Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

fiery_valkyrie posted:

All of the votes on you are bad.

I don't understand BK's thought process and why he is calling you scummy.

Exakt is doing his typical thing where he makes a decision about someone and then reads into every post something to back up his theory. I've seen him do it before but I'm not sure if it's scummy behaviour or not from him (because he hasn't flipped in the other game where he is doing it)

GG looks like he put a joke vote down on you and then decided to double down and make it a serious vote. Seems the scummier of the 3 to me.

the thing i was doing was reading into was just that it felt like he was building up a narrative, but that makes sense because of his claim. the way he was building the narrative, though, gave me feelings and i shared them and voted based on them. however, the way other people reacted made me uncomfortable with the case and i looked elsewhere. i feel that i've made my thought process clear throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
f_v what do you think of LUTR's dropping in while i was talking to MCED?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EXAKT Science posted:

f_v what do you think of LUTR's dropping in while i was talking to MCED?

That I don't even think that's something to think about? People drop in and out of the thread all the time. It doesn't mean anything.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to come back and make some more cases tomorrow but for now ##vote GG. Out of all the reactions to me I think its the worst, but then again I think its possible scum might not even have been around for it so I'd really like some more people to give their opinions on me, on GG, on Exakt, on FV, on whatever really!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EXAKT Science posted:

honestly, BK also looked weird to me as far as jumping on, because his vote took you to -2 and his posts didn't make a ton of sense. i can't tell whether he's scum or just an excited newbie, but regardless i don't want to vote him day 1. he's definitely on my radar though.

Are those the only two options for why Bottle reacted the way he did? He's not that new.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Actually. ##vote exakt

You're setting up a scummy history for Bottle that isn't there. "His posts didn't make sense" is bullshit, he was totally clear in his intent and that intent was agreeing with your initial case.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Good morning thread!

DBD, Grandicap, Sam, please report to the game-- otherwise I will consider you a decent lurker lynch.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Exakt is doing his typical thing where he makes a decision about someone and then reads into every post something to back up his theory. I've seen him do it before but I'm not sure if it's scummy behaviour or not from him (because he hasn't flipped in the other game where he is doing it)

GG looks like he put a joke vote down on you and then decided to double down and make it a serious vote. Seems the scummier of the 3 to me.
##unvote

This is more effort than the mean player's, plus it doesn't read scummy to me.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

MC Eating Disorder (3): HiipFire, Ghastly Gangsta, MC Eating Disorder, EXAKT Science, BottleKnight, -EXAKT Science, -MC Eating Disorder
Ghastly Gangsta (2): EXAKT Science, MC Eating Disorder
EXAKT Science (1): Look Under The Rock
HiipFire (1): Samfucius
yuming (1): EXAKT Science, Deadbeat Dad, -EXAKT Science
merk (0): EXAKT Science, -EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science, -EXAKT Science
fiery_valkyrie (0): yuming, -yuming

Not Voting (4): fiery_valkyrie, Grandicap, merk, yuming

:h: With 12 players alive, it takes 7 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is June 15th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 13 hours, 35 minutes.

~a moment in time~

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Busy weekend, actually around now.

MCED, how many games on SA have you played? You are pushing pretty hard against "SA Mafia Conventional Wisdom", if you have played some games here that will make it seem scummy to me, if you are relatively new, that makes it seem not scummy, especially if you have played in other settings.

EXACT is my number 1 scum read at the moment, popping suspicion on LUTR for "dropping in" in the middle of a conversation seems odd especially in a play by post thing. You post when you are around. If it happens in the middle of a "conversation" who cares?

Yuming, I am not happy that you are calling out lurkers when the entirety of the game day has been a weekend. :mad:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

MC Eating Disorder posted:

anything you want to back that up with now we're actually playing mafia or are you just going to vote for me for no reason?
My general impression of MCED is that he sounds sincere.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Grandicap posted:

Yuming, I am not happy that you are calling out lurkers when the entirety of the game day has been a weekend. :mad:
It's pragmatic. The deadline is tonight and nothing is standing out, I will call out lurkers with reckless abandon and argue to lynch them over players like MCED if need be.

We'll see what the next ~12 hours bring.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

EXAKT Science posted:

yeah you still haven't made any effort to find a scum. you're just being melodramatic and constructing a narrative. you said you wanted to play seriously, and i am. just because you're the commander doesn't mean you're free from suspicion.
The underlined is a bit hyperbolic, but EXAKT has since backed off. I'm in the process of evaluating if I think it is a sincere switch or not.

