Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Co-host - ShinerCCC

Gradius MSX is an MSX port of the 1985 arcade game Gradius. The port would usher in a new side series of console games in the Gradius series with their own unique features, characters, and plot. This port bears many similarities with the Famicom/NES port of Gradius, but adds new features that would appear in later console Gradius games. In addition to some new features, Gradius MSX also contains a unique new stage that is inserted in-between stages four and five from the arcade version and four hidden bonus stages.

Gradius MSX was released in Europe under the same name as its international release: Nemesis. The title you see in the title screen of this video is Nemesis instead of Gradius. Gradius MSX was re-released on the MSX with other Konami MSX games on floppy disk. When paired with a cart of Snatcher or Snatcher SD in one of the console's cartridge ports, the game is played with enhanced sound features.

For those unfamiliar, the MSX was a home computer console developed by Microsoft of Japan in 1983. The MSX bears similarities in the function of the Commodore 64. It was released in Japan and gained a following in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, South Korea, the Soviet Union, and Cuba. It never took off in the UK or the US. The operating system is called MSX-DOS and was the backbone of the system. Several different manufacturers produced MSX consoles with different specifications like Sony, Panasonic, and Philips. The most common features of the MSX were two cartridge ports and a galaxy of accessories and peripherals like gamepads, joysticks and floppy disk drives were made. Some MSX consoles only had a single cartridge slot or had floppy disk drives built into them. The MSX name may or may not be an acronym standing for "MicroSoft eXtended". The vice president at Microsoft Japan and director of ASCII Corporation, Kazuhiko Nishi, has stated that the acronym means "Machines with Software eXchangeability", hinting at the MSX being a standard.

Today, the MSX is a rather obscure console with a cult following that persists. Despite its obscurity, it is a platform that birthed many video game franchises and served as a launching point for many game developers in the console market. Konami's Metal Gear series appeared on the MSX2 with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The first Parodius game was on the MSX (making the arcade game Parodius da! a sequel). HudsonSoft's Bomberman first appeared on the MSX before being ported to the Famicom/NES.

Power-ups

Speed-up boosts the speed the Vic Viper can move around the screen. Additional uses of speed-up increase the Vic Viper's movement even more. A player can have a maximum of eight speed-ups.

Missile

A missile will be launched from the bottom of the Vic Viper. The missile travels along the ground until it collides with an enemy or vertical terrain. Selecting missile a second time will fire a faster missile.

The double shot fires a second bullet at a 45-degree angle. Double reduces your rate of fire by half and is difficult to use against the Big Core. Double is necessary for beating bonus stages.

The Vic Viper will fire a long, blue beam across the screen. The beam will erase most enemies caught in the beam and continue moving forward. Selecting laser a second time will produce a longer beam.

An option will mimic the movements of the Vic Viper and all of its weapons. The Vic Viper can have two options.

The Vic Viper produces a shield in front of its nose to absorb enemy fire or damage from collisions with weak enemies. The shield can also absorb the damage from stronger attacks like the Big Core's shots but it will deplete the entire shield. The shield can absorb about ten hits before dissipating.

Bosses

Big Core - Big Core will rise from the bottom of the screen after beating the stage's sub-boss. Destroy the core by breaching the barriers that protect the core after it has turned red.

Nucleus - the boss of stage six is a gigantic life form that unleashes a torrent of projectiles at the Vic Viper. Position the Vic Viper at the very far left of the screen and spam as much firepower as you can to destroy the projectiles and rack up your score. If you're brave, try flying into the space between the first shooter and the Nucleus's center for a surprise.

Bacterian - the final boss of the game is unchanged from other versions of Gradius. Shoot the supports for a few extra points or wait for the boss to time out to beat the game.

Cheat Codes

All of these cheat codes require you to pause the game by pressing the F1 key on the MSX keyboard. Type the following passwords and press the Return/Enter key to enable them. These cheat codes only work once per game.

