Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SYMPHOGEAR IS BACK WITH A THIRD SEASON. LET'S HOPE IT GETS AS STUPID AS THE FIRST TWO SEASONS.

NEW PV (as of 24 June; thanks UP AND ADAM): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcpO8S8tvY

:siren: :siren: :siren:
FULL AUDIO FOR OPENING: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659x2xV0RBY
(thanks again UP AND ADAM)

What the dink happened in the first two seasons

I really suggest just going through and watching the prior episodes because the show is a beautiful mishmash of idiocy and high-octane hot-bloodedness. But if you just want to read about what to know from each season, here goes:

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-falling, Burning, and Disappear, then...
The world has faced an alien threat in the form of Noise, creatures which cannot be harmed by conventional means. Special weapons were developed - the Symphogears - which are used by young women in order to combat the Noise. Two years before the main part of the story, the idol duo ZweiWing consisting of Tsubasa Kazanari and Kanade Amou came under attack at one of their concerts. Both were Symphogear users, but amidst the combat, in order to save the life of a girl who was gravely wounded, Kanade sings her "Swan Song", which destroys the noise but ends up killing her.
Two years later, the girl whose life was saved, Hibiki Tachibana, ends up being able to manifest the power of Gungnir, the Symphogear wielded by Kanade. She fights alongside Tsubasa, whose Symphogear is Ame no Habakiri, combating the noise and eventually confronting the figure controlling the Noise: an ancient priestess known as Finé. She reveals that she fell in love with God himself and was involved in building the Tower of Babel to reach him, but that God destroyed it and created the moon as a curse, that humanity would not be able to understand each other. Throughout the ages, she has awakened in her descendants in order to further the goal of destroying the moon and freeing humanity from the Curse of Balal. Hibiki and Tsubasa are joined by another Symphogear user, Chris Yukine, in their fight to stop Finé. They are successful, but a superweapon built by Finé does manage to blow off a chunk of the moon.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star became Music...
Months later, in the midst of her concert with Tsubasa, the idol Maria Cadenzavna Eve reveals herself to be a Symphogear user, but using a black version of Gungnir. She also reveals her affiliation with the organization Finé, claiming to have control over the Noise. She, along with the Symphogear users Kirika Akatsuki and Shirabe Tsukuyomi, and the scientists Dr. Ver and Dr. Nastassja, seek a way to - and successfully manage to - activate a landmass known as the Frontier, controlled by the heart of a creature known as the Nephilim. Upon doing so, though, Dr. Ver reveals his true plan: accelerate the collision of the Moon into the Earth, and repopulate the Earth himself. Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Chris, along with Maria, Kirika, and Shirabe, fight against Dr. Ver. The moon is restabilized in orbit, and the Symphogear users also fight against the Nephilim unleashed by Dr. Ver, eventually pushing it into the dimension of the Noise and defeating it within, also sealing off the dimension in the process, bringing peace to the world.

Until whatever happens to necessitate this season of ridiculous sing-fighting, that is.

P.S. Apparently Dr. Ver's full name is "John Wayne Vercingetorix" and that kicks multiple kinds of rear end.

tl;dr: Girls fight aliens using song-powered weapon systems. It's over the top and stupid and it wouldn't work any other way.

Who the dink am I supposed to care about

(I'll replace these with visuals from GX in time)

Hibiki Tachibana (voiced by Aoi Yuuki)
A bit of a screwball and an airhead, but a girl with determination unlike any other. Wielder of Gungnir, but just punches and kicks stuff to death (as opposed to Kanade's spear when she wielded Gungnir). Instead of a weapon, her Armed Gear is literally the power of holding hands. No, I'm not kidding, watch the second episode of G where they say pretty much just that.

Tsubasa Kazanari (Hey kids! It's Mark Hamill Nana Mizuki!)
Formerly half of the idol duo ZweiWing, now solo idol and wielder of Ame no Habakiri, a Symphogear focusing on close combat using a sword. Stoic as heck.

Chris Yukine (voiced by Ayahi Takagaki)
Wielder of Ichaival, a Symphogear focusing on projectile combat. Best songs, best girl. (s1) Once fought for Finé, but eventually joined the 2nd Division. ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU

Genjurou Kazanari (voiced by Hideo Ishikawa)
Commander of the Special Disaster Task Force 2nd Division, which manages the Symphogear program and helps protect humankind. The greatest master of kung fu ever, and the truest man to ever live. The strongest character in the entire show I'm not even joking. Pretty much too powerful to wield a Symphogear if the option were open. Basically imagine if Lysandre from Pokemon X/Y became an earthbender.

