Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

Let's be honest.

If Genjuro could use a relic he would probably shatter continents. Instead, let us remember that he is training Hibiki in the ways of being a complete badass and she is still learning.

Genjurou with a Symphogear could shatter the Curse of Balal with a stern enough look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
On the subject of compatibility with relics... I'm starting to wonder if the use of Linker to boost affinity to a relic may be more of a crutch than an actual necessity (perhaps because they are in the wrong head space for using the relic). Or, in some cases, that they may be trying to force connection between a Scorer and a relic they aren't really aligned with.

I'm gonna be very interested to see where they go with the new girls (and Miku) in the new season, especially with Maria now using Argetlam.

There is a very silly part of me of that wants to see Miku back in action again.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 9, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I dunno man. I love and appreciate the style of this show, but any explication or consideration of the substance does not do much for me.

I hope poo poo continues to be dramatic and tense, Chris and Tsubasa continue to be tsundere and oblivious yet supremely capable, respectively, and the music continues to be techno jpop idol war songs, while keeping the tone of everything tongue-in-cheek throughout. I hope the OP is as good as Synchrogazer was too.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Honestly, I'm just waiting to hear what sort of outlandish thing they unleash next, I guess.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The dolls seem like they will be very goofy. I hope Miku becomes Ogawa's ninja apprentice, or, failing that, he just gets involved more. His ninja powers are cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hey is this show like Valvrave? The whole "dramatic yet dumb with a lot of techno jpop" sounds similar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, this is actually good.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ytlaya posted:

Hey is this show like Valvrave? The whole "dramatic yet dumb with a lot of techno jpop" sounds similar.

Valvrave tried to be Code Geass with vampires in space.

Symphogear essentially IS GaoGaiGar with magical girls.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gearhead posted:

Valvrave tried to be Code Geass with vampires in space.

Symphogear essentially IS GaoGaiGar with magical girls.

Apparently I need to watch Symphogear.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Super Dimension Magi Madoka 7

well for like the first few episodes when it was a bit on the grim side what with 'hey look at this sweet flashforward to the main character's gravestone' and redhaired girl blowing herself up with music

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Welp I have watched the first two episodes of this show and it is extremely stupid and extremely anime and I am glad that it exists. It's like primal, elemental anime. Vaguely fanservicey with mythological allusions for no real reason, at least one unsubtly gay girl, a plot that makes no goddamned sense, and pointlessly flashy. Keep on keeping on, Symphogear.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

chumbler posted:

Welp I have watched the first two episodes of this show and it is extremely stupid and extremely anime and I am glad that it exists. It's like primal, elemental anime. Vaguely fanservicey with mythological allusions for no real reason, at least one unsubtly gay girl, a plot that makes no goddamned sense, and pointlessly flashy. Keep on keeping on, Symphogear.

Oh, buddy, just you wait for that plot. :unsmigghh:

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Oh hey, the official site was updated with the new key visual (and Shirabe is indeed wielding a giant spiked yo-yo) and some new information (beware, there are some spoilers).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hibiki turned into a demon ripping her enemies in half because she didn't get to watch shooting stars with her friend and had to lie :ohdear:. And it's only episode 3.

Why have I only just started watching this stupid, awful, amazing show?

Edit:

This loving show. I don't think they have any idea what a consistent tone is.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 11, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For fun, here are a couple of charts made by folks which graph enjoyment level of Symphogear over time:

S1

S2

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

graybook posted:

For fun, here are a couple of charts made by folks which graph enjoyment level of Symphogear over time:

S1

S2

I can confirm these graphs are accurate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

This loving show. I don't think they have any idea what a consistent tone is.

Watching it myself and yeah this is about right. They'll change from people getting brutally murdered on screen to wacky school hijinx in the same episode.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Make sure you don't skip ep 4's credits

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Make sure you don't skip ep 4's credits

I will have to go back and watch them then.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I watched the first season when it aired and it was dumb as gently caress (in a good way). Watched the first episode of the second and then never got round to any more. Might have to remedy that soon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I marathoned the poo poo out of the remainder because I was sick as a dog and needed something to do. Season 1 was incredibly stupid but fun as gently caress. I felt like Season 2 was pretty lovely and bad in comparison, though. While S1 had tons of tonal whiplash it felt like they had some overarching idea of what they wanted to do, whereas S2 feels like they had no loving idea what they wanted to do so they just winged it. They frequently introduce a new plot point and then snap around and write that plot point out of existence as though it never happened or resolve it in really awkward ways.

S2 sort of feels like they had three or four different writers with different ideas all at war with each other writing over each other like vengeful comic book authors. "Let's introduce a plot point where <character> has <x> happen to them!" "No, that's stupid, we're not doing that. I'm writing that out in the next episode." "Yeah well fine then I'll get rid of that relationship that you made <character> and <character> develop." "When are we doing my side plot?" "Shut up, Jim."