Point of this post: I feel a mild suspicion against EXAKT based on ^^above.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

yuming posted:

My general impression of MCED is that he sounds sincere.

What I'm getting is a flaily don't lynch me feeling. He is claiming flavor to save himself, refusing to give reasoning for thing, tossing suspicion around if people are voting him without casing others. Very much calculated to save himself rather than get information. He even dropped the statement that he is ok with no lynches unlike the rest of the community, maybe subtly setting himself up for a no lynch vs a himlynch if he can help it, planting the seed in people's minds so to speak.

Self preservation is not exclusively a scum thing, it is also very much a new player thing too, but sincere is not what I am feeling from MC at all.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

yuming posted:

The underlined is a bit hyperbolic, but EXAKT has since backed off. I'm in the process of evaluating if I think it is a sincere switch or not.

Point of this post: I feel a mild suspicion against EXAKT based on ^^above.

At the time MCED was saying that he was a commander and people should be following his orders and fake dressing down his troops. At the time EXACT's statement made a bunch of sense. If it was hyperbolic it was only slightly so.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

my role in this game is "curmudgeon"

I have a day action where I hate joke phase and I get grumpy at you all for engaging in it instead of immediately jumping at each others throats and ripping each other to shreds

no joke my role PM actually says I am the leader of the camp so yes, I am in charge of declaring joke phase over
MCED is being cheeky. The second is true I think, but still.

I could imagine myself posting something similar. It's not an order to STAND IN LINE! just an attempt to start the game.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

fiery_valkyrie posted:

That I don't even think that's something to think about? People drop in and out of the thread all the time. It doesn't mean anything.

i guess it just came off in a snipey way to me due to the way they dropped a couple of posts and then promised more content today.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Actually. ##vote exakt

You're setting up a scummy history for Bottle that isn't there. "His posts didn't make sense" is bullshit, he was totally clear in his intent and that intent was agreeing with your initial case.

i meant that i had a hard time parsing bottle's posts. upon a reread, he feels like an earnestly excited townie, at least enough for me not to want to vote him day 1. also apparently he's been in way more games than i hought, my bad.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grandicap posted:

MCED, how many games on SA have you played? You are pushing pretty hard against "SA Mafia Conventional Wisdom", if you have played some games here that will make it seem scummy to me, if you are relatively new, that makes it seem not scummy, especially if you have played in other settings.

About 7-8 I think? I've played a few in other places but less than 15 games overall as well as the simplified version I played as a kid that we called 'murder in the dark' I don't want to really start a derail about it at this point in the game and I think there are certainly extenuating circumstances but on SA in particular where there are a lot of role heavy setups I find the idea that a no lynch is 100% bad for town to be a weirdly stubborn piece of mafia wisdom despite the fact that I keep seeing cops and trackers and other important roles get ganked in idiotic arbitrary lunches with no purpose because everyone is cagey as gently caress d1.

I hope this answers your question :)

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I suppose I could organize this all into one post. But this is easier. :sun:

Next,

EXAKT Science posted:

you're positioning yourself as the leader of the town. you want us to feel like you're invincible. you show us again here

[... MC asking who people would lynch besides him ...]

it reads like you want us to think of you as untouchable, and that gives me ~feelings~
I disagree with this representation. I think MC sounded more like he was trying to get people to post something and the was annoyed when he became the focus.

From MC's perspective, it is natural, and EXAKT's characterization of "untouchable leader" is again too much.

Hypothesis: EXAKT as scum, making up content, going too far in the sales pitch. I'm yet undecided.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

I don't think MCED's reaction to the votes placed on him looks good, and his actual posts just seem strange.

His anti-jokephase joke posts just rub me the wrong way. Although he shifts his tone in the subsequent posts, it reads to me as a swift backtrack to mitigate his previous scummy behavior.
Actually this is worse than either EXAKT or MCED.

Thoughts from others? (While I gather my own, obv.)

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also grandicap, am I correct in inferring that I am your number 2 scum pick? If not who is and why? If so, who's number 3?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

I honestly don't understand why a townie would even bother to ask me what my motivations are tbh, I think that is probably the actual first scum tell of the game.
This is kinda silly mr. I can be petulant about explaining too, but I can't say it's ever gotten me anywhere.

