Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm the pleased face you see underneath Vitor's leg while watching the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Nierbo posted:

ufc 88 has some garbage prelims

Well it features Henry Cejudo who could easily become the top contender if he does something impressive. Now while his skills aren't quite there enough yet, who knows, maybe he finally gets a KO or a sub in the octagon and he's automatically the next dude for Mighty Mouse. And in general he's a fuckin cool dude. I'm also interested to see what happens in Escudero vs Dober cause neither guy has a lot to lose at this point. And we also get Cathal Pendred somehow failing his way upwards to a title shot.

unless you mean the actual UFC 88 from 100 cards ago. That's not very nice to Tim Boetsch, however.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

my favorite thing is the shitload of condoms all over everywhere.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it's not the size of the condom it's how many you have. you want the first impression to be a "shitload"

Jon Jones was in the middle of driving from one girl's house to another when he hit the pregnant lady at 4 am. He was in a pussy craze and didn't see the red light. I don't know if the judge will have sympathy or not but it's what his legal team should build his defense around.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

edit: 2,750 tests per year. This averages out to 5.5 per year per athlete

:stare: though most should be reserved for the heavyweight division.

Still, if that is evenly distributed that means fighters will get tested at least twice per camp. That's pretty dang good.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

lmao @ Bader

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Le Saboteur posted:

I hope Weidman/Rockhold & DC/Gus are on the same card. That is a hell of a show.

Doubtful. UFC has nothing lined up after August and it's a long ways away from the possible December 5th NYC show or the equally massive Calgary card that should happen if the first falls through. RDA is supposed to be out until December and I'm gonna guess that Aldo/McGregor II will be postponed for a while as well to maximize buyrates. Ronda already said she has movies lined up after UFC 190 and isn't expecting to compete for the rest of 2015 but that could change... maybe. And Anderson, GSP, and Diaz are all out for the time being too. Jones probably won't be back until December either.

So you've got Robbie, Weidman, and DC as the only guys UFC can build on PPV from September through November. Maybe Cain Velasquez does the impossible and fights twice within 4 months but that's the least likely thing of all the things I just mentioned. Mighty Mouse and TJ will make an appearance on some card or another but I doubt UFC wants to repeat last year where they headlined every other major card and then experienced the worst business in years.

tl;dr: I could see them holding off on Weidman/Rockhold but DC/Gus is gonna happen ASAP.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

If aldo/mcgregor turns out in a way they can really sell an immediate rematch my money is it will be the new years card.

Or if they can get jones back by then he'll headline it.

Yep that sounds like a perfect date for it. I mean if McGregor somehow blows away Aldo you could also do McGregor vs Frankie on that date... but gently caress it Aldo & McGregor already have such a great rivalry going before the first fight that any outcome of the match is gonna make it need a big stage for the followup and NYE in Vegas would do it. Conor already said in that interview a few pages back that he's talked to UFC about it and he sees himself defending his title first in Vegas before going to Dublin.

The crazy thing about doing a big show with UFC 194 is I'm not sure if UFC is planning much for UFC 200. It sounds like for UFC 100 they didn't give a poo poo until the fans did and then they ran with it. But UFC could also be interested in getting DC's fight done before the end of the year so they have a good shot at DC/Jones II happening at UFC 200. Except for GSP's probable return fight it's the biggest match they have coming up so I could see it headlining that card next summer.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Sam Alvey is good poo poo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

At this point though Cain would have to go missing for a few days for them to cancel the fight, and even then, I wouldn't put it past UFC trying to get an impostor in there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yeah Brian Ebersole's career petered out real hard at the end but his first fight with Lytle was great. The fight itself was good, but it was also because he was some unknown guy replacing Condit and everybody was like "aww gently caress Condit vs Lytle was gonna be a war I guess Chris is gonna get the easy win now..." and then he came in and had a good fight.

Meowbot posted:

does ebersole go down in history as person with most MMA fights or is there some other person? maybe he will be in the hall of fame because 70 fights is impressive even if you are not the greatest fighter.

No not even close. Guys like Dan Severn and Travis Wiuff have many more and those are off the top of my head

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I do believe it was Miguel Torres who has had like 80 undocumented fights, or whatever Frank Mir said

Wise Learned Man posted:

Shannon Ritch would never have come to mind as a guy with that many fights even though he's been around forever.

I think Shannon Ritch is a guy who has taken a lot of fights for the purpose of taking dives, so that record is a little janky. it isn't hard to rack up 100 pro fights if you make it a plan to lose 10 a year to make a couple extra bucks.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Meowbot posted:

I've never heard of Travis Fulton before but how can you have 311 fights and 250 wins and not even be considered by the UFC?

Joe Silva is really good at his job and has been following the sport since before Fulton turned pro. I do believe Fulton fought in pre-Zuffa UFC though.

