Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

My wish list for seasons 4 and 5 is pretty much this:

-More thirsty Miku
-More Chris being the eternal third wheel
-Chris is finally no longer the eternal third wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

She has such an wide range. Elfnein, Carol, and grown up Carol all sound very different in their anime an in their songs.

Leaving aside her insert song, tomorrow and Green Green sound utterly different.

It's amazing.

Sidenote, Elfnein is voiced by someone else, I think.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

Sidenote, Elfnein is voiced by someone else, I think.

Wait, really?

Cause I was always under the impression that Green Green was Elfnein's song, given the tone of the song.

Are we sure that Misaki Kuno isn't actually just a pen name for Inori Minase?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They work for different agencies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Largepotato posted:

They work for different agencies.

All part of the con.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I guess her doubts and whatnot might make her human, but I feel like her sense of morality isn't really human.
Hibiki is really hosed up, but I wouldn't really call her 'inhuman.'

Basically, due to her survivor's guilt thing (remember Tsubasa calling her out on that) she views herself as kind of, well, a bad person. That's mellowed out a bit as the series has gone on, but she's never really gotten over it like you might expect. So when she sees Fine or Carol or whoever, she doesn't go 'look at that evil person,' she just goes 'Oh, they're a bad person. Like me. But they can try to be better, right? Like I am.' and that's why she has the gentlest fist in the world.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Hibiki is really hosed up, but I wouldn't really call her 'inhuman.'

Basically, due to her survivor's guilt thing (remember Tsubasa calling her out on that) she views herself as kind of, well, a bad person. That's mellowed out a bit as the series has gone on, but she's never really gotten over it like you might expect. So when she sees Fine or Carol or whoever, she doesn't go 'look at that evil person,' she just goes 'Oh, they're a bad person. Like me. But they can try to be better, right? Like I am.' and that's why she has the gentlest fist in the world.

Huh, I never considered that. It makes a lot of sense from that perspective.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
What are you talking about? "Fighting is bad, everyone should be friends, I will save everyone, it doesn't matter what you've done, I forgive you," is like, idealistic heroic protagonist 101. Hibiki just frames it slightly differently when talking about it because of the survivor's guilt thing. Honestly, until you look at the absolute nitty gritty, that part isn't even that unusual. Within this ideal of heroism, a heroic character not believing themself to be heroic only makes them more so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the nitty gritty is what makes everything interesting and cool tho

besides we're discussing Hibiki forgiving Fine, which is a weird thing to do especially since it happened literally 2 seconds after she tried to majora's mask everyone. You're right that forgiving people is a big part of the whole heroic ideal thing but it's usually never taken that extreme. Most characters like that, even in shows made for literal five year olds, hit a point where they're confronted with evil that they can't forgive, or someone who rejects their forgiveness.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hibiki forgiving Fine is largely because she knew Ryoko for literally the entire show and wanted to believe that the relationship they had wasn't a lie. It was also the closer to the whole "did I change myself or did somebody else change me?" thing that kept popping up across the season; Fine ultimately had to change herself, but she couldn't do that until she had hit absolute rock bottom. She utterly lost, flipped the world off in revenge, laughed about how she would be alone for eternity and... was forgiven anyways. It was a pretty nice moment.

I thought Carol was weirder because Hibiki barely knew her and pretty much just saved her because she could. And this was after Carol wipes out a big chunk of the world's population. Not even putting the world in imminent (but avertable) danger like Fine did, she just straight up disassembled a poo poo ton of people and this is never even brought up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

(future = miku, wings = tsubasa, translator's note)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

(future = miku, wings = tsubasa, translator's note)

Something about this, the poetic and self-referential language they use really often for lyrics and dialogue, creates the perfect dramatic tone for this show. It's one of my favorite things about it. It's not pretentious, but it's substantive, and it perfectly serves the main themes of the show- the desperate odds, the support they all give to each other being the thing that wins the day, the sincere performance aspect of everything being a modern sentai j-pop opera, and the yuri. I'm glad the translators for Symphogear have always been so enthusiastic and readily identified this stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, the lyrics are always really good

even dark oblivion's lyrics are good

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

I'd say "Get a room" but they already have one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The subtext in Hibiki and Miku's songs is so explicit that it's just straight up text in their duet. It's the best.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the word subtext surrounded by enough quotation marks to breach the limits of our universe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

don't be subtext, just be loud

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

and proud

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

don't be subtext, just be loud

aoiyuukiscreaming.mp3 (59:34)

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's still subtext until they kiss and get married

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

It's still subtext until they kiss and get married

They share a bed most of the time, apparently. They might already be common-law married.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What I wanna see in series 4 is interaction between Chris and Maria. I think their respective pasts could result in some interesting interaction.

And of course, Tsubasa would just be sitting off to the side going "good, good".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tokiwa_SG/status/728225321602850816

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 5, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SeHNNG/status/730150838845333504
https://twitter.com/SeHNNG/status/730150348594290688

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/jyudo_fu/status/732187090985750529

e: happened across this on twitter and felt like I might as well post it here: the GX character single covers as wallpapers
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0615ow5sb7tn0/Symphogear_GX_wallpapers

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 18, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/drilogear/status/739537655814201344

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

oh dear christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dragon ball... Definitely not dragon balls...

• Locked thread