HYPER - full power up
DOUBLE - get double
SHIELD - get shield
LASER - get second laser power-up
MISSILE - get second missile power-up
OPTION - get two options

DOWN - slow down the Vic Viper after using any number of speed-ups
AHO - suicide
BAKA - another suicide cheat

KINYO - full power up in extra stage 1
HISAE - full power up in extra stage 2
MIYUKI - full power up in extra stage 3
YOHKO - full power up in extra stage 4
MOMOKO - full power up in stage 1
CHIE - full power up in stage 2
AKEMI - full power up in stage 3
SYUKO - full power up in stage 4
CHIAKI - full power up in stage 5
NORIKO - full power up in stage 6
SATOE - full power up in stage 7
YASUKO - full power up in stage 8

Play as TwinBee - while Gradius is in cartridge port one, insert TwinBee in cartridge port two. The Vic Viper will be replaced with TwinBee, the options will become outlines of TwinBee, and the power-ups will change to bells.

Extra Stages

There are four hidden extra stages in Gradius MSX. To reach them, simply fly into the correct location. Entering a bonus stage will give you a huge boost in points and extra lives. These bonus stages can be tricky to get through and having double seems to be required to even beat them. If you die in a bonus stage, you will be sent back to the beginning of the stage that you came from.

Yellow power-up capsules will give you a bonus of 100 points. Picking up more of them will increase that bonus up to 10,000 points. If any yellow capsules are missed, your bonus will reset to 100 points. Green power-up capsules give you an extra life.

Extra Stage 1 - found in stage two. This one is fairly obvious. Using double will make reaching the secret location easier.

Extra Stage 2 - found in stage three. The second platform of Moai heads that face away from each other is where this secret location is. Fly in-between the heads or destroy the left-facing head to reach this spot.

Extra Stage 3 - this one is tricky. You must fly through the mountain in stage one that has a gap in it. Then, you must do the same with both mountains in stage four.

Extra Stage 4 - found in stage seven. Fly right into the space between the Nucleus's center and its top shooter. You can get into this space before the fight starts or during the boss fight. Just make sure you fly into this gap before destroying Nucleus or else you'll lose the chance to get to the last bonus stage.

Music

SCC enhanced soundtrack

Historic Soldier
Beginning of the History
Challenger 1985
Beat Back
Blank Mask
Free Flyer
Bone Stage
Mazed Music
Mechanical Globule
Extra Stage
Final Attack
Aircraft Carrier
All Pattern Clear
Game Over

MSX PSG soundtrack

Beginning of the History
Challenger 1985
Aircraft Carrier
Beat Back
Blank Mask
Free Flyer
Bone Stage
Mazed Music
Mechanical Globule
Final Attack
Historic Soldier
All Patern Clear
Extra Stage
Game Over

Star Man fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So how many more versions of the first game are there?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Choco1980 posted:

So how many more versions of the first game are there?

Too many. The MSX version is noteworthy for launching the MSX side series. I might do the PC-Engine port if only because it also has the extra bone stage, but it was completely redone.

Gradius was ported to drat near everything that could run a video game in the 80s. There are editions on Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, NEC PC-8801, and ZX Spectrum. Arcade ports are on Windows, Sharp X68000, Playstation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo DS, PSP, cell phones, and most recently on the Arcade Archives on PS4. Salamander was also ported to about as many consoles too.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I was going to jokingly say 28 and that doesn't look that far off.

Can we move on when nothing new, like bonus areas, are added?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Major_JF posted:

I was going to jokingly say 28 and that doesn't look that far off.

Can we move on when nothing new, like bonus areas, are added?

The next game is Gradius 2 on MSX, which is all new stuff. Then Salamander on Famicom/NES, which has a bunch of changes, and then its MSX version which gets even further away from the original arcade game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
You have to give Gradius MSX credit for having Tentacle Golems that don't really cause any slowdown (although it's hard to tell through the inherent choppiness). I bet the large enemy sprites are actually background elements.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They might be. Points capsules and 1-ups in bonus stages will erase the pegs when you uncover one in a bonus stage.

