Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the rokka ending, or epilogue really, is the worst epilogue in the last decade of anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The worst epilogue is probably not Rokka but instead something boring that no one remembers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

the rokka ending, or epilogue really, is the worst epilogue in the last decade of anime

Chaos Dragon just happened, you know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Clannad After Story is the one that sticks out to me but that may be more than a decade ago at this point. I don't know.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Good thing "last decade" excludes Mahoromatic, because that was the granddaddy of all "gently caress you, audience" epilogues.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
What happened to barfmonster girl though, is she alive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Barfmonster girl saved the day, and is now in a comedy duo with the catboy hitman.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

predicting the end that would come, she could not stop puking which led to her death

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Which is similar to my reaction after finishing it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Is the Rokka thread worth reading now that it is over? I stopped reading it once people got the LNs and started posting like it was a TVIV Game of Thrones thread or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nope

I started reading it again for some reason tho.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thoom posted:

Good thing "last decade" excludes Mahoromatic, because that was the granddaddy of all "gently caress you, audience" epilogues.
To be fair, that was prior to the manga ending being released, which was much better.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Welp, Bikini Warriors is over.

I hope we get an OVA about the comically mismatched lesbian couple, Hunter and Valkyrie. They were the best part of the show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Love Story is anime of the year

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

The finale was really good, but AotY is still Shirobako.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

That's not really fair to My Love Story. If you count shows from where they begin, there's no competition, and if you count from where they end, it loses to JJBA, which isn't a choice you should have to make.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

unpronounceable posted:

The finale was really good, but AotY is still Shirobako.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's actually Non Non Biyori.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please, this is a serious thread. Do NOT fake post in here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was a serious post for such a serious thread.

To be honest I might put Shirobako above MLS too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched one episode of that VA show from this season and can't remember anything about Shirobako now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's Wakako-Zake.

C'mon, guys. this isn't hard

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

It's Wakako-Zake.

C'mon, guys. this isn't hard

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shirobako was just so incredibly good and kept me tuning in week after week

I liked the few episodes of MLS I saw tho I decided to wait for episodes to accumulate and welp I realize I should probably go back to it at some point

Shirobako is just such a fantastic show that came out of nowhere though, and it's okay for something to not match up to it since it'd be unfair to hold everything up to that high a standard

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shirobako could have just been some inside baseball wankery, but it had a lot of heart to it, instead. And that really elevated it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Shirobako was just so incredibly good and kept me tuning in week after week

I liked the few episodes of MLS I saw tho I decided to wait for episodes to accumulate and welp I realize I should probably go back to it at some point

Shirobako is just such a fantastic show that came out of nowhere though, and it's okay for something to not match up to it since it'd be unfair to hold everything up to that high a standard

I did the same thing for MLS and blew threw the rest of the series last weekend and the finale is fantastic. Enjoy the show when you catch up on it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really had no idea where Shirobako was going a lot of the time, so it was pretty riveting at times. Like a favorite underdog sports team you really wanted them to succeed against the odds.

MLS has a huge amount of heart and I love most of the characters but there was never any question how most/any of the plot lines would get resolved. That's why I would probably put Shirobako a bit above it. Still great of course.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Been a real great year for anime, and there's two more seasons to go!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure if it ranks as AOTY given the competition, but Euphonium was another exceptionally solid show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Darth Walrus posted:

Not sure if it ranks as AOTY given the competition, but Euphonium was another exceptionally solid show.
The only knock I'd give Euphonium is that it's still relatively incomplete, being what seems like the first arc of a larger/better whole. What is there is brilliant though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nate RFB posted:

I really had no idea where Shirobako was going a lot of the time, so it was pretty riveting at times. Like a favorite underdog sports team you really wanted them to succeed against the odds.

MLS has a huge amount of heart and I love most of the characters but there was never any question how most/any of the plot lines would get resolved. That's why I would probably put Shirobako a bit above it. Still great of course.

This is sorta how I feel. MLS was definitely stellar, but for like the second half of the show, the arcs felt too contained to consecutive episode pairs. Shirobako took longer to cover character development events and I think that made the payoff of certain arcs (i'm looking at you, episode 23) all the richer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Srice posted:

Shirobako could have just been some inside baseball wankery, but it had a lot of heart to it, instead. And that really elevated it

Goth loli Koushien

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

graybook posted:

This is sorta how I feel. MLS was definitely stellar, but for like the second half of the show, the arcs felt too contained to consecutive episode pairs. Shirobako took longer to cover character development events and I think that made the payoff of certain arcs (i'm looking at you, episode 23) all the richer.

Is 23 Crying Aoi?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I stopped watching MLS after the fire-in-restaurant episode early on. It seemed far too one-note for it to be worth watching.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nielsm posted:

I stopped watching MLS after the fire-in-restaurant episode early on. It seemed far too one-note for it to be worth watching.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
fortunately it stops being a Thing around that time

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

my love story isn't the anime of the season (working)or of the year (shirobako or snafu S2). nor is is it the best series by that author (koukou debut) or by that studio (chihayafuru). also i prefer the manga

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think MLS is an excellent show for what it is, but honestly I'm pretty tired of high school romcoms, even if MLS tries to put a fresh spin on it. I certainly wouldn't consider it necessary viewing the way Shirobako was.

Top series this year for me:

1. Shirobako
2. Euphonium
3. probably tied between MLS and Gatchaman Crowds Insight.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

my love story isn't the anime of the season (working)or of the year (shirobako or snafu S2). nor is is it the best series by that author (koukou debut) or by that studio (chihayafuru). also i prefer the manga

:agreed: take all my upvotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AOTY is gonna be a bloodbath this year....

• Locked thread