Shinji Ogawa (voiced by Soichiro Hoshi)
In public, Tsubasa's manager; in private, an employee of the 2nd Division. Actually a ninja. No, I'm not joking. Too great to not be included on this list.

Miku Kohinata (voiced by Yuka Iguchi)
Hibiki's roommate at Lydian Academy, and her 'sunshine'. (s2) Turned into the wielder of Shenshou Jing, a Symphogear made from an ancient mirror relic that created laser attacks.

Maria Cadenzavna Eve (voiced by Yoko Hikasa)
Another famous idol and a former subject of an experiment that tested Symphogear compatibility, which her sister did not survive. Former wielder of the black Gungnir, current wielder of Airgetlám (previously used by her sister).

Kirika Akatsuki (voiced by Ai Kayano)
Now-formerly affiliated with the organization Finé and at one point believed to be the next reincarnation of Finé. Wielder of Igalima, a Symphogear focusing on scythe-based combat.

Shirabe Tsukuyomi (voiced by Yoshino Nanjo)
Now-formerly affiliated with the organization Finé and the actual next reincarnation of Finé, until Finé sacrificed her soul in order for Shirabe to live. Wielder of Shul Shagana, a Symphogear with... um... buzz-saw based combat. Whatever.

What the dink should I expect this season

Expect some dark poo poo, apparently. According to a statement by Nana Mizuki, the story "carries on the spirit of the previous seasons," but "this time it is particularly heavy". She apparently needed to clear her head after reading the scenario and took a full week to write the lyrics of the opening theme (vs. a cited 2 days for Vitalization, the Symphogear G opening). Furthermore, when the scriptwriter finished the job, apparently he fell mysteriously ill for three weeks and the composer took even longer than usual to finish GX's songs.

Hoo boy.

Description from ANN posted:

After the frontier incident, everyone who knew the circumstances believed the Noise were gone and the pain they caused was at an end. But a new conflict approached unseen. In the Yokohama Harbor Oosan-bashi Pier, a new pattern is detected that is similar to the Noise. A combat group wielding mysterious technology stands in the way of Hibiki and the others. When she hears of this enemy of unprecedented strength, Tsubasa hurries back home from England. But the Symphogear users see no opening to counterattack are forced into a difficult fight. In this situation of extreme disparity, the battle for the song that will end the world begins.

When does this air and where can I subject myself to this piece of dink

For catching up, Funimation has the first season subbed, but there doesn't seem to be a similar source for the second season. Maybe it'll get put onto Crunchyroll/Hulu/etc sometime?

Crunchyroll has picked up this season for streaming, though! http://www.crunchyroll.com/symphogear

Seriously this is trash welcome to my ignore list
Yes, it is trash. It's poorly-written, inconsistent, bad with characterization, and a host of other similar issues. Just turn your brain off and join in as we wonder how the plot tries to one-up itself in the next 23 minutes or so.

"Believe in justice and hold a determination to fist?" Japan why are you promoting fisting
This season's bonkers title is a translation of the title to Hibiki's fight song from G, "正義を信じて、握り締めて", if I recall correctly. I'll have to find a source on that again.

graybook fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I basically randomly decided to watch the first episode of Symphogear a litle after G finished airing.

In a few days I was totally finished because :allears:

probably the show I'm most hype for this season, let's hope Miku still gets to use crazy laser powers and Genjurou gets the screentime he deserves, goddamn I love genjurou

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
We'll see. (s2 spoilers, out of consideration for others) The Shenshou Jing got hit by its own beam, erasing it, though, and I'm not sure if Miku would get it back. I can't imagine she'd get it back unless there are like some other remnants of the relic hiding out there in the world.

Genjurou is the best yes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This series is good and dumb.

Nana Mizuki is always cool too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's to more inexplicably berserk Hibiki. :black101:

Not sure how they'll find a villain who chews through scenery as quickly as Sugita Tomokazu though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seem to remember the second season of this making absolutely no sense whatsoever. But then I'm not sure the first one did either. Still watching this though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

s3 designs http://imgur.com/a/6Zhyw

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

brb replacing OP images with these where applicable

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So when does s3 air? Season 2 was much better then the first one so I hope we get something as good or better this time too.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
This show is so delightfully over the top and absurd, it's impossible to hate it. I'll be along for the entire GX ride, no matter what insane plot it decides to go with.

