style "bullpen"—a stable of talented creators who can build out most of their comics line, and define a house style. It at least makes sense that they'd want to keep those creators locked down pretty tightly, even if it's a jerk as gently caress move.

If the US ever gets a proper first world healthcare system including universal coverage, I bet that comics creator exclusivity will become a lot more rare.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

LordPants posted:

It would be my first dc comic since the darwyn cooke watchmen one :toot:

Pardon my derail but everyone should, at least once in their lifetime, travel to Isotope Comics in SF to peep at this Darwyn toilet seat. It's unreal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BvS is a ridiculous overstuffed thing with ginormous issues, but I surely do enjoy me some Fourth World teases. :D

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/713032674978373632

Supersons is confirmed to have Damian and Jon Kent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/713032674978373632

Supersons is confirmed to have Damian and Jon Kent.

Well depending on the creative team that's one book I will be getting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's quite a belt.

It's gonna be Jurgens.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 24, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I always knew he was a WWE title contender

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/28534-first-glimpse-at-dc-s-june-2016-titles.html

quote:

Rebirth kicks off with DC Universe Rebirth #1 (originally announced as a May release), which Diamond reveals will have a Midnight release component. Additional June Rebirth titles are Superman Rebirth #1, Superman #1, Action Comics #957 and #958, Batman Rebirth #1, Batman #1, Detective Comics #934 and #935, Aquaman Rebirth #1, Aquaman #1, Flash Rebirth #1, Flash #1, Green Lanterns Rebirth #1, Green Lanterns #1, Green Arrow Rebirth #1, Green Arrow #1,Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 andWonder Woman #1, Titans Rebirth #1. Each are listed at $2.99, with a non-restricted variant cover version as well.

The “New 52” continues into June with a resolicited Justice League #51 along with Justice League #52, Justice League of America #12, Bloodlines #3, Cyborg #12, Constantine the Hellblazer #13, Earth 2 Society #13, Deathstroke #19, Doctor Fate #13, Red Hood & Arsenal #13, Legends of Tomorrow #4, Swamp Thing #6, New Suicide Squad #21, Suicide Squad’s Most Wanted: Deadshot/Katana #6, Teen Titans #21, Batman/Superman #33, Superman/Wonder Woman #30, Superman: The Coming of the Supermen #5, Harley Quinn #29 (with a variant), Harley’s Little Black Book #4 (with a variant), Harley Quinn & Her Gang of Harleys #3 (with a variant), Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life & Death #6, Robin: Son of Batman #13, and Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #6.

Additionally, DC has several annuals planned for it's "New 52" titles in June: Justice League of America Annual #1, Deathstroke Annual #2, Teen Titans Annual #2, Batman/Superman Annual #3, and Grayson Annual #3.

Outside the realm of “New 52” and Rebirth, June is scheduled to have Dark Knight III: The Master Race #6 (with six variants), DC Comics Bombshells #14, Legend of Wonder Woman #7, Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Five #11 and #12, Adventures of Supergirl #3 and #4, Batman: Europa Directors Cut #1, and the OGNs Teen Titans Earth One, Vol. 2 and DC Super Hero Girls: Finals Crisis.

DC’s Hanna-Barbera titles enter its second month, with second issues of Scooby Apocalypse (with a variant), Future Quest (with a variant), along with the debut of Wacky Raceland (with four variant covers).

In DC’s informal Cartoon Network line, Diamond lists Looney Tunes #231, Teen Titans Go #16 and Scooby Doo: Where Are You? #70.

And lastly, Mad Magazine #540.

:dance:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's quite a belt.

It's gonna be Jurgens.

This is cool. I like Damian slowly dressing like an ornate, Ra's al Ghul version of Robin. The super hoodie is great too. I hope these rad boys are good friends.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So DC abandoned it's DC YOU! Knockoff of Marvel NOW? And the NuBoot is DC Reboot? But NU 52 ongoings are still...ongoing (like JL Darkseid/Antimonitor War)?

Is that what's going on? I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars got underway.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's quite a belt.

It's gonna be Jurgens.

It's going to be Patrick Gleason on Super Sons. Don't you tell me it won't be!!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I think those are two of the worst costumes I've ever seen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dragonshirt posted:

I think those are two of the worst costumes I've ever seen.

They have nothing on Kitty Pryde.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Wait, who is Jon Kent in this? Is this somehow the kid from the Lois & Clark titles?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is Neal Adams Batman as batshit or more batshit then his superman? Cause holy poo poo I just read that and its one of the craziest things I have ever read.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Neal Adams Batman as batshit or more batshit then his superman? Cause holy poo poo I just read that and its one of the craziest things I have ever read.

