Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
The '90s bit I think is why other people respond so negatively to it. To me it kinda looks like a 90's-ish Immonen in need of an internal editor with inking that's doing it no favors and a background that looks like art from an old World of Darkness book (and on another look, those guns indeed loving suck). The coloring could work, it's just a 90's as gently caress aesthetic. So it's not quite inexcusable for Big Two artwork but it's an aesthetic that I was completely sick of 15 years ago, and it's not getting better with age. That and the guns, the inking, and the background. So lots of things, actually.

Midnighter, Dr. Fate, Prez, and We Are Robin look cool, anyway. I might be picking up some DC for the first time since Azzarello's Wonder Woman ended (does Multiversity count? I don't feel like Multiversity counts). My DC bridges feel pretty burnt, but drastically loosening editorial control is pretty much the only thing they could do to win me back, so here we are. Hopefully that's actually what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why is batman a robot?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

frajaq posted:

Why is batman a robot?

Bruce is super dead for real this time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Who killed bruce?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

frajaq posted:

Who killed bruce?

This guilty motherfucker.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bruce is super dead for real this time.

I thought they weren't even pretending this time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

frajaq posted:

Why is batman a robot?

Because rabbits and 80s mecha anime are the new hotness! Gotta get the kids interested while they're still watching their Yo! MTV Raps

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You joke but

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

frajaq posted:

Why is batman a robot?

I honestly believe it's because Scott Snyder is trying to see what DC will let him get away with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobby posted:

The '90s bit I think is why other people respond so negatively to it. To me it kinda looks like a 90's-ish Immonen in need of an internal editor with inking that's doing it no favors and a background that looks like art from an old World of Darkness book (and on another look, those guns indeed loving suck). The coloring could work, it's just a 90's as gently caress aesthetic. So it's not quite inexcusable for Big Two artwork but it's an aesthetic that I was completely sick of 15 years ago, and it's not getting better with age. That and the guns, the inking, and the background. So lots of things, actually.

Midnighter, Dr. Fate, Prez, and We Are Robin look cool, anyway. I might be picking up some DC for the first time since Azzarello's Wonder Woman ended (does Multiversity count? I don't feel like Multiversity counts). My DC bridges feel pretty burnt, but drastically loosening editorial control is pretty much the only thing they could do to win me back, so here we are. Hopefully that's actually what they're doing.

Those things are all other people's jobs in an actual comic book, aren't they?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Drawing guns, learning to erase some more lines, and moving past Dark City aren't.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nobby posted:

Drawing guns, learning to erase some more lines, and moving past Dark City aren't.

The Dark City aesthetic goes with Jason's direction as a more street level kind of vigilante.

If you haven't noticed through the solicits, RH/A is all about embracing the general tone of the 90's and both poke fun at it and making it cool (I mean, they're fighting loving killer mimes on issue 2)

Other than the odd posture, I can't find anything wrong with the pistols. Medri's obviously not aiming for realism there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yannick_B posted:

I honestly believe it's because Scott Snyder is trying to see what DC will let him get away with.

Well apparently he's hinted Cassandra Cain is coming back, so making Commissioner Gordon Batbunny is small potatoes in comparison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jiro posted:

Because rabbits and 80s mecha anime are the new hotness! Gotta get the kids interested while they're still watching their Yo! MTV Raps

Agreed. I am ready for Batekkaman Blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmX564UTabE

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Um, excuse me, I think you mean Mobile Police Batlabor.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty obviously Batpleseed I think Capullo even namedropped that one

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm excited for Bizarro and you should be too.
Also I am going to give Prez a shot even though I am not really a big fan of the concept (well not as much as I was initially).
Dr. Fate looks like it will be interesting as well so I'll give that a shot, if just for the art alone.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I just read the first trade of World's End and everyone who put it in league with the abysmal Futures End is a burning-pants liar. I wish I'd been supporting that book instead; it's got all of the high stakes, consequences, linked storylines, and supervillainy that Futures so sorely lacked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Travis343 posted:

It's pretty obviously Batpleseed I think Capullo even namedropped that one

On second look, I can also see some Vifam in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwszwb3aIPg

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Design is subjective
Wrongo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

How?