Though, I'm surprised they stuck with keeping Tsubasa's friend dead from the first episode on. Both seasons were bad about characters seemingly being killed, but come back moments later, but they've actually stuck to her being dead.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sylphid posted:

This show is so delightfully over the top and absurd, it's impossible to hate it. I'll be along for the entire GX ride, no matter what insane plot it decides to go with.

Though, I'm surprised they stuck with keeping Tsubasa's friend dead from the first episode on. Both seasons were bad about characters seemingly being killed, but come back moments later, but they've actually stuck to her being dead.

This season, I know it

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

"Moments later" is probably the trick. Kanade friggin' disintegrated, though, but then again almost nothing is impossible in this show if you sing hard enough.

Demicol posted:

So when does s3 air? Season 2 was much better then the first one so I hope we get something as good or better this time too.

Starts sometime in July for summer season, no hard date yet though, as far as I've seen.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh yeah, Kanade was her name. Anyway, before I watched the second episode of the second season, I thought Maria was going to be like her evil reincarnation or some such. After all, singing can do anything in this show's universe.

The Engrish is also awesome. Fine's first conversation in the first season was some of the most jaw-dropping Engrish I've ever heard. If there weren't subtitles, I wouldn't have understood a drat thing she was saying.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Ah gently caress I didn't realize zenbu season 3 was this season, I still need to watch season 2. This year has been bad for me and sequels to shows I never watched.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
http://symphogear.blogspot.jp/2015/05/a-look-into-development-of-symphogear.html

A translated 4-page-manga giving a behind-the-scenes look at Satelight, in anticipation of S3!

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
So here are the designs of the antagonists:

And apparently 4 characters in the middle aren't even human and just automatic dolls called "Autoscorers" (and they're belong to and take care of a girl on the right).

And here are their names and seiyuus (taken from here):

Carol Mars Dienheim (girl on the right) - Inori Minase
Elfnine (girl on the left)- Misaki Kuno
Mika Jawkān - Shiori Izawa
Leah Darāhim - Shizuka Ishigami
Gali Tūmān - Michiyo Murase
Fallah Suyūf - Masumi Tazawa

Another fun fact: apparently the surnames of the dolls are from the 4 suits of Mamluk playing cards (polo sticks, coins, cups and swords).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Three chances for Yukari Tamura as a villain, none are taken. What a shame.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Justin_Brett posted:

Three chances for Yukari Tamura as a villain, none are taken. What a shame.

I thought she had announced her retirement (despite her roles in Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic and Danna ga Nani s2 this season).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought we still hadn't heard anything official on that.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
A series in which heroism is powered by song, the world knows that they are being saved by magical girls on a regular basis, the Moon gets shot up a little more each season and the commanding officer is basically Taiga from GaoGaiGar crossed with a Street Fighter character.

Welcome BACK you glorious maniacs. :kamina:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If this is as good as season 2 my body is not ready and cannot possible be ready for this. I currently have high hopes, but I dunno if they can hit on something like that great blend from S2 while still keeping it fresh.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah what's the deal with so many animes where the moon just gets punched or blown up or are places of evil horribleness

like what the hell did the moon do to japan, all it does is sit there and chill

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah what's the deal with so many animes where the moon just gets punched or blown up or are places of evil horribleness

like what the hell did the moon do to japan, all it does is sit there and chill

I think it steals their princesses or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a big, obvious target for an 'oh poo poo' moment and would have an immediate impact on the world unlike destroying half of Mars or something.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Where are all the fight scene gifs?

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 9, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This anime has some great scenes: http://a.pomf.se/zuflag.webm

Platinum needs to make a Symphogear game where you're Tsubasa

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

UP AND ADAM posted:

Tsubasa is best

Giant Footsword is my favorite thing

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Wait this show is actually good enough to get a third season? I never watched it but it looked like more magical girl anime hypetrain when it first aired.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Okay yeah, I need to watch this stupid show for idiots.