The thing is MMA records aren't about the number of opponents you've beaten or how many times you've gone undefeated in the jungle fight, it's about quality of opponents and what can you actually do? Beating up a million no-names in smaller promotions isn't going to get the attention of UFC as quick as beating a guy fans are familiar with or having skills so impressive word travels around gyms & other circles and quickly gets to Joe Silva or Sean Shelby.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that was one of the matches I was calling for and I think it's gonna be interesting, but unfortunately for the Mag Man it's only a 3 rounder. Maia should be tough as hell for the first round or two like he usually is. Magny's gonna either finish it in the 3rd or not at all and lose a decision

UFC 190 is a pretty decent card now if it holds up.

Ronda fight, Nog vs Shogun, Nog vs Struve, Mag vs Maia.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yeah the only recent modesty I've heard from a champion was when Jon Jones said he wasn't sure if he could beat Anderson Silva. That slowly changed over time though until they became friends and exchanged drug testing tricks.

not to say though that Joanna isn't a cool person and a good champion for UFC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I can't believe that a UFC title is gonna be defended on Fight Pass, especially since Joanna Champion could get over quickly with fans on a high profile Fox card or something. Though maybe the UFC thinks that an eventual Gadelha rematch would end up in a title change anyways.
UFC didn't plan on it. Originally it was supposed to be Gustafsson vs Glover on the Fight Pass card and then Gustafsson pulled out. So they needed somebody to appeal to a European audience as a headliner.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I feel like the UFC needs Werdum to win here. It'd help preserve the fatweight division if they could squeeze a trilogy out of Cain and Werdum. If Cain mauls Werdum like he's done to everyone else, it's hard to imagine another interesting fight for Cain coming from any of the dudes currently available unless Bones gains a lot of weight during his time away.

eh it's not that bleak. Cain vs Arlovski is marketable and would be a worthwhile win on Cain's record. Stipe needs a win that doesn't make everyone feel awful after watching it, but he's a possible contender if he gets another stoppage sometime this year. Mir hasn't had quite the career resurgence as Arlovski but if Mir takes out Duffee next month then he's another former UFC champion that Cain hasn't fought yet. Those type of wins wouldn't look bad on Cain's record at all. And who knows, maybe Alistair impresses everyone and somehow beats JDS.

Werdum vs Cain is the best possible match right now but I don't think it needs to happen immediately over and over again. if Bigfoot Silva were beating everyone again then yeah, we'd be forced into unnecessary rematches.

And if there's any division you should be praying gets a compelling trilogy fight it's gonna be Cormier vs Jones II and III.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Ty1990 posted:

I think Al Iaquinta deserves a siren, personally.

he might get upset if he saw that post

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

I accept that Arlovski is getting a title shot but that's all I'm willing to do. Don't ask me to do more, because I won't

is this leftover stress from the Tim Sylvia days? When he was in Strikeforce everybody told him to quit and he told everyone to gently caress off, and now 5 years later he's on the verge of fighting for the belt. That and being the owner of a pitbull makes Arlovski okay in my book.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Cain looks really fit to me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

colonel_korn posted:

Jessica Aguilar vs Claudia Gadelha just got booked for UFC 190. Gotta be the #1 contender fight I think.

Yep, unfortunately that division is way too new (and WMMA too poor of a reputation) for anybody to care but that's actually a pretty good contender fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

My local fighters are Chad Griggs of former Tucson Scorpions fame and that guy from the worst season of TUF who was so bad he never even made it off the show.

We also have Dominick Cruz but that makes it sound like this is a city that produces success every now and then and lol no

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I enjoy watching Cormier loudly loving with Werdum since he knows Cain doesn't have the personality to do it himself, and I hope to keep things balanced we see Cain confront Jon Jones while Cormier's quietly off eating dinner across the room whenever that Embedded series happens.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

For some reason I really, really feel like Werdum's gonna win this.

I had the exact same feeling before Daniel Cormier fought Jon Jones. Let me explain why you're feeling that way. You saw the contender finish a guy you really like (for Werdum it was Hunt, for Cormier it was Hendo) and you rationalize it as being a good & necessary thing because otherwise you'd be way too upset. So now in your mind you're already rooting for the guy to win. Then after many months of waiting because of a leg injury to the champion (knee for Cain, knee for Jones) you finally get the fight and Nate Marquardt is the 3rd bout of the PPV. Why that always happens I don't know but it's crucial. Anyways, you can expect a close round 1, Werdum to win round 2, and then Cain Velasquez takes over and wins a decision.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

I totally forgot that Overeem has had fights since getting KOd by rothwell, i forgot he killed the tall teen and had a tepid win over Roy nelson where he got knocked out in the last couple seconds but won the decision

