Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

chumbler posted:

I have decided that the most accurate way to describe this show is that it is enthusiastically bad.

Kylra posted:

It's not bad. It's just like a cheesy action movie. With magical girls. That are actually wearing power armor instead of seifukus.

Can a show where everyone involved is completely aware they are making something horribly silly but generally fun to watch be classified as truly bad? So much EFFORT is being put into producing a product which is pretty Out There in terms of story telling, production, etc. It's not like some other shows where the animators forget to draw someone's pants for a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gearhead posted:

Can a show where everyone involved is completely aware they are making something horribly silly but generally fun to watch be classified as truly bad?

Yes.

Because some people would call Cross Ange "generally fun to watch".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Uh-oh Fine. Perhaps pissing off Hibiki was not the wisest move.

Oh god Funi isn't loading the last episode of season 1. Why are you doing this to me, god? I will blow up the moon. Ha "We're basically out of time/budget, so now they're telepaths this episode".

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 16, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
That's like my favorite scene in the show (at the end of the penultimate episode). If you have any doubt that Nana Mizuki is Tsubasa: http://www.pideo.net/video/youku/a8bdfaebae9e944d/ Sorry for the severely janky link

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

"We're basically out of time/budget, so now they're telepaths this episode".

I think that was actually purely a convenience to allow them to keep having dialogue without interrupting their singing, since the song in their super forms was from all three of them at the same time. It didn't actually save much if any budget since their lips are usually still moving due to the song anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a place to legally watch season 2? I don't see it on Funi or crunchyroll.

Edit: Wait nevermind. Says in the OP that there isn't. Well shucks.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 17, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really like the cd art style this time

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Really hope they brought back a little more of the touches of style the first season had over G. Like the transformation sequences, like yeah it was clearly sort of low-budget in the first season but it stuck out to me as being kind of cool and no bullshit, just, sing stuff, kind of cool equalizer armor equip, bang, we've got a Symphogear in about two seconds. As opposed to G where it's all, yup that sure is a magical girl sequence, sure it was obviously higher fidelity but...eh?

If they've got the somewhat more budget of G but with the clearly more solid production process and overall plan for the series of the first then we've got ourselves a winner, but hmm.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's like my favorite scene in the show (at the end of the penultimate episode). If you have any doubt that Nana Mizuki is Tsubasa:

The show's creator has said in interviews that one of his goals with Symphogear was to make it as close to replicating a Mizuki Nana concert as possible, and IIRC he came up with the idea while at one of said concerts.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Holy poo poo episode 6 of G. Berserk Hibiki owns. :black101:

Watched 7 as well, thank goodness the run of cliffhanger endings ended and I can take a break. I was only planning to watch episode 4 tonight. I mean, I guess it's still meant to be a cliffhanger, but it's not one I care too much about comparatively. Oh, the blonde one is Fine, I guess, wow. Maybe I'd care if she lost an arm. :v:

Really, my favourite bits of this show are "Hibiki batmans the bad guys". And "Hibiki is a goofball". Oh, and the silly plot. Some of the songs are pretty great too. But really, this show has always been Hibiki and Friends to me.

Also I hope they all get transforming motorbikes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This looks like it will be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcpO8S8tvY

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Addin' it to the OP, thanks mate

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
at no point did genjurou throw a car, worst show of the season 0/100

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Since the enemies aren't intangible Noise this time they're going to have to work overtime to explain why they don't send Genjurou and Ogawa out to clean house.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kanos posted:

Since the enemies aren't intangible Noise this time they're going to have to work overtime to explain why they don't send Genjurou and Ogawa out to clean house.