I mean because of the video linked in the gif, not the gif itself.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 9, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

UP AND ADAM posted:

Oh please, they should obviously make one with all 3 main girls, since they already have gun, punch and slice games in their backlog and even games like Devil May Cry that allow you to mix it up, albeit with one character. Having a game where you could swap them out on the fly would be fantastic. I also cannot wait for the new seasons of this, and hope they can manage to make Shirabe, Kirika and Maria even half as fun as the main trio this season, since they fell kind of flat last season for the most part. Shirabe has a great gear though, between the buzzsaw rollerskates, buzzsaw helicopter and buzzsaw mech so I really want to see her get a bit more shine.

Edit: I hope Chris gets to use that sniper rifle attack they teased last season but never followed though on for reasons.

arisu posted:

Wait this show is actually good enough to get a third season? I never watched it but it looked like more magical girl anime hypetrain when it first aired.

It's dumb as gently caress, but it's fully aware of how silly it is and just has fun with it. It's a show about magical girls who sing during combat to power their weapons and armor and the main character's weapon is holding hands. Watch some of the gifs or look up some videos on Youtube if you want a taste of the show's brand of crazy, because it's basically all those fight scenes and comedy intermixed for 12 episodes of stupid crazy fun and it's great for it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 9, 2015

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I love dumb as gently caress crazy, I'm watching this season's Grisaia.

Guess I'll go give this show a whirl.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Post your reactions in here as you watch. I doubt anyone will mind, those kind of things are usually fun when dealing with silly shows and it'll keep the thread active for a while as we wait for the new season. I must re-watch the show again before the new season airs myself actually, and grab the comedy OVAs since I still haven't seen those.

Edit: Actually, given that there's only what...24 episodes and some comedy shorts, and we have roughly a month to the new season, I wonder if the thread is up for an impromptu simulwatch of the first two seasons in anticipation of the new one, at a rate of one episode a day?

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2015

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I can give you reactions but it won't be about episode 1 I think because somehow I got that plot twist spoiled for me years ago.

After that however we'll see what happens!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

tsob posted:

Post your reactions in here as you watch. I doubt anyone will mind, those kind of things are usually fun when dealing with silly shows and it'll keep the thread active for a while as we wait for the new season. I must re-watch the show again before the new season airs myself actually, and grab the comedy OVAs since I still haven't seen those.

Edit: Actually, given that there's only what...24 episodes and some comedy shorts, and we have roughly a month to the new season, I wonder if the thread is up for an impromptu simulwatch of the first two seasons in anticipation of the new one, at a rate of one episode a day?

I'd happily support it.

SO. According to our favorite Symphogear-focused news blog, a 2chan schedule listing leak pegs Symphogear GX for airing on July 4th at 1 AM Japan time.

Maybe something like:
Start S1 the 10th, watch last two episodes on the 20th
Start S2 the 21st, watch last two episodes on the 1st July, comedy OVAs on the 2nd, giving a couple-day breather by the time GX rolls around?

I've never done simulwatch stuff before but I'm personally busy until Wednesday and I'd like to participate in this cavalcade of reliving the crazy. Then again, Symphogear waits for no one, so folks can start whenever they want.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tsob posted:

Oh please, they should obviously make one with all 3 main girls, since they already have gun, punch and slice games in their backlog and even games like Devil May Cry that allow you to mix it up, albeit with one character. Having a game where you could swap them out on the fly would be fantastic. I also cannot wait for the new seasons of this, and hope they can manage to make Shirabe, Kirika and Maria even half as fun as the main trio this season, since they fell kind of flat last season for the most part. Shirabe has a great gear though, between the buzzsaw rollerskates, buzzsaw helicopter and buzzsaw mech so I really want to see her get a bit more shine.

apparently they realized that there was no way to make buzzsaws on sticks not look dumb so she's using yo-yos in GX. Look forward to sweet yo-yo tricks as attacks.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

arisu posted:

You would think that. And then their commanding officer's presence makes you realize the standard this show has set for itself:

:kamina: :kamina:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I can't believe I'd forgotten, it's actually Genjurou who's the best

God how I wish he could be a Symphogearer or whatever too but iirc he actually already tried and it didn't work with him :sadfan: :sadfan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Let's be honest.

If Genjuro could use a relic he would probably shatter continents. Instead, let us remember that he is training Hibiki in the ways of being a complete badass and she is still learning.

• Locked thread