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Season 1 > Season 2

I agree with this. There were some highlights, but there were deficiencies with the story that actually made it less enjoyable to watch, as opposed to season 1's problems which didn't detract from it in the same way. Make sure you watch the version they had on the blurays because they had an anti-seizure color filter placed over the broadcast version.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Having just got up to episode 10 I can definitely agree with this graph. This show owns.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
While I don't believe the writing room was that toxic to each other, interviews and other stuff mentioned on /m/ does indicate that the season had a much more chaotic production on the whole and that the staff didn't get to follow through on a lot of stuff they actually wanted to. Season 3 is apparently going to essentially be season 2.5 in that it acts more as the rest of season 2 rather than a stand alone season. One of the things they've stated is that while season 2 showcased the weaknesses of the FIS girls, season 3 will showcase their strengths for instance.

Still, I do love some of the more chaotic elements of season 2, in that you end up with the main trio being showcased as hilariously broken in terms of strength, because even in the first episodes the new main antagonists are acting poo poo scared of them and awed by the challenge they present. And then Hibiki no-sells their ultimate attacks like it's no thing. And then a few episodes later she beats the poo poo out of what is being built up as the season boss, until it bites off her arm.

I'm still bitter that the show immediately rectified that like it never existed. Sure, there was the discovery of relic cancer thanks to it, but I was hoping for a one-armed Hibiki, whose armed gear was literally an arm so she could hold hands. Or cyborg Hibiki.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Speaking of the staff, if you've finished s2 you might check this out.

graybook posted:

http://symphogear.blogspot.jp/2015/05/a-look-into-development-of-symphogear.html

A translated 4-page-manga giving a behind-the-scenes look at Satelight, in anticipation of S3!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

tsob posted:

I'm still bitter that the show immediately rectified that like it never existed. Sure, there was the discovery of relic cancer thanks to it, but I was hoping for a one-armed Hibiki, whose armed gear was literally an arm so she could hold hands. Or cyborg Hibiki.

Just go all Midori Days and have another Hibiki growing out of the stump of her arm so that she could hold hands with more people at once.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

AfroSquirrel posted:

Just go all Midori Days and have another Hibiki growing out of the stump of her arm so that she could hold hands with more people at once.

S3 ending: Hibiki uses the Frontier to reconjure the ghost hand and holds the hand of EVERYONE IN THE WORLD AT ONCE.

"Extermination" will be the final attack name following the pattern set forth. Extermination... of loneliness. :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Some good Engrish in this here show.

Edit: The show just acknowledged that battle heels are stupid and got rid of them. I would never have expected this from anime.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 12, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

chumbler posted:

Some good Engrish in this here show.

Edit: The show just acknowledged that battle heels are stupid and got rid of them. I would never have expected this from anime.

And more quality when you realize mystery lady somehow lost the one-piece or whatever she was wearing in that opening scene. Previous quality was indicated in episode... 3? when Tsubasa and Ogawa-san are walking along the hall and it looks like Tsubasa is just a lovely walk cycle gif on a lazily moving background.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, episode 2 of G reminded me entirely what I thought of this show. Stupid, flashy, and entertaining. Also Hibiki trying to make friends with the bad guys and then punching the bejesus out of a monster.

And lots of attack names.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Symphogear probably has the classiest way to "shout" attack names I've ever seen, having them appear as wallscrolls and other stylized pictures behind the attack as a cut-in. Anime shows in general should take note of it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
And Chris's are all named after heavy metal bands and it's the best.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Just rewatched S1. I cannot contain this much hype for S3 and have to post here to let some of it off.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm kinda curious how Maria is going to work, being the person with a Symphogear based off of a mystic, prosthetic arm.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Gearhead posted:

I'm kinda curious how Maria is going to work, being the person with a Symphogear based off of a mystic, prosthetic arm.

Hibiki is powered by friendship but Maria is powered by bad decisions, so I'm looking forward to whatever the answer is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So is this poo poo rad? I kinda want something to tide me over in the gap between JoJo ending and its next season starting.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Einander posted:

Hibiki is powered by friendship but Maria is powered by bad decisions, so I'm looking forward to whatever the answer is.

Einander posted:

She decided to browse 4chan instead of filing her taxes. Her power is now immeasurable.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So is this poo poo rad? I kinda want something to tide me over in the gap between JoJo ending and its next season starting.

There are very few magical girl series I can say are hard core.

Symphogear is one of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have decided that the most accurate way to describe this show is that it is enthusiastically bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's not bad. It's just like a cheesy action movie. With magical girls. That are actually wearing power armor instead of seifukus.

• Locked thread