Finals this week and then I can go on an MSX recording spree.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just recorded what's probably going to be the second-longest video for the entire thread.

Oh god.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Star Man posted:

I just recorded what's probably going to be the second-longest video for the entire thread.

Oh god.

The actual longest video is going to be V, isn't it?

But that's for later. Let the mostly-best music times begin! :toot:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm excited, Gradius 2 MSX is one of the more... interesting games in the series for sure.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gradius V is the longest game to complete a single loop. It's about 80 minutes per loop. Gradius 2 MSX takes 50-70 minutes, but I'll hold off on describing why until the video is posted.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:f5:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Be patient. I just have to re-record an entire video because openMSX ruined an input recording and I die five minutes in by backing into a bullet that was probably sprite flickered away during play.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress. After openMSX loving ate a 70-minute video, I am really discouraged from redoing this. So much for having a video by the end of the week!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Star Man posted:

gently caress. After openMSX loving ate a 70-minute video, I am really discouraged from redoing this. So much for having a video by the end of the week!

If it makes you feel any better, re-watching some of these videos got me to pick up Gradius V. This game rules!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just did another input recording of Gradius 2 in openMSX. So far the recording is past the part my first recording got ruined by. I hope it stays this way and I can get an update in next week :ohdear:

EDIT: YES IT DIDN'T gently caress UP

Star Man fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Starman, I notice a theme with all of your LPs. Some might say...that you are reaching for the stars?

I am sorry you lost your 70 min video, been really enjoying this thread so far, thanks!

EDIT: Salamander on the NES wasn't released in the US right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Master Mathuinsaur posted:

Starman, I notice a theme with all of your LPs. Some might say...that you are reaching for the stars?

I am sorry you lost your 70 min video, been really enjoying this thread so far, thanks!

EDIT: Salamander on the NES wasn't released in the US right?

There's two versions. Salamander was released on Famicom in Japan in 1986. You're allowed to have three options, there is no Konami Code, there's are end credits, and there's like four extra enemies in stage four. The international version is Life Force on the NES and you can only use two options, the power-up meter uses a different graphic, and there are no end credits.

We're recording Gradius 2 MSX commentary tomorrow night. I also have a backlog of a few other videos to go through too. It's just time, scheduling, and dealing with my other projects.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I found this yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0pHjtqK6z8

Holy gently caress, it sounds amazing. Has some of those nice C64-esque warbles in it too. Can't remember if you've done Gradius 2 FC yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh neat.

By the way, for those of you with the money to burn, Konami is releasing an album of the X68000 version of Gradius II. It will have every sound card option on the album, so you'll get to listen to the variations of the game's music on different hardware. Release is on January 23rd.

http://www.konamistyle.jp/item/73273

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Co-hosts: ShinerCCC and Tyebo

Gradius 2 MSX is the first sequel in the MSX spin-off series of Gradius games, released in 1987 and as Nemesis 2 in Europe. The core mechanics of the series stay the same, but Gradius 2 MSX ushers in the side series' own mechanics that remain exclusive to them. This game is not to be confused with Gradius II Arcade or the Famicom port. Gradius 2 MSX is a completely unrelated game and was released a year before the sequel to the original arcade game was.

Plot

In Gradius year 6658, James Burton is enlisted to pilot the Vic Viper and defeat the Bacterian Empire as they invaded planet Gradius. James Burton succeeds in his mission and is hailed as a great hero of Gradius.

In 6664, the Director General of the Space Science Agency and designer of the Vic Viper, Dr. Venom, is exiled to the planet Sard after attempting a coup d'éta against Emperor Lars XVII.

During his exile on Sard, Dr. Venom allies with the Bacterian Empire and builds up a massive army in the year 6665 and begins to make attacks on Gradian space.

As Dr. Venom wages his war against Gradius, James Burton is called into action to fight against Venom's army. He pilots the newly developed Metalion fighter to carry out his assignment.

