Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

UP AND ADAM posted:

This anime has some great scenes: http://a.pomf.se/zuflag.webm

Platinum needs to make a Symphogear game where you're Tsubasa

Oh please, they should obviously make one with all 3 main girls, since they already have gun, punch and slice games in their backlog and even games like Devil May Cry that allow you to mix it up, albeit with one character. Having a game where you could swap them out on the fly would be fantastic. I also cannot wait for the new seasons of this, and hope they can manage to make Shirabe, Kirika and Maria even half as fun as the main trio this season, since they fell kind of flat last season for the most part. Shirabe has a great gear though, between the buzzsaw rollerskates, buzzsaw helicopter and buzzsaw mech so I really want to see her get a bit more shine.

Edit: I hope Chris gets to use that sniper rifle attack they teased last season but never followed though on for reasons.

arisu posted:

Wait this show is actually good enough to get a third season? I never watched it but it looked like more magical girl anime hypetrain when it first aired.

It's dumb as gently caress, but it's fully aware of how silly it is and just has fun with it. It's a show about magical girls who sing during combat to power their weapons and armor and the main character's weapon is holding hands. Watch some of the gifs or look up some videos on Youtube if you want a taste of the show's brand of crazy, because it's basically all those fight scenes and comedy intermixed for 12 episodes of stupid crazy fun and it's great for it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Post your reactions in here as you watch. I doubt anyone will mind, those kind of things are usually fun when dealing with silly shows and it'll keep the thread active for a while as we wait for the new season. I must re-watch the show again before the new season airs myself actually, and grab the comedy OVAs since I still haven't seen those.

Edit: Actually, given that there's only what...24 episodes and some comedy shorts, and we have roughly a month to the new season, I wonder if the thread is up for an impromptu simulwatch of the first two seasons in anticipation of the new one, at a rate of one episode a day?

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
While I don't believe the writing room was that toxic to each other, interviews and other stuff mentioned on /m/ does indicate that the season had a much more chaotic production on the whole and that the staff didn't get to follow through on a lot of stuff they actually wanted to. Season 3 is apparently going to essentially be season 2.5 in that it acts more as the rest of season 2 rather than a stand alone season. One of the things they've stated is that while season 2 showcased the weaknesses of the FIS girls, season 3 will showcase their strengths for instance.

Still, I do love some of the more chaotic elements of season 2, in that you end up with the main trio being showcased as hilariously broken in terms of strength, because even in the first episodes the new main antagonists are acting poo poo scared of them and awed by the challenge they present. And then Hibiki no-sells their ultimate attacks like it's no thing. And then a few episodes later she beats the poo poo out of what is being built up as the season boss, until it bites off her arm.

I'm still bitter that the show immediately rectified that like it never existed. Sure, there was the discovery of relic cancer thanks to it, but I was hoping for a one-armed Hibiki, whose armed gear was literally an arm so she could hold hands. Or cyborg Hibiki.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Symphogear probably has the classiest way to "shout" attack names I've ever seen, having them appear as wallscrolls and other stylized pictures behind the attack as a cut-in. Anime shows in general should take note of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AfroSquirrel posted:

If he can't leave the bridge to do kung fu, there's only one solution: Bring the bridge with him when he does kung fu!

I'm totally down for him jumping in to save the day, the entire ship held in one aloft in one hand and only using one hand and his feet to fight, while balancing the ship in the other, all while shouting orders so loud they can hear them inside the ship. I am disappointed that "the noise are done", what, these noise? No, totally different thing - they just look and act almost totally identical.". gently caress you Satelight, that's a cheap poo poo move and you know it. If they wanted to disable Chris and Tsubasa's gears to take them out of action for a few episodes so the FIS girls would get a chance to shine, there's plenty of ways they could have come up with to do it using magic/alchemy without reusing the Noise to do so.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would they need to? The pendants that the girls use are, as far as I know, only parts of the overall structure of the relics that they found. Division 2 will just make some new pendants for them using the relics, combine them with whatever's in the box Elfnein is holding to make them immune to the same tactic in future and let them loose. It'll just take a few episodes to happen, given that at least one more episode will take place as Shirabe, Kirika and Maria protect Chris and Tsubasa while Hibiki battles to prevent loss of her own Symphogear against Carol or something and a few more to refine those new pendants during which the FIS girls will finally get the chance to shine since they'll have to act in place of the missing gears.

That's my assumption at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

UP AND ADAM posted:

This is already way better than any part of last season, imo. It feels like they're entirely embracing their toku show roots instead of having conflicted, tragic villains that were never really a threat. The new enemy grunts being Noise again is genius.

One thing that did annoy me in the episode was how screechy Hibiki continues to get when trying to get villains to listen to her. I wish she'd just realize that sometimes people don't want to listen or talk immediately and that it's probably easier to just beat them and then try talking to them. Or even just talk during battle. We've had the same thing three times now with Chris, Shirabe and now Carol and it's wearing a little thin that she gets so distressed about it each time.