1) They go ahead and let the two of them kick butt, or

2) it would interfere too much with a true man's schedule of eating, watching movies, and sleeping.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm glad they're still doing the shaky pictures thing in the preview for the next episode on the website

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

lets hang out posted:

I'm glad they're still doing the shaky pictures thing in the preview for the next episode on the website

Hm?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://symphogear-gx.com/next/

Some of the thumbnails shake when you mouse over them. They did it last season too. It's important to me

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
It is just the one with Tsubasa in it for me. Odd.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm way behind, (still in the first season) but I gotta know, do they ever fix Chris' hair? cause right now, it's the worst thing ever. Like, a bob and six rat tails. I've never seen a worse ficitonal hair cut.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

I'm way behind, (still in the first season) but I gotta know, do they ever fix Chris' hair? cause right now, it's the worst thing ever. Like, a bob and six rat tails. I've never seen a worse ficitonal hair cut.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Those all own though?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Nope, it's hair tentacles all the way down.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I mean, it's not so bad when you look at it a certain way.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Nothin bad about that at all

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 28, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
OP released!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659x2xV0RBY

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's sure a Symphogear OP.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Wheeeeeeeen

Also there's nothing wrong with Chris's hair.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That's sure a Symphogear OP.
And the best one out of the three imo.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

poo poo yeah buddy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
lol bulletproof underboob

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I hope Chris still does heartshots in her henshin sequence.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RangerKarl posted:

I hope Chris still does heartshots in her henshin sequence.

(spoilered for consideration: S2)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Hmm, I still think I like Synchrogazer more, but Exterminate is pretty good still.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just finished season 1 of Symphogear. I wasn't quite sure what you guys were talking about when you said the show was stupid crazy. Until the last three episodes.

It also used a euphemism in a place I had never seen. The "Scarlet Woman" of Babylon.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Someone posted the translated lyrics to Exterminate over on /m/.

/m/ posted:

Shout up into the heavens
Unify your wavering emotions
The sound of truth is right here

This trembling in my chest is a signal
I’ve run throughout countless nights
Searching for you to the point of madness
This dominating tune made me realize
Warmth can be double-edged
The tears that were left behind, drift into the sky
When the radiant melody is born, it will produce an illusion
However, in this time called the present
Tomorrow can always be created
So I want to sing for you

If there’s a dream you believe in
Then unleash everything
This resounding beat cannot be stopped
Let’s go together hand-in-hand, to anywhere
I won’t be separated from that smiling face

Hope and memories blend together
A love imprisoned, goes unnoticed
I was grieving on the threshold of kindness and weakness
The past fades quickly, but instead of chasing it
I strain my ears, listening for my own voice
True happiness is always close nearby
So I want this to reach only you

If there’s something you want to protect
Then push beyond your limits
The oath engraved in my heart
Can never be destroyed by anyone

Love is not over
Exterminate

I was so terrified by what I may lose
I let myself remain ignorant, kept it far away
You were the first one to give me joy
Now that will transform into my resolve

I impart you with this song of life

If there’s a dream you believe in
Then unleash everything
This resounding beat cannot be stopped
Let’s go together hand-in-hand, to anywhere
I won’t be separated from that smiling face

Exterminate

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Sounds like something sung from the viewpoint of Finé. Too downbeat to be Hibiki. Doesn't fit Chris or Tsubasa. Could be Miku I suppose, which would make things very interesting.

Episode 1 in ~15 hours hype.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is there any place where the episodes can be streamed?

I'm finishing the second season right now and I think the strangest thing about the show (that can't be explained with "anime") is the hilarious hateboner against anything remotely Western. I think this is the first time I've seen NASA as a villain.

tsob posted:

I'm still bitter that the show immediately rectified that like it never existed. Sure, there was the discovery of relic cancer thanks to it, but I was hoping for a one-armed Hibiki, whose armed gear was literally an arm so she could hold hands. Or cyborg Hibiki.

Berserk Hibiki showing up redeemed the moment, but agreed.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 3, 2015

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

mycot posted:

Is there any place where the episodes can be streamed?

None at the moment. It might be another fansub situation like the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

mycot posted:

I'm finishing the second season right now and I think the strangest thing about the show (that can't be explained with "anime") is the hilarious hateboner against anything remotely Western. I think this is the first time I've seen NASA as a villain.

Eyeshield 21 had NASA High School as a rival team with a villainous racist coach, does that count?

• Locked thread