Power-ups

The power-ups available in Gradius 2 MSX are exactly the same as they are in Gradius 1 MSX. They are:

Speed-up increases the rate that the Metalion moves around the screen. You can have up to six speed-ups active.

The Metalion fires a missile beneath its hull that falls to the ground and travels along the ground. It can be upgraded a second time to increase the velocity of the missile.

The Metalion fires a second shot at a 45-degree angle upwards. Double cannot be used at the same time as laser.

The Metalion fires a powerful laser beam that will penetrate small enemies and destroy everything in a line. The laser can be upgraded to fire a longer beam. Laser cannot be used at the same time as double.

The Metalion is followed by a flashing red orb that mimics its movements and weapons. You can have up to two options at once.

The force field will protect the Metalion from damage in front of it for about ten hits. Stronger attacks will deplete the shield instantly, so be careful.

Bonus Weapons

In Gradius 2 MSX, you can acquire new weapons to add to the power meter. These new weapons will add cells to the power meter or they will be upgrades to the default power-ups. To get them, you must defeat a boss with a core quickly and then fly into the shaft and into the core. You will then enter a core stage filled with turrets and flying enemies. Survive and destroy the barrier at the end of the stage to be rewarded with a new power-up. If you can defeat a core boss fast enough, you will win two upgrades. Finish a little slower and you'll only get one upgrade. Take too long or once you have all of the upgrades, you will receive nothing. These hidden power-ups are always obtained in the same order, no matter how late you start acquiring these upgrades.

The first upgrade to the Metalion is the up laser. The up laser will fire a beam vertically from the ship's canopy. Up laser can be upgraded so that the beam will increase in width as it travels. The up laser can also be used in conjunction with the regular laser power-up, but not with double.

The second upgrade for Metalion is the down laser. It functions similarly to the up laser and has the same upgrade. It can't be used at the same time as up laser or missile, but can be used simultaneously with double and laser.

The third upgrade is the napalm missile and is the second upgrade to your missile. The missile will travel through weak enemies and leave behind an explosion that will damage or destroy enemies that pass through it.

The fourth upgrade is the reflex ring, which is the first upgrade to double. Metalion will fire a round projectile that trafvels a short distance forward and boomerangs back to the Metalion. You can only have one shot on the screen per ship and per option at a time, thus giving it a very low firing rate. Reflex ring can be used with up laser, unlike the regular double.

The fifth upgrade is a second upgrade to laser. Metalion now fires two laser beams, which doubles the width of your attack.

The sixth upgrade is the back beam, which gets its own cell on the power meter. A second shot is fired from the rear of the Metalion. Back beam can't be used with any power-up in the double cell or with laser.

The seventh and final upgrade the Metalion can receive is the fire blaster as the second upgrade to double, after selecting reflex ring. The fire blaster spews a short-range tongue of fire. The power-up is bugged, however, and will deal very little damage. Weak enemies have to be under the fire for a few seconds before being destroyed.

Items

There are a few items that can be found to add to your arsenal. These items activate as soon as you pick them up and all have a timer.

Enemy Slow - this item will slow the scrolling speed and enemy movement and fire temporarily.

Vector Laser - this item temporarily changes your forward shot into the powerful vector laser. The beam grows in size as it travels, but is stopped by terrain.

Option Warrior - your options will circle the Metalion for a short while.

Rotary Drill - the Metalion will start to spin for fifteen seconds, allowing you to destroy destructible blocks by colliding into them. You will die if you collide into an enemy, projectile, or terrain.

Bosses

Riot Warship - the Riot is a Big Core in a new body. It will shoot six shots at you and move up and down. After a while, it will move to the front of the screen and eventually back to a position that you can attack it from.

Misfit Warship - the Misfit will attack by firing four long beams while moving up and down. The beams will move vertically with Misfit until they fully leave the muzzle of the cannons. Misfit reappears in stage three, firing in bursts of two lasers instead of a single long beam from its four guns.