Better to explain twice than to leave the thread with people misunderstanding your intentions!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Prediction/Conclusion: CMED vs. EXAKT is town vs. town.

I will now use this as a tentative fact on which I will base my follow up read~vote I am about to make.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

fiery_valkyrie posted:

EXAKT Science posted:

GG doesn't sit well with me here. initially, he voted for MCED oduring jokephase:

then once a third vote (mine) hops on, he immediately goes on the attack. he doesn't have any scumreads aside from MCED, and his tone feels off to me.

##vote GG
There is intuition that GG's vote is bad. I agree.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

yuming posted:

This is kinda silly mr. I can be petulant about explaining too, but I can't say it's ever gotten me anywhere.

Better to explain twice than to leave the thread with people misunderstanding your intentions!

I will absolutely admit to being maybe a little unnecessarily petulant today but i'm still not going to spell out the rationale for why I'm posting how I'm posting on d1. If I live to d2 I promise this is not just how I play entire games of mafia but if I'm going to just come out and explain why I'm acting weird or irrational, I might as well not bother trying anything different at all and just stick to playing a fairly safe cagey d1.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also grandicap, am I correct in inferring that I am your number 2 scum pick? If not who is and why? If so, who's number 3?

I have feelings about you, but I am not sure if I place them as scum feelings now. I'm leaning towards your fight for survival to be a null tell rather than a scum tell at the moment.
2nd would be either f_v or LUTR.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fiery_valkyrie posted:

##vote fv

"All of the votes on you are bad."
"[GG] seems the scummier of the 3 to me."

No vote.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grandicap posted:

I have feelings about you, but I am not sure if I place them as scum feelings now. I'm leaning towards your fight for survival to be a null tell rather than a scum tell at the moment.
2nd would be either f_v or LUTR.

I know it's hard to qualify reads precisely on d1 but I'm interested to know where these two reads are coming from, especially LUTR

I kind of like fv just because I don't think anyone should feel comfortable enough assuming I'm town right now as she has been but LUTR is still a massive null tell for me and I'd like to hear more

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
HEY READ THIS POST

This is my conclusion post for the current state of the thread and my strongest opinion at the moment.

GG's jokevote becomes real:

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

I don't think MCED's reaction to the votes placed on him looks good, and his actual posts just seem strange.

His anti-jokephase joke posts just rub me the wrong way. Although he shifts his tone in the subsequent posts, it reads to me as a swift backtrack to mitigate his previous scummy behavior.
Thesis: this is an empty vote. It is scummy.

Support
1. The wording choices: "don't [...] look good" and "just seem strange" come across as too nondescript for me. It reads like GG doesn't have a solid reason behind his case.
2. Why would trying to stop jokephase "rub [you] the wrong way?" Trying to make content is not scummy, to try and characterize it as such so flippantly is nonsense-- and scummy.
3. Ample usage of buzzwords, for example "backtrack." Scummy because, like the rest of the post, it's an attempt to inflate an easy vote of little resistance into a vote of substance.

Again: GG's post is an attempt to inflate an easy vote of little resistance into a vote of substance. That is scummy.

##vote Ghastly Gangsta

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm incorrect about fv assuming I'm town though, but their read on the votes on me felt unnecessarily confident about my alignment

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

yuming posted:

HEY READ THIS POST

This is my conclusion post for the current state of the thread and my strongest opinion at the moment.

Support
1. The wording choices: "don't [...] look good" and "just seem strange" come across as too nondescript for me. It reads like GG doesn't have a solid reason behind his case.
2. Why would trying to stop jokephase "rub [you] the wrong way?" Trying to make content is not scummy, to try and characterize it as such so flippantly is nonsense-- and scummy.
3. Ample usage of buzzwords, for example "backtrack." Scummy because, like the rest of the post, it's an attempt to inflate an easy vote of little resistance into a vote of substance.

Again: GG's post is an attempt to inflate an easy vote of little resistance into a vote of substance. That is scummy.

##vote Ghastly Gangsta

I would definitely vote GG over MC Eat if it came to that.

What do you think of fv?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

merk posted:

I would definitely vote GG over MC Eat if it came to that.

What do you think of fv?
I unvoted her after my initial idea of "lack of interest in f_v = scummy." I unvoted her for the same post you voted her for, even.

My read of her is that she is low effort but town.