Yep. Even though Overeem is a joke again he's improved his UFC record to above .500 at 4-3 which makes him just slightly better than like all the other heavyweights not in the top 5.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if jon jones taught us anything the more swagger you jack the better champion you become. Conor TKO's Aldo by the 3rd.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that's the best I've heard Nate sound in a long time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I might have a pretty bad case of Hendo-back but I don't think most people can do that

what? i thought anytime a bad fight happens we all sucked our own dicks around here?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

23 year old man. just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

cut more weight, you're young, your body can handle it

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Max Holloway vs Charles Oliveira was announced as a 5 rounder for August 23rd. I think both guys are the poo poo but Max should run away with it if he doesn't get taken down.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

everyone gassed against him because of the amount of damage he did and the pace he kept., and he never gassed

I thought he gassed in the 2nd JDS fight but he beat up Junior so badly it didn't matter. You're allowed to gas when you beat the poo poo out of a guy relentlessly for 3 rounds.

I do feel like elevation or no elevation Werdum would be able to withstand Cain's cardio and be the fresher fighter in the championship rounds. JDS can beat Werdum but he's gonna have to fight a really smart fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It's probably going to be a lovely main event

no dude, it won't. Max and Charles have like a dozen performance bonuses between them and they were all well deserved. The only lovely thing that could happen is Oliveira comes in overweight again and possibly has a lackluster performance because of a failed weight cut.

i'll suck my own dick if charles oliveria vs max holloway is anything but amazing

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

Werdums on fire right now for sure.I don't know what to make of his chances against Cain and JDS or Arlovski right now. Obviously they're pretty good. He's been inconsistent in the past, having some laughably bad performances and looking kind of hopeless letting things slip through his fingers like when he was on the cusp of a title shot and got KO'd by one of the greatest KOs ever. Now hes probably going to have to fight Arlovski, then Junior, and realistically? Cain again next year if Cain's legs stay together. Its by far the hardest time ever to hold on to the HW belt. Werdums got to get by two guys who have already beaten him, plus hes got the gypsies curse that comes with beating cain, where you have to fight him two more times and give up 2 years of your career and 10 years of your life.

Since he came back to UFC I just haven't seen a whole lot of weakness from him. I keep thinking he's getting rocked in fights when it turns out he isn't in much danger at all. Like Big Nog looked to be threatening Werdum in round 1 on the feet and Mark Hunt too and then Cain did too in their match, but then he immediately finished all of those guys in the next round and looks to be fully cognitive while doing it. I think Werdum has become excellent at rolling with the punches or some poo poo, I have no idea.

The only concern is Werdum is 38 and most of his peers are younger by a good 5 years. There's no way he doesn't have a drop off in the next 2 years.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

So is arlovski probably next then? I say give it to him as a thank you for years of service and give him a big payday

I'd hope so. If I could book UFC matches, which I can because I'm Joe Silva irl, I would do Arlovski vs Werdum as soon as possible, JDS vs Overeem for the #1 contender, and then put Cain in there against any other HW to get him a brutal KO victory and then another scrub HW after that. Cain can add a couple of names to his highlight reel that would never legitimately challenge him if he were champion and Werdum & JDS get to settle the score this many years later.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Xguard86 posted:

If yall don't like jack slack then who do you like?

whenever knowledgeable goons around here decide to talk about a fight and give some insight into what may happen. I like that a lot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'll handle the next FRB scoop: Cain Velasquez is targeted to be in the co-main event of Werdum's first title defense.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

What about not fighting for like 2 years?
That definitely sucks but as you know AKA fighters get injured like every other fight and for the most part they come back looking good. I don't think Cain looked bad in the Werdum fight either. Cain on that night would have hosed up most of the heavyweight division like he normally does. I think Werdum kicking Cain's rear end mostly had to do with

Skip My Posts posted:

Werdum is awesome though

Thankfully I haven't read any British cunts say Werdum's success at heavyweight has been "very circumstantial" but I feel like it's coming.

LobsterMobster posted:

Melendez is stepping up to fight Iaquinta as the co-main to the Mir/Duffee card

I like that fight a lot, dare I say more than the original match.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dennis Siver hasn't been all that great of a fighter either recently.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

heavyweight's gonna be a real horror show if Werdum can defend the belt a few times and you have to get by either Cain or JDS to get a title shot

I hope Jon Jones gets irrevocably fat over the next year and spends 2016 getting finished by JDS, Cain, and Werdum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Aurain posted:

The path to winning your next fight starts from the day you start training for it and Werdum did it 100% right and nailed everything in the fight too.

Cain hosed up and got messed up for it. There's no excuses in that. It's Cain's fault for thinking he didn't need much time to acclimatise so it's not like he can genuinely say "if I had 6 weeks instead of 2 though!" because he could have had 6 weeks. He could have had 12 if he'd wanted.

Cain Velasquez knew since November 2013 that he was going to be defending his title in Mexico City. That means he had 84 weeks to prepare for the fight. He chose 2 instead. I think that's cool.

• Locked thread