Mayhem Warship - the Mayhem fires bolts of lightning in your direction and will ram you after the bolts leave the screen. Reappears in stage five.

Biological Organism - this organism fights similarly to the Nucleus from Gradius 1. Its projectiles can be destroyed. Shoot the lobes on the top and bottom of the creature to defeat it.

Block Core - this small boss will move up and down and fire at you while you try to avoid the platforms that are bouncing vertically in the room. Duckers will come in from the back to provide support for the Block Core.

Abaddon Warship - the final boss of stage seven, Abaddon will fire a large cluster of lasers at you and will sweep the screen by moving up or down. Avoiding the beam is difficult because the girth of the beam will reach the very edge of the top or bottom of the screen, and you don't know which way it will got. Try to stay in the middle of the screen before it fires and move in the opposite direction that Abaddon does once it fires.

Venom - after defeating Abaddon and revisiting each stage in the game in reverse order, fighting tougher bosses and enemies, you will reach Venom's mothership and fight the five-eyed devil head-on. Venom has holed up inside the core of his mothership and will fire bolts of lightning at you if you damage the core. Four cannons will also fire shots at you while you avoid the lightning bolts. Stay directly under the bottom cannon and let your options attack Venom's core to defeat him.

Cheat Codes

Inserting certain games into the MSX's second port while Gradius 2 MSX is in port one will allow you to use certain cheat codes or abilities.

With Q-Bert in slot two -

Pause the game with the F1 key, enter the code, and press return on the MSX keyboard.

LARS18th - full power-ups.
METALION - you are invincible for 45 seconds.
NEMESIS - skip to the next stage.

With Knightmare 2: the Maze of Galious in slot two-

You will keep your power-ups when you die. They will not be kept if you have to use a continue.

With Penguin Adventure in slot two -

You will play as Pentaro the Penguin and the power-ups will be replaced with fish icons.

Extra Stages

Gradius 2 MSX features extra stages, just like its predecessor. Finding these hidden stages requires flying into the correct spot in select stages. You will fly past the rest of the stage and commence the bonus stage when you find them. These stages can all be visited a second time as you do your loop back after stage seven.

Extra Stage 1 - found in stage three. Get to it before the platform falls to the ground or you'll miss your chance.

Extra Stage 2 - found in stage six. Use the R. Drill item to fly backwards into the blocks to reach the secret location.

Extra Stage 3 - found in extra stage two. Yes, the hidden warp to the last bonus stage is hidden in a bonus stage. Tricky!

Music

Above the Horizon - opening theme
Starting Point - Metalion launches
A Journey to the Start - air battle
Killer Coast Land - stage one
A Fighter - boss theme
A Planet of Plants - stage two
Red Diamond - stage three
Dancing Venus - stage four
Blazed Up - stage five
Frontier Disputes - stage six
Tears Began Gushing - bonus stage
Don't Leave Me Alone - stage seven
Killer Love - Dr. Venom attacks Gradius
Moonspin - stage fourteen/final stage
Powerful Waves - core bonus stage
Dream of a Dreamer - ending theme
War is Over - game over

Synthetic Life - unsused track

Selections from Suite Gradius Fantasia

The Ancient Planet - Red Diamond
Return to the Planet - Killer Love

Selections from Perfect Selection Gradius Chapter 2

Ancient Planet Theme - Red Diamond
Fortress Planet Theme - Don't Leave Me Alone
Ending Theme - Dream of a Dreamer
Air Battle Theme - A Journey to the Start
Giant Planet Theme - Killer Coast Land

Selections from Gradius in Classic II

Act II, Part 1 - A Planet of Plants
Act II, Part 2 - Red Diamond
Act II, Part 3 - Killer Love
Act II, Part 4 - Don't Leave Me Alone

Selections from MIDI Power Pro 7 - Gradius

Ancient Theme - Planet in Colossus - Red Diamond
Theme of Return - Killer Love

Selections from Otomedius Original Soundtrack

Don't Leave Me Alone

A Journey to the Start
A Fighter
Killer Coast Land
Red Diamond
Dancing Venus

Star Man fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 9, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Watched through a whole longplay of this a while ago and never once noticed MISSILIE on the powerup bar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The concept of getting access to new powerups as the game goes on is pretty neat. Too bad they're all useless, brokenly good, or bugged. Thanks for the video!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dabir posted:

Watched through a whole longplay of this a while ago and never once noticed MISSILIE on the powerup bar.

