Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
"Dear, we really need to cut back. Due to routinely cooking food for 80 other people and never charging a dime, we'll need to leverage the house."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kasan posted:

Several of my friends are currently out of commission from broken wrists, twisted ankles and cracked ribs. You's essentially being hit with a baseball bat by somebody who actually knows how to swing it for maximum force and efficiency. I don't really do the heavy combat (I have a partial suit of armor that's a mix between stainless steel, air craft aluminum and plastic, but no helmet because gently caress those are expensive and I don't have the skill yet to make one myself), but I do participate heavily in the arts, service and thrown weapons. I can accurate hit a 3"^2 target from up to 30 feet with axes.

Primarily I cook feasts at events. We two manned a feast for 98 people earlier this month because the volunteers that signed up to help in the kitchen didn't make it to the event. Everything was fluid until we got to the point we started in on making Bonnie Prince Charles Chicken. Trying to pan fry 75 lbs of chicken and make sauces before transferring to a giant pot to hold it all with only three usable burners set us back nearly 2 hours. But man, those feels when the kitchen staff receive a standing ovation.

I was asked to teach a couple of classes at an upcoming learning event called Collegium (basically people teach something they know, ranging from something as simple as Cornet Identification and proper terms of address all the way to Exchequer 101-301 which is basically a 6 hour crash course in accounting.). I'll be teaching a class on how to make a period "correct" Scandinavian bread utilizing grains and nuts that are/were common to the area at the time (importing flour is loving expensive but man the bread is good) and a class on the preparation and history of an SCA Feast staple: Savory Toasted Cheese.

tl;dr: Join the SCA. Get you head caved in and enjoy a delicious feast with all the home brewed mead and spirits you can drink afterwards.

Edit: Croatoan, my grammar has always been horrible. You've pointed that out a couple times over the last 7 years.

Yes, I do cook food for very large numbers of people, it's why I have an absurdly stupid amount of oils, salts and other things I didn't list because you don't put them in pasta.

So what im gathering from this

You would rather be hit with a baseball bat by this guy:

Than be hit by one from this guy:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll back him up - SCA has tons of weirdos and nerds in it, but the combat is legit sport stuff. I used to do it, and still would but there's no organization close enough to me to make it worth my time. Heavy armored combat is serious cudgeling people, no larping poo poo. Steer clear of the people who try to reenact Shakespeare and the Renfair types and it's a hell of a time. Like in this bridge battle below - doing this for 10 hours and then hanging out by the campfire with your bros is a pretty good weekend. Even better are the large scale battles with a few hundred people on each side at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2f3perFGw
Liked yalls reenactment of Pearl Harbor

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

whoflungpoop posted:

:jiggled:

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

So what im gathering from this

You would rather be hit with a baseball bat by this guy:

Than be hit by one from this guy:

Judging by the armor the latter is wearing, I'd rather be hit by him because he's probably a Rennfaire geek and not an actual fighter in the SCA. Realistically, I'd rather just not get hit. Like I said. I cook,

And, no people pay for the feasts and the event subsidizes the cost up to a point. Sometimes I go over budget and spend money out of pocket, sometimes I'm under budget. Most of the time there's left over stuff that doesn't get used in the cooking process so it just comes home with me, so I end up with a lot of stuff I won't use between events.

The context of my original post is a rarity, not the norm. The last time I had a bare pantry was when I moved away from home for the first time in the 90s and I still hadn't grasped that my parents house wasn't a substitute for actual grocery shopping, or learning to cook or thrive. I've restocked my larder with non-perishables, bought some delicious local produce and poultry and lamb and beefs and restocked my freezer for the month.

Edit:

whoflungpoop posted:

What's this from, it looks amazing.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Kasan posted:

I've restocked my larder with non-perishables, bought some delicious local produce and poultry and lamb and beefs and restocked my freezer for the month.

Kasan posted:

I've restocked my larder

Kasan posted:

my larder

:redhammer:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

It's a low blow going after a man's wife like that

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

you dont need to buy all the food you will consume in one trip jesus

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Call a hammer a hammer?

Edit:

fyodor posted:

you dont need to buy all the food you will consume in one trip jesus

I didn't. I did get enough protein for the month because it was cheap, but I'll make weekly trips to the grocery store and the farmers market for more veggies and any thing I need that I don't have on hand for a recipe.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cross posting this from a GBS thread (I know I know) but it might be helpful for you OP seeing as you do not seem to like grocery shopping like normal people do:

http://www.costco.com/emergency-kits-supplies.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kasan posted:

he's probably a Rennfaire geek and not an actual fighter in the SCA.

nobody in your meetup group is an "actual fighter" whatever that means

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

someone should show up with ye olde glocke 19 and make things interesting

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

fyodor posted:

nobody in your meetup group is an "actual fighter" whatever that means

well, i assume most of them will eventually be fighting heart disease

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

fyodor posted:

someone should show up with ye olde glocke 19 and make things interesting

lol talk about a latin kick, ese

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

By a cauldron. Everday make a huge pot of "brown". Use your pasta sauce as it's base. Take it to SCA. Barter bowls for other goods. Soon you shall be restocked.