My reasoning:
1. Her excuse of being busy/hungover on the weekend sounded sincere.
2. She posted her opinions and at heart I agree with what she posted. The post we both referenced agrees with my read of GG and MCED, it just doesn't explain in the same amount of detail I have.

We've taken opposite actions but I agree she needs to continue to participate. I unvoted because that's what would help me participate. I support your vote in that if she reacts poorly I would again vote her.

I like GG best.

I don't know if I'm being clear. I see both possibilities but am assuming my hypothesis of town for now. :sparkles:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

yuming posted:

My read of her is that she is low effort but town.
"Low effort" isn't the best term here.

f_v has reads but she has not fully explained or acted on them. At their heart I see reads that agree with my own.

I would like to see her elaborate on them. Until she does I am assuming she is town, because it supports my case on GG.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I am busy for much of the day, and have yet to decide if I will be cooking dinner.

If I do, I will be scarce tonight but should be around for the deadline. bbl thread.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

i meant that i had a hard time parsing bottle's posts. upon a reread, he feels like an earnestly excited townie, at least enough for me not to want to vote him day 1. also apparently he's been in way more games than i hought, my bad.

You already said you don't want to vote him day one.

I feel that your characterizing bottle's posts as hard to parse is insincere. The stuff he posted around MCED thing was very clearly stating that he felt the same way you did. The way you've posted about him is wishy washy -- every time you've said you don't want to vote him you've qualified it by saying day one.

It reads to me like you're trying to set up a history of weak suspicion for later use. You're writing yourself a check to vote him later and there's no reason to do that as town.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Look Under The Rock posted:

You already said you don't want to vote him day one.

I feel that your characterizing bottle's posts as hard to parse is insincere. The stuff he posted around MCED thing was very clearly stating that he felt the same way you did. The way you've posted about him is wishy washy -- every time you've said you don't want to vote him you've qualified it by saying day one.

It reads to me like you're trying to set up a history of weak suspicion for later use. You're writing yourself a check to vote him later and there's no reason to do that as town.

or I was super tired when i read his posts and didn't understand them clearly because i am an idiot. do you have any other scumreads or are you going to keep coming after me?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

BottleKnight posted:

Because claiming really early when not much heat on you is a scumtell?

it's really this post that i had trouble with.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

EXAKT Science posted:

GG doesn't sit well with me here. initially, he voted for MCED oduring jokephase:

then once a third vote (mine) hops on, he immediately goes on the attack. he doesn't have any scumreads aside from MCED, and his tone feels off to me.

##vote GG

How does my tone feel off to you and I didn't declare my vote a joke vote. If it was I wouldn't have kept it there, but he literally makes a comment about us tearing each other to shreds and the Night 0 kill was eviscerated.

Then his behavior just doesn't make sense at all. Believe me when I say I could not care less about your vote, in fact it didn't even process that you had voted him because I was more concerned with his continued behavior in this thread.

If I ping you over his panicky behavior and that self-vote early D1, then something is wrong here. I feel like I'm getting set up.

I don't at all feel like I've been scummy and find the whole notion ridiculous.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

yuming posted:

HEY READ THIS POST

Support

##vote Ghastly Gangsta

Are you scum yuming, you usually lurk more don't you?

Anyhow...

1. My wording is my wording, and I don't find it flippant. Arguing the semantics of how I speak seems a bit unfair to me.
2. Stopping jokephase isn't a bad thing, but it was his joke approach to it that pinged me as scummy. His bit about the no lynch, his curmudgeon posts. He was still joking while advocating that we didn't and that seems strange to me.
3. Buzzwords? Seriously? If you could please let me know what other words I should avoid using? He does backtrack, he goes from this panicked irrational self-vote and flailing to more jokes based off of his flavor which BK accepted as flavor/role crumbing. I think that's not at all part of his role and he didn't answer my question about it. I think MC ED is scum and although I didn't have reads, your quit commitment to me alongside EXAKT makes me feel like you also might have scummy motivations.

My brief read of EXAKT is: We've argued like this in every game we've played together I think. Maybe not scum, I can see her side, but it's incorrect.
My brief read of yuming is more based on an ominous gut feeling.
My read of MCED is in his scummy posts and behavior in this thead, someone else please try and read his posts objectively and see if they make sense from a town perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

edit:
...your quick commitment to me ...

• Locked thread