Oh. My. God.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
DOS is just software. What was probably meant in the video is that the hardware itself isn't built for scrolling.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, DOS was hard to implement scrolling in. That was id's major triumph with... was it Commander Keen? Smooth scrolling levels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

No, DOS was hard to implement scrolling in. That was id's major triumph with... was it Commander Keen? Smooth scrolling levels.

Yeah, the prototype of Keen was the first level of Super Mario Bros, as I recall, but Nintendo wasn't interested in doing a port so they made their own IP instead.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Dabir posted:

But I don't believe DOS controls the display of graphics like that. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was entirely up to the programmer to do anything graphical, wasn't it? With game consoles, a lot of the display functions were built into the hardware and didn't have to be written out by a programmer to make it happen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The MSX was a PC.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

My point isn't affected by that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Long-story-short, it's a memory quirk with the video controller chip itself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX_Video_access_method

Pneub fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 5, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Update status: Salamander Famicom update is coming soonish. We recorded audio for an extra loops video where I break one million points (though we spent maybe two minutes out of 86 talking about the game in all) and did the main video with a very special guest a while ago. I'm stuck in not-quite midterm hell with a lot of writing to do on Chaucer, rhetoric and style, ethics, and a scholarship application all next week before I can get to work on the galaxy of animated gifs that I love to fill these updates with and to mix audio. Stay tuned.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We recorded a two-player video. UZ would like to let you all know that it's party time and that Star Man's body can be found at these coordinte;lksjdfg;lkafjg;aldfkgjk;lfdt

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Co-host - Mallory

Salamander Famicom is the first of two console ports of the arcade game Salamander. It was released as Life Force in North America on the NES and as Life Force Salamander in Europe and South Korea. The port is a blending of both the arcade version of Salamander and the arcade game Lifeforce and adds a few things unique to this version.

Here are a list of changes:

Salamander Arcade
    Keeps stages one, three, four, and six.
    Removes stages two and five, but keeps the music from stage five ("Burn the Wind").
    Stage four (the volcano stage) is now stage two.
    Big Core rush is removed from stage six and put in stage five.
    The reused stages have been altered, along with their bosses and enemies

Lifeforce
    Uses the same power meter system.
    Reuses music from stage two ("Thunderbolt").

Salamander Famicom
    Stages four and five are new and unique to this port.
    New bosses and enemies for the new stages.
    Blue capsules are introduced and destroy all enemies on screen..
    Extra lives and hidden bonus scores are available.
    The force field now sheaths the player in an energy field and absorbs projectiles from all angles.
    The Konami Code is in the international releases.
    In two-player, a player that has a game over can press the A-button and take an extra life from the other player.

Power-ups

The speed-up will increase the speed of the player's ship and increase the space between their options. You may have up to ten speed-ups activated.

The missile upgrade will fire two missiles vertically from the player's ship. Each missile will trace the contour of the terrain until it collides with an enemy. The missile can be selected a second time to increase the velocity of the missiles.

The ripple upgrade fires a ring of energy that expands as it travels. Ripple cannot be used simultaneously as the laser.

The laser upgrade fires a long beam that will pierce through weaker enemies. Moving your ship up and down will make the beam move accordingly, allowing you to sweep the screen with one volley. The laser can be upgraded to fire a faster beam. Laser cannot be used simultaneously as the ripple.