Kylra posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just the only remaining parts of the relics they have. Like they didn't whip out another Gungnir fragment to give to someone else, or have 5 Ichivals running around.

More likely we'd see a songs are magic and the artifacts were really in their hearts all long.

Well for one thing finding compatible users is kind of hard. Even the FIS girls are only really properly compatible while hopped up on the Linker drug. If it was just a case of them being in their hearts all along I'd be pretty disappointed I imagine, since it's a pretty cheap cop out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not concerned with it being high art, but stuff like that simply stops it being fun. It'd have been more enjoyable if Hibiki declared she'd beat Carol and make her her friend once she'd done so or something, rather than having the same attack of personality she had with Shirabe for instance. Likewise, them finding out that the song was in their heart all along is just incredibly cheesy in the very worst way, while also kind of loving with internal consistency of the setting and while it's possible the show could make it work since it operates on pure cheese (hence why I said I'd probably hate it, not definitely), almost anything else seems like it'd be more enjoyable.

Regardless, we already know there are multiple instances of some gears thanks to the Black Gungnir anyways. The pendants might just be repairable or something too. They only got cracked, not destroyed I think. Also, the reason they didn't give Hibiki a relic in season one or two is probably because she uh...didn't need a relic. She already had one. She did need one once they'd removed the relic, which proves they don't have more of Gungnir, but they may have more of Iichival or Ama no Habikiri.

That said, the mountain rescue in episode one is cheesy as gently caress in all the best ways, and I've rewatched it several times because it's just so god damned fun. That's what I want out of this show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What about the big huge one who dropped some boats on...was it Chris, in episode 2 and was mentioned in passing this last episode? I'm pretty sure there's even 5 elemental symbols in the first segment of the opening too, with one presumably being wood or steel from the Asian set of original elements.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 21, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Evev Micha hasn't gotten that much screen time really. Garie was a complete screen hog. She probably had more than Carol, and Carol's supposed to be the main villain of the season.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I feel like there'd be a lot more dramatic tension and irony if we actually knew the specifics of what Carol's plan was as we watched the heroes dutifully goose-step along to it, unaware they're being manipulated. That sense of mystery only really works to make things more dramatic if you buy in to the mystery and can't pretty much guess the end-game, and I suppose I just don't care about the mystery.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm surprised to see GX so well received here because I thought the majority of it was boring, but that there were some parts that were flat out insulting. The resolution of almost all the character arcs felt rushed and rather cheap, with Hibiki's father being particularly egregious being as how once he sees his daughter is a hero he essentially becomes a different character and all the faults that the show had built up just get forgotten, with Hibiki forgiving him like he'd never done anything wrong and then pushing her view on her family in a rather awful scene.

I hated everything about Carol too, but especially her ending. Not only does she never realize that anything she did is wrong, but the Gears seem more concerned with saving her than with the imminent explosion that took out a huge chunk of the city and probably killed thousands. The show might not have pulled any punches on that, but it also roundly ignored it and all the implications of it. After it's happened the only concern any of them have are whether Carol survived, not whether anyone was hurt, trying to help survivors or accepting guilt in such a tragic act. Nope, just crying because thank god the villain who blew it all up managed to survive.

Even the action was kind of tame, including in the finale. I can't help comparing it the finale of G, and it inevitably comes up short, because while G had the girls all teaming up to form a pair of fists to break through a huge monster and out of a collapsing dimensional gate, GX had Hibiki form a solo fist and everyone else stand around and passively give her a boost to finish the enemy on her own. Which just isn't nearly as good on any level.

And this is what Kaneko, the main guy behind it all wanted according to interviews. The director gave him a free hand according to the interviews and then when said director commented that this is what he wanted after seeing it all, he did so with a bitter smile that he still doesn't understand according to Kaneko. I really hope that next season the director takes a more active hand, because if there's more Hibiki melodrama about how she can't cause anything but violence using her fist (ignoring the fact she's made some of her best friends and saved the world three times using it) then I'm going to have to let it go, since I don't think Symphogear will be for me anymore at that point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shirabe putting on her glasses to sneak through the base was one of the good points of GX. All the melodrama and straight faced seriousness just dragged it down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think the autoscorers are crap, Carol is boring, Topdad is a tosser, Hibiki is overly whiny for the majority of the season, the fun cast like Genjuruoo don't do anything and outside of one scene right at the start the action is boring. So no, I don't like season 3. Even 2 is kind of meh, though GX did make the FIS girls better along with the Zesshoushinai OVAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, by having my own opinion I guess. I just didn't care about any of the action in GX. Perhaps it's that the Auto-scorers clown the girls so easily and then gleefully leap to their death suggesting that none of the cast are actually winning or doing anything worthwhile and that the Auto-scorers were the real winners in it all despite being painfully dull? I did like that that one giant sister of one of the Auto-scorers didn't even appear when she attacked the sub, it just shook a bit as Genjuruoo shouted and then she was gone. That was loving hilarious as low points go.

• Locked thread