I've been on a lot of places talking about the new designs and the same amount of people who doesn't like the design is roughly the same that likes it. Even in this very same forum there has been people who found the new design better than any other of Jason's designs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've been on a lot of places talking about the new designs

I don't believe there's another forum with half as much Red Hood talk as this one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't believe there's another forum with half as much Red Hood talk as this one.

I don't believe the Author talks about the Red Hood as much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, CBR has a dedicated thread for Red Hood, there's plenty of talk on tumblr, Medri's devianart account has plenty of watchers and actually I'm co admin of the RHATO (soon to get a name change) fanpage on Facebook :v:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't believe the Author talks about the Red Hood as much.

Lobdell isn't big on social media and was somewhat bitter after being unceremoniously removed from RHATO two years ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw the quotes so I had to click and we already established that you post the same poo poo on CBR that you post here and would you just oval office off already?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

That's literally it. He's said that he wanted to just go loving crazy and Endgame gave him the opportunity to do exactly that. I cannot loving wait, because the last time Snyder did Batman-But-Not-Bruce he loving rocked it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm co admin of the RHATO (soon to get a name change) fanpage on Facebook

Beautiful

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

You joke but

Oh my god I hope Bat-bunny has Good Luck Mode built in.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Equeen posted:

Also, the writer is David Walker, a black dude with an extensive knowlegde of African-American cinema and worked with Quentin Tarantino, Aaron McGruder and Reginald Hudlin.

Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther run was racist as poo poo so that doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I'm impressed he hasn't killed the other guy yet

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

Um, excuse me, I think you mean Mobile Police Batlabor.

I knew I was forgetting one. Personally I would have preferred to have Gotham have another Cataclysm and "Nu Batteman" go all Fist of the North Star, wandering each slum and neighborhood.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Whizbang posted:

Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther run was racist as poo poo so that doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

So you're ignoring the rest of Walker's work due to his past association with Hudlin?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How?

I've been on a lot of places talking about the new designs and the same amount of people who doesn't like the design is roughly the same that likes it. Even in this very same forum there has been people who found the new design better than any other of Jason's designs.
How much you like a design is subjective. Whether a design is good or bad can be, and often is, objectively evaluated. For instance, no one will ever look at this:

and say it's a good design. Because it's not. It's awful. But it's supposed to be; that's the entire point. But I like it because it's exactly what a dumb young teen in the 70s would make as a costume she thinks is cool.

That said, I don't think the Red Hood costume is a bad design, per se, but it's about half a step removed from the UDON Taskmaster design, hoodie and all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's only page 2 of this new baby thread and half of it is already the DT Red Hood Awesome Hour. :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

How much you like a design is subjective. Whether a design is good or bad can be, and often is, objectively evaluated. For instance, no one will ever look at this:

and say it's a good design. Because it's not. It's awful. But it's supposed to be; that's the entire point. But I like it because it's exactly what a dumb young teen in the 70s would make as a costume she thinks is cool.

That said, I don't think the Red Hood costume is a bad design, per se, but it's about half a step removed from the UDON Taskmaster design, hoodie and all.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation.

The hoodie addition is obviously editorial wanting to ride the coat tails of Arkham Knigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8kCPAiO8_M

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If anything, it reeks of Johnsian Literalism to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

If anything, it reeks of Johnsian Literalism to me.

Well, Johns DID have a hand on Arkham Knight's plot.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

a hoodie for the Red Hood makes more sense than a helmet. Also DT it's not a bad drawing or costume but you are exceptionally easy to make fun of, and your obsession in the character colors my perception of him more than any writing or drawing does.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Can we just make a D_T quarantine thread and be done with it already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Why is Batman CHAPPiE?

• Locked thread