The option mimics the movements and weapons of the player's ship. In the Japanese version, you can have up to three options on-screen at once, but only two option on-screen in the US and European version. If the player dies, their options will drift to the left or bottom side of the screen. They can be captured by either player before they go off-screen.

The force field will protect the player's ship from all directions by absorbing weak projectiles and destroying weak enemies on impact. You will be awarded points for taking enemy fire with the force field.

Bosses

Brain Golem - you now have more room to fight Brain Golem in the Famicom/NES game. You can even fly into the floor and wall before they deteriorate and release the monster. At higher loops, the hands will fire projectiles and try to grab you faster. Try flying into the eye with a force field activated!

Tetran - now the stage two boss following a weakened Center Core. The fight is mostly the same as it was in the arcade games. When the arms expand far enough, it is possible to fly between the arms and the ship where they would normally connect to each other. In higher loops, Tetran will change the direction that it swings its arms.

Intruder - the dragon you fight at the end of the stage is a callback to the Intruder from the arcade games, but is only a tease. The real Intruder is now so big that you can only see its head and some of its neck. It moves up and down the screen, breathing bolts of fire. Its weak point is its nose and front teeth.

Giga - the first of two new bosses. Giga will spew out bullets in your direction. After it has sustained enough damage, it will extract its eyeballs which will follow you around until you destroy them or the boss.

Tutanhamanattack - Tutanha...Tutankaman...what? This boss begins as a dormant pharaoh mask entombed in the walls at the end of stage five. It will try to collapse the room on you before it awakens, but the bricks are easily dodged. When it's released, Tutanhamanattack will shield itself with eight orbs that orbit around it like a gyroscope. The orbs will fire at you in volleys. Shoot the eye to destroy it.

Zelos Force - it will not try to ram you from the bottom of the screen, but it is now protected by a serpent that slithers around the sphere, dropping projectiles as it moves. Once the serpent is killed, shoot the pulsating core to beat Zelos Force. You can fly around it after a while instead, but you will be sent to stage four if you opt not to destroy it after the high-speed corridor that follows the boss.

Cheat Codes

Konami Code - input up, up, down, down, B, A, Start on the title screen to have 30 lives at the start of the game. For two-player, player one must input up, up, down, down, B, A, Select, Start. This code only works in the US and European versions. You do not have to input left, right, left, right. The code will still work if you do input the horizontal directions, but you don't have to.

Music

Power of Anger
Starfield
Planet Ratis
Burn the Wind
Thunderbolt
Aircraft Carrier
Destroy Them All
Poison of Snake
Peace Again
Crystal Forever
Combat - unused track

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I'm just glad I could find all those Nietzsche quotes

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Dang, always cool to hear people's memories, how they got into things, and also cool, if odd, to see Tutankha- Tutun- Tutamanattacky-type-dude and the other bosses that are different!

...Wait, are we finally out of the Gradius 1 remakes? Are you finally free?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
You never finished the GameFAQs Mega Man story. :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JamieTheD posted:

Dang, always cool to hear people's memories, how they got into things, and also cool, if odd, to see Tutankha- Tutun- Tutamanattacky-type-dude and the other bosses that are different!

...Wait, are we finally out of the Gradius 1 remakes? Are you finally free?

I'm going to do the PC Engine version of Gradius as the very last port of it. The bone stage was added in from the MSX version, but redone. It will provide context for something later. But that will come after a handful of other games.

FreezingInferno posted:

I don't even remember where I was going with that. I was probably going to say something about Procyon Lotor's Mega Man walkthrough from 1995 covering everything released up until that point. The names he used for the Mavericks in Mega Man X1 and Mega Man X2 were just the second words. I hadn't played those games then, so I didn't know that Penguin was Chill Penguin, and so on. Very uninteresting stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm in the process of ripping sprites for the next game. I think Salamander (MSX) is my least favorite game in this whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

FreezingInferno posted:

"And then everybody died. The end."

- Star Man, probably

• Locked thread