Your rep in SCA will skyrocket.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Demora posted:

Please, keep in character, his rep will "tirbuchete"

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

What are the best larder-stable foods to restore Mana?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I went to a sca event before because my roomates were nerds like you and they said there'd be a lot of drinking and sex

If only they had mentioned that the drink was weird honey mead poo poo some nerd made in his bathtub and the sex was homely drunk men with crowbars trying to pop the corsets off of large girls

Oh and they had cooks there making godawful food like you too, it's kinda hard to make a camp without horses and latrines stink that bad but thankfully yall are really committed to your vision

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kasan posted:

Edit:

What's this from, it looks amazing.

How can you be this big a nerdo and not recognize Monty Python when you see it :confused:

You are a living paradox, my friend.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol i just realized you cant afford a helmet, food, and some of your armor is plastic

congratulations

you're a literal serf in 2015

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Demora posted:

By a cauldron. Everday make a huge pot of "brown". Use your pasta sauce as it's base. Take it to SCA. Barter bowls for other goods. Soon you shall be restocked.

I actually have a 30 gallon cast iron cauldron that gets used to make stews and soups. It's good when you want to feed people numbering in the hundreds for lunch.

Edit:

proof of concept posted:

How can you be this big a nerdo and not recognize Monty Python when you see it :confused:

You are a living paradox, my friend.

Is it from Flying Circus? I don't actually remember too many of the flying circus episodes. It's been quite a few years since I've seen them. I should remedy that.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

you're a literal serf in 2015

He's a loving *Hedge Knight*, you plebe.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

Kasan posted:

I actually have a 30 gallon cast iron cauldron that gets used to make stews and soups. It's good when you want to feed people numbering in the hundreds for lunch.

What's the biggest soup you ever made

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Kasan posted:

It's also good for putting dry ice in to really give your Halloween parties that "spooky" kick!

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

BanhMi posted:

What's the biggest soup you ever made

20~ gallons of a beef and barley the first time I actually used it. I learned some important lessons about cast iron cooking over an open flame, such as if you stop stirring and leave it over the fire, the stuff sinking to the bottom will turn to charcoal and make the whole batch of soup taste like poo poo.

Libelous Slander posted:

It's also good for putting dry ice in to really give your Halloween parties that "spooky" kick!

I never thought of that, I'll have to remember that come Halloween this year.

Edit: Edited the OP, to reflect that the crisis is over. Stick around for the hobby chat/trolling/shaming.

Kasan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

Kasan posted:

20~ gallons of a beef and barley the first time I actually used it. I learned some important lessons about cast iron cooking over an open flame, such as if you stop stirring and leave it over the fire, the stuff sinking to the bottom will turn to charcoal and make the whole batch of soup taste like poo poo.

I never thought of that, I'll have to remember that come Halloween this year.

Edit: Edited the OP, to reflect that the crisis is over. Stick around for the hobby chat/trolling/shaming.

You need to cook for your SCA peeps more often in your pot. The iron leeched from the pot will give your fighting men +1 Healing.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kasan posted:

I actually have a 30 gallon cast iron cauldron that gets used to make stews and soups. It's good when you want to feed people numbering in the hundreds for lunch..

Word to the wise for when you lose your home, the other hobos won't be into fantasy larping so what you call "brown" they will be calling Mulligan Stew, but other than that it works basically the same as what you described for feeding big groups, just chuck whatever scraps you got in there and boil.

Just a little tip to keep you from getting shanked :ocelot:

Kasan posted:

Is it from Flying Circus? I don't actually remember too many of the flying circus episodes. It's been quite a few years since I've seen them. I should remedy that.

It was in And Now For Something Completely Different, so yeah

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:staredog: holy poo poo this thread took a turn

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mindphlux posted:

:staredog: holy poo poo this thread took a turn

Oh look 52 new posts they must really want to know about my pasta saaaaaaannnope.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When you make a pasta sauce as interesting as going bankrupt from your suit of armor we will definitely talk about that

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
I just like hearing more about my supposed financial ruin, :munch:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kasan posted:

I just like hearing more about my supposed financial ruin, :munch:

You literally couldn't afford food

Don't try to backpedal your way out of this, King Arthur

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Kasan posted:

Croatoan, my grammar has always been horrible. You've pointed that out a couple times over the last 7 years.

I had no idea I was that consistent but your pasta was "editable".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fetus Tree posted:

:thurman:

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I had no idea I was that consistent but your pasta was "editable".

I may or may not have been on my phone for that post, but point taken.

Fetus Tree posted:

Only getting paid once a month can be a bitch sometimes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Fetus Tree posted:

Ayy lamo

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kasan posted:

Only getting paid once a month can be a bitch sometimes.

Mods, in the interest of keeping Camelot's larders stocked with the finest rabbits and fowl in the kingdom, I recommend thee move thread to the finance subforum

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Voted 5

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fetus Tree posted:

Mods, in the interest of keeping Camelot's larders stocked with the finest rabbits and fowl in the kingdom, I recommend thee move thread to the finance subforum

second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
did they ever use coconut oil in medieval times?

• Locked thread