Neal Adams' Batman is pretty nutso. I haven't read the Superman stuff yet, but the Batman thing just keeps piling on with the madness over and over. Find the Comics Alliance review series of it, because that's a great read.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

So DC abandoned it's DC YOU! Knockoff of Marvel NOW? And the NuBoot is DC Reboot? But NU 52 ongoings are still...ongoing (like JL Darkseid/Antimonitor War)?

Is that what's going on? I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars got underway.

Think of it like 2 pizzas smashing together.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FilthyImp posted:

As far as we know, DC Rebirth is basically just a mass cancellation of ongoing books and announcement of new ones, and resetting current books to #1 except for Action and Detective comics which are going back up to whatever they're supposed to be. We're still in New 52 continuity afaik, all that's happening is that DC is doing something it should have done with DC-YOU (renumber existing books), trimming the books that sold badly (basically every DC Rebirth book), announcing some new books (Blue Beetle, Superwoman, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, etc) and assigning new teams to existing books (Flash and Wonder Woman might finally get good writers/artists!).

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 24, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Nah. These've gotta be the final issues, except for stuff like the Hanna-Barbera comics and Neal Adams' Superman or whatever. Darkseid War will be over.

PantsOptional posted:

Wait, who is Jon Kent in this? Is this somehow the kid from the Lois & Clark titles?

Yup. Superman meets the other Superman in Tomasi's event. Presumably the kid gets his powers at the end of L+C and they come out of hiding.

e: They're already doing a Rebirth omnibus.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/24/dc-comics-rebirth-omnibus-for-december/

Rhyno posted:

Jon Kent shows he has powers in this week's L&C.

Well, I ain't got there yet!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup. Superman meets the other Superman in Tomasi's event. Presumably the kid gets his powers at the end of L+C and they come out of hiding.

e: They're already doing a Rebirth omnibus.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/24/dc-comics-rebirth-omnibus-for-december/

Jon Kent shows he has powers in this week's L&C.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

bobkatt013 posted:

They have nothing on Kitty Pryde.

I don't know, man. That Superboy is awful, but that Robin outfit is on a whole new level of garbage. I might need to see some side-by-side comparisons to think there is something actively worse out there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's be cool if there was a two year time jump for Rebirth and Damian had an awful teen mustache.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dragonshirt posted:

I don't know, man. That Superboy is awful, but that Robin outfit is on a whole new level of garbage. I might need to see some side-by-side comparisons to think there is something actively worse out there.

Just look http://13thdimension.com/x-men-week-the-crazy-costumes-of-kitty-pryde/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Though I'm pretty sure that Kitty's terrible costumes were all done intentionally.

That said, I think the costumes on the boys are fine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a recent story in the comics specifically about Kitty having the worst costumes ever. I kinda like the Robin, but Jon is kinda sloppy.

EDIT:

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 24, 2016

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I think the big difference there is that the Kitty stuff is obviously a running gag, but somewhere on this planet someone drew that Robin costume and actually thought it looked cool. Or that a hoodie looked good with a cape. Seriously, that Superboy (?) looks like a slight variation on Quailman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why is it a bad thing for a twelve year old superhero to look like a twelve year old kid dressed up like a superhero for fun, exactly

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Jeans and a zip-up jacket: The worst costume ever apparently.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dragonshirt posted:

I think the big difference there is that the Kitty stuff is obviously a running gag, but somewhere on this planet someone drew that Robin costume and actually thought it looked cool. Or that a hoodie looked good with a cape. Seriously, that Superboy (?) looks like a slight variation on Quailman.

He has had a hoodie/cape his entire time he has been robin and its a pretty good costume.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Travis343 posted:

Why is it a bad thing for a twelve year old superhero to look like a twelve year old kid dressed up like a superhero for fun, exactly

Because we have to look at the fucker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love the new Superboy outfit. I like when super heroes look comfy. Not my favorite look for Damian, but it's a good idea to make him look more like an rear end in a top hat when he's teaming up with a Superman family character.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hey, we here at DC heard you like Superman with a Tee. So we're giving all our heroes normal clothes. Here's a kid with a hoodie.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Hey, we here at DC heard you like Superman with a Tee. So we're giving all our heroes normal clothes. Here's a kid with a hoodie.

His hoodie isn't exactly new.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Our first look at Post rebirth Batman & Supes

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/713397564540735492

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hard to tell if it's using Capullo's new Batman suit. Soup's got the BvS:DOJ belt?
Here's the new Batsuit from Batman #50

The yellow edge to the emblem might just be real small and lost to the motion blur, and the pointed pouches on the belt upside down?

I think I'll try to start the Rebirth thread at 9amPT with the livestream, then update the OP. It'll be 4am here in NZ, so no promises!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread